What Are Your Top Six Interventions - Biomed or Otherwise

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

dabaxter

Re: Re:

Postby dabaxter » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:50 pm

dabaxter wrote:
dabaxter wrote:Top gainers in order:
1. GF/CF/EF diet.
2. Carnosine-GABA combo. (Biggest Wow)
3. ABA
4. Genetic testing/switching from Methyl-B12 shots to Hydroxyl B-12 shots. (Noticeable change in direction for the better)
5. Diflucan back to back to back.
6. CLO and grapeseed extract/pycnogenol combo.

We've done a lot of the other common DAN treatements as well, such as CaEDTA chelation and HBOT.

We've added oral LDN since and it has been a "wow" for us. It would have to be number 3 or tied with number 2 on our list. Everyone should try it, IMO.

An updated list of our top biomed interventions...
1. LDN (big impact on language)
2. Flagyl/Diflucan (Multiple rounds per the McCandless Protocol. Tried it with Vancomycin too.) (big improvement on language, cognition, stims and some OCD's)
3. AC Chelation (Only 30 rounds with DMSA/ALA so far, 47 total. Saw immediate language/cognition improvement with DMSA only.)
4. GAPS Intro version of SCD - Specific Carbohydrate Diet ...Also taking a break from all supplements. (Saw improved social/cognition and lasting benefits from Flagyl/Diflucan.)
5. Carnosine (big impact on language)
6. Removal of food allergens GF/CF/Egg Free (big impact on eye contact)
7. Vinpocetine (Immediate impact on attention/cognition!)
8. ABA (not really biomed)
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

chazallen

Re: What Are Your Top Six Interventions - Biomed or Otherwise

Postby chazallen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:57 pm

1. AC chelation
2. Classical Homeopathy
3. Diet (GF, Goats yogurt, Organic, Juicing according to Gerson therapy)
4. Probiotics (culturelle, Klaire detox)
5. Enzymes (Houston Tri-Enza)
6. liver support (PC and milk thistle)

mellowjello

Postby mellowjello » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:12 pm

1. God
1. Homeopathy (Tinus Smits CEASE therapy)
2. Correcting vitamin and mineral deficiencies
3. Parasite treatment
3.5??? Keeping her at home
4. GAPS diet (the complete program as per the book)
5. Adrenal, Kidney and Liver Support
6. Craniosacral therapy

1 and 2 are both at the same level because I don't think they work without each other. For us, the parasite issue was also at the top level with 1 and 2 because it interferred with the homeopathic remedies. If I had done this 6 months ago, I would have said GAPS was at the top. It has been a necessary but not sufficient part of my daughter's healing. Adrenal, kidney and liver support have each on different occasions had big wows for us. If the organs had not been so stressed if they had recieved ongoing support, we might not have seen a wow from the support (I think this just shows how essential ongoing support is). Craniosacral was a huge wow at the point in time that we did it, but decreasing gains with it and in and of itself no way it could completely heal IMO but it got her to be able to SLEEP which was HUGE for her and for us.

Keeping her at home has been huge. I don't know how to rate this. It really reduces stress for her and allows me to micromanage her treatments so I can keep her in her operating paramenters, which is super important for her. But it's also isolating, so we get out and meet up with people whenever she's up to it and when she's doing well enough she goes to a small in home daycare a few days a week and thrives on that. We're just so blessed to be able to do this. And I have to put God at the top because He has been giving me all the information about how to treat Laine. I pray for signs every night.
Learning to jiggle when shaken.

AlmostThere

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:31 pm

1. China Infantile Autism (南昌东方医院) We treated there for 34 days and got huge jump, we even stop all the other supplements now
2. P-5-P
3. HBOT
4. GFCF
5. Organic Food
6. Probiotics

bookwurm

Postby bookwurm » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:15 pm

1. Lots of love and attention
2. L-Carnosine
3. Fish Oil
4. Curcumin (Superbiocurcumin, then Longvida)
5. Phosphatydlserine Complex.
6. ABA
7. Exposure to NT children/mainstreaming

OneRockAtATime

Postby OneRockAtATime » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 am

AlmostThere could you tell me what
. China Infantile Autism (南昌东方医院) We treated there for 34 days and got huge jump, we even stop all the other supplements now
is?
I have never heard of that. Not sure how to look it up on the internet.

annethomas

Postby annethomas » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:42 pm

1. Homeschooling
2. aba
3. b6
4. dmg
5. my version of son rise program
6. floortime
Anne

OneRockAtATime

Postby OneRockAtATime » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm

This is my original post and then updated a year ago amazing that I still feel very much the same. Though some has changed.

1. LiverLife LiverLife LiverLife this helped my son in so many ways. Stopped a lot of sensory issues and made his and my life so much easier.
2. CytoFlora I love this stuff brought on speech. Not a ton but any was better then none.
3. <Name removed by demand of the manufacturer to prevent potentially false product claims> helped with teeth grinding as did a few other things but this is one of the few good tasting suppliments.
4. Being in class with NT peers has been wonderful for my son.
5. Melatonin did not work for my child with Autism but it has been a real winner for my ADHD son who takes stimulants. My son has gotten so much healthier and now we are using Melatonin for sleep yeahhh!
6. THIS GROUP HAS PROBABLY BEEN THE MOST HELPFUL THING I COULD HAVE EVER COME ACROSS. I CAN'T THANK ALL OF YOU ENOUGH FOR ALL THE TIME AND HELP AND ADVICE.

Also wanted to edit to add that an AntiViral Protocal has brought my son's Platelets down by 200,000
Acetyl L-Carnitine helped him greatly in understanding speech.
Zinc is wonderful now that we have the right stuff.
Vit-D has helped with him getting sick all the time.

Melatonin now works for my son with Autism for sleep. We have added in NAC and this has stopped his verbal stimming also. His platelets are now in range as is his liver. He is still totally dependent on LiverLife lowing his dose he begins to have a woody all the time. So LiverLife is still my all time life saver.

3sofar

Postby 3sofar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:28 pm

1. CaseinFree, Organic, Specific Carbohydrate Diet (pecanbread.com)
2. Cod Liver Oil
3. Probiotics
4. Yeast Free Diet
5. "Tomato-Staking" *without any spanking whatsoever* (RaisingGodlyTomatoes.com). This was my own version of ABA. ;)
6. Multivitamins/minerals

Recently just started high-dose probiotics (he was on 10 billion prior), Nystatin, B12 injections, and Zinc (just found a biomedical doctor to help take some of the pressure off having to heal him all by myself - love it). :wink:

Only thing left is MILD articulation issues. If I had him re-evaluated, I am confident he would lose his diagnosis. He started off "mild" on the spectrum with sensory integration disorder. He presently has NO sensory issues. :D

mellowjello

Postby mellowjello » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:47 pm

mellowjello wrote:1. God
1. Homeopathy (Tinus Smits CEASE therapy)
2. Correcting vitamin and mineral deficiencies
3. Parasite treatment
3.5??? Keeping her at home
4. GAPS diet (the complete program as per the book)
5. Adrenal, Kidney and Liver Support
6. Craniosacral therapy

1 and 2 are both at the same level because I don't think they work without each other. For us, the parasite issue was also at the top level with 1 and 2 because it interferred with the homeopathic remedies. If I had done this 6 months ago, I would have said GAPS was at the top. It has been a necessary but not sufficient part of my daughter's healing. Adrenal, kidney and liver support have each on different occasions had big wows for us. If the organs had not been so stressed if they had recieved ongoing support, we might not have seen a wow from the support (I think this just shows how essential ongoing support is). Craniosacral was a huge wow at the point in time that we did it, but decreasing gains with it and in and of itself no way it could completely heal IMO but it got her to be able to SLEEP which was HUGE for her and for us.

Keeping her at home has been huge. I don't know how to rate this. It really reduces stress for her and allows me to micromanage her treatments so I can keep her in her operating paramenters, which is super important for her. But it's also isolating, so we get out and meet up with people whenever she's up to it and when she's doing well enough she goes to a small in home daycare a few days a week and thrives on that. We're just so blessed to be able to do this. And I have to put God at the top because He has been giving me all the information about how to treat Laine. I pray for signs every night.

Just updating this to say we are doing homeopathy now with The Valley Clinic in Phoenix AZ and my daughter is making great progress. They do complex prescribing with isopathic and constitutional remedies, plus any needed supplements, and recommend a diet. I no longer have to constantly tweak/micromanage supplements to keep her level! They decide what she needs based on testing, I don't have to decide! YAAAAHOOOOOOO!!!!! I am not sure if my daughter would be making such quick progress were it not for having been on GAPS so long. ??? I guess I would say our top intervention is doing all these things at the same time: pray, homeopathy, correct all deficiencies/other needed biomed, GAPS, and reduce stress/try to experience and enjoy life.

And not to shortchange craniosacral, at the time we did it it was a life-saver and I think would help any child with a restricted cerebral membrane like my daughter had (can occur with experiencing stress in utero).
Learning to jiggle when shaken.

michelle

Postby michelle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:12 pm

I have to say that none of these interventions have any power without GOD working through them first and foremost.

1. Homeopathy has by far been the best intervention without a doubt. It has brought on consistent HUGE gains in speech, imitation and overall cognition.

2. Craniosacral Therapy. We just recently started this a month ago. Since that time NO sensory issues.

3. Cod Liver Oil ( Very early on my son had a eye stim and this completely took that away)

4. Speech Therapy

5. Occupational Therapy

6. Play Therapy (We just started this but my son has already jumped in feet first and I am getting great feed back on behavior compliance so far)

This one should actually be farther up. Digestive enzymes have been HUGE for us as well. They help greatly with food allergies while we heal with homeopathy and just overall digestion.

joy

Re: What Are Your Top Six Interventions - Biomed or Otherwis

Postby joy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:03 pm

x
Last edited by joy on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Joy~

Matthews Puzzle

Postby Matthews Puzzle » Wed May 11, 2011 10:54 am

Diet - GFCF has been the biggest help. I say it was like finding an old piano that the diet cleaned up and made usable. It wasn't perfect, but it was a piano again and could play music.
Probiotic and yeast killers such as therbiotic complete, oil of oregano, caprylic acid, etc. He stopped biting and being aggressive.
Zinc - this one was huge for cognitive gains.
MB12 - recovered good sleep

We do a bunch of other stuff, but they are more fine tuning, so we don't see huge results any more. They are more subtle.

isabelmum

Postby isabelmum » Tue May 17, 2011 9:26 am

My child is not recovered, not even close. But at least much better than a year ago. Here is our top six:
1. Ac chelation dmsa. Only a few rounds now but improved her memory and speech.
2. mb12 shots. Improve speech, matching and fine motor.
3. Valtrex, diflucan and antibiotic at the same time. No stimming at all! But liver enzymes got elevated ao we stopped.
4. Acceptance. Accept that she is asd and we need help. Letting go aba therapy, and really just teach her at slower pace and more structured teaching. Realizing that we are in this for longer term, which might be much longer than we expect because asd is a complex health issue and we cannot detox too fast. Preserving fund and energy for longer term and prioritizing treatments, tests, therapies. Still learning on this last item. Actually this should be pur first point.
5. Enzymes, probiotic, coconut kefir and gfcf diet.
6. Make sure she poo, pee, sweat everyday. Toxin has to go out when we detox.

Dani

Re: What Are Your Top Six Interventions - Biomed or Otherwis

Postby Dani » Wed May 18, 2011 12:46 am

Updated as of May 15, 2011
Our top interventions so far in no particular order...

Therapies: Verbal Behavior ABA therapy (huge improvements in functional speech, asking questions, responding to questions, etc.) plus inclusion classroom at school with supports in place and special ed pullout time; Floortime therapy; private speech therapy 1xweek, sensory activities for sensory regulation (daily)

Biomed:
-modified gluten-free diet that's very low in sugar and made up of mostly whole foods with very little processed foods
-Dr. Amy Yasko genetic test of mutations in the detoxification pathway and supplementation according to genetic issues
-Chelation with DMSA and later with Ca-EDTA and later with Penicillamine
-Digestive Enzymes with meals (this was a HUGE intervention for us)
-Antifungal/yeast treatments like Flucanazole, Ketocanozole, Uva Ursi, Nystatin to manage yeast overgrowth. Not all given at the same time!
-natural and prescription antibacterials for pathogenic bacteria
-BH4 (tetrahydrobiopterin)..this was a huge for her.
-DHA/EPA, essential fatty acids/Omega-3s from Nordic Naturals
-Methyl B12 shots (big help for speech and later fine motor skills)
-Vitamin D3 drops (reduced the number of colds in a year by nearly half)
Last edited by Dani on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

Fernanda

Re:

Postby Fernanda » Mon May 30, 2011 3:35 pm

[quote="tmargetis"]For us, this is our top 6.

1. B12 nasal spray
2. Oxytocin nasal spray
3. Gastrochrom
4. DIET. Rotation of SCD, Body Ecology, GF/CF. No dyes, food colorings
5. Artemesin for the gut
6. Anti fungals, especially Vancomycin

I have realized that my son is one of those 100% gut kids.

Hi,
Could you please say a few words as to what oxytocin did for your child?
Our DAN recommended that we start our son on it..

Thanks! :)
Mom to Lucas, 3.5 y. From severe to moderate in one year!

AC rd 7 DMSA/ALA

Dani

Postby Dani » Mon May 30, 2011 3:54 pm

Fernanda - I don't knonw if that member is a regular poster anymore. You might want to open a new topic on this forum because another parent might have answers for you. Not everyone reads this old, very long thread, but a new topic might get their attention. :wink:
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

Fernanda

Postby Fernanda » Tue May 31, 2011 6:58 am

Dani wrote:Fernanda - I don't knonw if that member is a regular poster anymore. You might want to open a new topic on this forum because another parent might have answers for you. Not everyone reads this old, very long thread, but a new topic might get their attention. :wink:

Thanks! :)
Mom to Lucas, 3.5 y. From severe to moderate in one year!

AC rd 7 DMSA/ALA

DrMom

Postby DrMom » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:59 am

1. Low/frequent dose chelation
2. Armour Thyroid
3. Natural antiviral treatment i.e. Virastop, elderberry, OLE, OoO

We didn't do six treatments.

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:13 am

1. AC chelation
2. Lutimax and other anti-inflammatories and TNF-alpha inhibitors (Enhansa, Boswellia, GLA, Spironolactone)
3. SCD and LOD plus inclusion of fermented raw goat'smilk products
4 Leucovorin Calcium (High Dose Follinic Acid) plus MB12 and Adenosyl B12 shots
5. Mitochondrial support supplements and anti-oxidants
6. Anti-fungals and anti-bacterials
7. Taking my daughter everywhere with me - supermarket, restaurants, playgrounds, relatives' and friend's houses, beach, theatre, weddings and christenings, buses, trains, boats and taxis, the zoo, weekends away etc etc and using each outing as an opportunity to teach gently in her natural environment.
8. Loving my daughter unconditionally and while trying to get her better, trying to always be better myself. so I can be better for her. You know what I mean.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”