Lutimax Luteolin Supplement

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

dabaxter

Re: Lutimax Luteolin Supplement

Postby dabaxter » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:11 pm

alinakvacheva wrote:may be I just need to get brave and just do adopt “try and see” approach with Rx slowly and carefully, if there is no any other way :D

Yes. You should. Oral LDN at 3mg was beneficial for us. We saw a quick language jump.
No two autism patients are alike. Therefore, the things that work for one patient do not help or even worsen another patient. Trial and error is part of it.
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi Alina

I was very surprised to read that in the U.S. doctors can refuse to treat autistic children. I would have been furious with both the pediatric immunologist and the pediatrician who refused to see your son and kept you waiting. Whatever happened to the Hippocratic Oath? Fortunately, this hasn't happened to us yet and I don't how I woudl handle it to be honest, but I can understand how awful it must have been for you.

I think you are right to be very careful with how you intend to treat your son's immune system. If his system is hyper-vigilant, you need to 'cool' it down. Have you taken out all reactive foods? Do you do the Alletess food panel every year to see if something new is causing problems?

I know Dr Marvin Boris in New York is a DAN doctor who is also an immunologist. He treats the son of a friend and is supposed to be good. Alina, what I would do is contact other parents whose kids have similar immune problems to your child's and see how they treated and what results they got. You will get a feel for what is working and how you son might react to these treatments. There are other boards where parents discuss immune treatments and I would start by joining those.

Good luck and let us know how it went with Dr El-Dahr, I will be interested to know what she recommends.

alinakvacheva

Postby alinakvacheva » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:24 am

Dear Kastania and All!
Just wanted to update you on our experience with LutiMax. We are doing great! I was a bit apprehensive to come to conclusions too soon, but it has been over 3 weeks we have been on it and my son is doing steady progress! I am so happy – my dreams are coming true Luteolin has a unique properties of suppressing chronic microglial activation, so I started looking for other things that have similar properties. But all I could found was that certain flavonoids have such properties. The only other product is produced by NeuroProtec, and it has other components that have similar effect. I looked at this product earlier, but was spooked by the reports about quercetin inducing seizures. But now that I did more research on it, NeuroProtec might have even broader spectrum comparatively to Lutimax. I wonder what are your thoughts on that? I would like to push our success with Lutimax a bit further, and may be add ingredient with similar properties, or may be increase LutiMax dosage. My son is 48 lb and I give him LutiMax twice per day at ¼ tsp. The thing with flavonoids is that they are not easily delivered to the system, and increase of dosage not necessary means increase in effectiveness. Broaden the spectrum with similar action would seem to me a more desirable direction. The question is should I add NeuroProtec, should I stick with just LutiMax, and just increase the dosage? The hiccup is that I will have to ask school to give him the second dosage, and they only can do it at lunch time with food. What do you all think? I appreciate this forum and all of you, and that I can actually talk things through with you. :P

SleepingUnderStars

Postby SleepingUnderStars » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:56 pm

We are using both Neuroprotek and Lutimax, each given twice a day at different times. So it is spread out throughout the day in his system.

It has been well tolerated and he has been calmed down from the addition of Neuroprotek. Personally, we feel Neuroprotek is stronger and more effective for our son.

susiejay

Postby susiejay » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:41 pm

SleepingUnderStars wrote:We are using both Neuroprotek and Lutimax, each given twice a day at different times. So it is spread out throughout the day in his system.

It has been well tolerated and he has been calmed down from the addition of Neuroprotek. Personally, we feel Neuroprotek is stronger and more effective for our son.

So you see an added benefit by doing both? I've got my son on 1/4 tsp twice a day of Lutimax and he seems calmer on it. I have not tried Neuroprotek but Lutimax is a keeper. Right after his dose this morning he sat the entire 30 minutes at speech therapy and did a reasonably good job. He zoned out some but we got quite a few words out of him during the session.

Amy

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:33 pm

I just came home from a consultation with Dr Theoharides, the developer of Neuroprotek. We saw him because we wanted to discuss mast cell activation and brain inflammation. I think if you are having good results with Lutimax, you should also try Neuroprotek, which some parents are seeing great results with.

Alina, I am thrilled your son is doing so well on Lutimax. Just do a small trial of Neuroprotek, increasing slowly. Dr Theo said one cap a day is a good dose for most kids.

Reducing microglial iinflammation in our kids can make a huge difference when it works. Let us know how your son does on Neuroprotek.

alinakvacheva

Postby alinakvacheva » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:17 pm

So, I shouldn’t worry about seizures with quercetin? My son had febrile seizure twice in his life, both when he had high fiver spiking very fast with viral infections.

Another question to Kastania, since you just saw Dr Theo (lucky you :D ! ), from all the available remedies for brain inflammation what would be THE WEAPON of choice? Both, natural and Rx?
In one of your postings you mentioned using Advanced Inflammation Control from VRP. It has anti-inflammatory cytokines properties, particularly for Interleukin-6 and COX-2 inhibition, that has to do with microglia activation. This seems to be a really good fit! I Goggled it, but didn’t find much references to it with connection to Autism. I mean, I was mostly looking for actual people postings, not so much for company advertisement. I wonder why is that such really good product, that fits with anti-microglia inflammation is not much used? What is your experience with this product?

SleepingUnderStars

Postby SleepingUnderStars » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Susiejay

We are using both because my son was getting pretty hyper. He does very well with both, I really think even with AC chelation and all the other stuff, he is doing as well as he ever has, and both Neuroprotek and Lutimax have been good for him.

That said, if you have nice results with just Lutimax maybe you don't even need to use Neuroprotek...just a thought as everything is so expensive. If your son is already very calm and improving, more may not necessarily be better.

I notice also for us that Neuroprotek before bed with some BCN magnesium is the Night Night fairy for him! :D

alinakvacheva

Postby alinakvacheva » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:51 am

My ds is doing very well on Lutimax. We took him to Six Flags yesterday and he went on all the kids rides, and what is even more impressive he stayed very calm all the time, even though it is extremely stimulating environment. He didn’t stim between the rides, and it was unbelievable! So, since we are definitely into something here, I kept digging into what Dr. Theo says about flavonoids. Particularly, he points out that they are very difficult to deliver, since they are not solvable in water, that’s why his formula includes Olive Kernel Extract, to help absorption. Since we are taking Luteolin at Lutimax formulation, I thought may be it would make sense to take Olive Kernel Extract together with Lutimax. What are your thoughts on that? The only thing, I couldn’t find it on-line for sale. It must be different from regular Olive Leaf Extract, right?

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:54 am

Alina

This is good to hear, about your son doing so well.

I've never heard of olive kernel oil being used as a supplement, I think it was used in Neuroprotek to make the three ingredients more absorbable, but I could be wrong.

If your child does well on Neuroprotek and Lutimax, you may want to look into low dosages of two medications called Ketotifen and Rupatidine. Ketotifen is compounded in the U.S. and more and more parents have cottoned on to its benefits and are seeing good results with attending and cognition. Not all DANs know about it as it is not available over the counter in the U.S., only compounded - please go on to Dr Woeller's and other sites and read about what it does.

The combination of Lutimax/Neuroprotek and Ketotifen is being used for neuro-inflammation by inhibiting mast cell activation and histamine. In my opinion, everyone should do a trial of Ketotifen, it literally can be life-changing for a subset of children. The only problem is that like most anti-histamines/leukotriene blockers it affects the blood-brain barrier and can lead to seizure activity. But it can substantially reduce gut inflammation and brain inflammation and helps with leaky gut. My daughter was not able to tolerate it for long but while on it, cognition was markedly improved. I am hoping that by improving her glutathione status and reducing oxidative stress, she will be able to tolerate it in the future as I beleive it will be crucial to her progress.

We are now on a small dose of Rupatidine, a second generation anti-histamine not available in the U.S. It is helping my daughter focus and sit for much longer in school. This has been a big intervention for us and after years of attributing many of her behaviours to yeast and bacteria (which of course we still battle with) I see now that many of her behaviours have nothing to do with these, but rather with histamine release, which is an abnormal reaction of the immune system. We are on a very low dose of Rupatidine and it has been great, my daughter seems to have matured over night. She can sit still for twenty minutes in school (major for her) and is much, much calmer.

Let's face it, many, if not most of our kids are undermethylators and have high histamines. Many of them also have activation of the mast cells due to food and other allergies, producing inflammatory cytokines which hit their brains and produce the behaviours we see. We parents mostly think these behaviours are due to yeast and bactera and sometimes they are, but many times they are not. We spend a lot of time on this board discussing yeast, bacteria, copper/zinc ratio etc and while important, I feel for harder-hit kids we are missing the boat, because neuro-inflammation needs to be addressed.

Tami Wilken, a mother who was one of the first to recover her son on this board, got it right. She recognised that her son had high histamines and she was lucky that he was able to tolerate high doses of methionine to combat this. She explained that histamines act as false neurotransmitters and cause havoc in the brain.

So, Alina, I think you are on the right path. Look at Neuroprotek, Ketotifen and other mast cell inhibitors. Let us know how it goes.

MyMason

Postby MyMason » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:23 pm

Have food allergies decreased or gone away while on Lutimax or Neuroprotek?
Christa
Mom to:
Mitchell,14
Mason,13 autism/nonverbal
Olivia,2 tsc2/pkd1

alinakvacheva

Postby alinakvacheva » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi All,
We had been doing great on LutiMax. Last Wednesday I decided to give a try to NeuroProtek. I cut Lutimax dosage in half, and added Neuroprotek. My son regressed in a couple of days back to “pre-LutiMax” stage. Shimming, brain fog, reduced speech. Shimming got even worth than it was before Lutimax. As soon I realized what was happening, I stopped Neuroprotek and put him back on Lutimax. Unbelievable - the only active ingredient in Neuroprotek that is different is quercetin. I read a paper where it was concluded that quercetin prolonged seizures in mice. Does anybody have anything like this observed with quercetin?
MyMason, my son’s food allergy (IgG, not IgE) did improve considerably, but I can’t tell if it was just Lutimax. As I understand Neuroprotek is designed to reduce mast cell inflammation, therefore improve GI function.

alin

Postby alin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:55 am

Dear Kastania and alinakvacheva

Thank you for your posts. I tried LutiMax on my son and I saw almost instant effect. The first change in him is some sensory seeking behavior ( like he has been going on the couch and stand on his head for months, nothing helps) is gone, this happens in 3-5 day, then comes more shared attention and more expressive language. My son rarely respond to anything so quickly, I was wowed.

I started on 9/21. The last 2 weeks he became hyper and started to take off his clothes and refuse to put them on (a few times a day). I cut down LutiMax in half, added a little more L-theanine, hyper still there and his distraction came back but language gain continued. When I stopped it completely, language is less.

How you handle hyper activity and sensory issues? I really think Lutimax is a keeper.

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi alin

Luteolin is a phenolic compound and maybe your son has problems with clearing phenols. My daughter definitely does and this is where No-Phenol enzyme and epsom salts baths help. Maybe you want to contact the manufacturer and ask him what he recommends for hyperactivity or start at a much lower dose and build up very slowly?

alin

Postby alin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:13 am

HI Kastania

THank you for your reply and sharing with us anti-inflammation in brain and gut. I agree with what you said about yeast and.bacteria not being the culprit but inflammation. Majority of the times its inflammation causes those symptoms not yeast. The fact that some anti-yeast supplements like GSE are actually natural flavonoids( like luteolin) with anti-inflammation properties.

I plan to try ketotifen soon, my DAN suggested 3mg per day for my 5.5 year old son weighted 43 pounds. Do you think it is a good idea to start lower dose? Is it hard on stomach ?

I went to a talk given by Dr Theoharides, and he explained clearly how he designed neuroprotek and what he wants to do to improve it. He is going to make a new anti-inflammation supplement using only luteolin in November this year. Is it out yet ? does anyone know ?

Thanks!
alin

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:54 pm

alin

I would go slow on the Ketotifen. If your kid is prone to seizures of any type, including absence, be careful as Ketotifen lowers the BBB. I would start with 1/4 tablet and slowly work up, looking out for any side-effects such as reduction in speech. Good luck, I hope it works out, Ketotifen can bring many gains, but can also have side-effects.

Re Dr Theo's new supplement, it is called BrainGain. I think it's out sometime in the New Year. It is pure luteolin with no additives and I think many parents are waiting to try this, myself included. Here's some info on it:

U
n i q u e M e d i c a l F o o d
with Greater Absorption
Algonot products are all natural, free from artificial
colors or flavors, corn, milk products, preservatives,
salt, soy, starch, sugar, wheat or yeast. Our ingredients
are not obtained from beef or beef by-products.
Take 1-2 capsules twice daily with food.
Store in a cool place away from children.
TAMPER EVIDENT: Use only if bottle is sealed.
Other ingredients: Gelatin (not from beef), beeswax,
glycerin, purified water,and carob extract.
Manufactured by: Tishcon Corporation, GMP Certified
Salisbury, MD 21801, USA
For Algonot LLC: 5111 Ocean Blvd., Suite J,
Sarasota, FL 34242, USA
1-800-254-6668 1-941-346-5304
Supplement Facts
Where Science and Natural Remedies Meet®
www.ALGONOT.com
BrainGain® is a patent protected
medical food that has been
developed to reduce brain
inflammation and promote brain
function. Research by leading
physicians is the cornerstone of
our work.
(U.S. Patents 6,635,625; 6,641,806; 6,645,482;
6,689,748, 6,984,6677,906,153 & 12/861,152 )
(EPO 1365777)
Serving Size 1 Capsule 120 Softgel Capsules
Amount Per Serving %Daily Value
Calories (45% by Vol. Olive Kernel Oil) 10
Luteolin (95% Pure) 300 mg ‡
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
‡ Daily Value not established
Free From:
Casein, Gluten, Heavy Metals, & Soy
120 Hypo-Allergenic Capsules
BrainGain®
Luteolin
Olive Kernel Oil
Where Science and Natural Remedies Meet®

Dani

Postby Dani » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Can someone post an update on the improvements they're seeing? I'm really interested in trying this product with my daughter.
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

Lolani

Postby Lolani » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:24 am

Hi to everyone, new here!!!!! I have been reading the last posts.. so interesting, specially regarding inflamation, wich I think is what we are dealling.... just did OAT not high markers for neither candida or clostrida, but LOW LOW marker for beneficiall bacteria... so we have to work on that. On the other hand in the complete comprehensive stool, we had high markers for inflamation :( , also a few months ago blood test show also high IgA... so where all these inflamation comes from??????.... been reading about Juan Rodriguez work on microglial activation..... We have lutimax with L teanine, and haven't started yet!!!! but I loved to read that some of you have had good results with lutimax.... any more comments on the progress.....

Kastania, are you still doing lutimax, how is it going so far?????

Thanks

Lolani

Dani

Postby Dani » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:39 pm

For nearly the past month, we've used the NeuroProtek which has luteolin in it. I didn't tell any of the therapists about it so that I could see if there was a difference in their feedback. The therapists say she talks more and seems more engaged.
There's been a definite increase in speech and less brain fog. I get sentences now that I've been trying to get her to say for the past two years. She's even started scolding me a few times by saying "don't say that! Don't say "go to sleep." If I asked her what she did several hours earlier in the day, her recollection seems sharper than before - this is huge for her.
The best results are supposed to come after three months, but even a month out, I would put this down as one of the better supplements we've tried. It seems the ingredients in it really work with my child's issues. Quercetin and Rutin which are in NeuroProtek aggravate some kids, but my kid's biomedical profile shows she does better with such supplements.

The neuroprotek doesn't dissolve in liquid, but you can spread it on toast and put whatever butter substitute you use over it which is what I do. There's no taste to it. You could mix it with food too.
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

michelle

Postby michelle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks for posting this. I have been considering trialing this for some time now. We are doing really well right now, but I think this could be a nice compliment to what we are doing as well.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”