IV IGG Transfusion

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

natasa778

Postby natasa778 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:30 pm

Guest,

Interesting. I went back to that website (mentioned above) and it is saying the same thing:

"one of the absolute criteria to be considered for treatment is:
4) Patient must have normal levels of IgA in quantitative immunoglobulin assays."

Then why would two doctors recomend it in Sasha's case? Unless there is a difference in the quantitative/qualitative type of IgA?

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:36 pm

I don't know but we're about to do IVIG. His Immunologist says that the studies he goes by says that it doesn't matter if the IgA is low or high in Sasha's case.

He did say that BCBS reuqires a normal IgA level for certain diagnosis for IVIG to be covered but Sasha's diagnosis doesn't require a normal IgA level.

-Crystal

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:21 pm

Crystal,
Thanks for all the info. What is the test u did to find out the Ig levels?
Kirti

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:13 am

Sasha has had IgG subclasses drawn for the past 2 1/2 years. Each test showed that at least 2 of the subclasses were significantly low. As we had more test done each time the levels would get lower. We had them drawn December 2004 and several times this year. Our most recent one was a few weeks ago and Sasha's 2 main subclasses were basically nothing. The other 2 were very low. With all the supplements he is taking one would think his immune system would be stronger.

He doesn't get sick though. However we don't take him anywhere. Also I give him olive leaf extract every day and it usually knocks out any symptoms of a bennining of a cold.

His IgA blood test was low and so was his sIgA stool test.

He isn't going on IVIG full time. We're just doing a 3 month "trial" to see what happens. I'm really excited about it. I've heard great things about ASD kids and IVIG. We believe that his immune system is a huge deal with his autism. That and the heavy metals which are linked to one another from what our DAN! says.

-Crystal

Zach's Mom

Postby Zach's Mom » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:25 am

My son gets IVIG only we do it sub Q in his stomach so there are less side effects. We do 9 grams every two weeks and he has really improved since we started six months ago. Do not be surprised if he breaks out into a rash resembling Herpes 6 or has other illness symtoms. If he has serious reactions to the IV they can add Isoprenisine to help counterbalance those effects. Your doctor would have to get it from Ireland though but many of the DAN docs still using IVIG use it to offset negative reactions. We use IgG subclasses and Lymphocyte enumeration panel (like CD8, CD4, NK cell) both from local labs and very elevated titers to determine eligability. The most common ICD-9 code we use to get it paid for is 348.30 Encephalopathy which very simply means brain injury. You may want to check with your doctor to see if they are willing to do it Sub Q and make sure they are using Gammunex, Gammunex, Gammunex since this is the best source. Dr. Gupta has warned about not doing IVIG if you have low IgA but to be honest I don't know why in detail and he may have recanted in the face of new information but since he is arguably the world's leading expert in IVIG I would search out an answer to this contradiction. Do not depend entirely on your doctor, there is a great deal of information to know and precious time to learn it all, you should find out if Dr. Gupta still believes that low IgA is a contraindication for IVIG and why and if your son fits that criteria before you start treatment so you discuss it with your doctor.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:49 am

Our DAN perscribed Xymogen IGG 2000 DF for my 2 y.o. ASD son. It's a powder that we get from Silsby. The label states it's a Immunoglobulin Concentrate High Potency IgG/Pharmaceutical Grade. I can't say I recommend it because we haven't done any labs recently to check if things have improved. I don't think we've seen any big wows from it. We give 2T/day. It's tasteless and odorless.

Dana R.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”