Who has given up on probiotics?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

jadensmom

Who has given up on probiotics?

Postby jadensmom » Thu May 21, 2009 3:44 pm

It seems like my son can't handle any probiotics. How many of you have given up on them? I have spent so much money just on trying to find the right one I am about to give up on finding any that work.

dnoel72

Postby dnoel72 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:55 pm

what kind of reactions are you seeing?? I know I saw side effects with custom probiotics. My son became very hyperactive and I had to take him off of those. He is currently on Culterelle and pro bio gold. He is doing ok i guess, not side effects noted. I'm not sure if they are doing any good either. KWIM???? Deb

lookingforanswers

Postby lookingforanswers » Thu May 21, 2009 5:00 pm

I've never seen a side effect with probiotics. What are you seeing? Have you tried giving a tiny, tiny amount and building up the dose? Do you get the same reaction with yogurt?

jadensmom

Postby jadensmom » Thu May 21, 2009 6:10 pm

Tried the custom probiotics which caused severe stimming ect. The other probiotics cause gas with pain. Anything with just a little casein causes problems. Custom probiotics was the only one that didn't cause gas but seemed to cause alot of yeast problems.

Dylynn

Postby Dylynn » Thu May 21, 2009 8:55 pm

We haven't been giving them in quite a few months now, Culturelle is the only one that we tried for him with any success and after doing 6 months with 3 a day and his bacteria getting worse instead of better we decided to cut that too and see what happened. Nothing happened.... I would still be interested in trying them again, but we have so many things right now...
Son - Somewhere on the Spectrum

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Fri May 22, 2009 6:19 am

I think some of our kids with such gut inflammation over-react to the probiotics as well. Since I've been using them, bowel movements have been worse than before we started all this. It's certainly not making our situation better but I think it is preventing it from getting worse. When I stop giving culturelle we see the aggressive and sound sensitive behaviors you see from clostridia. But, I think they bother him too, so I take the lesser of the two evils right now. I'm thinking of trying the Primal defense you mentioned. It seems like a Threelac combined with other stuff. My only fear is the stuff that is in all of these that are food for the bacteria. When you already have bad bacteria in control, it just becomes food for them since they are alive and kicking. I seem to have much better luck with Culturelle by filtering out the inulin. And I know it sticks without it because the little bits stick to the side of the dish I give it to him in. It's just the best out there in my opinion. But, I don't think it addresses the large bowel very well. I'm also going to try the L. Reuteri straws again. They have no fillers and I do think they were keeping my son's small intestines in check, which are now not doing too well. You can get your pharmacy to order them and get the next day without paying for shipping. I don't have any good advice. We have big allergy to coconut and so the kefir is out of the question. We have been able to give the juice from Bubbies Saurkraut in his juice. I really think my son needs to drink some steroids for a while to calm it all down. Also, look into L. Casei. This was the strain they used in the article I posted a while back that was D-lactate free. I don't believe those strains in that custom one were D-lactate free for sure, those strains were not mentioned in the articles I read. So, not sure about that one.

Jen

AutismParenting

Re: Who has given up on probiotics?

Postby AutismParenting » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:04 am

There are many studies that shows the connection of Probiotics on the Autism Spectrum.
As many autism experts claim that several types of foods and diets can effectively treat or help children and adults with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
Some autism researchers also believe there is a strong link between the functioning of the brain and the gut.

1. We can't directly say the causes of Autism but there are several studies and researches that can help the people in the spectrum. One good example of a research study is the one
conducted by Dr. Paul Ashwood of the University of California, Davis’ Medical Investigation of Neurodevelopmental Disorders (M.I.N.D.) they identified proofs linking autism with changes in the brain, gastrointestinal (GI) distress, immune dysfunction, and severe repetitive behaviors.

2. According to Dr. Ashwood, they found that children with autism have elevated levels of dendritic cells, which are considered as the ‘generals’ of the immune system. He claimed the dendritic cells serve a key role in the body’s immune response to microorganisms, including the disease-causing germs and normal digestive bacteria.

3. Also, based on various studies, individuals with autism often have abnormal digestive health conditions like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Kids with autism were also found to have an elevated number of the pathogenic bacteria called ‘Clostridia’, as well as the lesser known bacteria called Sutterrella in their guts. Meanwhile, a number of studies showed probiotic microorganisms have positive effects on the digestive health of both adults and children. These healthy microorganisms are contained in the probiotics supplements that can be used to treat ASD, including attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), particularly in children.

4. In their various independent studies, experts have discovered an interconnection among gut health, brain activity, and autism.
A study by researchers at the Arizona State University’s Biodesign Institute showed a link between the chemicals produced by gut bacteria and the behavior of kids with autism.
In their study, the scientists examined the bacterial waste products in the stool samples of the subject children with ASD. They found substantially diverse concentrations of seven of the 50 chemical compounds they identified in the samples. According to study co-author Dae-Wook Kang, majority of gut bacteria are good as they help in food digestion, production of vitamins, and protection against harmful bacteria.
However, if not effectively prevented, the harmful bacteria can release toxic metabolites or disturb a balance in metabolites that can affect the gut and the entire body, including the brain.

For an in-depth discussion and guides regarding Probiotics and Autism, feel free to check out this article: https://www.autismparentingmagazine.com ... nd-autism/

Manuka

Re: Who has given up on probiotics?

Postby Manuka » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:09 pm

I have given up on probiotics many years back...I tried everything under the sun...including custom probiotics., I have even tried goat Kefir two weeks back. Somehow my daughter immediately gets wired and stimmy... while she is a quiet and non stimmy kid.

What helps is coconut water..I try to get the fresh one from Whole Foods. I also give goat milk which she tolerates.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”