Can you remember your child as a newborn? questions....

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Can you remember your child as a newborn? questions....

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:14 pm

I was looking at newborn baby pictures of my son tonight and in so many of them i noticed he looked to be in pain. I cant compare much cause i only have one child and dont have access to other peoples baby pictures much. My son was all red, with very dry skin (later turned into very bad excema) He constantly had his whole fist in his mouth and often his hands would curl up when he cried as if he was in severe pain. My son also cried A LOT.

I remember as soon as he was born, he was shoving his fingers and whole hand into his mouth. He was very overdue and I thought maybe he was hungry. The midwife told me that because I smoked (i know, bad mommy) during pregnancy that he was suffering from withdrawal symptoms. I smoked about 10 ciggies a week.

My guy just didnt look very happy at all until he was about 2 months old.

How bout your own? did you notice anything especially different when they were newborn, from your other children?friends children?

Ricky's mom

Postby Ricky's mom » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:51 pm

When my son was a newborn he was very jaundiced, had been exposed to chicken pox and lost a lot of weight the two days following birth because he wouldn't nurse and when he did, he would projective vomit. His feeding got better but then he spent the first couple of months constantly crying as tho he was in pain... pushing away from me when I held him. He would arch his back and cry for hours. So terrible.

After a few months this went away and he began to develop "normally" (until about 12 months) besides a hospitalization for shingles and the beginnings of eczema which would plague us until he was 5.5 years and started bio-med.

His first few months were nothing at all like my NT daughter... come to think of it, almost nothing about his development has been like hers.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:55 pm

Yes, i have pictures of my son arching his back too. Oh, its so painful to think about now what they might have been going through. Ouch.

respect

Leslie

Postby Leslie » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:22 pm

As an infant my son didn't do any of that, come to think of it, he was so calm... Everyone always commented on what a "good baby" he was. Rarely fussed, and was easily soothed by being held, although he did prefer being held by a man over a woman (with the exception of me, his mommy!!). Never any eczema, back arching, looks of pain. It was around 15 months when he just seemed to "lose it", basically lost all language, got really hyper (and he had been REALLY calm prior to that), stopped making eye contact, etc.. Everyone told us that he was starting the terrible twos early...wish I would have had him evaluated back then.

Leslie
Mother to 4 year old JW, my little angel!

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:23 pm

My son was similar as well. He was fine until about 6 weeks old. He was an angel slept through the night I actually had to wake him during his first month to feed him. He was thriving gained weight very fast. At about 6 weeks he dev. acid reflux and then came the back arching and crying. Only during periods though. Mostly at around 6 to 8 at night and sometimes in the morning. As a baby my son was a serious baby but he smiled and laughed. I'm still not 100 % that he even has ASD. He has some symptoms but not enough to get a dx. My son is very social at 2.75, talks to the point where i want to put ear plugs in, his eye contact is sporatic, responds appropriatley to questions, is very hyper periodically, and he has repetitive play patterns and pretend play as well. I think that my son just marches to the beat of a different drum. LOL

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:30 pm

I often look at some of Kameron's baby pics. It amazes me too, he was a good baby. He was fed breast milk for 8 months. He said dada at 4 months, crawled at 6 months and walked at 9 months. He did stiffen his back a little if I can remember but no crying with it. Every pic he is looking and smiling. It was around his first b-day and the MMR that we noticed the toe walking and the stimming. He would shake his finger or anything he would be holding in front of his face. He does not do that anymore and if I see him do it-it is very rare. Everything sometimes seems like such a blare and when people ask me I can not exactly say when certain symptoms appeared. Marie

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:33 pm

Sasha was a good baby however he didn't sleep and he did cry a lot. I can remember him waking up every 2-3 hours until he was 13 months old. For many months we would have to go on car rides at 2 and 3am just to get him to go back to sleep.

BUT Sasha never showed signs of Autism until after his 9 month vaccinations. At that time he just stopped babbling and saying the few words that he could say. After 12 month shots he was pretty much gone.

I have videos of him throughout his life and at 12 months old I stopped videoing b/c everything was screaming fits. At Christmas (in 2003) I have Sasha on video and he is walking in circles in the kitchen and every 4 circles he would stop and hit his head on the floor 3 times then walk 4 more circles and hit his ehad 3 more times and so on. I have a ton of weird things that he started to do after his 12 month vaccinations.

On all of the videos Sasha is perfectly normal until his 9 months vaccines. He was so happy and loved the video camera. He would babble and say Mama Mama when I would video. He would dance and clap and point to the parts of his face like his ear and nose. Then it all stopped.

-Crystal

Grace

Postby Grace » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:08 pm

Jaden was a very easy baby. She slept well, ate well, and was happy. All photos show huge smiles looking directly at the camera. At 12 months, she was already scratching her bottom, and doing the 'shivers'. She wouldn't 'cooperate' when we tried to get her to imitate and learn. She would say new words, never to say them again. She began to screech a lot and get very hyper around 18 months. She also got quite unhappy. She also still wasn't talking. She didn't respond to her name. She started spinning in the kitchen and we thought it was a fun game and even made up a song for it :( We were so clueless. Photos of her 2nd BD show such a difference from photos of her 1st Bd, and even from when she was 18 months....Not looking at the camera no matter how much I sang and danced...
It was the day after her 2nd BD that a friend clued me in to what might be the problem... :(
~Blessed to be called Mama by many~

Grace

Postby Grace » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:11 pm

She caught Pertussis when she was 11 months old. Even after receiving all three vaccines. :x Can the illness jumpstart autism?

Srinath

Santosh

Postby Srinath » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:35 pm

Santosh my 3 yr old was also arching his back and acting quite hyper and restless at 5 months. In fact we have had him crawl and disappear before we got the camera out to picture him. Eye contact was lacking even then and he was a fairly strong baby being able to hold up his head at 1 1/2 months. He started talking and got 27 words some of which were made up by the time he was 15 months and then lost them all. He started walking around 10 months and literally started walking overnight, learnt it very very quickly. He has always had decent bowel movements and only a mildly picky eater. BTW he naturally likes to eat GF/CF food and getting him to drink milk used to take some serious trickery on our part. We are going serious south Indian (yea we grew up on it and its great food) because its naturally Gluten free. Top it off he's a vegetarian like him mom - I was gonna get him to eat meat, but wifey insists she can do great with South Indian food. Lets see how he tests out.
Thanks.
Srinath.

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:17 am

Both Luke and Jessica were good babies. I brestfed and Luke had a hard time latching on at first but then he was fine. Luke was a little colicy in the evenings though and we had to walk him around. He seemed to be very sensitive to EVERYTHING I ate. I'll never forget the day I ate some broccoli! It all seems like such a blur now but one thing that does stand out about them is that they never clutched onto me when I held them in my arms, they would just dangle there like a sack of potatoes. I remember sometimes being afraid I was going to drop one of them ( this was noticed at about 6-10 mos.)
They would babble like normal kids but had limited words and the Dr. said it was because twins always were late talkers especially with no older siblings in the house. I recall Luke started to make an annoying humming noise at around 12-13 mos. (the same time I started him on cow's milk) And then the handflapping started with him and I stopped all the vaccines. I remember his dissappearence was very slow over a period of time and after his 9 mos shots, I could tell something was going on with him but I didn't know exactly what. With Jessica, she's had sensory integration issues and speech problems but not the typical autisic things like lining up toys, toe walking etc. She was a good baby, happy most of the time. She was saving all the bad stuff for later...... :wink:

Beware of the pharma trollbot shills posting from anonymous proxy servers

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:51 am

Grace,

My ASD son also cought Pertussis last November and he did have the vaccines as well. My other son was 3 months old at the time and got it as well but he is not vaccinated. My little one was in and out of the ER for 3 days but Sasha (asd son) didn't have to go. They both coughed for over a month.

You made a good point!

-Crystal

natasa778

Postby natasa778 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:49 am

My son was 'different' not only from the day he was born (screaming fits for the first few days, hospital would not disharge but could not find anything), he also seemed extremely hungry and was constantly on the breast... now I know it was gut issues (he did have diarrhea from day one, as well as red ring around anus).

I would say he was affected even WHILE IN THE WOMB!! I really believe it, he was just so hyperactive, almost agressive. Pregnancy was very difficult, although no obvious medical problems until the last couple of days, I just had such hard time and was thinking 'never again'. Must be that some chemistry wasn't quite right there. Delivery was also a nightmare.

Natasa

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:55 am

Grace wrote:Can the illness jumpstart autism?

Grace,

the more I read and hear the more I believe the illness DOES jumstart autism.

Maybe not an illness with visible symptoms, but definitely some outside factor like virus/bacteria/heavy metal - if introduced to an disregulated/imbalanced/sensitive immune system it causes havoc and things begin spiralling downwards.

Natasa

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:05 am

Hi Natasha, this could well be. I know my own son caught a very bad "puking" flu and then a really bad chest infection at the same time. After that, he lost his words.

By the way somebody mentioned "shivers". My son does this sometimes, he "shivers" though he isnt cold. does this mean something??
or am i being paranoid.

thanks

respect

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:38 am

Respect,

I was wondering the same thing re shivers, as my son gets them - are they what they call 'seizures' (spelling?). Seizure are supposedly quite common in autism, I always wondered what they were, ie how to recognise them.

Natasa

Srinath

seizures ...

Postby Srinath » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:09 pm

My son seems to have his eyes roll back in his head and stands still for a few seconds ... and he does this 3-5 times a day. Are these seizures ???
Thanks.
Srinath.

Grace

Postby Grace » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:26 pm

Jaden would sit in her high chair and stiffen up--her head and face and top half of her body would all stiffen and 'shiver' like she was cold, and her arms would do it too. Sometimes her eyes did weird things while this was going on but not always. It lasted about 3 seconds, and didn't seem to bother her. I kept checking to see if she was cold. My hubs thought she was playing. The Pediatrician agreed with hubs. :(
The neurologist said it is a sign of dev disabilities.
Jaden still does it, mostly when she is excited.....
She is 2.4

Grace

Postby Grace » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:27 pm

Oh--the two EEGs she had revealed no seizure activity...

kathleenjj

Postby kathleenjj » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:17 pm

Jason was fine as a baby. Perfect eye contact. I am a psychologist and was watching for things. He was fine. At one year we got the MMR and all went awry
Kathleen
Proud Mom

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”