My son has been on "Feast without Yeast" diet and Nystatin for 2 months now and he is almost free of all autistic symptoms.
Here is a topic from another mom explaining why this diet is BETTER than GFCFSF and SCD diet. Apparently, SCD diet includes foods full of mold and toxins which cause repetitiveness, slow brain function, and promote yeast overgrowth.
Just a quick quote from her post: "My son is, with this diet and Nystatin, finally what I would consider “fixed!” By fixed I mean he is able to sit at a table and attend to four hours of school without tuning out. He can write a full page of cursive without quitting. His gut is fixed. The night sweats are gone—this was a biggie, and our doctor thought it was metals. I now think it was yeast or mold. We are still getting big die-off symptoms, and the “yeast smell” many days, so there’s still lots in there, but each day his behavior is better and better. "viewtopic.php?p=121287
I absolutely agree her post.
From my own experience....
My son was very autistic and had no speech when he was 2 years old. He was extremely repetitive and used to get stuck on doing the same thing over and over.
He got rid of all autistic symptoms and repetitiveness with "Feast without Yeast" diet and Nystatin.
He is now 2 years and 6 months old, and he is almost free of any autistic symptoms. He is saying 4-5 word sentences, his eye contact is excellent. He follows my directions, he is curious about everything. Some days he is a bit repetitive (he is not completely free of yeast yet). But most days he is just fine, he is progressing, learning, and just being a happy boy.
When my son started a GFDFSF diet, he was doing fine. His eye contact got better and he was generally more with us. However, he had some bad days and some good days. Something was setting him off.
We tried multivitamins, probiotics and GFDFSF diet. It helps somehow, but doesn't treat autistic symptoms completely.
With "Feast without Yeast" diet and Nystatin, we had immediate and noticeable results. I believe that with this diet my son will be free of all autistic symptoms within a year or so.
Author of this diet, Dr. Bruce Semon has an autistic son. He treated his son and since then many other kids. He says that his diet and treatment worked for every autistic kid he's ever treated.
My son had an OAT Urine test, Stool test and Hair test for heavy metals from the Great Plains Laboratory.
Urine test showed high levels of waste product of Candida yeast overgrowth.
Stool test didn't show Candida yeast , and in most cases stool test doesn't detect yeast as it doesn't survive in large intestinal.
Hair test for heavy metals didn't show heavy metals.
"Feast without Yeast" diet is not as difficult or strict as SCD diet. However, this is a long-term treatment. Most kids have to stay on this diet for a few years. It works so well for my son and I believe this should help other kids as much as it helped my son.
A few notes on the diet:
1) Diet works only in combination with Nystatin. Diet doesn't work on it's own.
1/3 of success is due to the diet and 2/3 of success is due to Nystatin.
2) All multivitamins and especially vitamin B have to be discontinued. They interract with Nystatin and the medicine doesn't work if vitamins are taken during the treatment. Vitamin B6 and B12 are made from yeast (or made with the help of yeast), so you're pouring gasoline on the fire when you take high-dose Bs (like B6 or B12) orally.
3) You need to read the book "Feast without Yeast" to implement the diet.
A few notes on Nystatin:
1) We got Nystatin prescription from our regular pediatrician. We showed him OAT Urine test results and the book "Feast without Yeast". He gave us the prescription and 3 refills without any problems. We came back for another prescription with my son and showed him the progress my son is making with Nystatin. He was surprised by his progress, and gave us a second prescription with 2 refills.
2) You have to make sure your child gets a full dose of Nystatin every day. The drug tastes very bad. I have to use a syringe to spray this drug to my son's mouth. He doesn't like it, so, I give him stickers every time he takes Nystatin and he forgets about the "aftertaste" right away.
This is the only way to give Nystatin to your child. Giving it with water or with other vitamins won't work. Your child will probably refuse to take it as it's very bitter. But it helps to get rid of all autistic symptoms, so it's worth it.
Here is the website of this doctor:http://nutritioninstitute.com/
This is a short explanation and dosage of Nystatin:http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/bo ... sect2.html
Please don't start any chelation without proper tests. It's dangerous and it doesn't help get rid of autistic symptoms completely. Try to change your child diet according to this article by Dr. Bruce Semon: http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/bo ... sect2.html
If you see positive changes on Stage 4 of "Feast without Yeast" diet, then go ahead and find the way to get prescription for Nystatin.
Before starting any chelation, get your child tested for heavy metals (Hair test for heavy metals). Most likely, your child doesn't have any heavy metals and he just needs a different diet and a proper treatment for yeast and leaky gut.
Let me know if you need any additional info on the diet. I will be happy to help.