L-Carnosine

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

bookwurm

L-Carnosine

Postby bookwurm » Sat May 30, 2009 3:33 pm

We started L-Carnosine about a week ago and have been getting fantastic results. The results were immediate and noticeable within an hour of first starting.

I'm aware that Jon Pangborn believes L-Carnosine to be harmful and have read what he had to say about that--this is why we haven't tried L-Carnosine earlier. But after reading more about Michael Chez's extensive use L-Carnosine we were more comfortable using it. It does appear to make some children more hyperactive, but fortunately we haven't had that problem. The results have been amazing.

We are using about 250 mg per day together with some zinc. If you have been using L-Carnosine I'd be interested in hearing your experience (both positive and negative).

LauraP

Postby LauraP » Sun May 31, 2009 2:50 pm

I tried it for a couple of months with my son. I saw no change (positive or negative), so I discontinued it.
Laura, Ian's mom

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Sun May 31, 2009 2:57 pm

We've had very good luck with it also at the 400mg twice per day, as in the Chez study. We are currently using 500mg, twice per day, from Vitacost.

One thing about Carnosine is that it is inexpensive and you know within a couple of weeks whether it works for you.
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

CheriO

Postby CheriO » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:33 pm

we love L carnosine. It has really helped my son with expressive lang. We use kirkmans pills (200 mg) 4 times a day:)

Dylynn

Postby Dylynn » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Bookwurm - What kind of results have you been seeing? Do you only give it once per day with the zinc?
Son - Somewhere on the Spectrum

tmargetis

Postby tmargetis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:10 pm

Amazing for us too, and in only just 3 days! Socialization was noticable in a mere hours, I swear! My doc said that the Chez study is pretty important. I know he would never have me try anything that could potentially be harmful. This is just another one of those things that either you see it fast, or you just don't. Wouldn't it be nice if everything were this fast and cheap!. I am giving 450 mg a day right now, with a small amount of the zinc and E. He chased a little boy around yesterday on his bike, asking him if he could have a turn, kind of stalking this kid! He has never done anything active like this trying to engage a kid. It was really great to see he has it in him!

Tanya

Janie

Postby Janie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:38 pm

I ordered some from Kirkman's last week, and it's supposed to be here today. I've been so eager to try carnosine that I'm ready to stalk the UPS guy!
Mom to one 6 yr old - HFA

bookwurm

Postby bookwurm » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:01 am

We've been giving 250 mg of L-Carnosine once a day. We have the NSI L-Carnosine 500 mg capsules. I open them up and dump out about half each day.

We give the zinc at the same time. We have the Twinlab Zinc Caps from vitacost with 50 mg capsules and give about half of a capsule each day.

This is for a 3 year old, so keep that in mind.

I'm not sure if this is a good dose--I'm just describing what we're currently doing. It's possible that a higher dose of L-Carnosine would provide better results, but we wanted to start slow.

Chez also used Vitamin E. We haven't added that yet but plan to in the future.

Our daughter has been much better behaved since we started. The change was apparent the same day. She is using better language. She is better able to regulate her behavior (calms down quicker after getting upset). Her reports from school reflect what we see at home.

After reading Pangborn's note on L-Carnosine, we were reluctant to try it, but now we really wish we'd tried it earlier.

It's good to hear that other parents are also using it and seeing results!

kskids

Postby kskids » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:11 am

My daughter has been on 200 mg twice a day for over 9 months now of L-Carnosine, with wonderful results. We are currently going up to the recommended 400 mg twice daily (as per Dr. Chez study) to see if if we get any added benefits.

This supplement has been a God send. I also was leary of having problems with hyperactivity. But, we haven't seen any of that, it was definitely worth trying. :D

I'm just wondering if this supplement ever stops working?? I'm hoping as long as I give it to her it will continue to benefit her!! Has anyone heard about the longevity of this supplement with chronic use??

dnoel72

Postby dnoel72 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:10 pm

I love this Carnosine. I see a little hyperactivity that I hope will go away with time or I may decrease the dose, but I love the language. My son is talking up a storm. Is this stuff for real?? I wonder why I haven't done it before. I am thrilled...I just hope it stays this way. I am nervous all of this will go away. I reccommend trying this supplement. The results come very fast....Good Luck...Deb N

Ian's mom

Postby Ian's mom » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:22 pm

From what I read in Dr. Bock's book, he says that L-carnosine is mostly recommended for kids with seizure problems. I am very interested in this supp, but Ian does not have seizures. I am wondering-those of you that have had great results--do your kids have seizure problems?
After the storm comes the rainbow.

kskids

Postby kskids » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:07 pm

My daughter does not have any seizure disorders. And she has been doing great on it for over 9 months now.

dnoel72

Postby dnoel72 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:56 am

I read Dr. Bocks book and saw that about seizures too. My son does not have seizures. I does say to watch the kids very closely for hyperactivity because it can be a sign of too much L carnosine. I am watching carefully. I have to be honest, I was VERY hesitant to use this supplement. I did all of the reading and started and stopped a couple of times because of some reports of copper toxicity. I read this thread and decided to give it a fair shot. I am so happy that I did. I am on just day 3 and it is very fun to see the progress. My son is 6 and has always been verbal but just didn't expand on his sentences or thoughts. The last 2 days have been wonderful. He told me today that he didn't feel like sharing with his two best friends because he had been sharing all day and just wanted his turn. He just has been saying "complete" thoughts instead of broken up speech. Its great...I just hope it continues. I would like to hear if anyone had to stop becuase of adverse effects...TIA..Deb N

Ian's mom

Postby Ian's mom » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:30 am

Thank you all very much! I have purchased some and will start Ian on some Friday morning.
After the storm comes the rainbow.

kskids

Postby kskids » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:49 pm

Let us know how it goes with the carnosine. I hope it works for your little one too!!!!

slesage

Postby slesage » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:39 pm

We have also seen good results with it. We are using something called Auti-Focus that I got at the HFS. It also has Zinc and Vit. E in it. We have also started LL and I think that has made a great difference with speech...
Take Care,
Stacy

connorsdad

carnosine

Postby connorsdad » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:37 am

i personally asked the question about the safety of carnosine to dr pangborn at he 08 dan conference in cherry hill, because we were giving it for our son and seing good things with socialization and language, but i was hesitant because of dr pangborns article. his response to the safety question was:
"i am a scientist, so i can only comment on that aspect and not the view of a practitioner, but i would say if it is working, go ahead and use it, just make sure to supplement zinc and watch the copper levels"
we still use it off and on, it seems to have good initial effect (about a month)and then levels off after awhile, thats when we will stop and then restart about a month later.
connorsdad- connor 4.5 yr ASD

kskids

Re: carnosine

Postby kskids » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:36 am

connorsdad wrote:i personally asked the question about the safety of carnosine to dr pangborn at he 08 dan conference in cherry hill, because we were giving it for our son and seing good things with socialization and language, but i was hesitant because of dr pangborns article. his response to the safety question was:
"i am a scientist, so i can only comment on that aspect and not the view of a practitioner, but i would say if it is working, go ahead and use it, just make sure to supplement zinc and watch the copper levels"
we still use it off and on, it seems to have good initial effect (about a month)and then levels off after awhile, thats when we will stop and then restart about a month later.

Is there any regression when you take him off it for a month?? My concern has been that in using L-carnosine. What about the longevity of its affectiveness? My daughter's been on 200 mg twice a day for 9 months. I just started increasing it to 400 mg twice a day (as per the Dr. Chez study) to get any added benefits. (BTW, I do give her extra zinc with it.) Most of what I've read suggests there is no regression, but others of course say there is. What is your personal opinion??

dnoel72

Postby dnoel72 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:19 am

Also, how much zinc do you guys give with it?? I have been giving 5 mg twice a day along with 200mg of L carnosine with it....do you think I should bump up that dose?? TIA Deb

kskids

Postby kskids » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:25 am

dnoel72 wrote:Also, how much zinc do you guys give with it?? I have been giving 5 mg twice a day along with 200mg of L carnosine with it....do you think I should bump up that dose?? TIA Deb

I give my daughter 10 mg twice a day of zinc. Anything more than that will make her nauseaous. I looked at the Carnaware website and they have 2.5 mg of zinc per 200 mg dose of carnosine. I give her a little bit more to be on the safe side. :)

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”