Magnetic Resonance Therapy -- anyone tried this?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

MaxMom

Magnetic Resonance Therapy -- anyone tried this?

Postby MaxMom » Wed May 08, 2013 2:42 am

Hi,

I am looking into a new therapy called Magnetic Resonance Therapy for Autism. This is a new therapy treatment done in The Brain Treatment Center (BTC) in Newport California. I normally would look pass procedures such as this but this time it is recommended to us by Dr. Bradstreet. I've done some reasearch on the treatment but still not able to understand exactly how it works.

Has anyone heard of the Brain Treatment Center and this therapy? Here is a link to Dr. Bradstreet's post: http://drbradstreet.org/

Maxmom

kulkulkan

Re: Magnetic Resonance Therapy -- anyone tried this?

Postby kulkulkan » Thu May 09, 2013 12:48 pm

MaxMom wrote:Hi,

I am looking into a new therapy called Magnetic Resonance Therapy for Autism. This is a new therapy treatment done in The Brain Treatment Center (BTC) in Newport California. I normally would look pass procedures such as this but this time it is recommended to us by Dr. Bradstreet. I've done some reasearch on the treatment but still not able to understand exactly how it works.

Has anyone heard of the Brain Treatment Center and this therapy? Here is a link to Dr. Bradstreet's post: http://drbradstreet.org/

Maxmom

At first, I thought it was transcranial magnetic stimulation which has been studied a little (showing efficacy with respect to depression, and couple of groups were researching use in autism), but this seems very different. No studies on it according to wiki and certainly none with respect autism. The youtube marketing videos look very polished / professionally done, so I think it is safe to assume it would be expensive. Do let us know what you find out about it, or do decide to try it.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:14 pm

I wouldn't do it. The fact the Dr. Bradstreet associated himself with these quacks only reduces his reputation. I studied brain at some point in my carrier. Magnetic resonance has nothing to do with communication between neurons or their synchronous operation. The statement "many children are seeing remarkable and rapid gains in language and cognition" is hanging there without any reference to studies, except for just one case mentioned in that news announcement. He then mentions that the same child "had been treated with GcMAF and with that it appears the brain was primed to rapidly respond" (LOL) Once, I've read an interesting story of an old man, who accidentally hit his head on the lamp post and his vision became 20-20 after decades of wearing glasses. One could make a quick conclusion that hitting a head on the lamp post is a cure for vision problems and associate himself with newly created centers of the new "therapy".

MaxMom

Postby MaxMom » Fri May 10, 2013 1:29 am

Thank you for your comments kulkulkan and FatherOf2. My husband also said the same thing after he studied the Brain Treatment Center. I am somewhat surprised that Dr. Bradstreet recommended this. He thinks that my son is a good candidate because we have been doing GcMaf for a few months.

Maxmom

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:21 am

MaxMom wrote:Thank you for your comments kulkulkan and FatherOf2. My husband also said the same thing after he studied the Brain Treatment Center. I am somewhat surprised that Dr. Bradstreet recommended this. He thinks that my son is a good candidate because we have been doing GcMaf for a few months.
Maxmom

Did GcMAF help? We are thinking of using iit too.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Fri May 10, 2013 11:04 am

FatherOf2 wrote:I wouldn't do it. The fact the Dr. Bradstreet associated himself with these quacks only reduces his reputation.

Of potential interest -- according to the parents of some of his patients -- Jeff Bradstreet has a history of some very unusual associations/recommendations. Probably long before those of you on this thread were involved with the online autism community, it was circulated that he recommended exorcism to a number of his patients.

You can google Jeff Bradstreet, exorcism, and autism. Many parents and professionals have considered Bradstreet sorta *sketch* for quite some time.

Here is a screenshot of an exchange between Holly Bortfield and some other parents on the ABMD yahoo group (other relevant ABMD post numbers posted by critics can be found via google):

I can't vouch for the accuracy of Holly Bortfield's information about Bradstreet one way or another -- parents can form their own opinions based on the credibility they afford the source. Holly Bortfield is a long time biomed mom active in TACA and other autism advocacy, and is widely known in the autism internet community. She is currently listed on the AutismOne site, where she could probably be contacted, in addition to TACA, for confirmation, if necessary.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Fri May 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Hearsay about his beliefs is irrelevant. I think it is silly to believe in god as well and not very scientific at all but that doesn't mean I expect my doctor to subscribe to same views.

There is quite a bit of active and promising research on transcranial magnetic stimulation on neuro disorders including autism.   I just don't think it is ready for prime time yet, which is why I would be reluctant to try any proprietary black box solution unless it was a free clinical trial. Who knows it might very well work as claimed.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Fri May 10, 2013 4:53 pm

kulkulkan wrote: Hearsay about his beliefs is irrelevant. I think it is silly to believe in god as well and not very scientific at all but that doesn't mean I expect my doctor to subscribe to same views.

I don't expect or require that my doctor share my same religious views, but if he is recommends that my child with autism be exorcised (a religious practice that involves purging the child of demons) to treat his autism, then that is most certainly relevant to me.

Children with autism have been killed during exorcisms, btw.

Parents are free to form their own opinion, which is why I linked and provided info to pursue further info/confirmation. It may not matter to you, but it might matter to some parents when selecting their child's health care provider or considering the provider's opinions/recommendations/credibility.
Winnie

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Fri May 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Whether it is praying to god (which can entail animal sacrifices as well in some cultures) or exorcism or do xyz ritual, I would view all of this as nonsense. And if that is anyone's professional advice as a medical doctor, then of course I wouldn't care for it or such a professional. If not, then I could care less if he likes to wear pink panties or whatever.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Fri May 10, 2013 9:46 pm

kulkulkan wrote:Whether it is praying to god (which can entail animal sacrifices as well in some cultures) or exorcism or do xyz ritual, I would view all of this as nonsense. And if that is anyone's professional advice as a medical doctor, then of course I wouldn't care for it or such a professional. If not, then I could care less if he likes to wear pink panties or whatever.

lol, I wish I had photoshop. ;)

I don't think any children with autism have been harmed or killed by the panty preferences of their health care provider.
Winnie

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Sat May 11, 2013 8:01 am

Winnie wrote:Children with autism have been killed during exorcisms, btw.

I was looking at your link. That's down right sad. While the Bible certainly has examples of demon possession and "exorcism", there's no suggestion that you need some guy to come over and sit on your child's chest and whisper in their ear. There are so many gullible people out there that claim to be Christians, yet they don't know what God's word says for themselves and are easily led astray. All you have to do is turn on your TV to see an example.
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

Wilbertdiaz

Postby Wilbertdiaz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:11 am

We start the MRT treatment today as part of the study which I believe is being funded in part by the Federal Government. During the first 5 weeks of the treatment kids could be on a placebo trial. Then there is a 5 week follow up where all kids will get treatment (placebo and kids not in the placebo trial).

At the end of the 10 weeks the system reveals if the kid was part of the placebo, if that's the case they will get an additional 5 weeks of treatment, everybody gets 10 weeks regardless.

We will be doing it in Dr. Bradstreet office but noticed that they have people from the BTC in CA training their personnel, also the head of research doesn't work for Dr. Bradstreet. We had our initial EEG yesterday and we are positive about this treatment.

Our son is. 7 and he is mild on the Autism Spectrum with challenges with speech and social interactions. We have done almost everything out there to help him. Diet, ABA. HBOT, listening programs, NAET, Supplements (no chelation). If interested I can post progress reports here during the treatment.

Wilberto Diaz

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Would love to hear about your experience on MRT. Good luck.

MaxMom

Postby MaxMom » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Good luck with the treatment. I really hope it works out. For us, dropping everything and go staying in sourthern California for 6 weeks is just too of a change. If this actually turns out to be a good treatment option, we will certainly give it a try.

Maxmom

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Jeff Bradstreet has a financial interest in the Brain Treatment Center -- he is part of it:

http://braintreatmentcenter.asia/english/Home_Staff.php

^Dr. Bradstreet believes in MRT therapy. He is licensed in California, Georgia, Florida, and Arizona, and feels privileged to join the BTC team.

I don't really have a problem with someone "believing" in a therapy -- but I do when that someone profits from this "branded" ("unique to BTC") VERY expensive therapy and recommends it on the basis of slick marketing and testimonials -- without some legitimate evidence of efficacy.

According to this parent trying to raise funds on the net it costs $12,000:
http://hopeforautism.net/about-mrt-brain-treatment/
Winnie

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:56 pm

If I considered it, I would certainly want to try it for free in the clinical trial (2 locations available -- the BTC in Newport and the BTC in Atlanta) -- details:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01985308

The sponsor for the trial is the Newport Brain Research Laboratory, which has the same address as the Brain Treatment Center in Newport.

Bradstreet is listed as the "Principal Investigator" (beneath both locations that are listed).

Apparently this company plans to open quite a few more franchises soon -- nationally and internationally:
http://www.braintreatmentcenter.com/
Winnie

Leo

Postby Leo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:40 pm

I agree that Bradstreeet is in money making business. We see him for GCMAF and we feel it is helping. He is into business now. One comment I have is that he one of the smartest and sharpest person I have seen.
iHerbs Referral Code - ZHK716
$5 off order < $40,$10 off on orde > $40

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Would love to see the results of the randomized double blind clinical trial. Doubt Bradstreet would do it if he didn't believe it helps. If it works, I don't have an issue if Bradstreet makes $ of it. A double blind rTMS trial in Australia did show efficacy so I do believe it is promising intervention.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:32 am

kulkulkan wrote:Would love to see the results of the randomized double blind clinical trial. Doubt Bradstreet would do it if he didn't believe it helps.

I'm not sure how you determine potential efficacy based on what you believe about what Bradstreet believes (especially given our exchange about Bradstreet's beliefs up thread :wink: ), but Bradstreet has believed in and marketed a great many things over the years that were profitable though not efficacious. Take the Autism Omnibus hearings, for instance, and the evidence that was examined regarding his diagnosis and treatment of Colton Snyder.

The handy thing about the autism treatment industry is that there is always a fresh crop of newly-diagnosed customers who are probably unaware of the histories of the past new (!) breakthrough (!) believed-in (!) treatments, as well as the histories of those doing the marketing and money-making on these treatments.

kulkulkan wrote:If it works, I don't have an issue if Bradstreet makes $ of it.

Wouldn't that depend on the definition of "works" (@ $12,000)? I see a few potential problems (flags):

1. The only outcome measure listed for the upcoming trial is the CARS.

2. The Brain Treatment Center has branded (and trademarked) this therapy as "unique" to them alone. This seemingly renders it unavailable to independent replication and shields it from independent study.

3. It is odd that national and international expansion is already fully in the works, and slick marketing already in place, prior to any convincing evidence that their "unique" therapy is even beneficial, or to what degree (if any) it is beneficial. This is a marketing approach, not how legit research regarding a treatment is approached.

4. Due to ^those reasons, I fully expect that some positive outcome will be reported from the BTC's upcoming clinical trial. That something about it "works" -- will be interesting to see how these results are reported based on the CARS (and how the sham is designed and evaluated).

kulkulkan wrote: A double blind rTMS trial in Australia did show efficacy so I do believe it is promising intervention.

I agree that rTMS shows promise -- but this is not the special "unique-only-to-them" therapy Bradstreet and the Brain Treatment Centers are marketing. And since TMS is not "trademarked" and therefore open to independent study, I would have a lot more confidence in the integrity of the research -- and in labs like the Berenson-Allen Center for Noninvasive Brain Stimulation, associated with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, conducting this research:

http://www.tmslab.org/
Winnie

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:10 am

Wilbertdiaz wrote:Our son is. 7 and he is mild on the Autism Spectrum with challenges with speech and social interactions. We have done almost everything out there to help him. Diet, ABA. HBOT, listening programs, NAET, Supplements (no chelation). If interested I can post progress reports here during the treatment.

Wilberto Diaz

Wilberto -- regardless of my questions/skepticism about Bradstreet and the the Brain Treatment Centers -- wishing your son all the best. And please do post progress reports -- I'm sure many parents are interested.
Winnie

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”