baby or hand wipes

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
mimicry

baby or hand wipes

Postby mimicry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:33 pm

I've always used these since my son was born. But in light of knowledge about BPA, and feingold restrictions and my love affair with coconut oil, I decided to share.

There are several versions of homemade wipes online, but this is what I've found to work best.

Needed ingredients:
BPA free storage container. I use snap ware's 10 cup, I got it at target. There's an 11 cup one on snap-ware's website that would work well too. http://www.snapware.com/W-60711.html ( I like the flip top lid, makes it easy to grab one handed) Anything similar would work. I just thought I'd give an example!

Roll of bounty basic paper towels. Bounty is the only brand that I've found to hold up well, my sister agrees and she made these for her kids for 15 years.

Liquid soap of your choice

Oil of your choice, I use coconut.

Warm water.

Directions:

Cut the roll of paper towel in half vertically. So you have two small rolls. Force the papertowel into the container. I measure 2 cups of warm water in a measuring cup and add in one tablespoon of coconut oil, then I microwave until the coconut oil is all dissolved. Measure in 1 tablespoon of liquid soap and whisk until the oil and soap is well incorporated. Pour the mixture over the paper towels. Once it's wet it's easy to remove the cardboard center and this helps start the center of the roll to "pop up" so you can easily tear off one sheet at a time. (works like the old round containers of handiwipes)

Better for the environment, better for our kids, and better for the budget! One roll of paper towels makes 2 batches. Considering that a box of about 100 wipes is around $3 the container quickly pays for itself, plus you know it's pba free packaging.

You can also add in a few drops of therapeutic grade essential oils, based on your personal choice for smell or benefit.

Return to “Recipes”