Anyone else using Vayarin? It's been amazing

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

JeniB

Re: Anyone else using Vayarin? It's been amazing

Postby JeniB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:14 pm

we just got back from a teacher conference. Our son is doing much better. Preforming on grade level. The teachers are noticing much more focus and self control even with a crazy week with Christmas activities he did very well. His handwriting and reading has really improved.
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

jennifha

Postby jennifha » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:23 pm

are you doing Varyarin or the supplements separately?

Great to hear that he is doing so well!
"'Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.'"

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Vayarian is what we are using.
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

Sukee

Postby Sukee » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:36 am

So great to hear others are seeing positive results also. We are still on it and doing great. We will be starting back to school after break and this in the past wasn't easy to get back on the school demands. I'm praying she will pick right back up where she left off.

I did want to share that this was the first Christmas holiday party that I left crying from happiness instead of devestation. In the past, she would of already started a regression period with heightened sensory issues and having a cold or something. I would sit right by her chair instead of standing around talking like the other parents. I would be a ball of stress ready to try to calm her down or help her participate not melt down or draw attention to herself. I would be in tears when I left and reality would slap me in the face when I thought she was doing okay in school behavior wise.

Well, this year we have had no regression periods! Praise God!!!! She is in a class with most all typical kids. I know one child in there with ADD and I think a couple more that have IEP's. I still didn't spend a ton of time standing around talking with the other parents because I was just watching her in amazement and taking it all in. There was never one time that she stood out, and I promise I am her worse critic! My friend always thinks I over Hanalyze her. All of her behaviors and interactions were right on! Thinking about it still brings tears to my eyes because I wasn't always sure we would get to this point. Her report card was not as good as the first one, but the demands are getting harder. She is still doing phenomenal, and I couldn't be more proud of her. I'm just praying that we keep on an upward motion and the Vayarin along with her other things are going to continue to help her in that direction.
The only other things she takes now are:
Allegra every AM
Vitamin C
Cal/mag supplement
B-complex vitamin
Biotin
Optizinc
GI-revive
(I cap of each in the morning after breakfast)

She takes an Enzymedica enzyme with every meal.

I need to add back in Transfer Factor during the flu season and I need to be more diligent to give her her Vit D3 and Vit E every day.

She does Bioray Liverlife before bed and 2 culturelle and 2 klairebiotic detox probiotics.

I can't wait to continue to hear more good news for more of our sweet babies!
Suzee~
DD-8- 50 lbs Rd: 34-25mg ALA

mel

Postby mel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Dylan is still doing well on Vayarin but interestingly the little bumps on his upper arms have gone. Dylan is 10 and i've been at this biomed thing for 8 years and this is the first time the bumps have completely gone. I've been giving him EFA's for the last eight years but they never seemed to help. So I'm not sure why Vayarin is working for him but seems to be doing the trick :D I know other parents have seen great things with regular EFA's but they didn't seem to work for Dylan.

janasmom

Postby janasmom » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:13 am

Is Vayarin available in California yet? None of the local pharmacies seem to carry it as of Nov 2012. Do any online pharmacies carry it?

mel

Postby mel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:38 pm

I don't know if it's available in CA but I bought mine from CVS in NY and they didn't carry it either but they just ordered it and I got it the next day.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:49 pm

mel wrote:I don't know if it's available in CA but I bought mine from CVS in NY and they didn't carry it either but they just ordered it and I got it the next day.

Did you need prescription for it? I am assuming so.

mel

Postby mel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:22 am

yes you need a prescription

txmomx4

Postby txmomx4 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 pm

I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

3 of our boys have Asperger's Syndrome, 2 have ADD, one has ADHD, all have sensory issues (this is just background)

Our 8yo DS is our biggest challenge. He has been on and off all sorts of meds to help with behavior and focus since he was 4. (has taken Vyvanse, Focalin, and Focalin XR) We have also tried almost every natural treatment available and spent THOUSANDS doing so. (We also completely changed our diets...added missing supplements, etc.)

We always saw improvements with high doses of EPA in combo with DMAE, but it was never *enough* to get him off prescription meds. Our neuro was NOT supportive of natural means...a pharma doc...but *allowed* us to try whatever supplements we like. Then the studies started coming out about the Vayarin. He kept trying to get DS to take it, but since he can't swallow pills, it was a no go. After a very SCARY med induced psychotic episode, we took DS off ALL meds...and started Vayarin. (we cut apart, hide in yogurt) it was NOT a quick fix, but saw improvents in first 2 weeks. Somewhat calmer. Doc said takes 2 months to build up in system, and to stay on it. (if you miss more than a week of pills after that initial build up, you drastically lose effect...almost like starting over) For the first time in YEARS we have our son back! It's nothing short of a miracle! He is still having trouble with focus, and I asked if increasing the dose would help. Doc said that initial studies were actually done using 4 caps, not 2, and that it just depends on the kid how much they need (something to do with the way the body metabolizes it). We've only been on the increased dose for a week, and it's like a night and day difference! Yes, this is VERY costly. But we have tried the PS from soy and it is NOT the same thing, nor does it work the same way. The way the doc explained it was that the Omegas and PS are bound together in the exact formulation found in the myelin of the brain. Therefore no changes need to be made to cross the blood/brain barrier and it goes into the brain at much higher concentrations. Much higher doeses of omega 3's are needed when not in this formulation b/c it must be changed to work with the myelin. I have not read the studies, but do understand the implications of what he is saying. I have seen the difference in my child and will be sticking with this therapy. We finally have our sweet boy again! His sensory tics have dramatically improved, moods are more even, able to focus/write (a MIRACLE), and too much more to explain! (I'm not constantly having to give deep pressure/muscle work for hours a day!!!)

I'm just so thankful that I wanted to share our story with others. If it hasn't worked enough on a lower dose, try increasing it. It may just be what you need.

Blessings,

Lisa

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Looks great. I'm so gonna try to get this for my son. Thanks Sukee!
Tami

borsooq

Postby borsooq » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Guys, how much it costs?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:07 pm

For those who are looking for much cheaper non-prescription alternatives to Vayarin, check out BrainBoost from Jarrow Formulas ($17 for 60 caps) and SharpThought from Country Life ($17 for 30 caps). Both contain Sharp-PS Gold, which is described as "conjugated complex of Phosphatidylserine (PS) and DHA from omega-3". From a more detail description here (http://healthforbrains.com/science/phosphatidylserine-omega3-conjugate), it appears that Sharp-PS Gold is the same thing as Vayarin.

SharpThought seems more expensive than BrainBoost, but upon close examination its 1 cap contains standardized at 45% PS equal to 100 mg and 8% DHA equal to 17 mg. BrainBoost contains the same ammount of Sharp-PS Gold but in 2 caps (it also has Vinpocetine and ChocoMind® Cocoa Extract). Vayarin contains in 2 caps
Phosphatidylserine (PS): 150 mg
Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA): 43 mg
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA): 17 mg

Again, both Sharp-PS Gold and Vayarin are bonded PS and Omega (not just a mixture). The only difference is that Sharp-PS Gold doesn't have bonded EPA, which doesn't have effect on memory or concentration from what I've read.

georgiam

Postby georgiam » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:28 pm

really want to give this to my 3.5 yr old who weighs 32 lbs. is the dosage the same, ie start with 2 tabs and increase to 4?

dad75

Postby dad75 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:32 am

this sounds very interesting, i am going to try for prescription

tnx
DD 5.5 yrs ASD Limited Verbal

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:00 am

Where do you get Vayarin? I tried all pharmacies here in SoCal and all told me that their warehouses are out of stock or back order.

fontanalucy

Postby fontanalucy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:35 pm

I ordered Vayarin from drugsdepot.com and they delivered within a week. I tried Walgreens previously but they couldn't tell me how long I would have to wait to get my prescription.
Lucia
Keira/7
AC Chelation DMSA 25 mg
Round #52

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:51 am

We've been on Vayarin. We upped to 2caps 2X/day. We ran out this week and can't tell much of a difference. We'll see what happens when we restart it.
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:01 pm

It seems that there was a wave of interest to Vayarin, but now nobody talks about it. Any updates from people who use Vayarin? Are you still using it? Is it helping?

amndzon

Postby amndzon » Sun May 05, 2013 1:50 pm

I started my daughter on Vayarin about three weeks back. We ended it this trial four days ago. Epic failure with this medicine. My daughter reacted very badly to it, began banging her head (first for this behavior), became extremely disruptive in class, was sent to the principal, and nearly was booted form her afterschool child care. At home things were just as rough as well.

Part of an email from her teacher on wednesday- "Over the last week, maybe a little longer, she has had difficulty following directions. She basically refuses to do what I am asking her (at least that is the way I am perceiving her behavior). I believe she can hear me but would prefer to continue doing what she wants to do. When asked and reminded several times to follow a direction, the response she provides me is often very disrespectful. She is also having difficulty with her peers. She is saying mean things to them that seem unprovoked."

Our DAN Dr. was didn't want us to try this med, but I persisted after hearing so much good about it. He was right, I was wrong. She's off it now and seems to be getting back to her usual quirky self. Clonidine was also a failure, the only thing that has really helped medicine-wise has been low dose naltrexone.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”