Group B Strep and Autism

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

momof6

Re: Group B Strep and Autism

Postby momof6 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:52 pm

My HFA son is a twin (twin is NT), and I had group B strep at the end of the pregnancy. The labor came on quick and hard. By the time I got to the hospital, there was only time for about half of the antibiotics to get in. Baby A came out first (vaginally) and is NT. Conor, my HFA son, came out 15 minutes later. I wasn't a carrier with my subsequent pregnancy. So, I think strep b comes and goes.

borsooq

Postby borsooq » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:29 am

Strep B commonly lives in womens vagina as I am informed.
My wife was a carrier, but cured before Dawid was born. This Strep returns usually in several weeks back again to vagina and lives there.
For 100% my wife was cured before childbirth which was c-section. Analisys for Strep presence was made hours before childbirth.

I do not believe that Strep which lives commonly in womens vagina can cause autism. In Europe ~40% of women has it. We have no 40% of autism or ASD childs here (but we're progressing :(). Obviouls it can be one of factors, but not only one.

I think that main causes are:
- strange infections with unknown ethiology, usually guts infections
- vaccinations, of course - MAINLY, because vaccinations make immune system defective
- antibiotic treatments
- heavy metals tocications
- parasites
- fungals
- bacteria
- viruses (Stan Kurtz - I love this guy)

so, nothing new.

I think so, because my son was developing perfectly until his 18 month of life. It would be perfectly strange that Strep would attack his brain after 18 months of normal life. At least this point of view is applicabel to regressive ASD.

BTW. Are there any reliable tests to check this infection with Strep B?

borsooq

Postby borsooq » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:55 am

Sorry for post after my own, but I would like to raise this thread to be more visible.

O was just looking into one of Polish boards and... there was at least one event, where Strep was cause of 'autism', which in fact was P.A.N.D.A.S.
Anibiotics helped!

So my apologize for ingorance in this area.

Brookeluvsofia

Postby Brookeluvsofia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:09 pm

I was a group b strep carrier also and given antibiotics before labor. I see a trend here.

tiggermac79

Postby tiggermac79 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi i have a boy of 5yrs old im trying to get tested for asd . I also had strep b in my pregnancy with him but not with my 2 older children and neither of them have have asd.my youngest was taken to the resusiter when born because of how fast he was born. I was given antibiotics in a drip while in labour. I now wonder if there is a connection would appreciatte any info and replies to my comment

Stacee

Postby Stacee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:53 am

Wow it is something to see everyone here saying they were GBS + and have an autistic child. Add me to the list, I was GBS + & received ATBs while in labor but I had my son so fast that they didn't help, he had an infection and was hospitalized for a week after birth. He was diagnosed with PDD at 3.

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:46 am

I wonder if it's more about getting antibiotics while in the hospital, making one more prone to clostridia instead? Just a thought. I think strep is a co-infection going on with other stuff. The antibiotics stripping the mother of good bacteria while nursing and in the hospital around all kinds of other bad bugs might be more the issue than strep by itself causing it. I also think the hospital drip for any extended labor or emergency labor, can contribute to an acidic condition of unbalanced electrolytes and this severely lowers thiamine and I saw this happen when my son was in for appendicitis as well, he tanked after the IV drip, became confused all sorts of regression happened again, until I gave him loads of bicarbonate and thiamine (this is when I saw a connection to the actual protocols in the hospital as maybe a risk factor). I think the mandatory IV drips that aren't electrolyte balanced and with glucose especially cause major issues with infection of anyone under their care, especially babies being born and old people. My son also had to go to the incubator for resuscitation. We had a very long labor with him. But no group B strep. We did have an outbreak at our house when he was a baby, my oldest had strep 4 times in a row and my middle girl developed a tiny bit of OCD at the time, but no strep and it went away in a few weeks.
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

terrieuk

Postby terrieuk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:37 am

Hi there
I have an autistic daughter now 30 years old she is profoundly disabled . I had an untreated strep B infection in pregnancy my doctor failed to follow up with me after a positive screen when I was 3 months pregnant. When I got to the hospital the error was picked up and immediately put me on a drip, however my membranes had ruptured prior to getting to the hospital. I have always thought there maybe a link between the infection and my daughter's disability however have not found any evidence to support my fears. Please me to the list.

cbudde

Postby cbudde » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Yep, I too was a carrier and had the antibiotic in my i.v. prior to delivery.
My son also had a fever at 7 weeks and was hospitalized with i.v. antibiotics. Hmmmm.

CdB

Postby CdB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:53 am

Around 9;20 mark he's talking about how damaging antibiotic treatment for strep b during birth is for babies immune system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXRkYg7fVoQ

ar11

Postby ar11 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:21 pm

I wanted to add myself to the list here that I also was treated with antibiotics right before pregnancy and during labor.

My son exhibits central processing issues, ocd with fans and a/c's, problems with quality of communication. I don't know if strep is what caused it, rather what good bacteria were killed during that time which he did not pick up from me? Would he have been better of without the antibiotics at birth is my question. He shows NO growth of Lactobacillus, very small quantities of Bifidobacterius, and has gamma and alpha heamolytic strep, both of the latter I question if they are the culprits to his issues along with the missing Lactobacillus. 3.5 years old now.

Could others please also chime in regarding this subject?

How many children affected here were subject to having their mother treated with antibiotics during labor or right before?

makingitpossible

Postby makingitpossible » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:57 pm

I had C-section so the same concept. But I was IV treated with antibiotics so it went through the breastmilk. So my daughter had zero good stuff going in, antibiotics through breastmilk, Hep B vaccine, vitamin K shot, and they formula fed her first (they had to put me to sleep during C-section). She was a colicy mess for 3 months. The stool test she had done showed her bacteria levels were consistent with what is normal in kiddos with autism.
There is a protocol to get rid of strep that doesn't involve antibiotics before you test. Even if I tested positive I would NEVER allow IV antibiotics on me again or have C-section if I could help it.

ar11

Postby ar11 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:14 pm

MakingItPossible, Could you explain more on the protocol for getting rid of strep without antibiotics?

na7222002

Postby na7222002 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:55 pm

With my pregnancy with ODS (NT), I didn't have GBS. With my pregnancy with YDS (ASD), I had GBS. He was a winter baby and I got flu shots during pregnancy as recommended by doctor. I think that may have been the trigger. I just did what the doctor has recommended and didn't know any better :( If I knew what I know now .... it makes me so sad.

ajo1700

Postby ajo1700 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:10 pm

I just stumbled across this board while doing more research on why my son with Aspergers/ADHD/Sensory issues is sick yet again for the second time in three weeks. He is constantly ill despite my best efforts with nutrition and supplementation. I was shocked to see so many comments online about the possible correlation of ASD and group b strep. My son just turned 9, but as soon as I brought him home from the hospital I knew there was something off with him, but could never put my finger on it. I tested positive for group b strep and had an IV drip of penicillin while in labor and I was induced with pitocin because my water had ruptured more than 24 hours before. I could go on for days about all of this! Anyway, I hope that more testing is done to deduce whether there is any real correlation here.

TasmansMum

Postby TasmansMum » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:01 am

Really interesting to read these comments. I have a 9 year old son who is autistic. Never imagined something could be so hard...anyway, he had 6 (!) Doses of antibiotics in his first year of life for ear infections. At 12 months he stopped babbling and started with highly anxious behavior and the journey began. We now really think it was these anti biotics that did it. I'm one week away from having our second son and tested positive to strep b. After reading these posts I'm going to decline anti biotics during labour. Scared to go against the recommendations of my midwife but don't know how I'd survive if I had two autistic children. More study into anti biotics and autism is needed!!

ajo1700

Postby ajo1700 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 am

Update from my 2/11/17 post about my son constantly being ill who has Aspergers, ADHD, sensory issues. We had all sorts of testing done at the ENT and allergist. Low and behold he is severely allergic to two different types of dust mites, that's it out of everything. I had to remove all stuffed animals & throw rugs from his room and encase his mattress & pillows with approved stuff. He takes a generic form of Zyrtec almost daily and he has improved dramatically. Now if he catches a cold it's gone within days instead of lingering for weeks and turning into something worse. The dreaded incessant hacking is gone finally. I hope this helps other parents with ASD children struggling with mystery illnesses.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”