Anyone else using Vayarin? It's been amazing

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Sukee

Anyone else using Vayarin? It's been amazing

Postby Sukee » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:36 pm

I haven't been on here in a long long while. I think the last time I was on here we were getting ready to start with Pierre Fontaine. I did do a couple sessions with him and we did do the homeopathy for a little while. The first time it was administered we saw great things the next day, but we never saw it again. 1st grade was REALLY rough on DD. She was having a very hard time emotionally, and we hit that end of the year sensory dip that went all through March. We stopped chelating after however many rounds my siggy says. We started her in a brain training program called LearningRX. I really think that did help her academically. We started off 2nd grade pretty overwhelmed. Her teacher she got this year is amazing and I requested some of the kids that were creating a negative classroom environment not to be in her class this year. She has always been HUGE on positive atmosphere and approach when it comes to teaching and I think the teacher and some kids were really throwing another thorn into the whole situation. This year has been wonderful. The school had brought up some ADD issues and the pediatrician sent us to a neurologist. He of course is not DAN familiar and poo poo's anything you talk about that is functional medicine. I knew this going into it, but my husband and I had decided that we could not afford for DD to get behind at this critical age in foundational learning at school. He wanted us to try a low dose of Focalin and said it had the least amount of side affects. We agreed we would try it during the summer so we could really watch for any negatives. I was not going to put her on anything that suppressed her appetite. She is a great eater, but thin as a rail. She can not lose sleep either because she just cannot function if she doesn't sleep. Well, right off the bat she seemed more present with us and engaging on her own in conversation. She was even adding and commented on conversations that were not directed at her. It was just all around obvious she was more present! It is hard to tell if it would help with her ADD because this isn't something I saw at home. It was something they see at school when she has to engage in academic activities that are very challenging to her. The neurologist had also given me a script for Vayarin. He said it is the first pharmaceutical fish oil that can cross the blood brain barrier and that the studies are pretty impressive in that they are seeing it work the same as ADD/ADHD meds, but without the side affects. He of course wanted us to try the Focalin XR first. I had talked to the homeopathist and he told us to get her off the Focalin XR. He told us to try the Vayarin. I wanted to anyway because I'm all about a more natural approach and only pharmaceuticals if absolutely necessary. We went ahead and decreased until we stopped the Focalin XR and started her on the Vayarin. They say it takes about 2 months for it to really kick in and I must say that I am really amazed! She is acting the most typical then she ever has. She is present with us all day and not just mid day and then exhausted at the end. She made the honor roll for the first time ever. She is doing things that they presented at the beginning of school that I thought there was no way she could do and she's doing it! Correctly and on her own with me just telling her to do it. She still struggles with reading fluently and spelling. She is not one of the kids on the spectrum that had servants in any area that we are aware of. All academics have been a great struggle for her and we used to end the night of homework in tears and anxiety overload. They have not had to implement any of her behavioral plans this year. The OT has commented that she is like a different kid. Every 6 wks at their assembly one student is awarded the "Good Citizen" award. The child is nominated by other members of the classroom. I was in tears as my DD was called to the stage and to see all the 2nd graders clapping and cheering for her was something I never thought I would see for her. I didn't come onto the board though to brag about DD. I wanted to come on here because we wouldn't be where we are now without all of the knowledge of the parents on this board. I have learned more then I ever would have on my own, and I am so appreciative for so many parents on here. I just wanted to share something we tried that is working for our daughter and if it could help anyone's child in anyway I wouldn't want to keep it to myself. I hope this is helpful to someone!
Suzee~
DD-8- 50 lbs Rd: 34-25mg ALA

kulkulkan

Re: Anyone else using Vayarin? It's been amazing

Postby kulkulkan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks and great to hear. Fish oil with high DHA has been one of the best interventions that we have tried. Will research Vayarin as ADHD is one of the core deficits that we are dealing with and want to address.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:23 am

This is the Vayarin study though cannot access the full text.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21807480

What each pill contains is phostidylserine (PS) 75mg, EPA 21.5mg, DHA 8.5mg to be taken 2x daily. Lots of studies on efficacy of PS, and omega-3 on ADHD, but the dosage of DHA/EPA in Vayarin is very low compared to what is seen in typical fish oil supplements. I cannot find any studies or facts to show one can cross blood brain barrier more effectively than the other. So, I am going to stick to the fish oil that we like, and just try adding PS complex which is also readily available.

Even though this is not medicine, it is great to see that food/nutrition supplement companies are sponsoring studies and directly marketed to doctors and creating more awareness.

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:58 pm

I believe our neurologist brought this up as well our last visit. Is it higher in EPA? he mentioned high EPA in an oil he's seen do awesome stuff with ADHD, whichi is something we're also dealing with here.

thanks for the report!
that's so great for your daugher!!!

jenib
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

susiejay

Postby susiejay » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:42 pm

That is wonderful your daughter is doing so well! I've never hear of Vayarin. I'll have to ask ds's doctor about it the next time we are in for a visit.

Dylynn

Postby Dylynn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:28 pm

I have an appt coming up too. Did you have any luck getting insurance to cover it?
Son - Somewhere on the Spectrum

Sukee

Postby Sukee » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:19 am

Thanks everyone! She is still doing amazing on it and we are still thrilled.

No, insurance does not cover it, and it is cheapest at Wal-mart. It costs around $50 for a month supply.
Suzee~

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:20 am

Sukee

Does the bottle say if Vayarin contains soy?

Thanks

K.

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 pm

I think what may make this different is it's ability to cross into the brain more effectively. Not necessarily the amount of EFA's and DHA's in it. Sounds promising.
Jen
(mom of 3)

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:24 pm

JeniB wrote:I think what may make this different is it's ability to cross into the brain more effectively. Not necessarily the amount of EFA's and DHA's in it. Sounds promising.

I couldn`t find source of that statement (claim) - not on their website, or any literature to support that. I think the claim the PS is bonded with omega-3 (i.e. different molecule than taking separately) may be more plausible.

jennifha

Postby jennifha » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:05 am

This sounds very interesting. I am considering trying ADHD meds for my son for his hyperactivity. I really have wanted to avoid this, but it is a serious problem for him.

I am wondering how long did it take to see an effect?

Have you tried Fish Oil and/or phos before the Vayarin? What did you see? We have not seen much a difference with either, but I have not tried them together.
"'Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.'"

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:25 am

The neurologist had also given me a script for Vayarin. He said it is the first pharmaceutical fish oil that can cross the blood brain barrier and that the studies are pretty impressive in that they are seeing it work the same as ADD/ADHD meds, but without the side affects.

this is where I read it. maybe it's more nano-sized? which is what a lot of pharmaceuticals are doing now to get drugs into the brain more effectively these days. I didn't find any info like this on their website however, just her neurologist saying so.
Jen
(mom of 3)

Sukee

Postby Sukee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Sorry, I've just been able to get back on here.

I looked on the bottle and it states "may contain soy and fish" The shellfish they use is Krill. I can't tell you where it says about the blood brain barrier, but I will restate that this Neurologist is not a biomed persuaded physician. He is not a DAN physician and he pretty much told me everything out there outside of the box that was not medication or therapy was hog wash. I of course sat there with my lips sealed because I was not going to get into a heating discussion on how much my daughter has changed by doing everything he said was hog wash! LOL I was shocked that he brought it up and recommended it (it was his second choice though to the pharmaceutical drug), but the drug reps had given him the data and he said there were tons of case studies that says it is working for ADD/ADHD kids.

I think when I went in for the check up and told him that it is definitely working that he is still a little baffled by all of this. He said he keeps having more and more patients saying it is working and if it is then great. When I had told him that we were on fish oils and have been since her diagnosis, he was adamant that this is not like any fish oil out there. I was quoting him when he said it was the first pharmaceutical grade fish oil that crosses the blood brain barrier. I have not went on and researched it myself. It is working and it is not causing any negative side affects that you hear of with ADD/ADHD meds. We did give it a good 2 months. You have to remember though that we started on the Focalin first and saw good things, and didn't have any of the negative side affects; however, we were on the lowest dose and everyone tells me once their bodies get adjusted to the dose you have to keep increasing. We tapered off of it and went straight on to this. We didn't see any real gaps like she lost the positives until that 2 months, but she just seems to overall continue to improve and seem more typical. I think the cool stuff about this is that if your child is on a pharmaceutical ADD/ADHD med, I would think, you could start them on this as well and then getting closer to the 2 month mark start tapering off of the pharmaceutical drug.

My nephew is on a patch for ADHD and has been for an extremely long time. I wish so much that my sister could find a doctor to prescribe this for him and she could try to get him off that dang patch. He was a premie at birth, but he is just so small for his age. He is 11 and my DD that is 8 is as big as him. He has the negative side affects of not having an appetite and he is constipated all the time. Next year his class will be in the High School building and I am terrified for the little guy!
Last edited by Sukee on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzee~

Sukee

Postby Sukee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Okay, when I look up Vayarin online and it lists what it contains:

Two Vayarin capsules provide:

Phosphatidylserine (PS): 150 mg
Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA): 43 mg
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA): 17 mg

However, on the bottle insert it say's:

"Each capsule contains Lipirinen 167 mg, providing:

Phosphatidylserine (PS): 75 mg
Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA): 21.5 mg
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA): 8.5 mg

Then it shows a schematic structure of one of the most abundant molecules present in Vayarin.

INGREDIENTS
Phosphatidylserine, Hypromellose, Silicon Dioxide, Rosemary Extract (preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (E305-E309), Ascorbyl Palmitate (E304), Titanium Dioxide (color), FD&C Blue #1 (color)"

I don't know why they always have to put dang color in it. She could care less if she is swallowing a black pill, white pill or blue pill :?

Then it goes on and talks about the Mechanism of Action, but never states anything about crossing the BBB.
Suzee~

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:05 am

Thanks. I think BBB claim is just a marketing spin for the docs. If it was true, it would be all over their actual marketing literature in order to differentiate themselves even more.

We cannot get hold of vayarin (doc and pharmacy hadn't heard of it). We already had DHA/EPA in place, and added PS Complex this week (with choline) and it is early but so far impressed with this phospholipid.

georgiam

Postby georgiam » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:43 pm

which brand ps complex and what dose. hoping to try this for dd, 3yo, prior to starting mb12 as I've heard they can increase hyperactivity.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Picked up the NOW brand PS 100mg (with choline and inositol) just to give it a try as that was readily available in nutrition store. It does contain soy (most PS will be from soy). Have also ordered the Yasko (holistic health brand) PS Complex as well.

Our son is an undermethylator, so can tolerate methyl groups without an issue. Choline is also a methyl donor as well, so need to keep that in mind especially if starting MB12. Personally, I would start with MB12 first. BTW, we didn't see increased hyperactivity from MB12 but did see night awakening with anxiety/OCD (which is very rare for our son) if we give the shot at night.

mel

Postby mel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Thanks for posting Sukee! I had an appt with the Neurologist 2 weeks ago and asked him for a script for Vayarin. He had never heard of it but looked it up and gave me the script. I started 2 weeks ago at one capsule per day and it had an amazing effect on my sons attention and focus but he started to get very stressed out and tearful after about 2 days on it. So I cut it out for a couple of days and then put it back in at half a capsule per day and this seems to be a good amount for him. The teachers are seeing a major difference in the amount of work he can get thru. He would normally have to be prompted to keep working and he is now finishing his work independently most of the time.

amndzon

Postby amndzon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:35 am

Natural Factors has something that might be very akin to this on their website. I picked up a bottle at Wegman's for about $12.
http://www.naturalfactors.com/caen/prod ... siq-memory

There is also a short video on their website about it as well. http://naturalfactors.com/caen/blog/201 ... mory-Boost

It appears as though it's being marketed to those who are aging and wanting to boost memory instead of to children.

Sukee

Postby Sukee » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:05 pm

mel wrote:Thanks for posting Sukee! I had an appt with the Neurologist 2 weeks ago and asked him for a script for Vayarin. He had never heard of it but looked it up and gave me the script. I started 2 weeks ago at one capsule per day and it had an amazing effect on my sons attention and focus but he started to get very stressed out and tearful after about 2 days on it. So I cut it out for a couple of days and then put it back in at half a capsule per day and this seems to be a good amount for him. The teachers are seeing a major difference in the amount of work he can get thru. He would normally have to be prompted to keep working and he is now finishing his work independently most of the time.

Oh, that is awesome! I hope it works out and you all see huge improvements. It sounds like you are. Him working independently is what they are seeing at school in my daughter as well. They used to have to go by and keep reminding her to work, but they say she is really right on it now.
Suzee~

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”