Our success story with "Feast without Yeast" diet

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

jaumeb

Re: Our success story with "Feast without Yeast" diet

Postby jaumeb » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:26 pm

As I mentioned in the other thread, my experience with rice is opposite to yours. I think brown rice is better. So difficult to be sure of anything. I soak the brown rice according to Weston A. Price Foundation instructions.

I currently use goat yogurt using milk of the neighbour's goats. Also beet kvass and 1 tsp sauerkraut.

And these days I am trying buckwheat. I am optimistic about it.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:16 pm

jaumeb wrote:As I mentioned in the other thread, my experience with rice is opposite to yours. I think brown rice is better. So difficult to be sure of anything. I soak the brown rice according to Weston A. Price Foundation instructions.

I currently use goat yogurt using milk of the neighbour's goats. Also beet kvass and 1 tsp sauerkraut.

And these days I am trying buckwheat. I am optimistic about it.

Buckwheat is great, my son can tolerate some buckwheat. I think toasted buckwheat might be better as it will preserve its shape when boiled and will be less mushy/starchy. I'm going to read more about Weston A. Price Foundation. I wonder if there is something else I could find on their website.

The body ecology diet also suggests soaking (or sprouting) buckwheat, quinoa and amaranth.
Last edited by varen2 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:40 pm

Isn't rice a big concern with the levels of arsenic? And aren't potatoes high oxalate? Feeling out of options.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:42 am

Sheri wrote:Isn't rice a big concern with the levels of arsenic? And aren't potatoes high oxalate? Feeling out of options.

I'm very concerned about arsenic in rice. I did a lot of research a week ago and found that brown rice has the highest level of arsenic.
White rice grown in California, Pakistan and India has much less arsenic. White rice grown in Texas and Arizona is also high in arsenic.
White rice grown in Thailand has the smallest amount of arsenic.

Luckily I've been using white rice grown in Thailand for my son.
I am currently trying to find an alternative to rice for him but not very successful so far.
I tried buckwheat flour, it was too starchy and there was something else. He definitely had some reaction.
Sorghum flour - reaction.
Tried cooked Quinoa, he had some aggression after eating quinoa. Quinoa has saponin coating so I think it contributes to the inflammation in the gut.
Sunflower seeds toasted in canola oil - didn't work, he had a reaction. He might be able to eat raw sunflower seeds (not toasted), I will have to try.

Thoroughly washed and boiled buckwheat (visibly fresh with a long expiration date) is a best alternative so far. It's starchy so he can't have too much of it yet.

Rice is also high in oxalates. Despite this, my son's level of oxalates went down on our last OAT test.
February 2015 OAT test:
Oxalates: 435;

September 2015 OAT test:
Oxalates: 337

Oxalates are still high but it's getting better, the norm should be between 35 and 185.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:16 am

Sheri wrote:Thanks Varen, I appreciate your help! Great idea about the lemonade! I had considered that but hadn't tried it. But wouldn't there be just as much sugar or more in the lemonade as the juice? Also I am wondering if one could just use coconut oil in all their cooking in place of using Nystatin since coconut oil is supposedly great for getting rid of candida. Which brings me to my next thought. I have recently stopped the boys probiotic (2weeks ago) but now noticing that they are more aggressive and are having very loose stools. I recall seeing somewhere on this site warning to not get rid of yeast because it will cause bigger problems. Now I am not sure what to think about the FWY approach. Any ideas about this?

Hi Sheri,

One of the parents tried nystatin for his kid and saw no improvements and even worsening of the symptoms. Since then I came across some information regarding SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth).

Apparently some people with SIBO might have yeast overgrowth only, others might have yeast overgrowth AND bad bacteria present in the gut. Some will have yeast, bad bacteria and a leaky gut.

Some symptoms, such as loose stools, gas, bloating and extended belly are most likely caused by bad bacteria present in the gut, not by yeast.

My son never had loose stools, gas, or bloating. He had a round belly, but no other problems with stool or gas. He had bacterial markers elevated on his OAT test as well as elevated yeast. But he had no issues with Clostridia.

This might explain why your children got worse as soon as you stopped probiotics. Probiotics don't treat yeast, but they keep the bad bacteria under control.

I wonder if bad bacteria in the gut has to be addressed first before treating yeast.

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:01 am

Thanks Varen!
I was just learning about the arsenic last week as well, and fortunately my boys have been eating white jasmine rice from Thailand. Unfortunately they have been eating Bob Mills organic brown rice cereal for breakfast since switching from gluten free oats. I need ideas for breakfast.
I read that white rice is low oxalate and white potatoes are high oxalate.

I have been reading about SIBO as well. I do think bad bacteria is a problem for my boys. They also had giardia and other parasites for many months, perhaps longer. (We adopted our boys from Haiti) Have you read much about Dr.Axe and his leaky gut approach? Wondering if this is a good approach. He mentions going GFCF, use kefir, coconut oil, bone broths, blueberries, squashes etc. To help heal the gut and nourish the spleen. He also has a leaky gut supplement but not sure about using that.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:12 am

Good idea for breakfast buckwheat porridge, loaded in lysine as well

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:34 am

Sheri wrote:Thanks Varen!
I was just learning about the arsenic last week as well, and fortunately my boys have been eating white jasmine rice from Thailand. Unfortunately they have been eating Bob Mills organic brown rice cereal for breakfast since switching from gluten free oats. I need ideas for breakfast.
I read that white rice is low oxalate and white potatoes are high oxalate.

I have been reading about SIBO as well. I do think bad bacteria is a problem for my boys. They also had giardia and other parasites for many months, perhaps longer. (We adopted our boys from Haiti) Have you read much about Dr.Axe and his leaky gut approach? Wondering if this is a good approach. He mentions going GFCF, use kefir, coconut oil, bone broths, blueberries, squashes etc. To help heal the gut and nourish the spleen. He also has a leaky gut supplement but not sure about using that.

I tried buckwheat for my son. It doesn't work for us. He had a mild reaction. But everyone is different, it might work for your boys.

My son used to tolerate well "Sweet Sorghum Flour" from Bobs Red Mills. He has some very mild reaction right now.

Blue corn flour (organic, non-gmo) might work well. Blue corn has no sugar and it's not a grain. It's a vegetable. I haven't tried it for my son yet. I Will post as soon as we try blue corn flour.

I have two great recipes to share:

Acorn Squash pancakes (or waffles):
You need to buy dark green (not yellow) acorn squash. Dark Green acorn squash has no simple sugars. When acorn squash becomes yellowish, complex sugars convert into simple sugars and they get too sugary for my son.
My son eats one dark green acorn squash a day without any problems.

Wash it, take out seeds, cut into pieces and steam for 15 minutes until soft. You don't need to peel off the skin (it's very time consuming!)

Scoop the yellow flesh out with a spoon. Mash it and add some white rice flour. Make bite size pancakes and fry with some safflower oil on a frying pan.
Serve with some raw unprocessed honey.
Use the same recipe for waffles. Add a bit more rice flour and some safflower oil to the butter for waffles.

You can use Butternut squash instead, but Butternut squash has some sugar. Butternut squash has to be boiled in water for 1-2 hours to remove sugars.

"French Fries" recipe
I used this recipe when my son was a peaky eater. He eats boiled potatoes right now.

Peel and cut red potatoes in half. Use only red potatoes. Other types have too much starch.
Steam them for 15 minutes and let them cool down under cover. If you let them cool down without cover, they will become fluffy and starchy.
Steamed potatoes when cooled down under cover seem to be less starchy.

Cut them into "french fries" shape and fry them in some oil on a frying pan. Fry one side only, or every side for a very picky eater.

My son eats lots of boiled potatoes and doesn't eat boiled rice. I only use some white rice flour for his pancakes.
My son can't eat brown rice (aggressive reaction). He can't eat boiled white rice, it's still too starchy for him.

Some recent discoveries:

My son can tolerate Egg yolks. He has a bad reaction to egg whites though.
I fry eggs in some oil and very carefully remove all whites from his egg yolks. "Feast without yeast" says no eggs, but you should try egg yolks only.
I think they should be well tolerated by most kids.

My son can drink Goat Milk. He had bad reaction to Goat cheese and store bought goat yogurt. However, he can drink pasteurized goat milk. You need to start with a very small dose (1 tsp) and slowly increase the dose. Apparently goat milk has a different type of protein and it's easily digestible. I gave my son some raw goat milk for the first two weeks to repopulate his gut with milk enzymes (pasteurized milk has no enzymes in it and our kids need enzymes to digest milk). http://www.rawmilk.com is a good source to find raw goat milk near you. However, RAW MILK can have some bad bacteria and parasites. It's best to freeze it first to kill parasites (if any). Then after a few weeks on raw milk, it's best to switch to boiled milk or buy pasteurized goat milk. You can search more on this forum on goat milk.

Very ripe bananas with lots of black dots. They are allowed on the first stage of SCD diet. They have to be very ripe, almost black. Sugars in very ripe bananas convert to something else. I think it's simple sugars that get absorbed in the stomach and they don't make it to a small intestine. I'm not sure but it works. Start with 1/4 of a banana. I think 1/3 of a very ripe banana is very safe to eat.

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks Varen! Great ideas and recipes! I will give the pancake/waffles a try. But I think oxalates bother my boys so we aren't doing potatoes right now. I would like to try the eggs again, this time without the whites. Another question I am wondering about, does this diet work towards healing the gut like the GAPS idea or just get rid of yeast? Still debating about going grain free for awhile to help heal the gut quicker. But my boys love rice and food is a trust/attachment issue being adopted from an orphanage.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Sheri wrote:Thanks Varen! Great ideas and recipes! I will give the pancake/waffles a try. But I think oxalates bother my boys so we aren't doing potatoes right now. I would like to try the eggs again, this time without the whites. Another question I am wondering about, does this diet work towards healing the gut like the GAPS idea or just get rid of yeast? Still debating about going grain free for awhile to help heal the gut quicker. But my boys love rice and food is a trust/attachment issue being adopted from an orphanage.

I think we're doing a mix of "Feast without Yeast" and SCD diet right now. I will have to rewrite the first post at some point to reflect that.

My son was eating brown rice and potatoes and his oxalate level went down on OAT test despite that fact. Not as much as I would like to, but still. I think potatoes dont have as much oxalates as brown rice.

GAPS diet have some major flaws I think.
First, too much meat.
Second, broth. Broth made from vegetables or wild fish bones is probably ok. But meat/chicken broth made from glass-fed and grass-finished chickens made my son really sick for 2 days. Same with veal bones. Later, I found that animals store heavy metals and toxins in their bones. Also, broth always has fat in it and my son is not very good with animal fats. Autistic kids generally don't tolerate animal fats well. He is doing great with wild fish fat (wild salmon).

GAPS also suggests using almond and coconut flours. My son can't tolerate both. Recently I found why he cannot tolerate any seeds/ seed flour and pseudo-grains (buckwheat, quinoa, millet). All seeds have a substance called "Lectin". It's hard to digest and it makes the inflammation in the gut much worse.

Here is an arcitle about lectins: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-lectins

White rice has almost no lectin, hence my son can tolerate it well.

Also, the founder of GAPS published an article about her son's recovery. Her son was putting two word sentences together after 3 weeks of ABA therapy. Then he progressed further with her diet. My guess is that his gut was not as bad as my son's gut. My son would never ever progress with ABA along.

I think SCD diet and The Body Ecology Diet is more suitable for a badly damaged gut.

The missing part of "Feast without Yeast" diet is repopulating the gut with good bacteria.
We've been taking Nystatin and suppressing yeast for a while but I think my son didn't have any sources of good bacteria.
I'm too afraid to give probiotics.

The natural source of probiotics is RAW Milk. He is currently taking Camel Milk (2 tbs) twice a day.
I tried giving him a cup of raw goat milk. It was too much. I'm planning to start with 1 tbsp a day and slowly increase the amount.
He drinks 8 oz of pasturized goat milk a day. It has no probiotic so he can drink a lot without any problems.

Raw goat milk has 200 different strains of probiotic.
Another source of probiotic is fermented vegetables. But you have to ferment them at home (24 hours on the countertop), then keep in a fridge and use withing 3-4 days.
When fermented vegetables get old, they do more damage then good. We had some good results with homemade fermented cucumbers, 1/2 teaspoon twice a day. But making a new batch of fermented vegetables every few days is very time consuming. I think Raw milk is easier to

Homemade kefir with "kefir starter" from The Body Ecology Diet is also great. But again, time consuming.
We're still exploring probiotics.

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks Varen! You have been so helpful. I feel like I could ask questions for days and still have more questions! I just ordered raw camel milk powder a few days ago and am waiting to try this. But read last night that powdered doesn't help at all....we will see. It's too late now I have already ordered it.
As for bone broth, I have been giving them org. chicken bone broth that I make at home from roasted chicken and use it to cook their rice in it. I don't know if it helps or makes things worse. I am just trying to get more nutrients in them as they are GF/CF, no corn, soy, egg, took them off barley green juice and carrot juice thinking oxalates and manganese might be a problem.
Thinking of finding a naturopath soon for help as I am feeling lost in this all. That said my boys have been making a lot of gains in the last month and a half and don't want to stop the progress. Also using frankincense oil on their feet which has given us great eye contact, more language and imaginative play! Super thrilled about that! But eye stimming has regressed some. I am guessing one of their biggest problems is eating white rice twice a day and organic brown rice cereal for breakfast. So I am working on trying to fix that one.
Thanks Again!!

varen2

Postby varen2 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:41 am

Sheri wrote:Thanks Varen! You have been so helpful. I feel like I could ask questions for days and still have more questions! I just ordered raw camel milk powder a few days ago and am waiting to try this. But read last night that powdered doesn't help at all....we will see. It's too late now I have already ordered it.
As for bone broth, I have been giving them org. chicken bone broth that I make at home from roasted chicken and use it to cook their rice in it. I don't know if it helps or makes things worse. I am just trying to get more nutrients in them as they are GF/CF, no corn, soy, egg, took them off barley green juice and carrot juice thinking oxalates and manganese might be a problem.
Thinking of finding a naturopath soon for help as I am feeling lost in this all. That said my boys have been making a lot of gains in the last month and a half and don't want to stop the progress. Also using frankincense oil on their feet which has given us great eye contact, more language and imaginative play! Super thrilled about that! But eye stimming has regressed some. I am guessing one of their biggest problems is eating white rice twice a day and organic brown rice cereal for breakfast. So I am working on trying to fix that one.
Thanks Again!!

Found this post about successful recovery and glutamate. When searching about glutamate toxicity, I found that its present in huge quantities in boiled meat and broth.

I would try to exclude meat broth from their diet for 4 days and see if the symptoms improve.

I would also try to give boiled / lightly fried In safflower oil red-skin potatoes ( mixed with meat or fish ) for a few days instead of rice. You might see improvements with potatoes in place of rice. If not, you can always go back to previous diet.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33872

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks Varen! I was thinking the same thing about the broth. I wonder why it seems to be a key food in the gaps diet for autism. I suppose it works for some. I will give it a whirl. I am also about to try camel milk (will start tomorrow hopefully) so I think I will start after that as to not try everything at once.

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:37 pm

Thanks Varen! I was thinking the same thing about the broth. I wonder why it seems to be a key food in the gaps diet for autism. I suppose it works for some. I will give it a whirl. I am also about to try camel milk (will start tomorrow hopefully) so I think I will start after that as to not try everything at once.

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:23 am

Hi! That was my "Message in a Bottle" post thrown out into the world. My daughter has been helping people through word of mouth, friend of a friend thing, and I also wanted to do something to help other children.

Want to verify that grandchild did not consume any soup, broth, or gelatin. Just saw the SCD diet has an intro diet that includes those things (don't know if that's new), but know that my daughter just kept eliminating food and no intro diet was involved. For practical reasons, it was all toddler finger food. Didn't realize at the beginning about glutamate, so that was a lucky omission. I'll have to clarify that post not to do the intro diet.

I don't know about the GAPS diet or Feast Without Yeast and how they differ from SCD, just know the SCD was designed to be easy-to-digest, both to heal and to starve out bad critters. Best wishes.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:04 pm

Grandmother wrote:Hi! That was my "Message in a Bottle" post thrown out into the world. My daughter has been helping people through word of mouth, friend of a friend thing, and I also wanted to do something to help other children.

Want to verify that grandchild did not consume any soup, broth, or gelatin. Just saw the SCD diet has an intro diet that includes those things (don't know if that's new), but know that my daughter just kept eliminating food and no intro diet was involved. For practical reasons, it was all toddler finger food. Didn't realize at the beginning about glutamate, so that was a lucky omission. I'll have to clarify that post not to do the intro diet.

I don't know about the GAPS diet or Feast Without Yeast and how they differ from SCD, just know the SCD was designed to be easy-to-digest, both to heal and to starve out bad critters. Best wishes.

Thank you so much for your post! My son is on a mix of SCD diet and Feast without yeast (he is eating boiled red potatoes and 2 tbsp of white rice a day). Also, SCD doesn't allow fish but my son eats wild caught salmon every day. He can't eat farmed fish - he gets aggressive reaction and dark circles under his eyes.

You mentioned your grandchild was taking Nystatin. How long did She/he take Nystatin?

Did you use any homemade goat yogurt? Did you use raw goat milk or boiled/pasrurized? What yogurt starter did you use? Did you use any probiotics?

We're experimenting with different yogurt starter bacteria and I'm considering adding a probiotic to my son's diet.

He can drink 3 oz of pasrurized goat milk 3-4 times a day.

However raw goat milk made his gut very upset. I gave him 1 tbsp. of raw milk. I found some info that if there is too much "bad bacteria" in the gut and not enough "good bacteria", you can't give raw milk. It will probably feed the bad bacteria.

We've been pushing back yeast with the diet and nystatin, which gave my son huge gains. But I think "Feast without yeast" diet doesn't give any advise on repopulating the gut with the good bacteria.

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:55 am

There was no milk, goat milk, yogurt, etc., at all. She had started with GFCF first, so she was already off dairy when she continued on to the SCD. If you think your child needs dairy, think about this, man is the only creature that consumes milk after weaning. But you're right about these children needing probiotics, their digestive systems are wrecked, and my grandchild's system was severely wrecked. Probiotics and digestive enzymes were used from the beginning. Store bought probiotics, not sure what is involved in making homemade probiotics, but found this link to SCD and Kids:
http://www.pecanbread.com/p/yogurt1.html
"Most children do tolerate the goat yogurt if it done the right way by starting out with a tiny amount and gradually increasing the amount. There is no risk in trying since the casein leaves the body after several days." Knowing my daughter, I know she would not have taken any risk of either tolerating yogurt or introducing casein during that time. My daughter was very strict with that diet, packed her food wherever they went, etc.

The SCD does allow fish although my grandchild didn't like fish. It says "Fresh and frozen are allowed as long as nothing has been added during processing; check the labels carefully." Have you figured out why farmed fish is different? That sounds like a big clue, wonder what they're feeding them or how they're processing them? Neither potatoes or rice are permitted on SCD, so grandchild didn't get either of them.

She also had huge gains on Nystatin. Also saw gains on cod liver oil and methyl B12. Grandchild is still on Nystatin, but dosage is half of what it was. Everything's about half. She's caught up developmentally with no signs of bowel problems, but as you can imagine, her parents are in no hurry and have been reducing supplements and adding foods back very slowly.

Hope this helps.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:04 pm

Grandmother wrote:There was no milk, goat milk, yogurt, etc., at all. She had started with GFCF first, so she was already off dairy when she continued on to the SCD. If you think your child needs dairy, think about this, man is the only creature that consumes milk after weaning. But you're right about these children needing probiotics, their digestive systems are wrecked, and my grandchild's system was severely wrecked. Probiotics and digestive enzymes were used from the beginning. Store bought probiotics, not sure what is involved in making homemade probiotics, but found this link to SCD and Kids:
"Most children do tolerate the goat yogurt if it done the right way by starting out with a tiny amount and gradually increasing the amount. There is no risk in trying since the casein leaves the body after several days." Knowing my daughter, I know she would not have taken any risk of either tolerating yogurt or introducing casein during that time. My daughter was very strict with that diet, packed her food wherever they went, etc.

The SCD does allow fish although my grandchild didn't like fish. It says "Fresh and frozen are allowed as long as nothing has been added during processing; check the labels carefully." Have you figured out why farmed fish is different? That sounds like a big clue, wonder what they're feeding them or how they're processing them? Neither potatoes or rice are permitted on SCD, so grandchild didn't get either of them.

She also had huge gains on Nystatin. Also saw gains on cod liver oil and methyl B12. Grandchild is still on Nystatin, but dosage is half of what it was. Everything's about half. She's caught up developmentally with no signs of bowel problems, but as you can imagine, her parents are in no hurry and have been reducing supplements and adding foods back very slowly.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm so happy for your grandchild! I absolutely agree strict diet is the key to success.

I also prepare food in advance and bring a lunch bag with food and nystatin with us everywhere.

May I ask what brands of probiotics does your grandchild take?

Some probiotics feed yeast and I am so afraid to give my son store bought probiotics. We tried D-lactate free probiotic from "Custom Probiotics" last summer and my son regressed a big time. Took us 3-4 months to get back to the same level.

My son is doing great but we cannot reduce his nystatin dose yet. He is not taking any probiotics and I think this is the reason we cannot reduce nystatin. We kill yeast but there is not enough good bacteria to repopulate the gut.

Goat milk has a different type of protein - it doesn't cause inflammation and it doesn't have negative effect on the gut and the brain. It's well tolarated by many children with autism. It has to be pasturized/boiled milk or homemade yogurt. Cheese and store bought yogurt have fermented bacteria my son couldn't tolerate.

You can search this forum for goat milk to read more about its benefits.

My son doesn't tolerate calcium supplement so goat milk is so great for him! He has more energy, he can better tolerate foods and nystatin when drinking goat milk.

Ultra pasturized goat milk is not good. It has to be from grass-fed goats and gently pasturized or boiled at home if you buy raw milk. We're in California and we found grass-fed goat milk from
a local farm that tastes just like cow milk. It has no aftertaste.

Cow milk has a different type of protein that causes inflammation in the gut.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:11 pm

Grandmother wrote:There was no milk, goat milk, yogurt, etc., at all. She had started with GFCF first, so she was already off dairy when she continued on to the SCD. If you think your child needs dairy, think about this, man is the only creature that consumes milk after weaning. But you're right about these children needing probiotics, their digestive systems are wrecked, and my grandchild's system was severely wrecked. Probiotics and digestive enzymes were used from the beginning. Store bought probiotics, not sure what is involved in making homemade probiotics, but found this link to SCD and Kids:

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm so happy for your grandchild! I absolutely agree strict diet is the key to success.

I also prepare food in advance and bring a lunch bag with food and nystatin with us everywhere.

May I ask what brands of probiotics does your grandchild take?

Did he eat any fruit when you've started the diet? Homemade pear and apple sauce? Boiled carrots? My son is mostly eating squash and he can eat 1/2 banana with black spots as advised on SCD.

Some probiotics feed yeast and I am so afraid to give my son store bought probiotics. We tried D-lactate free probiotic from "Custom Probiotics" last summer and my son regressed a big time. Took us 3-4 months to get back to the same level.

My son is doing great but we cannot reduce his nystatin dose yet. He is not taking any probiotics and I think this is the reason we cannot reduce nystatin. We kill yeast but there is not enough good bacteria to repopulate the gut.

Goat milk has a different type of protein - it doesn't cause inflammation and it doesn't have negative effect on the gut and the brain. It's well tolarated by many children with autism. It has to be pasturized/boiled milk or homemade yogurt. Cheese and store bought yogurt have fermented bacteria my son couldn't tolerate.

You can search this forum for goat milk to read more about its benefits.

My son doesn't tolerate calcium supplement so goat milk is so great for him! He has more energy, he can better tolerate foods and nystatin when drinking goat milk.

Ultra pasturized goat milk is not good. It has to be from grass-fed goats and gently pasturized or boiled at home if you buy raw milk. We're in California and we found grass-fed goat milk from
a local farm that tastes just like cow milk. It has no aftertaste.

Cow milk has a different type of protein that causes inflammation in the gut.

Thank you so much for your reply. It's so great to know that someone else had success and is recovering. I hope we'll be able to reduce nystatin soon. Perhaps we should replace potatoes and rice with something else in his diet...

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:05 pm

You remind me so much of my daughter. Stay determined. In the very beginning, daughter hired a nutritionist who said grandchild didn't need milk and that she was getting enough calcium from her diet, so never had to use calcium supplements or find a replacement milk. Nutritionist gave a great start to biomedical, but went no further than eliminating gluten, casein, corn, soy and additives, and adding digestive enzymes, probiotics, and Epsom salt baths. Daughter then continued on her own to the SCD.

If your child is doing great on goat milk, you can only go by how he's doing. Never had to investigate it, so have no idea how goat milk is different. She's eaten fruit all along, finger foods, so no pear or apple sauces. Never tried cooked carrots, but likes raw sliced carrots.

Changed probiotics a number of times based on different recommendations. Seems everyone has a different probiotic recommendation, different pharmacists, doctors, friends, etc. She never had a reaction to any of them. Given your son's reaction, don't know what to advise about probiotics. How long was he on it and how long until his reaction? Was anything else going on at the time that was different, swimming in a chemically treated pool, pesticide spraying nearby, new furniture, etc.?

If you can't crowd out the bad critters with probiotics, can try starving them out. If rice and potatoes are the only complex carbs he's consuming, can try eliminating them and see what happens.

Just as I was about to send this, I thought again about how your child couldn't tolerate the calcium supplements and how my grandchild had no extra calcium, so now wondering if there may be a connection with calcium. Do you mind telling me what was his reaction to those calcium supplements?

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”