Page 1 of 12
What Are Your Top Six Interventions - Biomed or Otherwise
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:12 pm
I'm curious about what has worked for others. It doesn't have to be something that brought a dramatic wow. Something that brought a noticeable improvement would count.
Can you list the top six things, in no particular order, of things that worked well for your child on the spectrum?
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:17 pm
In order from best on down... they were all good:
1. AC chelation
5. High Dose Vitamin A Protocol
6. Omega Fish Oil
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:32 pm
UPDATED LIST as of 01/26/10
1) GI Treatment - prednisolone, entocort, pentasa, elemental diet (no longer on prednisolone or entocort, but remains on latter two) - brought language, seizure reduction, cognitive gains, no longer FTT
2) ABA Therapy - continued improvements across the board
3) IVIG therapy - continued seizure reduction, no longer on continuous antibiotics for infection
4) Bactrim - sounds contradictory, but he takes it the first ten days of the month and it helps address the autoimmune issue in his small bowel
5) removal of casein
6) a really good compounded multi vitamin/mineral/added supplements mix in liquid form
i'm interested to see everyone's answers. we've had some good results, but they often fade. i guess i'll post them anyway:
1) removal of casein
5) prednisone (currently using, so can't say it's faded)
and one more:
7) zinc (stopped teeth grinding)
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:40 pm
not in order:
antibiotics and antifungals
Liverlife showed amazing things when first started
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:26 pm
For us, this is our top 6.
1. B12 nasal spray
2. Oxytocin nasal spray
4. DIET. Rotation of SCD, Body Ecology, GF/CF. No dyes, food colorings
5. Artemesin for the gut
6. Anti fungals, especially Vancomycin
I have realized that my son is one of those 100% gut kids.
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:43 pm
1. Diet - GFCFSFYF
2. Omega 3
4. theraputic listening
5. liver life
6. speech and sensory integration therapy
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:51 pm
Our most important would be
#1 Undenatured protein
followed by ( in no particular order )
#2 Major Minerals - Selenium, Zinc, Magnesium, Calcium
#4 B-group vitamins particularly B-12
#5 Omega 3 & 6 oils
#6 Trace minerals - Chromium, Molybdenum, Vanadium, Boron etc
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:56 pm
I should answer my own question.
Updated as of November 2012
Our top interventions so far in no particular order...
Therapies: Verbal Behavior ABA therapy (huge improvements in functional speech, asking questions, responding to questions, etc.) plus inclusion classroom at school with supports in place and special ed pullout time; Floortime therapy; sensory activities for sensory regulation (daily)
--Dr. Amy Yasko genetic test of mutations in the detoxification pathway and supplementation according to genetic issues
-Digestive Enzymes with meals (this was a HUGE intervention for us)
-Antifungal/yeast treatments like Flucanazole, Ketocanozole, Uva Ursi, Nystatin to manage yeast overgrowth. Not all given at the same time!
-natural and prescription antibacterials for pathogenic bacteria
-BH4 (tetrahydrobiopterin)..this was a huge for her.
-DHA/EPA, essential fatty acids/Omega-3s from Nordic Naturals
-Methyl B12 shots (big help for speech and later fine motor skills)
-Vitamin D3 drops (reduced the number of colds in a year by nearly half)
-Leucovorin, Celebrex and Namenda
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:25 am
We haven't done that many, but here goes:
1) Cod liver oil high in A&D
2) Remove casein briefly, then Petizyde and multi enzyme
4) Speech therapy
5) Enhansed Absorption Curcumin
6) Nasal MB12
Good post for info. Thanks!
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:29 am
For my son...
Evening Primrose Oil
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:58 am
Sorry if I exceed 6....
GC/F diet (we have been able to add back in a small amount of wheat, but dairy is still a no no. I also sometimes give Houstons enzymes for too much wheat.)
chelation- (off and on since '05)NDFs, PCA-Rx, NCD, selenium, TD DMPS, TD DMSA, DMSA suppositories ALA (AC protocol) OSR.
Sign language - SigningTime.com
Heathers Tummy Fiber
ST has helped with tracking real gains....
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:03 am
Hey how did I only list 5???? Hehehe! 6th would have to be all the ABA, not neccessarily coming in 6th place
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:51 am
Removal of casein
Spectrum Awakening Vitamins
Baby Bumblebee Videos
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:02 pm
1. Video modeling DVD's
3. MB12 injections
4. Curamin (enhansed cucurmin)
5. Transfer factor
6. GF/CF low carb diet
(It was a toss up between # 2 and #3, both were big wow's. We just started # 4, but I'm beginning to think that may be bumped up to # 2 as well.)
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:28 pm
Not in any order:
1. MB12 injections
4. Pro EFAs and Pro EPAs
6. Enhansa (before this we did Valtrex for over a year with nice gains)
7. ABA & Theratogs
8. Metadate CD
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:30 pm
cod liver oil
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:30 pm
The six things that are most helpful now
1. Removal of Casien and Gluten
2. Floor time
3. Inclusion and NT peers
4. Medadate CD 10mg and behavior chart
5. Our dogs
6. Ear tubes (no more ear infections)
Things that helped along the way
1. GFCF diet
2. Fish oil
5. Tae kwon Do
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:04 pm
In Order of what had the most effect overall on our kids:
1. Classical Homeopathy
2. Specific Carbohydrate Diet
3. Antiviral protocol (using both Naturals and RX with an enzyme like Virastop)
Everything else was helpful but what actually recovered our kids was the 3 I listed.
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:16 pm
i am sorry i am not answering what the post had asked but, hope its ok to ask questions about it. i wish soon i ll be able to answer this question as of right now we are not there yet.
fuzzy one how is prednisone working out for you guys.
janie , i want to know more about therapuetic listening, how it helped, what was the protocol. thanks so much
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:36 pm
1. GFCF (and corn free, peanut free) diet
2. B12 shots
4. A good combination special ed and inclusion preschool program
5. Managing yeast (diflucan/ketakonazole/probiotics)
6. Tie - Melatonin/treating reflux
Lots of treatments that I still want to try though!!