Better Batter Yeast Breads?

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
amanda NC

Better Batter Yeast Breads?

Postby amanda NC » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:39 am

On the Better Batter gf flour mix box it says that you can use any recipe for a yeast bread, but you just double the liquid. Anyone tried this? Seems too good to be true. It's just your average rice/tapioca/potato starch mix, with some potato flour in there too.

As always, hate to throw away $5 in flour and an afternoon to experiment, but man! would it make my life easier to have a good bread. The ones I make (not mixes) are ok, but I sure don't get wows from my family :D Easier to just buy my Sami's Bakery bread or Udi's now that we use a bit of yeast.

The bread has always been the biggest problem for us. Need to get a job to pay for it. Our whole family is gf/cf.
Amanda, mom of 3

amanda NC

Re: Better Batter Yeast Breads?

Postby amanda NC » Wed May 04, 2011 11:53 am

Tried the recipes from the Better Batter web site, and the yeast breads I tried did NOT work out. First try, the recipe said to use only one bread pan. I bake enough that I should have known better, but I thought, hey, it's a company. They wouldn't make such a stupid mistake like that, would they? Yep--it was for two loaves, not one. Gave them the benefit of the doubt, and tried again with two loaves--the bread was very wet. One more try--they say you can substitute this flour cup-for-cup in regular recipes. So I tried a basic muffin, and it was terrible. It needed WAY more water than my recipe called for; for half of the recipe I put it back into the bown and mixed much more in, but then the muffins were really tough.

So no, it did not work for me at all.

HOWEVER--I used the flour in a bread recipe from my Living Without Magazine, and am fixing awesome sandwiches today! Came out great! Had to adjust the liquid a lot, and tweaked another thing or two... I will make the recipe a time or two more and post it if it's a keeper!
Amanda, mom of 3

Return to “Recipes”