Does ala deplete or raise glutathione??????

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

jennylynne

Does ala deplete or raise glutathione??????

Postby jennylynne » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:42 pm

Confused!!!

In his book a cutler says that ala depletes glutathione and to take nac!!!!

People here post it boosts glutathione. By definition it should raise glutathione because it is an antioxidant.

Who us right??? Is cutlets book just old as he'll and new research has been done???

I've been toying with trying nac but it feeds yeast....

notforsaken

Re: Does ala deplete or raise glutathione??????

Postby notforsaken » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:47 pm

Not sure but i read somewhere that he didnt recommend taking NAC especially while chelating. Dont ask me what website but i think it had something to do with info on NAC. Its all confusing...

jennylynne

Postby jennylynne » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks maybe the book info is out of date..... I'll hold off and buy whey protein....

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:26 pm

amongst other things
alpha lipoic acid increases glutathione
http://spectrumsleuth.fr.yuku.com/forums/11/General/General

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:47 pm

just one of many scientific studies

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18315507

Abstract
OBJECTIVES:

To determine whether supplementation with alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), a glutathione-replenishing disulfide, modulates whole blood total glutathione (GSH + GSSG) levels and improves lymphocyte function in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected subjects with history of unresponsiveness to highly active antiretroviral treatment (HAART).

DESIGN AND SETTING:

Randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial conducted at two study sites: an eye clinic at a county hospital in San Jose and a research clinic in San Francisco, California.

SUBJECTS:

A total of 33 HIV-infected men and women with viral load >10,000 copies/cm(3), despite HAART, aged 44-47 years, approximately 36% nonwhite, were enrolled.

INTERVENTION:

Patients were randomly assigned to receive either ALA (300 mg three times a day) or matching placebo for 6 months.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:

The change over 6 months in blood total glutathione status, lymphocyte proliferation response to T-cell mitogens, CD4 cell count, and viral load in patients receiving ALA compared to placebo.

RESULTS:

The mean blood total glutathione level in ALA-supplemented subjects was significantly elevated after 6 months (1.34+/-0.79 vs. 0.81+/-0.18 mmol/L) compared to insignificant change (0.76+/-0.34 vs. 0.76+/-0.22 mmol/L) in the placebo group (ALA vs. placebo: p=0.04). The lymphocyte proliferation response was significantly enhanced or stabilized after 6 months of ALA supplementation compared to progressive decline in the placebo group (ALA vs. placebo: p<0.001 with phytohemagglutinin; p=0.02 with anti-CD3 monoclonal antibody). A positive correlation was seen between blood total glutathione level and lymphocyte response to anti-CD3 stimulation (R(2)=0.889). There was no significant change in either HIV RNA level or CD4 count over 6 months in the ALA-supplemented compared to the control group.

CONCLUSION:

Supplementation with alpha-lipoic acid may positively impact patients with HIV and acquired immune deficiency syndrome by restoring blood total glutathione level and improving functional reactivity of lymphocytes to T-cell mitogens.

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:51 pm

another

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9285502

Alpha-lipoic acid in the treatment of diabetic peripheral and cardiac autonomic neuropathy.
Ziegler D, Gries FA.
Source

Diabetes Research Institute at the Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf, Germany.
Abstract

Antioxidant treatment has been shown to prevent nerve dysfunction in experimental diabetes, providing a rationale for a potential therapeutic value in diabetic patients. The effects of the antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid (thioctic acid) were studied in two multicenter, randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled trials. In the Alpha-Lipoic Acid in Diabetic Neuropathy Study, 328 patients with NIDDM and symptomatic peripheral neuropathy were randomly assigned to treatment with intravenous infusion of alpha-lipoic acid using three doses (ALA 1,200 mg; 600 mg; 100 mg) or placebo (PLAC) over 3 weeks. The total symptom score (TSS) (pain, burning, paresthesia, and numbness) in the feet decreased significantly from baseline to day 19 in ALA 1,200 and ALA 600 vs. PLAC. Each of the four individual symptom scores was significantly lower in ALA 600 than in PLAC after 19 days (all P < 0.05). The total scale of the Hamburg Pain Adjective List (HPAL) was significantly reduced in ALA 1,200 and ALA 600 compared with PLAC after 19 days (both P < 0.05). In the Deutsche Kardiale Autonome Neuropathie Studie, patients with NIDDM and cardiac autonomic neuropathy diagnosed by reduced heart rate variability were randomly assigned to treatment with a daily oral dose of 800 mg alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) (n = 39) or placebo (n = 34) for 4 months. Two out of four parameters of heart rate variability at rest were significantly improved in ALA compared with placebo. A trend toward a favorable effect of ALA was noted for the remaining two indexes. In both studies, no significant adverse events were observed. In conclusion, intravenous treatment with alpha-lipoic acid (600 mg/day) over 3 weeks is safe and effective in reducing symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy, and oral treatment with 800 mg/day for 4 months may improve cardiac autonomic dysfunction in NIDDM.

alberta

Postby alberta » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:43 am

I had thought that ALA raises glutathione, too. But I think the glutathione's being used to pull out metals.

We can never get enough glutathione here. I'd like to raise glutathione as much as I can.

Both my kids respond well to NAC, although 250 mg seems to be the maximum they can tolerate...any more than that and Maia thinks she's Jaws. But in moderate amounts, it makes Maia more vocal and it makes both my kids a LOT more social.
Alberta

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:36 am

remember....

Cystine, glycine and glutamine make glutathione. We finally got the courage to add in L-glutamine. So far so good (this helps with GABA regulation too). Our kids use glycine in many different ways to make....glutathione, to make creatine for brain energy and transmission (combined with arginine) and to chelate aluminum. So they get a major glycine deficiency as babies with all the aluminum vaccines. Trouble is... glycine helps bacteria make hippuric acid (the stuff in the OAT for clostridia marker...think this is the name of it). So bacteria needs to be controlled. But many need it desperately, like my son did.
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

fiveyearswasted

Postby fiveyearswasted » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:08 pm

jennylynne wrote:Thanks maybe the book info is out of date..... I'll hold off and buy whey protein....

I think he had mentioned that some people or kids reacted poorly to glutathione/cysteine/NAC but the real point of his message was that those supps do not replace chelation as some people might believe that they can.
No scientific evidence that autism has a toxic or allergic basis. - Mr. Barrett

jennylynne

Postby jennylynne » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:32 am

My theory was that the NAC would help my DD raise her glutathione because she is low in Cysteine.

I did re-read our test and she was on the low end of normal for Sulfate ( not super low...but low enough that she gets phenol reactions from a few fruits...and sulfite reactions). I give her ES baths a few times a week and that seems to be enough...

She does VERY well with Sulfur supplements because they raise her cysteine level I think. HOWEVER...I know they feed yeast.......so I am deathly afraid of adding MSM or NAC because I think that it might hurt her just as much as it benefits. ITs a catch 22 supp for us. JUST like MILK is....just like B vitamins are.

Alberta- Do you think I should do a small trial of about 150mg?
You mean Maia gets MOUTHY? LIke Biting people and things? Because Allie does that EVERY day. It has gotten steadily better since we have been chelating .. and I was giving MORE zinc before. She was normal in copper when we tested so I don't "think" it was an MT issue. Her plasma Zinc has always been normal....I just gave zinc to see if it would HELP with the mouthing. No parasites here unless treating with yeast aids would get rid of those...

Anyways, let me know what you think about NAC since Allie responds well to Dairy despite having elevated Casein Peptides( we don't give enzymes with her milk....only with meals, and she gets milk every morning before school and before dinner ( to make her vitamin whey protein cocktail lol)

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 am

2 of the prominent glutathione precursor supplements have ALA in their formulas.

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/ProductLiter ... ooster.pdf
Nutrients within Glutathione Booster support the
immune system, help us reach optimal health, and
can reward us with peak performance.
Alpha Lipoic Acid: Alpha lipoic acid is an important co-factor in
cellular energy. It supports liver detoxification. There is evidence it may
play an important role in extending the metabolic life of vitamins C
and E, co-enzyme Q10
, and glutathione.

N-Acetyl Cysteine: N-acetyl cysteine is an important amino acid and
an essential building block of glutathione. Ample supplies are needed
for optimal glutathione synthesis within our body. N-acetyl cysteine is
readily absorbed through the digestive tract and becomes available for
the body’s metabolic processes.
Sulfur: Garlic and asparagus are rich in sulfur compounds. Sulfur plays
an important role in the activation of enzymatic reactions involving
cysteine. This element is a component of essential vitamins, body
enzymes, proteins, and more.
Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a familiar and well-known antioxidant utilized
by our body in many ways. Vitamin E acts to prevent free radical
formation and assists maintaining the body’s healthy cellular balance.
Selenium: Selenium is a mineral, and an integral element in the
production of the enzyme called - glutathione peroxidase. It works
together with vitamin E and protects the cells from oxidative damage
of free radicals. It assists in ionic transfers, and is a vital component of
co-enzyme Q10
synthesis.
Milk Thistle Extract: The extract from the seeds of the milk thistle
plant contains silymarin, which may assist in decreasing oxidation and
may aid in the promotion of glutathione levels within the liver.
Vitamin C: Vitamin C, a widely studied antioxidant and a vital daily
nutrient, plays a critical role in maintaining the antioxidant capacity of
cellular metabolism. Vitamin C supports immune function and has the
capacity to help maintain or boost glutathione levels.
Riboflavin (B2): Our body uses riboflavin in various ways. It is
primarily involved in energy production, but also plays a role within
glutathione metabolism.

Keep in mind this is from sales literature.

http://maxgxl.com/max4u/pages/?wicket:b ... axGXLPage#
Additional Information
Calcium Ascorbate - A mineral salt of Vitamin C. Calcium Ascorbate is 80% Vitamin C and 20% calcium. Ascorbates are less acidic than other types of vitamin C and provide better absorption than ascorbic acid alone. It protects the body from toxins and acts as an immune builder and as an antioxidant. It is essential for growth and repair of tissues. It helps your body to cope with physical and mental stress. Calcium Ascorbate produces the frequency necessary to activate protease so is a key component to proper protein digestion as well. Also maximises NAC absorption and helps protect existing glutathione stores.
L-Glutamine - The most abundant of all of the amino acids found in the muscles of the body. It has the ability to penetrate the so-called bloodbrain barrier and is readily transformed into Glutamic Acid, which is essential for cerebral function. In other words, this amino acid is used as brain fuel. L-glutatmine is an essential dietary component which nourishes cells in the gastro-intertinal lining, liver and imuune system. It also preserves liver glutathione after hepatic injury.
Milk Thistle - Contains some of the most potent liver protecting substances known. One of the active phytochemicals called Sylimarin prevents free radical damage in the liver and kidneys. It also stimulates new liver cells and is and excellent immune system builder.
N Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) - N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) is the best dietary source of glutathione. It is a main precursor for the manufacture of glutathione (GSH).
N-Acetyl-D-Glucosamine (NAG) is a key precursor in the biostynthesis of mucosal glycoproteins. It protects the underlying tissues from enzymes, acids and bacteria while providing a surface to absorb nutrients.
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) - Alpha lipoic acid increases the body's ability to use cysteine to manufacture glutathione. It also enables the key enzyme required for glutathione sysnthesis to work at optimal conditions, and induces an increase in intracellular GSH.
Quercitin - Quercitin plays a critical role in regenerating glutathione and helps to eliminate toxic compounds found in the liver.
Cordyceps - Cordyceps functions as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. It has also been shown to increase liver energy and glutathione synthesis. In MaxGXL, howerver, its primary function is to reduce inflammation and free radicals by decreasing the thermostat for inflammation called nuclear factor kappa beta.

Keep in mind these folks are trying to sell a very overpriced supplement to you.
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:11 pm

does anyone knows why AC doesn't encourage to use GSH but NAC or others to boost GSH level?

Creatineman

Postby Creatineman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:26 pm

Because GSH is a tri peptide, and may be destroyed in the stomach. Some probably will make it through, and be absorbed though. NAC imo sucks. There is a study showing sublingual GSH is better than NAC.

Even better is home made liposomal glutathione. Here is a simple recipe
8g GSH powder (solublity of GSH is 29g/100ml. If that data is wrong, and 8g won't dissolve in 100ml water have to make it less)
8g glycerol. Adding ethanol or DMSO might help also but if don't have them them glycerol is fine
15g lecithin
in 100ml water
Blend well, then put in glass container in water filled jewellery cleaner/sonicator, and sonicate for 1 hour. Drink 50ml a day or whatever the desired amount is. If wanting to make larger amounts just multiply all ingredients by 5, 10, 20 or whatever. The amount of GSH, lecithin, glycerol per 100ml can be played around/experimented with.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”