Bumetanide in the treatment of autism in children

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Winnie

Bumetanide in the treatment of autism in children

Postby Winnie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Of interest:

Citation: Translational Psychiatry (2012) 2, e202; doi:10.1038/tp.2012.124
Published online 11 December 2012

A randomised controlled trial of bumetanide in the treatment of autism in children

E Lemonnier1,2, C Degrez1, M Phelep1, R Tyzio3, F Josse1, M Grandgeorge1,2, N Hadjikhani4,5 and Y Ben-Ari3

Abstract

Gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA)-mediated synapses and the oscillations they orchestrate are altered in autism. GABA-acting benzodiazepines exert in some patients with autism paradoxical effects, raising the possibility that like in epilepsies, GABA excites neurons because of elevated intracellular concentrations of chloride. Following a successful pilot study,1 we have now performed a double-blind clinical trial using the diuretic, chloride-importer antagonist bumetanide that reduces intracellular chloride reinforcing GABAergic inhibition. Sixty children with autism or Asperger syndrome (3–11 years old) received for 3 months placebo or bumetanide (1 mg daily), followed by 1-month wash out. Determination of the severity of autism was made with video films at day 0 (D0) and D90 by blind, independent evaluators. Bumetanide reduced significantly the Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS) (D90−D0; P<0.004 treated vs placebo), Clinical Global Impressions (P<0.017 treated vs placebo) and Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule values when the most severe cases (CARS values above the mean±s.d.; n=9) were removed (Wilcoxon test: P-value=0.031; Student’s t-test: P-value=0.017). Side effects were restricted to an occasional mild hypokalaemia (3.0–3.5 mM l−1 K+) that was treated with supplemental potassium. In a companion study, chronic bumetanide treatment significantly improved accuracy in facial emotional labelling, and increased brain activation in areas involved in social and emotional perception (Hadjikhani et al., submitted). Therefore, bumetanide is a promising novel therapeutic agent to treat autism. Larger trials are warranted to better determine the population best suited for this treatment.

Full text continues: http://www.nature.com/tp/journal/v2/n12/full/tp2012124a.html
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

HappyDaysAhead

Re: Bumetanide in the treatment of autism in children

Postby HappyDaysAhead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Is this a prescription drug, Winnie ?

AnxiousDad

Postby AnxiousDad » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 pm

It is still under a drug trial. I am sure it will be a prescription once it has been approved by the FDA.

BTDT

Postby BTDT » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:21 pm

It is already a prescription drug, the trade name is Bumex, it is a diuretic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumetanide

HappyDaysAhead

Postby HappyDaysAhead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:22 pm

It has been discontinued, as far as I can tell. Does anyone how to get it ?

BTDT

Postby BTDT » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:30 am

Bumetanide (generic) has not been discontinued. This drug has significant side effects, it would not be appropriate to use for children with autism until further research is done.

respect

Postby respect » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:56 am

Here is Jeff Bradstreet's presentation on Youtube regarding it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ5wog0oig0

Diuretics and children? Uh, no thanks.

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:10 am

GABA excites neurons because of elevated intracellular concentrations of chloride. Following a successful pilot study,1 we have now performed a double-blind clinical trial using the diuretic, chloride-importer antagonist bumetanide that reduces intracellular chloride reinforcing GABAergic inhibition.

this is the part I find interesting. Chloride inside the cell can cause GABA to excite neurons.
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

HappyDaysAhead

Postby HappyDaysAhead » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:42 pm

respect wrote:Here is Jeff Bradstreet's presentation on Youtube regarding it.

Yep... I have enough problems, already, so I will pass. Until a safer version appears in the market.

Kari

Postby Kari » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:46 pm

So does that mean they have too much chloride? Just wondering because my son uses salt (sodium chloride) heavily. It's sea salt, but still... Instead of just focusing on the drug, I wonder why does it work?

HappyDaysAhead

Postby HappyDaysAhead » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Kari wrote:So does that mean they have too much chloride?

That is how I interpreted it. So, does this mean that ANY product, currently known to reduce intra-cellular chloride levels, would serve the same purpose and have the same effect as the Bumetanide ?

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:27 am

HappyDaysAhead wrote:
respect wrote:Here is Jeff Bradstreet's presentation on Youtube regarding it.

Yep... I have enough problems, already, so I will pass. Until a safer version appears in the market.

I didn't see any mention of Bumetanide in that video. What did I miss?

I'm not promoting this drug for treatment of autism -- but I thought the outcome measures/methods used in the study were superior to those often used, and the results were still significant.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

luis

Postby luis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:43 am

Bump.
This is a very important subject into autism biological treatments.
Frustrating that there is so few posts about it here.
Currently there have been an update in the protocol. The dosage has been increased. I know that for my son (120 kg) the recommended dosage now is 2 mg, twice a day.
Very important to watch potassium level, since Bumetanide depletes it.

Anyone using Bumetanide ?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:34 am

My son has been on it for 2 months at 0.5mg 2x/day. He is 25kg. I am not sure if it is doing amything, perhaps a slight increase in socialization. He dosen't even pee more often than before since it is a diuretic drug. The dose may be too low but it was prescribed by a DAN doctor who is supposed to know it. The same doctor advised to take R-Baclofen instead, but I insisted on Bumetanide because of some parents testimonies.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”