Tami W - NDF Plus and seizures

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Sammy's mom

Tami W - NDF Plus and seizures

Postby Sammy's mom » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:11 pm

Help!
I just started giving my son NDF Plus on Nov.26. One drop in the morning and one drop in the afternoon. This morning he had a seizure in the shower, it was after his drop. He does have a history of seizures, but we haven't had one since April! He didn't seem to have any aggravations from the NDF that I coulld notice, if I would that quickly?

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:43 pm

Sammy,
Gavin was having those "head tilted back, eyes in the back of his head for a few seconds" seizures before we started chelation with oral DMSA when he was 2. They disappeared during the chelation. He had them again as we started the TD DMPS and then just recently during his 3 days "ON" schedule of TD DMPS. IT is very scary to watch, I know. I tried upping the magnesium, giving more taurine, selenium and vitamin C and EFA's. I do think all that stuff helped but it didn't really go away until our next round of chelation. He also had this on MB12 when we first started and again when we upped the dose to every other day. I do not think, by any means, that the MB12 caused the seizures. I do think that his body may have been able to excrete more and that could have caused this to happen.

I am definitely not a doctor and do think all seizures are serious and scary. I do think it could possibly be a sign of aggravation which would mean the dose is too high if this started immediately following the dose and nothing else had changed in his supplement regime. I haven't heard any parents (if memory serves) reporting this directly from the NDF PLUS. I have read that mercury/heavy metal toxicity can/does cause seizures. So when you start removing them from the body, it would make sense that the seizures could return until the metals have been excreted. I would ask your doctor, of course, for anything you can do. I would also consider giving activated charcoal each time you increased the dose to see if this might help avoid this in the future.

What kind of seizures does he have? What happens during them?
Tami

Sammy's mom

Tami W

Postby Sammy's mom » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 pm

Sammy has petit mal seizures;they tend to last no longer than 2 minutes. Although it seems like a lifetime. They exhaust him and he usually goes to sleep for an hour or so and then sometimes throws up. He never seems to have any lingering aftereffects that I can notice. He's been having seizures since 2001 about 13 of them. The truth is my neurologist doesn't beleive in biomedical treatments so I try to keep him in the dark, I know it's crazy but there is not a lot of choice in my area.

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:51 pm

Sammy's mom,
Gavin's are absent mal seizures. I know the petit mal are supposed to be more serious. How scary that must be for you! :( IT's so sad many of us feel that we have to hide things from regular docs to give our kids the best chance at recovery. Is he taking anything like taurine, magnesium, antiseizure meds? What other things is he on?
Tami

Sammy's mom

Tami W

Postby Sammy's mom » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:00 pm

Sammy's on Trileptal for his seizures; Risperdal for his behaviors . We are new to biomeds and started with Dr.N in June with Methyl B12 shots, We are on Dr.N's vitamin/minerals so that is theonly Taurine that he is on and I just started with NDF Plus.

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:04 am

Sammy's mom,
Here is what Dr Ray replied about your question. You can go to www.healthydetox.org and find the pH management for heavy metal detox, or email me and I will send it to you. wtwilken@iowatelecom.net

Dear Sammy’s Mom,

We do not have either clinical or in vitro studies in reference to which medications NDF and NDF Plus will bind to or render less active. We do have experience with one patient on high blood pressure meds whose doctor started him on a very high dose of NDF, which diminished the effect of the medication. We also know that NDF binds to many toxic chemicals. We have seen it relieve the symptoms of antibiotic therapy as it binds to the mycotoxins many antibiotics are made with.

One 11 yr. old child with absence disorder and Grand Mal took NDF and NDF Plus at 26 drops per dose while on Lamictal and later depakote and it did not interfere with the medication.

Theoretically, as the metals exit the body the seizure activity should diminish and the need for the medication as well. However, if the seizure activity is being triggered by a lesion in the brain (which is ischemic, no blood flow) this will not be the case unless one of two steps are taken. 1. First clear the extracellular spaces with NDF, then begin HBOT while giving NDF Plus at the beginning of each session. 2. First clear the extracellular spaces with NDF and then use the NDF Plus Liposome which may make the HBOT unnecessary. The NDF Plus Liposome is currently only available by special order, and physician supervision is recommended. The Liposome can only be used after a 3 month course of NDF or NDF Plus has been completed if there is evidence (EEG) of a lesion.

It is difficult to believe that one drop of NDF Plus could be the sole trigger for a seizure. One drop is not enough to bind the active ingredient in a dose of drugs; or to release enough metals to cause a brain disturbance. If it were a half a bottle with no ramping up period, I would be suspicious for sure. Many children with seizure disorder on drugs have used NDF Plus without this consequence. It could be that a seizure was about to erupt at that moment anyway. Or not, it’s very difficult to know for sure with the limited information I have about your case.

I would 1. Make sure the anti seizure meds are at the correct dosage. 2. Make sure the child does not have other intermittent seizure triggers going on that the meds cannot compensate for (undetected food allergies, infections – especially sinus and dental, parasites, magnesium deficiency, emotional troubles, family stress, etc.). 3. Make sure the child is not allergic to any of the ingredients in NDF Plus (rub a drop into the elbow crease and see if it turns red, or if the pulse rate increases). 4. Get a copy of the ‘pH management of metal detox’ and check first urine pH. If too alkaline, start with LiverLife before using NDF or NDF Plus. All explained in the paper. 5. Mix one drop of NDF Plus in 8 ounces of water and start with a few drops of the mixture, ramping up slowly. Also be aware of electromagnetic radiation exposure, as metal toxic people are much more sensitive to it than others.

One rule of thumb that can be easily overlooked with metal detox: metal toxicity is generally a chronic problem, therefore, if there is an acute problem going on, that problem must be resolved before the body will deal with a chronic one. The body does not respond well to the reverse order.

Hang in there. Each person is different, and you have to discover how to ‘peel the onion’ for them. Unfortunately, some of it has to be trial and error. The more you know about it, the more you can minimize the errors. Take a look at the “Happy Patient Checklist” for some tips.

Best of Luck,
Tim Ray
Tami

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”