Vit. B1 (thiamin) and Hydrochloric Acid Deficiency

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Josie

Vit. B1 (thiamin) and Hydrochloric Acid Deficiency

Postby Josie » Thu May 29, 2014 9:38 pm

Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) can help with the following:

addictions
Alcohol-related Problems

Autoimmune
Multiple Sclerosis / Risk
See the link between MS and Vitamin B1 Need.

Please also see the article about the approach that Fred Klenner, MD used with MS.

Myasthenia Gravis
To enhance acetylcholine levels take thiamine 100mg daily. Additionally, Dr Fred Klenner, MD stresses the importance of thiamin in treating myasthenia gravis and recommends its use by injection. From 30 years of experimentation he concludes that this is not a vitamin deficiency disease but one of several vitamin-dependent diseases, where the successful treatment requires dosages up to 1,000 times the minimal daily requirement that has been established for thiamin.

Digestion
Hydrochloric Acid Deficiency
Several B-vitamins are needed to support hydrochloric acid production. Thiamin (B1) may stimulate digestion by improving hydrochloric acid production and intestinal muscle tone.

Metabolic
Metabolic Diet Type
Headaches, Migraine/Tension
Large doses of vitamin B1, along with the other B vitamins, have helped many suffering from headache pain.

Hangovers
A remarkable study was reported in which a group of rats were given a dose of acetaldehyde large enough to kill 90% of them. Rats given a combination of Vitamin-C, cysteine and Vitamin-B1 had no deaths. These anti-alcohol antioxidants provided 100% protection against acetaldehyde induced death. For many years, medical interns would give themselves injections of thiamine (Vitamin B1) to cure a hangover. Take a couple of 100mg thiamine tablets an hour or so before you start drinking, or sometime during the evening, then take more before bed. It may also help to take one or two the next morning.

Nervous System
Neuritis/Neuropathy
In a study of the efficacy of vitamin B1, it was given to 133 people who had headaches, joint pain, nerve pain, or neuritis. 1-2 grams of B1 once or twice daily caused 78% of headaches to improve, 71% of spine or joint pains to improve, and 62% of patients with neuralgia reported relief. Start with lower amounts and work your way up, making sure to take all of the B vitamins during this trial. [Bibl Nutr Dieta (38):pp.110-1]

Nutrients
Vitamin B1 Requirement

Organ Health
Diabetes Type II
Study results suggest that taking a high-dose vitamin B1 supplement each day may help diabetics reduce their risk of kidney damage.

Diabetic nephropathy, or kidney disease, is a common complication of type 2 diabetes. An early indicator of kidney disease is microalbuminuria, where the kidney leaks albumin into the urine. Researchers set out to investigate whether supplementation with vitamin B1 would effect microalbuminuria.

Type 2 diabetics were given 300 milligrams of vitamin B1 (thiamine) each day for three months. Results showed that the vitamin supplement reduced the rate of albumin excretion by 41%. Furthermore, 35% of patients with microalbuminuria saw their urine albumin excretion return to normal after being treated with the vitamin. Thus, suggesting that treatment with high-dose vitamin B1 can reverse the onset of early diabetic kidney disease. [High-dose thiamine therapy for patients with type 2 diabetes and microalbuminuria: a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study. Diabetologia. Published online December 5th 2008]

Uro-Genital
Dysmenorrhea, Painful Menstruation
In a well-designed controlled trial of 556 girls with moderate to severe menstrual cramping, vitamin B1 (100mg daily by mouth) for 3 months produced amazing results. 87% were cured, 8% were almost completely relieved, while 5% were not benefited at all. [ Indian J Med Res May, 1996;103: pp.227-231]

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/treat/T157953.html

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C42513.html

luis

Re: Vit. B1 (thiamin) and Hydrochloric Acid Deficiency

Postby luis » Fri May 30, 2014 11:03 am

Very interesting !

JeniB:

Have you noticed an increase in yeast issues due to the sugars added in Source Naturals Coenzymated B1 ?

Best,
Luis

Josie

Postby Josie » Fri May 30, 2014 2:24 pm

Agree this is interesting, I am really wondering about the role acetaldehyde might have in autism. According to the above research (under the topic Hangovers) Thiamin in large doses helps to remove it from the body. This may be why some individuals with autism are having good success with the supplementation of Thiamin. You don't need to drink alcohol to feel the effects of acetaldehyde. It is everywhere. Sources of acetaldehyde include fuel combustion emissions from stationary internal combustion engines and power plants that burn fossil fuels, wood, or trash, oil and gas extraction, refineries, cement kilns, lumber and wood mills and paper mills. Acetaldehyde is also present in automobile and diesel exhaust. Also, I read that Candida/yeast in the gut causes many of the same effects as those suffered by an alcoholic. The ethanol is first converted by the body into acetaldehyde before that is itself converted into non-toxic acetic acid.

Here are some of the effects of ethanol:

• Ethanol metabolism interferes with energy metabolism; this results in fatigue and buildup of lactic acid, causing muscle aches.
• Hypoglycaemia or "low blood sugar" also results from the above.
• Nutritional deficiencies - particularly but not limited to vitamins B1 (thiamine), B6 (pyridoxine), vitamin B9 (folic acid), B12 (cobalamin ), zinc, magnesium, potassium, and molydenum.
• Anaemia due to folic acid and B12 deficiencies.
• Gastrointestinal ulcers and increased intestinal permeability (leaky gut syndrome). Ethanol is highly toxic to all GI tract cells. Leaky gut syndrome is implicated in many diseases including food allergies/intolerances, systemic allergies, autoimmune disorders, chronic fatigue syndrome etc.

Here are some of the effects of acetaldehyde (significantly more toxic than ethanol):

• Is responsible for most of the symptoms of a hangover. Causes dilation of blood vessels in the brain which result in the characteristic severe headaches.
• Attacks and forms complexes with many proteins and nucleic acid (as in DNA and RNA) disrupting their normal functions.
• Blocks secretion of proteins by the liver and causes swelling of hepatocytes (liver cells).
• Binds and inactivates glutathione - the body's main antioxidant - thus increasing oxidative stress and allowing free radicals to damage cells throughout the body. Mitochondria, the energy producing machinery within each cell, are particularly susceptible to free radical damage.
• Impairs the function of lymphocytes (an important type of white blood cell) and red blood cells (those that transport oxygen).
• Increases the release of adrenaline causes heart palpitations, anxiety etc.

The liver has to deal with this causing more problems for the individual. If acetaldehyde is causing many of the problems in autistic individuals then extra thiamin might be needed. It should probably be given in larger amounts than what a normal diet provides. Vitamin-C and cysteine would be helpful also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetaldehyde
Last edited by Josie on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

hmom

Postby hmom » Fri May 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi Luis,
I'm not Josie, so I hope you'll all excuse my butting in here--- (Josie's already given the details in another thread- but I'll reiterate it here and hope she doesn't mind)

Josie isn't using the Source Naturals Coenzymated B1 (JeniB is the one using that one for some time now).
Josie's using Life Brand B1 (in thiamin mononitrate form) 100 mg tablet- 1 tab/day divided doses -crushed in meals.
She is also giving some probiotics and a B Complex.

Thiamin mononitrate is the fat soluble form so you have to watch out for building up too much (liver).
Probably fine to do for a couple of weeks and then reassess.

luis wrote:Very interesting !
JeniB:

Have you noticed an increase in yeast issues due to the sugars added in Source Naturals Coenzymated B1 ?

Best,
Luis

luis

Postby luis » Fri May 30, 2014 3:41 pm

Hmom,

Thank you for your reply ! Actually, I'm asking to JeniB, because I know that she's the one using Source Naturals.
But it was good to know what Josie is using !

Best,
Luis

Josie

Postby Josie » Fri May 30, 2014 4:00 pm

luis wrote:Hmom,

Thank you for your reply ! Actually, I'm asking to JeniB, because I know that she's the one using Source Naturals.
But it was good to know what Josie is using !

Best,
Luis

I recently switched brands. My son has been using Benfotamine for the last 5 days and I am getting good results with it also. He is much calmer and happier, and more willing to try new things like going to a noisy mall etc. I have ordered some of the Source Natural thiamin that Jeni uses to try it also but it has not arrived yet. I give one Benfotiamine capsule (I break it open) per day mixed in food in small amounts as it tastes really bad.

hmom

Postby hmom » Fri May 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Yeah Luis,

I wasn't sure if you were confusing the two posters or not :lol: Sorry

I've sorta asked Jeni a similar question to yours-- not referring to the sugars in the supp, but about whether the supp itself is feeding yeast or other bugs (or is changing liver/immune function or whatever other unintended side effect occurs when giving nutrients in isolation). She does have some supps in place for dysbiosis, I'm guessing she sees enough gains to override any negatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Josie
Thanks for the update. That's great!
I actually now have Benfo, Source Naturals, thiamin HCL, and thiamin mononitrate on-hand :P
It all started last year when I finally began giving my kids some old nutritional yeast (for B vitamins) I had several containers for years - the kids were doing great on it. (It had high thiamin B1 and high B2 Riboflavin and lower of all the other Bs but still above RDA, also an array of amino acids, Beta Glucans). Then I ran out. The company has since changed their formula. :x
Oh, forgot - that's when I stumbled upon Jeni's posts here.
I tried the thiamine HCL but it wasn't the same, so I have to sort it out.

luis

Postby luis » Sat May 31, 2014 7:08 am

Josie wrote:I recently switched brands. My son has been using Benfotamine for the last 5 days and I am getting good results with it also. He is much calmer and happier, and more willing to try new things like going to a noisy mall etc. I have ordered some of the Source Natural thiamin that Jeni uses to try it also but it has not arrived yet. I give one Benfotiamine capsule (I break it open) per day mixed in food in small amounts as it tastes really bad.

Indeed. Tastes horribly and is very acidic (pH = 5). But I think that they really need it.

To Hmom: OK ! :D

louiseshort

Postby louiseshort » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:24 am

Thank You1

AspieGenes

Postby AspieGenes » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:44 pm

Josie wrote:Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) can help with the following:

That was a load of quackery.

Human genetic pathways are too complex to say that one cofactor will help with any disease unless you are certain you are deficient in that cofactor.

The internet is full of (expletive removed). Stick to Pubmed and Research Papers.

AspieGenes

Postby AspieGenes » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:00 pm

Josie wrote:Agree this is interesting, I am really wondering about the role acetaldehyde might have in autism. According to the above research (under the topic Hangovers) Thiamin in large doses helps to remove it from the body.

Increasing the amount of NAD+ and CoA will help get rid of acetaldehyde.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetaldeh ... action.png

So thiamine will do that only if there is a deficiency. But biotin and molybdenum will do that as well.

But you won't listen to me. So who cares.

Pink

Postby Pink » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:35 am

Thank you for your useful post.
I got diabetes for many years. Now I get pain from neuropathy. I am a teacher at a primary school and now I have to leave my job until I can get rid of neuropathy. :(
https://authorityremedies.com/home-remedies-for-neuropathy/
Lavender is one of the best natural home remedies for neuropathy thanks to its natural pain-killing quality.
Besides, it is also strongly anti-inflammatory, which means that lavender can effectively prevent inflammation and swelling in the nerves.
Does lavender work?? Please!!!

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”