Lutimax Luteolin Supplement

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Kastania

Re: Lutimax Luteolin Supplement

Postby Kastania » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:35 am

I find the effect of this supplement is cumulative - the more you use it, the more benefits you see. Yes, we are chelating AC protocol while on it. It does have side effects for us, lots of yeast and it is phenolic. I am going to call the guy who developed it this week - who apparently is willing to talk to parents - about how to control side effects, which not all kids have by the way.

I also read somewhere that Dr Theoharides, who developed Neuroprotek, which also contains Luteolin, Rutin and Quercetin, is going to re-forumalate it, mostly just with Luteolin.

If you order, don't get the lozenges because they have additives, the pediatric powder does not.

sarahsu9

Postby sarahsu9 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:53 am

Kastania wrote:I find the effect of this supplement is cumulative - the more you use it, the more benefits you see. Yes, we are chelating AC protocol while on it. It does have side effects for us, lots of yeast and it is phenolic. I am going to call the guy who developed it this week - who apparently is willing to talk to parents - about how to control side effects, which not all kids have by the way.

I also read somewhere that Dr Theoharides, who developed Neuroprotek, which also contains Luteolin, Rutin and Quercetin, is going to re-forumalate it, mostly just with Luteolin.

If you order, don't get the lozenges because they have additives, the pediatric powder does not.

Thank you for sharing your experience with this product, I have been reading up on it. My dd6 also has issues with phenol, and upon reading up on lutimax, somewhere, I read it is low phenol?
I did start Intestimend about 3 weeks ago- and while it did reduce my dd6's gut inflammation and allowed bowels to pass easily (we fight constipation) it has flaired yeast.
Inflammation is an issue w/pandas kids (which we are) so I think I just might bite the bullet and give this product a try (the pediatric powder) I would probably only give 1x a day, too, since I don't do heavy supps. throughout the day, and can only 'hide' so much- she swallows capsules easily though.
Thanks again.

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:02 am

ok Kastania. I'm finally going to give this a try. I ordered some from Spectrum Supplements because of the free shipping. I ordered the pediatric powder because it gives you 30g instead of the 12g you get with the lozenges for the same price. I'll let you know after we try it.
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:51 am

O.K., just go really slow. Let us know how you go.

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Will do. We've got a Cytoflora trial and a trial of a new homeopathic remedy in front of it, so it may be a few weeks, depending on how those go.

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:08 am

Kastania wrote:I find the effect of this supplement is cumulative - the more you use it, the more benefits you see.

Kastania,
Are the gains still continuing?

sarahsu9

Postby sarahsu9 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:57 am

We started Lutimax, I'll give my experience if you are interested-
for us, it does absolutely reduce inflammation- my dd has gut inflammation, and we deal with constipation- but on Lutimax, she has perfect bowel movements, on her own, regular, no constipation supplements.
However, for us, Lutimax made her hyper- they sell Lutimax w/ l-theanine, and I now see why, in case lutimax makes your kid hyper. My dd6 has never had language issues, but this stuff made her talk NON STOP.
I ended up buying separate l-theanine chewables, which I give with the lutimax, and it does not make her so hyper- seems to calm her down somewhat-
I also figured out I don't need to give her as much of the lutimax as I thought I did- took down the dose a lot, still getting the great anti-inflammatory effects-
but I do need to give it with the l-theanine.
That's just us, like every supplement, our kids will respond differently, but thought I'd share.

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:37 am

sarahsu9 wrote:We started Lutimax, I'll give my experience if you are interested-

Of course, Sarah. It is greatly appreciated, always!!! Thanks!

sarahsu9 wrote: My dd6 has never had language issues, but this stuff made her talk NON STOP.

Is she talking gibberish or verbal stimming? or is she just talking a lot?

Also, what dose amount and interval are you at and how much does your child weigh?

Also, are you chelating while using this?

sarahsu9

Postby sarahsu9 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:55 am

Hi there-
My dd6 has 'normal' language skills- so no gibberish, BUT, when she got hyper on this, she just couldn't stop talking, about anything- same thing happened when I tried sublingual B-12 on her a couple years ago, it's like she is on crack.
But, when she gets hyper like this, she starts to vocal tic, too- we have pandas, so vocal ticcing and some corpolalia (when she name calls, says 'bad' things over and over again without being able to stop) ramped up-
this is NOT good over here.
But, the completely normal bowel movements, and when I say normal, gross sorry, but I mean formation, color, flatter tummy- all the stuff is moving out on her own, in a healthy way I haven't seen before- this benefit is really huge over here-
but the hyper uptick was unbearable.
What to do? I got the l-theanine, because I want to keep lutimax (and paid a lot for it) - the l-theanine was risky for me to try, because neurotransmitter stuff on her always backfires, but this actually seems to work at calming her down.
She weighs 43 pounds- I am now giving lutimax 2x a day, 1 lozenge that is 100 mg, and the powder that is 1/4 teaspoon 150 mg.
Now, to mix it up even further, we have phenol issues. Yes, I give no phenol, her multi has moly in it, and I rub mag. sulfate cream on her.
Lutimax is phenol-y.

I did start chelation last December, but then we got into a very severe pandas episode that we couldn't pull out of- so we have been treating that for the last 6 months aggressively- things are better there, and we are NOW going back to chelation-
just waiting for my order from livingnetwork to arrive.
HTH--
long story short, I am keeping lutimax for the healing/support for her gut, because I feel it is crucial- I have had to dose with Oxy powder for years- no longer have to with lutimax, and the Oxy powder never gave us normal, formed, healthy bowels anyway- just forced it out.

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:58 pm

We are still using Lutimax and seeing gains. It helps my daughter with executive functioning and with language and yes, it does make her a bit hyper but it's manageable. I think one of the ways it boosts language is by increasing dopamine. It is half Luteolin and half Rutin and the Rutin converts to Quercetin in a about five hours (I think this is how long it takes). Quercetin works on the mast cells to reduce histamine.

I spoke to the developer a few days ago - his name is Tom Lahey and he is a vey nice and understanding man and he explained that it is the Rutin that usually causes any side effects. I think this is why they offer a version that is mixed with Theanine which is a tea polyphenol, which is known to inhibit excitotoxicity. He also said that he can supply Luteolin on its own - I hope to try this soon as I would like to see how my daughter does only on the Luteolin. By the way, the Luteolin in Lutimax is from chamomile.

I really like Lutimax as it works on one of the core problems of autism whiich is neuro-inflammation and which we have plenty of. It reduces microglial inflammation and we see a big difference in our daughter when using it.

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:29 pm

Kastania wrote:He also said that he can supply Luteolin on its own - I hope to try this soon as I would like to see how my daughter does only on the Luteolin.

I wonder why he didn't just do this to start with.

sprohaska

Postby sprohaska » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:35 pm

We are using this supplement and like it. We are doing the pediatric powder 3x a day at 1/4 teaspoon. We haven't gotten any hyperactivity, we have been on it about three weeks. We don't seem to be having any phenol issues right now. But we have gotten a big yeast flare within the last week.
Surprisingly this supplement seems to mostly calm my son. I feel like it it increasing his detox in a cyclic manner. He seems to get a bit more energy some days and then the following days he will need extra sleep. So something is happening. Going to continue and see. Overall this is great supplement, tasteless, mixes with anything and seems to be very gentle on the system.

sarahsu9

Postby sarahsu9 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:19 am

Just wanted to update:
I am dropping lutimax. We are seeing an uptick in OCD and vocal tics (pandas) must be the dopamine part- too bad.

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:46 am

ok. We tried the LutiMax poweder at 1/4 tsp 3x/day. We did not see hyperactivity. Instead, what we saw was brain fog, increased weepiness, and my son seemed like he just felt really bad. Also, his small language gains that we say with CytoFlora seemed to evaporate while on LutiMax. We ended up dropping it within a day after his 4th dose. We may try again at some point, but it did not turn out like I expected at first.

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:53 am

Rutin will detox copper. I wonder if this is part of the problem? It's probably sticky and feeding yeast. If bowels are moving really well, it may be a good thing in the end. But it may feed yeast and bacteria because rutin is a lot like apple pectin I think. Asparagus is high in rutin. You need certain enzymes to break down asparagus. hmm.
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:18 pm

dabaxter, I'm sorry this supplement was not a good fit for your son - we are still on it, only a small dose though. I'm pretty sure it increases my daughter's dopamine levels and it also increases excitotoxicity in higher doses, that's why we stay low.

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:36 pm

It just goes to show you that each patient is different. However, I did go ahead and order some plain luteolin powder from the link you posted earlier. I may go back and try it again soon without the Rutin and see what happens.

sprohaska

Postby sprohaska » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Yes, this supplement is sticky!! It sticks to my sink when I rinse out the small mixing bowl I mix it in. You are probably right about the yeast!

We are still using this and like it, it makes my son calm and seems to be detoxing him. He was also rubbing his left eye and rubbing his head on the couch before this supplement. I thought he might have some head pressure or ache from inflammation. He no longer is doing that.

bulldoggie15

Postby bulldoggie15 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:49 pm

sprohaska wrote:Yes, this supplement is sticky!! It sticks to my sink when I rinse out the small mixing bowl I mix it in. You are probably right about the yeast!

We are still using this and like it, it makes my son calm and seems to be detoxing him. He was also rubbing his left eye and rubbing his head on the couch before this supplement. I thought he might have some head pressure or ache from inflammation. He no longer is doing that.

Awesome the supplement is working so well. Just to avoid confusion for other parents/caretakers there is nothing contained is this supplement that would "detox" or chelate the body of heave metals to my knowledge.

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:55 am

The other thing that might be happening with Lutimax, is that Luteolin is a phyto-estrogen and increased estrogen inhibits MAO-A and can cause excitotoxicity.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”