Anybody storing up food?

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
amanda NC

Anybody storing up food?

Postby amanda NC » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:34 pm

I'd really like to start a discussion about this. We are storing food, as my husband is an economist and doesn't see a happy ending at the end of the road our country's on. But storing up isn't so easy when you are as limited and health-conscious as we are. Heck, it has taken me YEARS to move over to almost 100% fresh foods, and now I'm trying to figure out how to live on processed foods again! I have never gardened, or canned, and would love a discussion here.

Some things I've learned....the dry goods without preservatives don't keep very well. I get bugs in our dry cereal pretty quickly--just like my grandma did. The preservatives, etc. are in there for a reason, I see :-). I quit buying cereals and such in bulk from Amazon because it didn't keep.

We can get rice milk pretty cheap at Wal Mart. Also, the gluten-free rice chex have preservatives and barley malt, but they might be really good to have on the shelf, especially if there's someone in the family who can eat them to rotate them out.

We are stocking sugar even though we use very little--might need it to bake some things if we don't have many choices.

Vitamins are a big one to stock--calcium, magnesium, D3, kelp (for iodine) and vitamin C is an important one too. Don't get fruit juices, but the V8 Splash instead, as it has vitamins in there that the regular juices do not. Canned evaporated milk has a much longer shelf life than the powdered--we don't do milk, but I have panicked as I am having trouble spending what it would take to stock a large amount of aseptic packaged rice and almond milk.

Bob's Red Mill has potato starch in 25# bags. Your HFS can order it if they carry the BRM brand. I don't know about tapioca, but am looking.

Brown rice molds quickly. For stocking up, enriched white rice (like Uncle Ben's) is a better bet, as it will keep for a very long time. The mold on the brown rice is why most cultures eat the white instead--it can be very dangerous and can make you quite sick. If you buy it, get high quality and store it in the freezer.

You can freeze eggs for over a year if you break them, scramble them, and then pack in zip-locs and then a heavy overwrap. I do sets of two, freeze them flat so they will stack easily. They also thaw quickly this way.

If you make bread, make sure you have the ingredients you need. I have a simple and pretty good recipe that doesn't have many ingredients if anyone wants it. Learn how to make a couple of good bread products that don't require yeast or baking in an oven, like maybe biscuits and tortillas.

Gosh, there's so much. ANybody want a discussion to get going here? Storing gluten free, especially with other allergy issues, is not on the internet that I can find.
Amanda, mom of 3

JoJo

Re: Anybody storing up food?

Postby JoJo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:27 am

Hi Amanda,

I'd love the bread recipe you mentioned, provided it's gluten free. I have a daughter with Celiac so most of our items are GF.

A couple of years ago, we moved from a larger area to a very rural one. One of the requirements I made when moving here was that I needed a storage building (not closet, I need a building) to help with food storage. We bought a pre-made wooden building with a loft area and it's beside our house. Since we moved onto several acres, we started a garden. Although it's been a bit of a struggle in many ways, I'm very happy with where we are. Our neighbors are great and they know that we have a lot of medical issues (and bills!) and gift us with their produce overage. We buy our eggs from a neighbor and she frequently throws in a dozen free ones. We also pick blueberries at her house and whatever they have when they are finished with their picking (typically peas/beans, plums, apples/pears). Another neighbor gives us potatoes, etc. I started learning how to can last year and did a combination of canning and freezing. I bought a food dehydrator, but was too busy to use it. I plan to put it to work this summer.

We received a chest freezer and an extra refrigerator/freezer that we also use in my pantry area.

I order in bulk from amazon and so far (knock on wood) no bugs. However, this is a very controlled environment and I have moth traps out just in case something comes in with little buggies in it from the company. I check carefully and if it looks like the packaging could be compromised in any way, I throw it in the freezer for 48 hours and then store it in jars (mostly the gf mac n cheese).

I followed a blog for a while where the lady canned everything (and I do mean everything). She canned butter, milk, meat, every veggie you can imagine. She didn't can eggs (but I bet she tried!).

My understanding is that the rice chex no longer uses barley malt as a preservative - I think they use molasses. The barley malt (obviously) would knock them out of the GF category. Since this was a (somewhat) recent change, perhaps the last box you bought was old product? The chex products have worked out really well for our family.

I haven't stocked vitamins yet, but am working on medications. We have an enormous medicine cabinet with a lock on it for various things and first aid supplies. Since we are easily fifteen miles from the local ER (which isn't very good), sometimes we take care of things ourselves.
"... but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

lookingforanswers

Postby lookingforanswers » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm not storing food, but I want to join a farmers' food coop this summer, and I will have leftover fresh fruits and veggies. Does anyone know how to can foods, as in the old Mason jars from Home Ec class?! I'd like instructions on how to can fruits and veggies.

JoJo

Postby JoJo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi LFA,

I started canning last year - I've only done the water bath canning and not pressure canning. The Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving is your best bet for learning how to can. It can be found in wal-mart with all the other canning supplies - I think it was about $5? I googled around for some recipes as well. I made lots of jellies, pickles and relishes last year. I froze most of my fruits and veggies. This year I plan to try pressure canning for some of the veggies. I also purchased a dehydrator.

Any specific questions feel free to ask here or in pm. Also, check your county's extension office - I know that ours offers classes on canning and preserving food.
"... but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

Return to “Recipes”