Anyone else using Vayarin? It's been amazing

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Sukee

Re: Anyone else using Vayarin? It's been amazing

Postby Sukee » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:06 pm

amndzon wrote:Natural Factors has something that might be very akin to this on their website. I picked up a bottle at Wegman's for about $12.
http://www.naturalfactors.com/caen/prod ... siq-memory

There is also a short video on their website about it as well. http://naturalfactors.com/caen/blog/201 ... mory-Boost

It appears as though it's being marketed to those who are aging and wanting to boost memory instead of to children.

This is really interesting. Keep us posted on how it works out for you! The only thing I wouldn't like about that one personally is that you have to does more then once a day. I'm so over dosing out pills all day long. I love being able to give her the pills in the morning with breakfast and being done with it. However, the price is low and if it works who cares..right? :D
Suzee~
DD-8- 50 lbs Rd: 34-25mg ALA

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:58 am

We are not talking the same thing here. Notice the PS is derived from soy in the supplement. The Vayarin PS is supposedly not.

Sukee,
Can you please see if there is any "contains soy" on your package?

http://vayapharma.com/Article.aspx?Item=856&
The beneficial effects of Omega-3 attached to PS were further demonstrated in a clinical trial which tested the compound efficacy in improving cognitive performance of non-demented elderly people with memory complaints. One hundred and fifty-seven participants with memory complaints were randomized to receive either Omega-3 attached to PS (providing a daily dosage of 300 mg PS and 79 mg DHA+EPA) or placebo for 15 weeks. Following the treatment period, a significant improvement in memory skills was observed in the PS enriched Omega-3 group, in comparison with the placebo group.

These results are consistent with an animal study testing the effect of long-term dietary supplementation of PS-Omega-3 on the performance in behavioral tasks and on the brain lipids in middle-aged rats [21]. Results showed that supplementation of PS-Omega-3 benefited cognitive and behavioral functions of rats. These beneficial observations were further correlated with high levels of DHA accretion in brain tissues. As shown in Figure 5, supplementation with PS-Omega-3 for three months resulted with approximately 3-fold higher DHA levels (42% over control) as compared to that of soy derived PS (soy-PS), fish oil or a mixture of the two (soy-PS& fish oil), suggesting phospholipids to be a more effective supplementation platform of DHA to brain tissues.

Figure 5: DHA enrichment in rat brain. Elderly male rats (n=100) were supplemented for three months with soy-PS, fish oil, an equal blend of comparable amounts of soy-PS and fish oil, and PS-Omega-3. Subsequently, phospholipids were extracted from brain cortices and analyzed for their fatty acid composition. Values represent the percentages of DHA levels as compared to the control group (middle chain triglycerides)
Notice the soy-PS and fish oil combo did not do as well.
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

alexsdad

Postby alexsdad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:51 pm

What about this one?

Jarrow Formulas, PhosphOmega, Omega-3 Complex

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-PhosphOmega-Omega-3-Complex-30-Softgels/41354

I happened to find it at the local Whole Foods the other day. The label says no soybeans. I asked my son's pediatrician about Vayarin when we met him last week and of course he had no idea and refused to write a prescription. I can ask my DAN but I don't have anything else to consult so holding it off at the moment.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:09 pm

That is interesting. I believe it was Dr. Klinghardt who said do not supplement anything with fish oils as you will lose efficacy of both. Note in above study PS + fish oil did worse than just fish oil alone.

Since Vayarin is not readily available where we live, looking into krill oil with phospholipids including PS. Looks like many are these such as this one from douglas labs http://www.douglaslabs.com/pdf/pds/200241.pdf are indeed enriched with soy for more PS content.

mel

Postby mel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:50 pm

dabaxter wrote:
Sukee,

The label on my Vayarin says
Contains shellfish (krill)
May contain soy and fish

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:15 am

These might work based on the krill.
These looks close, but very pricey.
http://www.iherb.com/Dr-Mercola-Krill-I ... ules/39391

http://www.pureformulas.com/neurokrill- ... ories.html

Sukee

Postby Sukee » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Sorry...Yes, mine say's the same thing mel said.

mel wrote:
dabaxter wrote:
Sukee,

The label on my Vayarin says
Contains shellfish (krill)
May contain soy and fish
Suzee~
DD-8- 50 lbs Rd: 34-25mg ALA

Tomson

Postby Tomson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:33 pm

I hadn't heard of Vayarin, but I just googled it up and I see that we're using the same ingredients. The results were amazing for us too.

Tomson

Postby Tomson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:42 pm

"He said it is the first pharmaceutical fish oil that can cross the blood brain barrier"

That is disturbing. EPA and DHA are the "active ingredients" in fish oil and all EPA and DHA can cross the blood brain barrier. It doesn't matter if you get them from eating fish, taking OTC fish oil capsules or using Vayarin. I hate it when doctors uncritically just swallow the pharma industry marketing material...

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:26 pm

I think it is the PS which is harder to get to the brain but bonding with omega 3 is what is claimed to make it better. I am just glad there are nutraceuticals going after the bigger pharma in this case.

torenada

Postby torenada » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:23 pm

I don't suppose there's a liquid form of Vayarin, is there? My son still can't take pills very well, but we'd love to try this!
Skyler's mommy-
6 yr old w/ autism
<biomedicalforautism.com>

mel

Postby mel » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:33 am

My son doesn't take pills either but I mix it in his juice. It dissolves easily but there is a little bit that doesn't dissolve that floats on top, but my son doesn't really notice it or seem bothered by it and just drinks it anyway.

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:49 am

We started it yesterday. We'll see how it goes. We had seen some academic progress with Cognitex also.

momof6

Postby momof6 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:58 pm

I had to go chase down Vayarin too after reading this post and just started DS on it on Monday. Will keep you posted too. Although, he also started Carnitor early last week and methyl folate at the end of last week; so I hope I can distinguish what new behaviors are attributed to what.

meg2010

Postby meg2010 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:05 am

dabaxter wrote:We started it yesterday. We'll see how it goes. We had seen some academic progress with Cognitex also.

debaxter/ momof6 ... how is vayarin working our for you? It's definietly on our list to try....
son 10-ASD
daughter 8-ASD

momof6

Postby momof6 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:27 am

Shame on me, but over the last couple weeks, I've started Conor on a lot of new things .... Carnitor, daily MB12 shots, L5MTH, and Vayarin. I've also increased zinc and have been more loyal with calcium/mag. I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch, but Conor has been a lot more reciprocal in conversation...both with me and with his siblings. Last night, he went to a function at my older kids' school with them and his impulse control and attention was way better than what I've seen in a while. Today, during a first time appointment at a chiropractor's office, he sat like a "normal", well-behaved kid on the floor and played semi-quietly with his NT brother.....maybe it's because they happen to have toys that he liked, but I've never seen him so calm and focused before. He was answering Santa's questions today, etc and didn't run around hyper-actively. So, again, it could be a combo of the new supplements, but I'm going to continue right on with Vayarin.

Have you investigated in your area if you're able to get it? I called all the major local retail pharmacies (Walgreens, CVS, and Walmart) and it was unavailable through them in my area.

meg2010

Postby meg2010 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:32 am

I don't know if I can get it here yet, its on my radar but we have few things to do before adding something new. My daughters anxiety has increased recently alsong with nightmares and I cannot figure out why. I am looking at all of her B vitamins, I have a feeling we are missing something there. I need to figure that out before I start something new. We also have a DAN visit schedule for mid Jan. and Vayarin is on my list of questions. Its really for my son, needs help with focus, comprehension, staying on task and we need to reduce noise making/imitating sound effects. We have been using SPEAK Smooth (fish oils) with positive results so I think my kids may respond very well to Vayarin.

I wonder if anyone in FL, Orlando was able to get it.
son 10-ASD
daughter 8-ASD

momof6

Postby momof6 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:49 am

It should be availabe in Florida, because I think they launched it in the south. I'm in Illinois. If you can't get it down there, just call vayapharma's US headquarters to get set up on their direct shipment program: 864-200-2710 (you just need a doctor's script). I called Vayapharma on a Wednesday, the DAN filled out the 1-page form & faxed it back to them, and I had the medication not only a week later delivered to my door.

meg2010

Postby meg2010 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:10 pm

momof6 wrote:It should be availabe in Florida, because I think they launched it in the south. I'm in Illinois. If you can't get it down there, just call vayapharma's US headquarters to get set up on their direct shipment program: 864-200-2710 (you just need a doctor's script). I called Vayapharma on a Wednesday, the DAN filled out the 1-page form & faxed it back to them, and I had the medication not only a week later delivered to my door.

Great! Thanks for the info!
son 10-ASD
daughter 8-ASD

jennifha

Postby jennifha » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:03 pm

I have had my 7 year old on Omega 3 (Nordic natural high dose) and phosphatidylserine (100 mg) for 5 weeks. I didn't see much the first month (I'm sure that he needed to get his omega 3 levels up first) but the last week has been amazing. Calmer, improved mood, and improved cognition (listening better, pointing, more language use, and counting).

Just wanted to share. This if for my child that is majorly a tough nut. I'm really hoping that this is not just one of those natural ups, but is actually related to these supplements. I am planning on trying an increase after the first of the year for the phos.

Has anyone figured out what would actually be different about the prescription vs otc supplements?
"'Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.'"

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”