neuroprotek,

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

roseshoe

Re: neuroprotek,

Postby roseshoe » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:14 pm

my little guy is still doing well, however for the first time ever he is getting sick all the time. he has a stomach flu today. its a bit overwhelming but i think its a good thing. ive stopped most supplements now except liver life and NP plus his krill oil and probiotics. since he is vomiting i cant give him anything tonight. im not sure if when this passes if i should lower the dose or push through? :?

SleepingUnderStars

Postby SleepingUnderStars » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:58 pm

I forgot to mention in my last post that my son had his first real cold since I can remember about two weeks ago, he had whatever I had and actually developed a fever!

I don't know if you want to consider ViraStop? It is potent stuff, but if his gut/brain is allowing stuff to be kicked out, perhaps a low dose of that could help? But maybe wait until he is well again before even considering something like this? We started Colostrum in the last 6 weeks or so, I don't know if your kiddo would benefit from the extra immune support if his body is starting to fight everything...

I agree something is going on to allow the immune system to function bettre. I don't know if it is because it is lowering the inflammation enough to allow the body to work more like it should?

I think this is a great product!

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:56 am

Could you please tell me where you buy the neuroprotek from?

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:55 am

I have been waiting for this product to come out since last year's autismone conference. We started my son on it Friday at full dose. I took it as well at full dose. For myself, I noticed I was going to the bathroom all day long. I didn't notice that with my son though.

Excited to hear others trying it as well. :)
Tami

roseshoe

Postby roseshoe » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:35 pm

hi all, well it seems my guy got the flu, day three now and he is so much better! he slept for 14 hours with fever on and off, while his appetite is not back all the way he is clearly on the mend. we took sick days off of all supplements. i am going to start again with lower dose of np i think and just liver life and see how it goes. kastania if you google the word neuroprotek it will come up at algonot co as well as an amazon order spot. when you order they will send you tons of info! there is also some good info in cutting edge therapy's for autism book 2010-2011. yes sleeping under stars, i think it is time now for me to revisit some of the immune stuff i have tried in the past! i have virastop but kinda scared to try it, not sure how he will react now but ill consider it. nice hearing from everyone!

roseshoe

Postby roseshoe » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:50 pm

hey all, so my little guy got really sick and i had to stop everything for seven days, he would seem better and then get a fever and vomit with diarrhea, he was lethargic and not interested in food at all! kinda scary. he is doing better today. before all this we were still doing osr on the weekends and perhaps that was to much! the info from company said not to use other antioxidants but they mentioned curcumin specifically. i am going to wait a couple more days before starting back anything! so odd after years of pills, lotions and tinctures to not be giving him anything! he seems to be maintaining all gains, good news as its been a VERY long week+. :shock:

stephcurry12

Postby stephcurry12 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi there. I am new to the forum. We ordered neuroprotek for our 4 year old son and I am having difficulty getting him to take it. He does not yet swallow pills, so I am cutting open the tip and squeezing out the contents in order to give it to him. He is on to me though and will not take it off of a spoon (mixed with applesauce) and I have tried to hide it in between a slice of allergy free pizza. Can anyone share how they are getting their child to take this? The suspension is the consistency of mustard and I am not able to use a syringe to suck it up (my son takes his other supplements via syringe with no problem). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
Stephanie

joy

Postby joy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Kastania wrote:Could you please tell me where you buy the neuroprotek from?

Amazon.
~Joy~

SleepingUnderStars

Postby SleepingUnderStars » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi stephcurry

My son is 3.5 and what I do is cut open the capsules and I put two of them in a small bit of emu oil, the emu oil makes the thickness of the neuroprotek sort of easily become part of the emu oil and it makes it really easy to use a toddler syringe like you get from Walgreens to suck it up. With the emu oil it equals less than a 1/4 teaspoon total in the syringe.

There is no way around the fact it tastes gross. He threw it up twice. But doing it this way has worked very well. Also, I have mixed Strawberry Hershey's syrup in it, and also have done Hershey's choc syrup....and then suck it up in the little syringe and shoot! Then offer some juice right away. :P

I

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:36 am

I had to stop it temporarily. Initially I was seeing good things; decrease in OCD, better moods but then he started getting really angry and common symptoms of high histamines. So I cut down the dose and then just stopped. I will retry with a very low dose and see if he does better. Hope others are doing well still.
Tami

SleepingUnderStars

Postby SleepingUnderStars » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:32 pm

We are still doing better here. His teachers and daycare both told me last week how well he has been doing recently (they don't know about our using biomedical treatments). We've seen better social contact with us, more snuggling, and more trying to nonverbally communicate what he wants, while still no language, he seems really to be there with you though. A lot more of all these things since starting...so still a keeper here!

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:51 pm

SleepingUnderStars wrote:We are still doing better here. His teachers and daycare both told me last week how well he has been doing recently (they don't know about our using biomedical treatments). We've seen better social contact with us, more snuggling, and more trying to nonverbally communicate what he wants, while still no language, he seems really to be there with you though. A lot more of all these things since starting...so still a keeper here!

Awesome! I am going to try to reintroduce. I think I started too high. :(
Tami

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 pm

Tami, I thought that Quercetin was supposed to be a natural anti-histamine, not to increase histamines!
Has anyone seen any seizure activity with the Neuroprotek or seizure-like activity? Does it reduce the blood-brain barrier? Any other negatives apart from the rash?

autismnhusa

Postby autismnhusa » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:08 pm

We finished a DMSA chelation round 1.5 weeks ago. My son had a clean break from DMSA (no tanking, no crankiness). After he took vitamin C three times a day (300mg/dose), he experienced an unbearable pain in his head after 7 days. I suspected Vitamin C generated more cysteines that brought mercury from other parts of his body to his brain. My son tried Neuroprotek. It had some effect for 3 days in reducing inflammation. Now he is on essential oil (oreganol) and Holy Basil.

Richard

SleepingUnderStars

Postby SleepingUnderStars » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:30 pm

I wanted to mention the rash occurred for amout 6 weeks, and now it is gone. I don't think it was a negative or a side effect, I really think it was kicking out some virus! Maybe that is why he seems even more with it???

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Tami, I thought that Quercetin was supposed to be a natural anti-histamine, not to increase histamines!
Has anyone seen any seizure activity with the Neuroprotek or seizure-like activity? Does it reduce the blood-brain barrier? Any other negatives apart from the rash?

Yes it is. It's why I'm so surprised at the response. But with our kids there's so much going on that perhaps its the result of some sort of regulation or maybe the full dose (i know better than to start at full dose and yet i did) it was too much of a shift in his system. No seizure activity here.

SleepingUnderStars wrote:I wanted to mention the rash occurred for amout 6 weeks, and now it is gone. I don't think it was a negative or a side effect, I really think it was kicking out some virus! Maybe that is why he seems even more with it???

That's a great observation because virals can kick up OCD/high histamine issues. I wonder if something like that was going on at full dose for Gavin so I cut down to 2 caps. He's still got more OCD but his anger is gone. Thanks for sharing that!
Tami

sarahsu9

Postby sarahsu9 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:36 am

Our Kids ASD is now selling it- they have free shipping (code ASD) for orders over $40.

My dd5 had PANDAS, I just bought some, hoping it will help with inflammation.

CaringDad71

Postby CaringDad71 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Quercetin was supposed to be a natural anti-histamine, not to increase histamines!

Yes, this is true. It is also anti-inflammatory.

it was kicking out some virus!......He's still got more OCD but his anger is gone.

Virus never really gets kicked out; it may be silenced, but it really stays e.g. Herpes which is a DNA virus and insinuates itself into our DNA. During opportune times of immune weakness, it can pop out again. One can hope to silence virus by attaching a methyl group to its DNA. Therefore, good methylation is key.

Regarding the anger/mood swings, it is valuable to remember that in addition to being anti-inflammatory quercetin is also a catechol o' methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitor (also, it turns out that it is a MAO inhibitor!). This means that by inhibiting this enzyme, dopamine turnover may also be altered. Therefore, the fluctuations in dopamine can cause mood swings. The degree to which mood swings can heat up depends on COMT status. Therefore, if your child is COMT+ (genetic 'overmethylator'; limited tolerance for additional methyl donors) his/her dopamine will be already relatively high. Hence, inhibiting his/her COMT enzyme will cause more dopamine to hang around longer and the result is one peevish child. Conversely, if your child is COMT-(genetic 'undermethylator'; can tolerate additional methyl donors), he/she will generally have a lower dopamine status. This ties into the above theme of histamine because frequently, some (Pfeiffer method) will define methylation status by histamine levels i.e., low whole blood histamine will denote overmethylator, while high whole blood histamine will denote undermethylator. While this biochemical marker can be useful, it is prone to fluctuation because of supplementation e.g., MB12, TMG, 5-MTHFolate and SAM-e can alter methylation status in an individual.

Although the following article is not autism-related, it discusses quercetin in some detail as it relates to dopamine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12711835

Hope That This Helps!

roseshoe

Postby roseshoe » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:06 pm

hey all, how is everyone kids doing? we have continued at 2 caps a day and my son is continually sick. this week its green snot with a cough. his school thinks im a little goofy im sure as at the beginning of the year i told them my son never gets sick! he also is still getting small red dots at different times and different places on his body. i am truly at a loss, im not sure what to do, keep going or give his poor little body a break! we have stopped every think as he no longer tolerates anything else. any thoughts? thank you, rose

sarahsu9

Postby sarahsu9 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:16 pm

CaringDad71-
Thank you so much for posting that information. My dd5 has PANDAS, we have tested neurons in the brain, and she produces too much dopamine- I had no idea Neuroprotek could affect that- and I do NOT want to alter/increase that in any way- I had ordered Neuroprotek, but sent it back unopened.
I think I'll go back to good old fashioned Enhansa for inflammation issues--we used it before, and had virus pulls.
Thanks again.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”