Group B Strep and Autism

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Mom2Ryan

Group B Strep and Autism

Postby Mom2Ryan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Does anyone know if there is any link between group B strep and Autism?
I was a carrier when I was pregnany with my son and was given a shot before c-section. I have always thought about this and if maybe there is some link there? With my other children before my son I was never a carrier and they do not have autism. :?

slesage

Postby slesage » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi,

I am also a Group B strep carrier and recieved a shot before my c-section. I was just thinking about this the other day. My first son almost died from Group B strep so I thought the shot was a blessing. Now I wonder if it started this all???
Take Care,
Stacy

jadensmom

Postby jadensmom » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:40 pm

I am also a group b strep carrier but wasn't given a shot, I was given something in my I.V. probably the same as the shot.

jadensmom

Postby jadensmom » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:41 pm

maybe you should start a poll on this

believeinmiker

Postby believeinmiker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:03 pm

what is group B strep ~ my son has a high aso count in his blood ~ is that the same?
May ALL Your Tears Come from LAUGHTER!!!

Janie

Postby Janie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:56 pm

believeinmiker wrote:what is group B strep ~ my son has a high aso count in his blood ~ is that the same?

You'd have been tested for it while pregnant and, if you carry it, you'd have had antibiotics while in labor.
Mom to one 6 yr old - HFA

believeinmiker

Postby believeinmiker » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:44 pm

thanks Janie! 8)
May ALL Your Tears Come from LAUGHTER!!!

becca

Postby becca » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:33 pm

I too got the IV drip while in labor. For the first 5 newborn weeks my daughter and I both fought thrush/yeast problems. I still think this is where all the yeast/gut issues started and we never actually kicked it for her. :x

zacksmommy72

Re: Group B Strep and Autism

Postby zacksmommy72 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:13 pm

I'm glad someone posted this because I've often wondered the same thing, if there is a link between group b strep and autism/MR. I did not educate myself ahead of time about GBS, knew very little about it, and incorrectly assumed we were both "cured" at the hospital after receiving the antibiotics. 24 hours later I checked us out and went home, despite advice from the hospital staff that Zack remain for observation. Zack never developed any life-threatening symptoms, but developmental disabilities is listed as one of the virus' possible results, so it is possible that if he contracted GBS during birth it went undetected and untreated. Zack is now 10 and mentally functions at about a 2-3 year old level, with an IQ of about 40. He was diagnosed with classic nonverbal autism and MR at age 2. Thankfully Zack is a lovable child with a lot of spirit and always a twinkle in his eye. Now I am pregnant with my second child and have the same worries for this one. This child is with my second husband, so it'll be interesting to see if this child also develops autism and/or MR. From what I understand about the virus, once a woman has GBS she will always have it as there is no cure, only treatment. So any subsequent children are at risk for contracting the virus. One thing I won't do this time is check myself out of the hospital prematurely. Perhaps if I had stayed the extra 48 hours like I was advised to do, the hospital doctors would have detected GBS in my son and could have done something then, if he did indeed contract it. I also won't refuse the PKU shot. In fact, I refused every invasive procedure in the name of "protecting" my son, and now can't help feel I may be responsible for my son's condition.

jennylynne

Postby jennylynne » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:43 pm

nope not here. My daughter never even had ABX other than that in poultry and crappy beef/pork etc until she was DX and in biomed( for a nasty kklebsiella overgrowth that wouldn't calm down on naturals). We don't do ABX for ear infections if caught early, or UTIs if caught early... only for when they go untreated and are raging....

I used to have strep ( reg throat) all my childhood. We did the whole PANDAS workup on her and she has no titers to any kind of strep...nada.

jalberts

Postby jalberts » Tue May 15, 2012 12:23 pm

I, too, had Group Strep B (GSB) when I was pregnant with my son, who was diagnosed with ASD when he was 3. It never occurred to me that the two could be related, but I recently read a scientific article suggesting that ultrasounds during pregnancy can act as an environmental trigger for autism, and a co-trigger could be maternal infection (although the article did not specify anything about type of infection). My husband and I chose (like many parents these days) to have a 3D/4D sonogram at 7 months gestation with our son so that we could have videos and photos of him in utero, and now I'm wondering if the combination of ultrasound + GSB could have triggered my son's autism. I'm beginning talks with some researchers I know (including the doctor who diagnosed my son) to see whether they may consider investigating the possibility that GSB + ultrasound may be triggers for autism.

buckeye74

Postby buckeye74 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:17 am

I was a group B strep carrier as well. Hmmm.
Mom to 2 ASD Kids
ds 4.0 years old
dd 2.3 years old

Kari

Postby Kari » Thu May 17, 2012 8:57 am

I was a carrier and got IV antibiotics during labor with my son. Maybe it's just a sign of poor gut flora, or maybe the abx were a problem. For my second child, there wasn't enough time to get all the abx in. She was speech delayed with some signs of PDD, but is fine now (at age 8). She also wasn't vaccinated and my son was. I don't know, there are too many suspects and no answers. I just googled the carrier rate for Group B strep and it's about 13.9%

HoldingOn2Hope

Postby HoldingOn2Hope » Tue May 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Healing the New Childhood Epidemics (the book) does list the GBS+ as a commonality for Autism. So the link has been made.

When I was checked with my first pregnancy (NT DD), the OB said I am strongly contaminated with the GBS+ (ie: they do a preliminary test with urine toward the beginning/middle of the pregnancy, and mine showed up so strongly on that that they didn't need to do the typical swab at the end of the pregnancy). I had ABX via IV with DD, who is NT.

DS came out so fast, I didn't have time to get any ABX. But "they" say that if they pass through the birth canal quickly, then they're far less likely to catch the bugs of GBS+. Anyways, they took a blood sample from him after he was born, and monitored that for 48 hours and said he was fine.

P.S. ZacksMommy, don't feel bad - they don't monitor the actual baby during that 48 hours, they only monitor the baby's blood which they keep in the lab and just watch over that 48 hours. The hospital told me that, and that they only keep the baby there for the 48 hours in case something happens with the blood that's sitting in the lab. So you checking out early actually doesn't affect anything - they still watch the blood at the lab during the 48 hours. At least, that's what I was told.

JoanneP

Postby JoanneP » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 pm

My son was born in 2000... everything was normal until the day I got induced for a normal birth they told me the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and they had to do an emergency c-section.... everything went well... after the operation I had a fever and was put on anitibiotics... I thought I wasnt suppose to breast feed, (Im Mexican-American and we believe that when a mother breast feeds having a fever its very dangerous to breast feed, the doctors didnt think so, so I went ahead and breast fed ...)so the next day early in the morning I noticed my son had a fever and looked different..... I immediately called the nurse and my baby was taken to the NICU because he had seizures and Group B Strep Meningitis..... 3 weeks in NICU and more than 2 blood transfusions .... spinal injections and lord knows what more.... I got to take my baby home .... he was on meds. and after 1 yr the seizures stopped.... he was delayed in fine and motor skills.... when he was 2 he was in all kinds of therapy...due to low muscle tone on his whole left side... He was in Special Ed from age 3 till now... hes in 7th grade and up until last year he was labeled with Autism because of his lack to socialize.... he has been doing better and the label of Autism at school was removed and now receives SpEd because of Learing Disability..... I'm currently looking to take him to a Neurologist to evaluate him for Autism..... Hes different than other teenagers... he needs a hall pass to excuse him from being late to classes because he gets lost in the hallways... He has short term memory only... can read at his level or above but cannot comprehend... hes a genious with electronics and manages to use them on his own and without anyone giving him instruction.. . and I know he has Aspergers Syndrome.... he is the sweetest boy a mother can ask for .... no behavioral issues at all..... hes a sweet sweet boy.... I was never tested for Meningitis when I was pregnant.... I had 2 other boys and they are 3 yrs apart and they are perfectly healthy..... :P

mom_of_two_kids

Postby mom_of_two_kids » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:07 am

I was NOT a carrier when I had my ASD child, and I was a MAJOR carrier (including a recurrent group B strep UTI) with my NT child, FWIW

sweetTEA

Postby sweetTEA » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:23 am

I assume the shot was antibiotics? I was not a Group B Strep carrier BUT days after delivery, I got a kidney infection that wouldn't go away and I was on all sorts of antibiotics for a couple months to try and get rid of it. I was told that they were all safe while breastfeeding. Those are the only antibiotics my son ever had was through my breastmilk those first couple months. I wonder if it would have been better just to give him formula.

I think I was on antibiotics while pregnant with my second son who does not have ASD but has a lot of similar issues and traits.

LittleBirdsLoved

Postby LittleBirdsLoved » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Unfortunately, GBS can come and go from the body so quickly that the results can vary from test to test within pregnancy, so I think this is a hard marker in some ways. Is the more agressive treatment of GBS actually beneficial or are is the widespread use of antibiotics causing more harm? The data is mixed on this and more and more reputable doctors are returning to a risked based model of treatment (length of ROM, temperature, etc.) and wondering how many mothers are receiving a false positive or negative.

I think that a lot of the birth interventions are becoming additional triggers for the many health crisis (beyond ASD) we're now facing as a society (in North America, at least), so its highly likely that the c-sections noted in this thread may have played a role in the onset of ASD symptoms and issues with gut flora. FWIW, I tested negative, but who knows what that really means...

Josie

Postby Josie » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:41 pm

I didn't have antiobiotics but I did have a c-section. Could the baby have picked up an infection during the c-section? or did the baby not receive the good bacteria from a natural birth? I read that the mother passes the good bacteria from herself on to her child at birth as he/she is being born during a natural birth. Also I had a late term ultrasound done to see if it was twins. My 2 girls who are not autistic had natural births.

sweetTEA

Postby sweetTEA » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Out of 4 births, my ASD child had no birth interventions, my other 3 had Pitocin and he did not. He was, however, my fastest and hardest labor. Only 4 hours. No c-section, no antibiotics. I did have an epidural.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”