I need a coconut macaroon recipe

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
Grace

I need a coconut macaroon recipe

Postby Grace » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:11 am

I forgot the ingreds on the little ones I bought at the pharmacy...I have coconut, honey, daryfree....am i forgetting something?
~Blessed to be called Mama by many~

bizymom

Postby bizymom » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:50 am

I believe there is a simple one on pecanbread.com.

Dana R.

kat281

Postby kat281 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:55 am

This is off foodtv.com Not sure if you can have the milk or maybe you know a substitute?

14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.

Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1 3/4-inch diameter ice cream scoop, or 2 teaspoons. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and serve.

kat281

Postby kat281 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:58 am

Here's another one no milk but lots of sugar! lol

4 large egg whites
Pinch salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 (8-ounce) package sweetened shredded coconut, lightly toasted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixer fitted with a whip attachment. whip egg whites and salt until they become white and begin to stiffen. Add sugar in 3 parts. Continue to whip until the egg whites are very stiff. Using a rubber spatula fold in toasted coconut.
On parchment lined cookie sheets, drop a teaspoon of the mixture leaving 1 to 2 inches around each cookie. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. The outside should be golden brown but the insides should still be moist.

Grace

Postby Grace » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:34 pm

thanks! I will try the ones and add honey instead of sugar...
My hubs said "why don't you just buy them at the pharmacy? she is the only one who likes coconut around here" :D
But I already bought the coconut. I need to at least try...

Maryanne W

Postby Maryanne W » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:01 pm

Hi Grace - My daughter Joan Marie has been SCD for a year and LOD for a few months - so I have been using a cookie recipe that I saw on the LOD yahoo site - but to me - it tastes just like macaroons (and I love them - so that's a rave - but Joan would climb over you to get them) -

1 Egg
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Pumpkin Seed Flour (I grind the seeds in the food processor)
1 1/2 Cups Dried Shredded Coconut (I chop this up smaller too)
Then I just add some cinnamon and vanila extract (not in the original recipe - but I like it) -

The concoction goes in the fridge for about an hour and then I roll it into little balls - it comes out really good (Many thanks to the LOD yahoo site)

Good luck, Maryanne
Maryanne W

Grace

Postby Grace » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:04 pm

thank you MaryAnne, I wonder if I can substitute the pumpkin seed flour...I want to mix up a batch tonight...and don't have it...hmmm...

Return to “Recipes”