Intestinal Metal Detox (IMD) - Positive Result Report

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

torenada

Re: Intestinal Metal Detox (IMD) - Positive Result Report

Postby torenada » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:51 pm

dabaxter wrote:Torenada,
Please give us an update on how this is going.

It's actually still going really well. Over the past two weeks, Skyler has become a lot more loving. My mom jokes that he has become a real "momma's boy," but it's nice for me because he didn't really show me much affection over the first 2 or 3 years, so it's really good for my spirit to have him be so affectionate.

He's also becoming much more aware of emotions. If I frown, he quickly says, "Don't cry, momma. Be happy, momma. Are you happy, momma?" I can tell it worries him when he doesn't please me, and this is a HUGE change.

Overall I can tell a huge difference in speech and just with being very "with it." He's even started to calm down and act a little more maturely, which has been a big concern of mine.

I'm almost through one bottle of the IMD, and my DAN dr. recommended 3 or 4 bottles of it before looking at possible going to a maintenance dosage or trying to stop. I just ordered another hair test, and I will post the results when I get them. Hopefully then we'll have some documentation to prove what we're seeing with the IMD.

I must say too that Dr. Shade has communicated with me several times when I've had questions or concerns, and that is a big plus for me. He's very much interested in having me to continue documenting our results for him and possibly writing a testimonial as he stated that there are not a lot of children currently using their products.

At this point, you'd have to pry the bottle of IMD out of my cold, dead hands to get us to stop. That's how good the results are for us. However, I do have to administer GSE with it daily because I see yeasty behaviors without it.
Skyler's mommy-
6 yr old w/ autism
<biomedicalforautism.com>

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:57 am

I bet this stuff is pulling out aluminum. Do you think?
However, I do have to administer GSE with it daily because I see yeasty behaviors without it.

Aluminum detox does increase yeast for us too. This is why, early on in our autism biomed adventure, when I was using magnesium malate, I had no idea that it may be doing this. chelating out aluminum and feeding yeast. But I betcha it's pulling out aluminum. I may have to try this one this month. Glad your kid is doing so well. It's so nice to get to this place with your child. Fun to see them emerge. Detox has definitely helped my son a ton. going after copper too may bring even more good stuff.
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

torenada

Postby torenada » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:00 pm

JeniB wrote:I bet this stuff is pulling out aluminum. Do you think?

Very very possible. On the hair elements test last year, Skyler's highest toxic element was aluminum. The reference range was <8.0, and his result was 21. He wasn't in the red, but he was very close. I can imagine that getting rid of that aluminum WOULD cause a big difference. Also, another interesting note is that Skyler's only vaccination was the HepB at birth, which most definitely had aluminum. Ugh!

I'm really anxious to see how the aluminum looks on his new hair test. We're waiting on the results now.

Copper was in the normal range on the last hair test. We'll see what the next one shows and go from there....
Skyler's mommy-
6 yr old w/ autism

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:56 am

I totally blame aluminum for my son's low carnitine and calcium metabolism problems. Not only that, his hyper immune system problems as well. since it's main purpose is to "cause a response by the immune system to the antigen". Aluminum is EVERYWHERE as I've said many times. And even kids that don't get aluminum containing shots, get it from their mom's and when there's bone turnover, more gets released. I even think the high dose vitamin K shot triggers some kind of aluminum oxalate issue...triggering a very large oxalate dump (damaging the gut mucosa at the same time with the large ox dump) and using aluminum instead of calcium for bodily functions..since it is what's circulating in the babies bloodstream during vaccinations.

Aluminum feeds yeast in a big way, since the bread companies like to use it to make their bread extra doughy and rise faster...so pulling out aluminum WOULD cause a yeast flare.

We've been using a couple of magnesium supplements to help remove aluminum it's called "shuttle chelation" when using several different things to move it out more continuously...like thorne's citramate (citrate/malate) form of mag. Magnesium Malate. Magnesium Ascorbate and Magnesium Glycinate. I also use Magnesium Aspartate to dissolve oxalates (which I think are bound to aluminum as well). Which works beautifully for us (some believe it's an excitotoxin, I just haven't seen it, maybe my son is low aspartic acid...but the papers I've read on this particular form of magnesium claims it's the best at lowering body oxalate burden and actually stops dumping-which was a big problem my son had, oxalates). I had a hard time finding a new source of magnesium asparate...apparently Thorne has quit making it and I could only find Pure Caps brand.

Keep us posted!
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:31 pm

JeniB wrote:I totally blame aluminum for my son's low carnitine and calcium metabolism problems. Not only that, his hyper immune system problems as well. since it's main purpose is to "cause a response by the immune system to the antigen". Aluminum is EVERYWHERE as I've said many times. And even kids that don't get aluminum containing shots, get it from their mom's and when there's bone turnover, more gets released. I even think the high dose vitamin K shot triggers some kind of aluminum oxalate issue...triggering a very large oxalate dump (damaging the gut mucosa at the same time with the large ox dump) and using aluminum instead of calcium for bodily functions..since it is what's circulating in the babies bloodstream during vaccinations.

Aluminum feeds yeast in a big way, since the bread companies like to use it to make their bread extra doughy and rise faster...so pulling out aluminum WOULD cause a yeast flare.

We've been using a couple of magnesium supplements to help remove aluminum it's called "shuttle chelation" when using several different things to move it out more continuously...like thorne's citramate (citrate/malate) form of mag. Magnesium Malate. Magnesium Ascorbate and Magnesium Glycinate. I also use Magnesium Aspartate to dissolve oxalates (which I think are bound to aluminum as well). Which works beautifully for us (some believe it's an excitotoxin, I just haven't seen it, maybe my son is low aspartic acid...but the papers I've read on this particular form of magnesium claims it's the best at lowering body oxalate burden and actually stops dumping-which was a big problem my son had, oxalates). I had a hard time finding a new source of magnesium asparate...apparently Thorne has quit making it and I could only find Pure Caps brand.

Keep us posted!

Interesting. I just found out that Malic Acid chelates Aluminum, and Magnesium Malate is a good source of it. My son is also high in oxalates. I'd like to try your methods with a few tweaks. I've read here http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/oxalates.asp that Calcium Citrate is best at removal:

Give supplements of calcium citrate to reduce oxalate absorption from the intestine. Citrate is the preferred calcium form to reduce oxalate because citrate also inhibits oxalate absorption from the intestinal tract. The best way to administer calcium citrate would be to give it with each meal. Children over the age of 2 need about 1000 mg of calcium per day. Of course, calcium supplementation may need to be increased if the child is on a milk-free diet. The most serious error in adopting the gluten-free, casein-free diet is the failure to adequately supplement with calcium.

Try N-Acetyl glucosamine to stimulate the production of the intercellular cement hyaluronic acid to reduce pain caused by oxalates (16).

Give chondroitin sulfate to prevent the formation of calcium oxalate crystals (17).

Vitamin B6 is a cofactor for one of the enzymes that degrade oxalate in the body and has been shown to reduce oxalate production (18).

Increase water intake to help to eliminate oxalates.

Excessive fats in the diet may cause elevated oxalate if the fatty acids are poorly absorbed because of bile salt deficiency. Nonabsorbed free fatty acids bind calcium to form insoluble soaps, reducing calcium ability to bind oxalate and reduce oxalate absorption (19). If taurine is low in the plasma amino acid profile, supplementation with taurine may help stimulate bile salt production (taurocholic acid), leading to better fatty acid absorption and diminished oxalate absorption.

Probiotics may be very helpful in degrading oxalates in the intestine. Individuals with low amounts of oxalate-degrading bacteria are much more susceptible to kidney stones (20). Both Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis have enzymes that degrade oxalates (21).

Increase intake of essential omega-3 fatty acids, commonly found in fish oil and cod liver oil, which reduces oxalate problems (22). High amounts of the omega-6 fatty acid, arachidonic acid, are associated with increased oxalate problems (23). Meat from grain fed animals is high in arachidonic acid.

Take supplements of vitamin E, selenium, and arginine which have been shown to reduce oxalate damage (24, 25).

Undertake a low oxalate diet. This may be especially important if the individual has had Candida for long periods of time and there is high tissue oxalate buildup. There may be an initial bad reaction lasting several days to a week after starting the diet since oxalates deposited in the bones may begin to be eliminated as oxalates in the diet are reduced.

Evaluate vitamin C intake. Vitamin C can break down to form oxalates. However, in adults, the amount of oxalate formed did not increase until the amount exceeded 4 g of vitamin C per day (26). A large study of more than 85,000 women found no relation betwen vitamin C intake and kidney stones (27). In addition, an evaluation of 100 children on the autistic spectrum at The Great Plains Laboratory revealed that there was nearly zero correlation between vitamin C and oxalates in the urine (Table 2). Megadoses (more than 100 mg/Kg body weight per day) of vitamin C were shown to markedly reduce autistic symptoms in a double blind placebo controlled study (28) so any restriction of vitamin C needs to be carefully weighed against its significant benefits.

Perhaps I'll try combining Magnesium Malate with Calcium Citrate.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks for reposting this. We had ignored the oxalic acid issue (it was slightly above range) by thinking we will go after the underlying cause - fungus/yeast (without much success). Had not tried the other approaches (calcium citrate, low oxalate diet, B6, etc.). Has anybody been able to lower oxalic acid to normal/low levels using any of the above approaches in repeat OAT?

Our mistake for the past year has been not supplementing enough calcium in diet or supplement after removing dairy (according to Dr. Shaw, that can cause eye stims, eye-poking, etc.). Calcium citrate looks good.

Per the GPL article, oxalates can bind to mercury (least soluble, so presumably hardest to remove from tissues). We have done 20 AC rounds and plan to put this on hold for a month and try addressing yeast / oxalate now. We did get the IMD product as well, so will give that a try during this time as well.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:01 pm

I am trying to address the yeast problems too, but without stopping chelation. I am not sure if it is wise and welcome any comments. Why not use antifungals like Nystatin or ThreeLac while continuing chelation? My son has no visible problems with DMSA AC chelation at 8.3mg/dose except for higher hyperactivity and stimming, which I attribute to yeast because his last OAT yeast markers were through the roof and perhaps it got even worse on DMSA. Neither Nystatin nor Diflucan nor GFSE were able to get yeast under control. I don't want to bring the big gun Ketoconazole that would kill his liver. But, ThreeLac looks very interesting. kulkulkan, did you consider using something like Nystatin or ThreeLac while continuing chelation?

Also, the idea of using IMD to mop the metals out of the gut between the rounds seems very interesting. But, at $147 I wonder if it would add anything beyond what DMSA is already doing? DMSA absorbtion rate is only 20-25%, so most of it stays in the gut and chelates there much cheaper.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:26 pm

What I like about the idea (assuming it works) of using IMD is that it is not absorbed, so can dose anytime and not worry about redistribution. Cannot dose DMSA or DMPS like that. Right now we have only used IMD couple of times after round is done (with ALA) to hopefully mop up any metals coming out naturally or because of ALA. I know AC thinks it is a waste since most of DMSA/DMPS that is not absorbed can do the same thing and most of what makes it or excreted via the gut is not reabsorbed anyway. Yes, it is expensive but if it lasts 4-6 months, then not too bad for off-round use. Our long-term plan is to do TD-ALA only, not using much or any DMSA/DMPS, so IMD can be helpful in that scenario.

On yeast, we did a course of Nystatin a few months ago with no change, so didn't ask for long-term course of it. Have a script of Diflucan which I haven't filled in couple of months yet (was trying to get as many rounds in as possible) - that was more effective for us last time, so will temporarily stop chelation to hopefully get yeast back under control. Was planning to try that with VSL#3 this time.

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:39 am

At this point, you'd have to pry the bottle of IMD out of my cold, dead hands to get us to stop.

OMG -love this! :D So happy you are seeing such amazing gains! Really amazing work!
Tami

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:20 am

kulkulkan wrote:Right now we have only used IMD couple of times after round is done (with ALA) to hopefully mop up any metals coming out naturally or because of ALA.

When you say "a couple of times", do you mean a couple of times each lasting 5 days ON and 2 days OFF, or just two random days? I found another positive review of IMD:

http://biomedicalforautism.com/success-imd-and-two-steps-back-disease/

Perhaps it may work despite what AC says. May be it works by removing some other toxins in GI besides metals. Could you attribute any improvements to the IMD usage?

MommaP

Postby MommaP » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:32 am

That is great news!
Thank you for sharing this important info

I am looking for an effective DAN doctor, in Dallas Tx so that we could see progress like this. Congratulations,,,, I wrote IMD Down on my list of things to talk to a DAN about

Thanks
MommaP. (Mother of 3 year old twins)

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:14 am

Couple of times meaning one dose at the end of last two AC rounds with ALA. We haven't tried 5 days on, 2 days off but will this month as we take short break from AC chelation. No obvious changes from single dosing. Will post here if the 5 day dosing makes any difference.

I believe that blog is the same parent who started this thread.

biomed_dad

Postby biomed_dad » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:12 pm

We have been using a product from BioPure called MetalSweep which I believe is the same thing:
http://retailbiopure.me/MetalSweep-30g.html

We have been using 1/2 scoop daily and increase it to 1 scoop during chelation rounds.

I had not seen the suggestion of 5 days on 2 days off before.

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:15 am

Torenada,
Please give us a new update on how this is going.
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

torenada

Postby torenada » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:00 pm

Things are still going well. We're keeping it low and slow with 1/2 a scoop each day. As long as we treat yeast and keep it in check, we continue to make gains. My son is now in a regular kindergarten class and performing well (unless he gets ahold of Red40).
Skyler's mommy-
6 yr old w/ autism

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:38 pm

That's encouraging. Do you attribute your gains to the IMD?
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

torenada

Postby torenada » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:19 pm

dabaxter wrote:That's encouraging. Do you attribute your gains to the IMD?

Absolutely.
Skyler's mommy-
6 yr old w/ autism

momof6

Postby momof6 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:20 am

I'd like to look more into IMD. Is there a link to the protocol? FOr my 5 year old son, is it safe to use IMD while chelating with ALA/DMSA on the weekends?

torenada

Postby torenada » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Looking back over this old thread, I felt like I needed to update today. Over the past month, my son has been doing well in school, but continues to have significant problems with focus and hyperactivity. His teachers really have a hard time keeping him in his seat, and I was getting frustrated - even to the point where I was considering ADHD meds (ugh!). In desperation this week, I remembered how well my son did while taking IMD, so I pulled it out of the medicine chest and started it up again. We are now on day 4, and the change has been immediate and noticeable. The past three days, he is "clipping up" in his classroom for good behavior, whereas before, he was clipping down. He is completing assignments (and homework without arguing!), staying in his seat, and contributing answers to class discussions. When he talks with us at home, he is a lot more "with it" and gives us details about his day instead of answering, "I don't know." I am not sure why this always leads to amazing gains, but I continue to be sold on this product. I'm thankful that I thought to try it again....not even sure why I stopped it initially. I guess I thought he didn't need it anymore. Boy, was I wrong.
Skyler's mommy-
6 yr old w/ autism

Alexander_B

Postby Alexander_B » Tue May 19, 2015 10:47 pm

Hey Torenada,

Have you considered giving your son the other supplements by QuickSilver Scientific, such as the liposomal glutathione and vitamin C? Also, have you tried increasing the dose?

Your report is really encouraging. It's great that your son is seeing such great improvements with the IMD. I too had great results with the IMD and the complete protocol by QuickSilver Scientific here: http://www.completenutritionandwellness.com/store/quicksilver-scientific-30-day-combo-pack-complete-detoxification-protocol-kit.html along with other heavy metal detoxification supplements such MSM, liposomal R-ALA, selenium, zinc, iodine, topical magnesium oil, and a few others. I wrote extensively about my experience with detoxification and supplements like IMD on my site here: http://thesupermandiet.com/detox

Have you tried changing his diet? It seems like the IMD is helping because it reduces inflammation in the gut and binds to the toxins there, so it may be a good idea to eliminate foods that are known to cause inflammation in the gut such as gluten, conventional dairy, and high sugar.

As for aluminum, Dr. Klinghardt suggests that we need the orthosilicic acid version of silica to help with detoxifying aluminum. If you read some of the reviews here http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/Flora-Vegetal-Silica-Orthosilicic-Acid-180-Veggie-Caps/3062/?p=1 you'll find people who had positive results with lowering aluminum by taking silica in that form. Taking magnesium malate/malic acid along with silica should help in lowering aluminum levels.

I think a microsilica supplement like IMD or MetalSweep can be immensely helpful to any detoxification/chelation protocol, as it can help bind to toxins and metals that are being mobilized which otherwise may end up recirculating and accumulating in the body instead of being excreted, causing more inflammation and damage. I also found it helpful to work on eliminating parasites and candida (yeast) simultaneously while chelating heavy metals.

Hope your son continues to improve and feel better. Keep us posted!

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”