Our success story with "Feast without Yeast" diet

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

jaumeb

Re: Our success story with "Feast without Yeast" diet

Postby jaumeb » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:51 pm

It would be very difficult for me to make coconut kefir as there are not many coconut products where I live. I considered water kefir, but was scared of a possible negative reaction.

I am taking vsl3 but I will probably discontinue it as it is expensive and I don't know to which extent it is helping.

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks Varen, I appreciate your help! Great idea about the lemonade! I had considered that but hadn't tried it. But wouldn't there be just as much sugar or more in the lemonade as the juice? Also I am wondering if one could just use coconut oil in all their cooking in place of using Nystatin since coconut oil is supposedly great for getting rid of candida. Which brings me to my next thought. I have recently stopped the boys probiotic (2weeks ago) but now noticing that they are more aggressive and are having very loose stools. I recall seeing somewhere on this site warning to not get rid of yeast because it will cause bigger problems. Now I am not sure what to think about the FWY approach. Any ideas about this?

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:05 am

Sheri, what probiotic were you using? Apparently it was working well.

My plan is to try probiotic foods and antifungal foods and see what happens.

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:53 pm

The probiotic I was using was from the AIM company called Flora Food

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:29 am

Sheri wrote:The probiotic I was using was from the AIM company called Flora Food

Thanks Sheri.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:15 pm

Sheri wrote:Thanks Varen, I appreciate your help! Great idea about the lemonade! I had considered that but hadn't tried it. But wouldn't there be just as much sugar or more in the lemonade as the juice? Also I am wondering if one could just use coconut oil in all their cooking in place of using Nystatin since coconut oil is supposedly great for getting rid of candida. Which brings me to my next thought. I have recently stopped the boys probiotic (2weeks ago) but now noticing that they are more aggressive and are having very loose stools. I recall seeing somewhere on this site warning to not get rid of yeast because it will cause bigger problems. Now I am not sure what to think about the FWY approach. Any ideas about this?

Hi,

Lemonade would have to be made at home with raw (unheated unprocessed) honey.
Raw honey has natural protection from mold and bacteria, that's why it can be on a shelf for a long time.
Raw honey doesn't feed yeast. Sugar does.

We've tried many things like homeopathy (great results), vitamins (somehow great), probiotic (bad result), fermented food (good result with half a teaspoon but no more a day).
Nystatin is by far the best treatment for us.
Diet is very important, but without Nystatin my son wouldn't get so much better.
I don't see coconut oil helping with candida. It has to be something much stronger.

My concern is that the speech has to develop to a certain level by the age of 3. My strategy would be to use a more aggressive method such as Nystatin to get rid of Candida and then continue for a few years with Nystatin while rebuilding the gut flora.

I think the FWY diet doesn't provide answer to rebuilding the gut flora. We're now trying fermented foods, will be trying coconut kefir and

That said, my son was very autistic, no words by the age of 2 and 1 month. If we didn't use Nystatin, his speech wouldn't get so much better. His speech is almost on the same level as any other kid right now.

But if we stop Nystatin right now, he will probably go back to having little or no speech. So the key is to keep the yeast down while rebuilding the gut flora. This is what we're working on now.

If you don't want to use Nystatin, I would suggest homeopathy. We're getting great results with Carsinocin and Mercurious Corrosivus remedies.
They make my son's immune system to fight Candida. If he stops taking the remedies, his speech and gains remain the same. So, this would be a more natural way to heal the gut.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Wed May 11, 2016 7:21 am

Varen, I started sauerkraut a few days ago. To be honest, I don't know if it is helping or making things worse. I am seeing changes, but I don't know if they are good or bad.

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Wed May 11, 2016 12:53 pm

Thank you for all your help Varen! I think I still have a thousand questions though :lol: one question coming to mind right now is why is fish not allowed on the last stage? Every time my boys eat wild pacific salmon within a few hours they are speaking new things they have never said before! This happens every time and it still amazes me! I would hate to cut out the salmon.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Thu May 12, 2016 9:47 am

Sheri wrote:Every time my boys eat wild pacific salmon within a few hours they are speaking new things they have never said before! This happens every time and it still amazes me! I would hate to cut out the salmon.

That's certainly amazing. And very important. Thanks for telling us about this.

amndzon

Postby amndzon » Fri May 13, 2016 10:30 am

Varen,

You are incorrect that honey does not feed yeast. It is absolutely fermentable by yeast, that is how mead is made (I've been making mead as a hobby for many years). Adding lemons or other adjuncts will still allow honey to be consumed by yeast, sometimes depending on the strain it even enhances the yeasts ability to reproduce. Raw honey or heated honey does nothing to reduce the fermentation process.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:20 am

jaumeb wrote:Varen, I started sauerkraut a few days ago. To be honest, I don't know if it is helping or making things worse. I am seeing changes, but I don't know if they are good or bad.

Our homeopath says cabbage has a lot of sulphur. Yeast likes sulphur. That's why my son can't really eat broccoli, and some other foods high in sulphur. I can't eat a lot of fresh garlic or onions.

I'm not sure sauerkraut is a good option with active yeast.

We're trying coconut kefir, it's great.
We tried "milk grains" from kombuchakamp.com
Didn't work for my son - I think it has dairy in it.

We tried "the body ecology" kefir starter for coconut kefir and it's great.

It doesn't have to be coconut water. I believe it can be made with cow or goat milk or something else like almond or rice milk.

The body ecology kit has Saccharomyces boulardii bacteria that kills yeast. Best to start slow. I'm taking one tablespoon of coconut kefir and my son takes half a tablespoon.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:38 am

Sheri wrote:Thank you for all your help Varen! I think I still have a thousand questions though :lol: one question coming to mind right now is why is fish not allowed on the last stage? Every time my boys eat wild pacific salmon within a few hours they are speaking new things they have never said before! This happens every time and it still amazes me! I would hate to cut out the salmon.

My son eats one piece of wild sockey salmon a day - we buy frozen at Costco, comes out very cheap. It's a great source of vitamins and omega-3. No constipation no other problems. He gets a bit constipated if he eats too much meat.

My son cannot eat farmed fish so I would say only wild fish. He gets aggressive after eating farmed fish.

Feast without yeast diet is not perfect. It helps remove the most problematic foods and once they are removed, you can try adding foods back. If you don't see any negative reaction to food, it's ok to eat.

My son cannot eat brown rice and beans. Feast without yeast suggest eating them. He can eat white rice and lentils. My son can eat egg yolks. It's hard to separate yolks from whites though. I fry eggs and when it's completely cooked, I remove the whites completely. He gets aggressive if he eats even a bit of egg white. The eggs have to be organic pasture raised.

The key is to eat organic and fresh. When I buy white rice, I check the expiration date and check rice for any mold and black spots.

With lentils, he cannot eat some brands. We're buying organic green lentils from Arrowhead mills. He can tolerate it well.

We also discovered resently that raw honey can still have some sugar in it. I'm not sure what was wrong with "Really raw honey" brand, but he was getting silly (sugar) after eating this honey brand. We tried different honey brand from a local farmers market. Same silly reaction.

We switched to YR Organic honey (from wholefoods) and no silly reaction, all is good now.
Last edited by varen2 on Sat May 14, 2016 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:54 am

Sheri wrote:Thanks Varen, I appreciate your help! Great idea about the lemonade! I had considered that but hadn't tried it. But wouldn't there be just as much sugar or more in the lemonade as the juice? Also I am wondering if one could just use coconut oil in all their cooking in place of using Nystatin since coconut oil is supposedly great for getting rid of candida. Which brings me to my next thought. I have recently stopped the boys probiotic (2weeks ago) but now noticing that they are more aggressive and are having very loose stools. I recall seeing somewhere on this site warning to not get rid of yeast because it will cause bigger problems. Now I am not sure what to think about the FWY approach. Any ideas about this?

I would suggest to implement the diet slow and if something doesn't work, take a step back. If cancelling probiotics create problems, I would add them back.

We used fish oil and calcium supplement with the diet without problems. We're trying small amounts of ferments now although the diet says no ferments allowed.

I believe that yeast is the main cause of Autism. I think something triggers the good bacteria to die (vaccine, mold, antibiotics, etc) and yeast grows in the gut instead of good bacteria. A layer of yeast doesn't let vitamins and other nutrition to digest properly. This explains nutrition and vitamin deficiencies in autistic kids. Yeast produces toxins that affect the growing brain.

It's uncomfortable for a parent during the die off time because a child gets aggressive and has emotional ups and downs, but it's totally worth it.

It's also hard to keep yeast under control so it's a constant battle.

But keeping yeast in the gut and just supplementing with vitamins won't lead to a recovery in my opinion.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Sat May 14, 2016 7:18 am

Thanks varen for all that information.

AFAIK, all honeys contain sucrose.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:45 pm

jaumeb wrote:Thanks varen for all that information.

AFAIK, all honeys contain sucrose.

Hi jaumeb, I wonder if you're looking for the treatments for yourself? Then I have a few thoughts on this matter. My husband suffers from high blood pressure and headaches and now we know this is because of his yeast issues.

He's started feeling much better after eliminating red meat (in fact all meats from his diet).
Red meats (except for Veal) are also a big problem for my son, much worse than other things.

If you're eating meats trying to stay low carb, I would try to change the diet a bit.
Switch to wild fish (wild salmon, it's low mercury) and stop eating meats for a few weeks. It might help with your symptoms.

There is something very harmful in red meat and commercial chicken, it just makes yeast issues much worse.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Wed May 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Varen, commercial meat is loaded with antibiotics, hormones and all kind of problems. I use organic meat which should be better.

I avoided meat some years ago, but back then I was on the scd diet eating fruit, nuts, eggs and veggies. That didn't work. I haven't tried to avoid meat recently.

I tried low carb in the past. Now I am eating lentils, potatoes and brown rice daily.

I just started turmeric, which is a natural antifungal.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:59 pm

jaumeb wrote:I tried low carb in the past. Now I am eating lentils, potatoes and brown rice daily.

And you have no yeast issues?

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Thu May 19, 2016 6:08 am

Nikkie, in my case including those foods in my diet seemed like a step in the right direction. I suffer from yeast overgrowth, but it was worse before I introduced those foods.

It's scary because people recommends low carb diets for yeast overgrowth and I had a bad experience with those. "Feast without yeast" uses potatoes, beans and brown rice as staple foods.

I am not following all FWY ideas as I disagree with some of them.

It is tricky because SIBO and yeast can present similar symptoms and they respond to different diets.

Melody

Postby Melody » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi Varen,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Do you mind to tell me which compounding pharmacy you use for the powder Nystatin?

We live in Los Angeles as well. Thanks!

varen2

Postby varen2 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:18 pm

jaumeb wrote:Nikkie, in my case including those foods in my diet seemed like a step in the right direction. I suffer from yeast overgrowth, but it was worse before I introduced those foods.

It's scary because people recommends low carb diets for yeast overgrowth and I had a bad experience with those. "Feast without yeast" uses potatoes, beans and brown rice as staple foods.

I am not following all FWY ideas as I disagree with some of them.

It is tricky because SIBO and yeast can present similar symptoms and they respond to different diets.

Hi jaumeb,
I agree, low carb diet is not for us. I think it creates disbalance in the body. We need carbs to function well.

My son has issues with brown rice and beans though. I also disagree with some parts of "Feast without Yeast" diet. I don't think brown rice is a good option for our kids. Another parent told me about issues with brown rice. White rice is better tolerated by my son. However, i only use white rice flour to make pancakes and waffles for my son. Boiled white rice is too starchy for him so we're not using boiled rice.

We have some veal and chicken once a week. We have wild salmon almost every day. We have steamed red potatoes every day.

We're now looking for some natural sources of probiotics. We tried coconut kefir and fermented foods with mixed results. In my opinion, it would be hard to repopulate the gut with good bacteria by just using kefir and fermented foods. I think raw milk (camel milk, goat milk, human breast milk if someone is still breastfeeding) would be the best option .

However, raw milk can have a harmful bacteria. Pasteurized milk has no probiotics in it. So, we're still looking for a good natural probiotic for my son.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”