Our success story with "Feast without Yeast" diet

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

varen2

Re: Our success story with "Feast without Yeast" diet

Postby varen2 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:39 am

Grandmother wrote:You remind me so much of my daughter. Stay determined. In the very beginning, daughter hired a nutritionist who said grandchild didn't need milk and that she was getting enough calcium from her diet, so never had to use calcium supplements or find a replacement milk. Nutritionist gave a great start to biomedical, but went no further than eliminating gluten, casein, corn, soy and additives, and adding digestive enzymes, probiotics, and Epsom salt baths. Daughter then continued on her own to the SCD.

If your child is doing great on goat milk, you can only go by how he's doing. Never had to investigate it, so have no idea how goat milk is different. She's eaten fruit all along, finger foods, so no pear or apple sauces. Never tried cooked carrots, but likes raw sliced carrots.

Changed probiotics a number of times based on different recommendations. Seems everyone has a different probiotic recommendation, different pharmacists, doctors, friends, etc. She never had a reaction to any of them. Given your son's reaction, don't know what to advise about probiotics. How long was he on it and how long until his reaction? Was anything else going on at the time that was different, swimming in a chemically treated pool, pesticide spraying nearby, new furniture, etc.?

If you can't crowd out the bad critters with probiotics, can try starving them out. If rice and potatoes are the only complex carbs he's consuming, can try eliminating them and see what happens.

Just as I was about to send this, I thought again about how your child couldn't tolerate the calcium supplements and how my grandchild had no extra calcium, so now wondering if there may be a connection with calcium. Do you mind telling me what was his reaction to those calcium supplements?

Thanks again for your reply. My son used to take Kirkman calcium powder without any problems. Then we got a new jar of the same supplement and he had aggression and stomache ache in the mornings after taking it. I saw a similar post about Lirkman calcium supplement here, apparently calcium citrate is better tolerated. Calcium carbonate can cause aggression. This is not an issue right now as he drinks pasturized goat milk every day.

I found L. plantarum strain doesn't feed yeast. It can colonize the gut with good bacteria and has anti immflammatory effect. My son gets much calmer and feels better when he takes it. We're getting some on Tuesday.

L. Acidophilus strain feeds yeast big time. We can't take it. My son has too much bifidum bacterium in his stool as well, so we should stay away from this strain.

Calturelle probiotic has a strain that suppresses Candida and can colonize the gut with good bacteria. It also helps other strains of bacteria in the gut to grow.

What probiotic brands did your grandchild take? Did you try Culturelle brand? I believe this one doesn't feed yeast. I wonder if we should try Culturelle (Lactobacillus rhamnosus strain) as my son's stool test shows he has no lactobacillus strains present in his stool.

He's been potatoe-free and almost rice-free for 4 months I think. But when I try to low his nystatin dose, he gets worse. I think the absence of probiotic is what's hurting him. He has no good bacteria to fight yeast back. So, he is eating well now including potatoes and lots of veggies, fish, chicken and eggs, milk, bananas and a bit of rice. I need him to be in a good physical shape to run around and exercise :)))

I'm adding homemade kefir/yogurt with probiotics this week, will report back when we get some results with them.

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:35 am

Culturelle was the probiotic she ended up with after reading that it's a yeast-fighter. Didn't see any reaction one way or the other, so have no idea if it really does fight yeast. Have read that probiotics may not colonize, but give benefits while they're being used and compete for food.

Grandchild had a die-off reaction after eliminating the last complex carb, which confirmed for her parents that the harder-to-digest complex carbs were feeding bad stuff. The SCD diet worked for her and healed her digestive system, but complex carbs may not be a problem for your child.

I've only scratched the surface, but it seems that glutamate toxicity allows calcium into the brain. This makes me think that the dairy-free diet may work by not only restricting casein, but also calcium. However, your child might be calcium deficient or need goat milk for other reasons, just wanted to caution you that calcium is involved for some children and may want to check his calcium levels.
Here's one article saying these children have more calcium in their brains.
http://www.autismcalciumchannelopathy.com/index.html

Parents never tried to lower the Nystatin dose until after her digestive system was healed and she could regulate her own intestinal biome, but sure she also would have gotten worse without it before she was healed. These children are a medical mess, but hey, they've been "saved" from the "scary" mild childhood diseases of measles, mumps, and rubella. But they still can get these "scary" diseases anyway. Insanity!

Best wishes.

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:49 am

Doesn't cultruella contain maltodextrin? Which is a huge no on the Feast without Yeast? I have heard great stuff about this probiotic but when I saw this, I thought it wouldn't work. Maybe I am missing something. Still would like to try it.

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Sorry about the confusion. My grandchild wasn't on the Feast Without Yeast diet, she was on the SCD diet, so I have no idea what isn't permitted on the Feast Without Yeast diet. If you are using the Feast Without Yeast diet and it doesn't permit maldodextrin (haven't googled it yet, so don't know what that is), then forget about using it. Best wishes.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:29 am

Sheri wrote:Doesn't cultruella contain maltodextrin? Which is a huge no on the Feast without Yeast? I have heard great stuff about this probiotic but when I saw this, I thought it wouldn't work. Maybe I am missing something. Still would like to try it.

It contains maltodextrin. I did a lot of research on this and found 3 strains that suppress and even kill Candida:

L. Plantarum
L. Rhamnosus
L. Reuteri

L. Plantarum seem to be the strongest.

There is a recipe from Debaxter about making yogurt from probiotic. I'm sure Culturelle can be used as a starter in a yogurt. Someone else posted on this forum success when using 4 oz grade A pasturized milk heated to 100F, 1 tbsp honey and 1 capsule of Culturelle. You need to keep this mix on the countertop for 24 hours. If it's winter, you'll need to keep the mix in a warm place, in a blanket or inside the stove with the light on. The light will keep it warm.

I had success fermenting L. Plantarum from powder. No success with Culturelle, but I didn't use honey and I used too much milk.

Honey and maltodextrin will be eaten by the bacteria so there will be no sugar in the yogurt after 24 hours of fermentation.

Yogurt is more potent. You'll need to start giving 1/2 to 1 tsp of yogurt twice a day.

Here is a recipe from Debaxter:

http://autismweb.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... rt#p173292

It's best to avoid bifidum strains as well as strep strains in yogurt or probiotic. Most autistic kids have bifidum and strep overgrowth and they don't react well to these two strains.

My son can drink goats pasturized milk. I tried making goat yogurt with pasturized milk and it works great. Don't use ultra-pasturized milk, it's not good for making yogurt.

We also tried making Coconut water kefir with Kefir starter from The Body Ecology diet. My son did well wth this kefir. It has L.Plantarum bacteria in it. Right now, we're making kefir with goat milk using Kefir starter (the Body Ecology Diet). It works great for my son, me and my husband. It's great kefir and I highly recommend it.

My son takes 2-3 tbsp of this kefir mixed with mashed banana.

GI Prostart probiotic starter recommended by SCD diet didn't work for me. I felt really bad when I took it. Bloated, tired, and feeling awful. I'm also taking nystatin and follow Feast without yeast diet stage 2. I'm trying everything myself before giving it to my son. I didn't even try giving it to him.

I also took Culturelle capsule today and I'm not feeling well. I had some stomach discomfort, and was really tired. I'll keep taking Culturelle for a few more days and report back.

I gave my son l. Reuteri (BioGaia brand) with mixed results. I think his eye contact was better and he said some new words, but he was very silly for 2 days now. I wonder if it feeds yeast or just a coinsidence. I think the recommended dose in BioGaia brand (100 million bacteria daily) is too low.

Also, my son can eat very ripe (almost black with lots of black spots) bananas. He can also eat blanched almond flour. We tried them based on SCD diet recommendations. They are not allowed on "Feast without Yeast" diet. This is really great, I can use almond flour instead of rice flour now.

I do think that a combination of both, SCD and "Feast without Yeast" is best. To fight Candida, you need to limit rice and only eat red potatoes, steamed and eaten cold (potato salad). Somehow, steamed cold potatoes don't have all that starch. Starch in cold potatoes has glue like texture and doesn't feed yeast.

A few notes..I bought very fresh almonds, steamed them for 5 minutes to remove the outer skin, and then used a grinder to make almond flour. I've seen many sources stating that store bought flours are moldy. They get moldy on a 3rd day of grinding due to some moisture left in them. I guess rice flour is ok because rice is very dry.

When introducing new foods, it's best to start slow and give no more than 1 tsp slowly increasing the amount every day. I've seen my son getting slightly quiet and slow for 2 hours with new foods. If you see such a slight reaction, just keep giving 1 tsp a day. Once 1 tsp is well tolerated, increase to 2 tsp and so on.

This is how I introduced egg yolks, avocado, goat milk, very ripe bananas and now blanched almond flour to my son's diet.

crazydaddy

Postby crazydaddy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Hello - any updates on your son? How is he doing now?

In our case we started the GFCFSF diet and saw huge improvements...considering the Feast Without Yeast diet and have ordered and received the yellow book already.

Any other thoughts on this diet? Looks like it works in conjunction with the Nystatin and then fine-tune the diet and nystatin dose?

Thanks!

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:10 am

I think is better to use buckwheat and/or quinoa instead of potatoes.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:18 am

jaumeb wrote:I think is better to use buckwheat and/or quinoa instead of potatoes.

Why is that? These kind of grains need a lot of preparation that potatoes don't need

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:14 am

Nikkie111 wrote:Why is that? These kind of grains need a lot of preparation that potatoes don't need

Based on my own experiments, I got the impression that pseudograins like quinoa/buckwheat could be better than potatoes. Nothing conclusive, though. I'd love to read about other people's experiences.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:30 pm

crazydaddy wrote:Hello - any updates on your son? How is he doing now?

In our case we started the GFCFSF diet and saw huge improvements...considering the Feast Without Yeast diet and have ordered and received the yellow book already.

Any other thoughts on this diet? Looks like it works in conjunction with the Nystatin and then fine-tune the diet and nystatin dose?

Thanks!

Hi, two parents contacted me saying their kids don't have yeast overgrowth. I saw one OAT test from a parent and the yeast marker was low.

I suggest doing OAT test and Comprehensive Stool test prior to introducing Nystatin.
If the marker called "arabinose" is elevated significantly on the OAT test, then it makes sense to try Nystatin.
Arabinose is the indicator of yeast on the test. It's a by-product of Candida in urine.

If your child has only bacterial overgrowth, I would advise to look into SCD diet. It's the best diet for bacterial overgrowth.

Nystatin is a powerful drug and once you start it, you shouldn't stop the treatment. If you stop the treatment for a few days, Yeast will grow back and might get even worse than before.

I would try to use "The body ecology kefir starter" first fermented in Goat Milk. Coconut version of this kefir didn't work for us. This Kefir starter has beneficial yeasts that can naturally eradicate Candida. Start with 1 tsp of yogurt twice a day on an empty stomach. Increase the dose as needed trying to get to 4oz of yogurt twice or three times a day.

The treatment with Nystatin should be done over the course of a few years. Only try Nystatin if Kefir doesn't give positive results. In my experience, Nystatin kills some beneficial yeasts in the gut as well. Although it was the most important treatment for my son, looking back, I would try "the Body Ecology Kefir" first. My son still takes Nystatin every day (7 times a day to be precise). He cannot tolerate the full dose so I have to split each dose into two doses (so he gets 7 small doses of Nystatin daily).

We introduced Goat Colostrum from Mt Capra a few months ago and it's been great for my son.
A huge boost we got was from colostrum (raw, camel). The Camel Dairy doesn't have any more right now so we can't buy any more. But we're getting a similar effect that lasts (he is just getting better) with powder goat colostrum (Mt. Capra brand). If you google colostrum, you will see that it heals leaky gut. I think when colonies of bad bacteria die, the intestinal walls are exposed. They have holes and they have to be restored with a layer of cells (the type of cells found in colostrum). Without this layer of cells, good bacteria cannot establish colonies and start growing. Restoring that layer is very important.

Your child might not be there yet (if he still has a lot of bad bacteria and no exposed walls), you might not see the same results right away. But colostrum is also good for all sorts of things. My son doesn't get colds, he has more energy, no running nose. I think colostrum helps get rid of bad strep bacteria as well.

Mt. Capra colostrum powder is a mix of dry colostrum granules and dry goat milk. I found that giving my son Colostrum powder has mixed results. You never know how much of colostrum granules was in that dose of goat milk powder. The colostrum itself is clear or white granules. I use a sieve to separate colostrum granules from goat milk powder. When I sift powder through a sieve, I only have colostrum granules left.

Then I use very sensitive weights to measure 10 mg of colostrum:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ESHDG ... 1PIBKZ0_ri

We've started with 10 mg of colostrum granules 2 months ago and now he takes 55 mg twice a day.
I give it twice a day on an empty stomach 30 minutes before food. I give colostrum with probiotic. We're using "L. Plantarum" probiotic from Custom Probiotics right now.

L. Plantarum child dose (child scoop is provided with probiotic) was too low for my son. If you don't see any results, double the dose. My son is currently taking 3 child scoops twice a day. Start with half a scopp and work your way up. The appropriate dose is when your child's gut is not stressed (no gas or bloating). If you see gas or bloating, reduce the dose of probiotic.

L. Plantarum bacteria from Custom Probiotics does not feed Candida. It's safe to use with Nystatin.

It's a huge boost for his speech. We stopped homeopathic remedies, such as Carcinosin, because it does the same thing as colostrum, and he can't take them at the same time.

Camel milk can also interfere with colostrum. If you give them together, you'll need to work out the appropriate dose. Too much will make your child cranky, too little won't have any effect.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:23 pm

varen2@gmail.com wrote:Hi,

My son has been on "Feast without Yeast" diet and Nystatin for 5 months now and he is almost free of all autistic symptoms.

For parents considering a diet, "Feast without Yeast" diet is BETTER than GFCFSF, GAPS or SCD diet. Apparently, SCD diet as well as others include foods full of mold and toxins which cause repetitiveness, slow brain function, and promote yeast overgrowth.

My son was very autistic and had no speech when he was 2 years old. He was extremely repetitive. He no longer made eye contact, no longer seemed to hear. He started having 5-10 tantrums per day and he would wake up every night screaming and head-banging on the floor. He had dark circles under his eyes, pale skin and a fear of separation with mother. He was lining up cars in a long line, later he was replacing toys from one box to another. He stopped saying "Hi" and "Buy". He stopped pointing at objects.

My son is now 2 years and 9 months old, and he is almost free of any autistic symptoms. He is saying 6-8 word sentences, his eye contact is excellent. He follows my directions, he is curious about everything. Some days he is a bit repetitive (he is not completely free of yeast yet). But most days he is a normal kid, he is progressing, learning, and just being a happy boy. Right now he is learning language just like a normal kid. He is repeating, rephrasing sentences, and asking questions. He has a great sense of humor, he understands emotions. His role play is amazing, he recreates stories from books with toys..

When my son started a GFDFSF diet, he was getting better. His eye contact got better and he was generally more with us. However, he had some bad days and some good days. Something was setting him off.

We tried multivitamins, probiotics and GFDFSF diet. It helped somehow, but didn't treat autistic symptoms completely.
With "Feast without Yeast" diet and Nystatin, we had immediate and noticeable results. I believe that with this diet my son will be free of all autistic symptoms within a year or so.

Author of this diet, Dr. Bruce Semon has an autistic son. He treated his son and since then many other kids. He says that his diet and treatment worked for every autistic kid he's ever treated.

My son had an OAT Urine test, Stool test and Hair test for heavy metals from the Great Plains Laboratory.

An OAT Urine test showed high levels of waste product of Candida yeast overgrowth.
Stool test didn't show Candida yeast , and in most cases stool test doesn't detect yeast.
Hair test for heavy metals didn't show heavy metals.

"Feast without Yeast" diet is not as difficult or strict as SCD diet. However, this is a long-term treatment. Most kids have to stay on this diet for a few years. It works so well for my son and I believe this will help other children as much as it helped my son.

A few notes on the diet:

1) Diet works only in combination with Nystatin. Nystatin kills bad bacteria in the gut and lets the gut to heal over time.
Diet doesn't work on it's own.
1/3 of success is due to the diet and 2/3 of success is due to Nystatin.

2) All multivitamins and especially vitamin B have to be discontinued. They interract with Nystatin and it doesn't work if vitamins are taken during the treatment. Vitamin B6 and B12 are made from yeast (or made with the help of yeast), so you're pouring gasoline on the fire when you take high-dose Bs (like B6 or B12) orally.

3) You need to read the book "Feast without Yeast" to implement the diet. 

4) Probiotic cannot be taken with Nystatin. We just tried to introduce a "D-Lactate free" probiotic to my son and we had a major set back. It's best not to take probiotics.

A few notes on Nystatin:

1) We got Nystatin prescription from our regular pediatrician. We showed him OAT Urine test results and the book "Feast without Yeast". He gave us the prescription and 3 refills without any problems. We came back for another prescription with my son and showed him the progress my son is making with Nystatin. He was surprised by his progress, and gave us a second prescription with 2 refills.
Nystatin is a very safe antifungal, it's sold without prescription in Germany.

2) You have to make sure your child gets a full dose of Nystatin every day. The drug tastes bad. You can mix Nystatin with some pure raw honey to mask the taste. I had to use a syringe to spray this drug to my son's mouth when we've just started. He takes it without any problems now. I also used to give him stickers every time he took Nystatin and he would forget about the "aftertaste" right away.

This is the only way to give Nystatin to your child. Giving it with water or with other vitamins won't work. Your child will probably refuse to take it as it's bitter.

The recommended Nystatin dose is 500 000 Units 4 times a day. If your child gets aggressive after taking a full dose, give 250 000 Units 8 times a day.
You need to start with a small dose (100 000 Units 4 times a day) and slowly increase the dose every 4-5 days.

500 000 units of Nystatin powder is approximately 80mg of powder. You will need to buy special sensitive weights (we got ours for $22 on Amazon, weights for jewellery). My son cannot tolerate a full dose of Nystatin.
We have aggressive reaction to a full dose. I have to split it in half.
My son takes 250 000 Units (or 40mg) 7 times a day ( slightly less than a recommended daily dose).

Pure powder form is very strong. It has to be given with food.

Try to change your child diet according to this article by Dr. Bruce Semon:
http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/bo ... sect2.html
(Please don't use Nystatin dose recommendations from this ebook. The recommended dose in this ebook is too high. It has to be 500 000 Units 4 times a day)

If you see positive changes on Stage 4 of "Feast without Yeast" diet, then go ahead and find the way to get prescription for Nystatin.

A few notes on my son's diet.
Right now he is feeling so much better, I can immediately see if some foods set him back.

Food.
My son is doing great with:
White rice, red lentils, red skin potatoes (no yellow skin potatoes, he reacts to them).
Cauliflower, cucumber, broccoli, avocado, kale, asparagus, any other green veggies.
Veal, wild Salmon in small doses every day.
Acorn squash.
Pure raw honey (not heated). He reacts to heated honey. Therefore, I bake rice muffins without honey and put some raw honey on muffins once they are cold.

Salmon only wild caught. My son cannot eat farm-raised fish. It has some toxins or something else that makes him sick.

Snacks:
Snapeas Crisps lightly salted;
Seaweed;
Brown Rice crackers (nothing else added)

He is reacting badly to everything else including beans, yellow zucchini, sweet potato, yellow skin potato, some yellow vegetables, all fruit.

UPDATE 1,5 YEARS LATER ON THIS DIET.

Just a few words about this diet and our progress. My son is doing great, but we're now doing something between "Feast without Yeast" and SCD Diet.
I would strongly advice to read SCD diet as well, I think it's a great diet as well as "Feast without Yeast" excluding dried fruit, mashrooms, and carrots..

After 1,5 yeasr, I disagree with some points of "Feast without Yeast" diet, in particular:

1) White rice should be limited to very small quantities (white rice flour for baking is ok), but it's best to avoid brown rice. Brown rice has more arsenic. Also, brown rice might not be tolerated by some kids. My son can't tolerate brown rice.

2) Rice from Thiland has less arsenic than rice from USA or other countries.

3) Rice is very starchy, it's best to use just a little bit every day. Too much rice will feed yeast.

4) Potatoes - use red potatoes only. They have less starch. It's best to steam potatoes for 10-15 minutes and let them cool completely under cover.
Cold potatoes seem to have less starch and it doesn't feed yeast as such. I use cold boiled potatoes mixed with chicken, avocado, cucumber, green salad leaves.

5) Acorn squash is our staple food. It has no sugar and my son can eat 1 acorn squash a day (boiled and mashed, or mixed with some rice and fried as pancakes). Acorn squash has to be dark green. Yellowish acorn squash has some sugar in it.

6) My son cannot eat carrots, spaghetti squash, butternut squash or sweet potatoes - they all have too much sugar. I would avoid them for now.

7) Fish not allowed on stage 4, but my son can eat WILD caught fish. Very bad aggressive reaction to farmed fish though.

9) Lentils and Beans might not be tolerated right away. If you see a reaction, don't introduce yet.
Frozen green peas boiled in large quantity of water for a long time (20 minutes at least) is well tolerated by my kid.

10) Eggs are not allowed on stage 4, but my son can eat egg yolks. I have to fry eggs and carefully remove the whites. You might want to try to reintroduce egg yolks later. He cannot eat store bought eggs. We're getting eggs from pasture=raised grass and veggie fed chickens from a local market.

Introduce Nystatin only when you're happy with the diet and the diet is working well. Nystatin will give die off effect and it will be difficult to see if it's a food intolerance or a die off reaction. Nystatin should be in a pure powder form only. Pills might not be strong enough.
Once you start Nystatin, you shouldn't stop it. Stopping Nystatin even for a few days might make yeast worse. Once you start taking Nystatin, make sure to renew prescriptions and get Nystatin in advance. We had difficulties obtaining Nystain powder from our sources here in the USA recently.
We're getting Nystatin by mail from Germany right now (no prescription needed in Europe, this drug is considered very safe). We have someone buying Nystatin in Germany and sending it to us by regular mail. We state "probiotic" on the declaration form and it gets through the US customs without any problems.

If you don't see positive results on this diet, you might want to consider SCD diet. I believe some kids might have bacterial overgrowth (bifidum bacterium in particular) rather than yeast overgrowth. SCD diet is better for bacterial overgrowth. SCD diet is much stricter, but after Feast without Yeast diet, your child will be less picky about foods and introducing a more strict diet will be possible.

GAPS is a very bad idea in my opinion. Bone broth is a source of glutamate, and all heavy metals are washed out from the bones to the broth. Plus fat from the meat and the bones is hard to digest. When my son was feeling better, I tried giving him chicken and veal broth made from grass-fed, grass-finished chicken/veal. He was SO MUCH WORSE. The reaction was much worse than from many other "mild" foods. Also, fermented vegetables used in GAPS if eaten in large quantities can feed yeast. My son could take 1/4 tsp of juice from fermented vegetables. That's it. More than 1/4 th of a teaspoon would feed yeast.

Our resent discovery is Raw Camel Milk. It helps clean liver, it fights bad bacteria in the gut. Please search this forum for Camel milk.
Pasteurized Goat Milk is also great. 3 oz three times a day. Goat milk is high in sugar so shouldn't be taken more than 3 oz at a time.
Don't give raw goat milk or raw goat milk yogurt. My son had upset stomach and diarrhea with raw goat milk.

Camel and goat milk have Beta protein as opposed to Alpha protein in cows milk. Alpha protein is a big problem for our kids. However, Beta protein is well tolerated by many people who cannot tolerate cow milk. Of course, childer with anaphylactic reaction to milk shouldn't try goat or camel milk.
My son cannot tolerate cow milk, but he does very well with goat milk.
If you consider raw camel milk, start slow with 1 tbs twice a day. It's very powerful and should be given in a small dose.

Goat colostrum powder - this has been amazing. Great speech, he feels much better much happier, better tolerance of foods.
Colostrum has Lactoferrin - a protein that has antibacterial qualities. It's also a building material for the intestinal wall. It helps a lot with a "leaky gut", that's why it's so great. Colostrum might not seem to work at first, but once the yeast dies off, lactoferring will be help rebuild the intestinal wall. I think this is the missing link I've been looking for.
Colostrum is very powerful. You need to start with 10mg of colostrum.
Higher dose might create irritability or too much die off.

Colostrum has the same effect as Carcinosin (homeopahty), but no side effects. It's been so great that we stopped giving him Carcinosin and Carcinosin was amazing for us. My son had great gains with this remedy.

So far probiotics and Vitamins B were really bad for us. I had my son in such a great shape, and both times we had huge regression with:
Vitamins B,
D-lactate free probiotic,
BioGaia probiotic.
I would advice to stay away from these probiotics and all Vitamin B supplements.
Other immuno stimulating supplements also seem to feed yeast.

You can take Vit D in olive oil and High Quality fish oil. Fish oil seem to interfere with Nystatin, but I think it's ok to take Fish oil for a few months on the introduction diet.

Good luck!

IMPORTANT UPDATE from 03/23/2017:

Two parents contacted me saying their kids don't have yeast overgrowth. I saw one OAT test from a parent and the yeast marker was low.

I suggest doing OAT test and Comprehensive Stool test prior to introducing Nystatin.
If the marker called "arabinose" is elevated significantly on the OAT test, then it makes sense to try Nystatin.
Arabinose is the indicator of yeast on the test. It's a by-product of Candida in urine.

If your child has only bacterial overgrowth, I would advise to look into SCD diet. It's the best diet for bacterial overgrowth.

Nystatin is a powerful drug and once you start it, you shouldn't stop the treatment. If you stop the treatment for a few days, Yeast will grow back and might get even worse than before.

I would try to use "The body ecology kefir starter" first fermented in Goat Milk. Coconut version of this kefir didn't work for us. This Kefir starter has beneficial yeasts that can naturally eradicate Candida. Start with 1 tsp of yogurt twice a day on an empty stomach. Increase the dose as needed trying to get to 4oz of yogurt twice or three times a day.

The treatment with Nystatin should be done over the course of a few years. Only try Nystatin if Kefir doesn't give positive results. In my experience, Nystatin kills some beneficial yeasts in the gut as well. Although it was the most important treatment for my son, looking back, I would try "the Body Ecology Kefir" first. My son still takes Nystatin every day (7 times a day to be precise). He cannot tolerate the full dose so I have to split each dose into two doses (so he gets 7 small doses of Nystatin daily).

We introduced Goat Colostrum from Mt Capra a few months ago and it's been great for my son.
A huge boost we got was from colostrum (raw, camel). The Camel Dairy doesn't have any more right now so we can't buy any more. But we're getting a similar effect that lasts (he is just getting better) with powder goat colostrum (Mt. Capra brand). If you google colostrum, you will see that it heals leaky gut. I think when colonies of bad bacteria die, the intestinal walls are exposed. They have holes and they have to be restored with a layer of cells (the type of cells found in colostrum). Without this layer of cells, good bacteria cannot establish colonies and start growing. Restoring that layer is very important.

Your child might not be there yet (if he still has a lot of bad bacteria and no exposed walls), you might not see the same results right away. But colostrum is also good for all sorts of things. My son doesn't get colds, he has more energy, no running nose. I think colostrum helps get rid of bad strep bacteria as well.

Mt. Capra colostrum powder is a mix of dry colostrum granules and dry goat milk. I found that giving my son Colostrum powder has mixed results. You never know how much of colostrum granules was in that dose of goat milk powder. The colostrum itself is clear or white granules. I use a sieve to separate colostrum granules from goat milk powder. When I sift powder through a sieve, I only have colostrum granules left.

Then I use very sensitive weights to measure 10 mg of colostrum:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ESHDG ... 1PIBKZ0_ri

We've started with 10 mg of colostrum granules 2 months ago and now he takes 55 mg twice a day.
I give it twice a day on an empty stomach 30 minutes before food. I give colostrum with probiotic. We're using "L. Plantarum" probiotic from Custom Probiotics right now.

L. Plantarum child dose (child scoop is provided with probiotic) was too low for my son. If you don't see any results, double the dose. My son is currently taking 3 child scoops twice a day. Start with half a scopp and work your way up. The appropriate dose is when your child's gut is not stressed (no gas or bloating). If you see gas or bloating, reduce the dose of probiotic.

L. Plantarum bacteria from Custom Probiotics does not feed Candida. It's safe to use with Nystatin.

It's a huge boost for his speech. We stopped homeopathic remedies, such as Carcinosin, because it does the same thing as colostrum, and he can't take them at the same time.

Camel milk can also interfere with colostrum. If you give them together, you'll need to work out the appropriate dose. Too much will make your child cranky, too little won't have any effect.

Camel Milk was great for us for a few months. However, right now we see aggression with Camels Milk. We stopped giving Camels Milk on a daily basis and only give Camels Milk once every few days to cleanse liver. I suggest starting Camels Milk with the intro diet to cleanse liver, then stopping or reducing Camels Milk after a few months or when aggressive reaction to Camels milk is observed. After Camels Milk, you can switch to Goat Colostrum. Goat Colostrum, Camel Milk, as well as Carcinosin and Mercurious Corrosivus (homeopathic remedies) all have the same effect. Don't give them at the same time.

In my opinion, homeopathic remedy would be helpful only if your child has a serious allergy to Goat Milk and Camel Milk.
70% of autistic kids with reactions to cow milk and casein can tolerate Camel milk and Goat Milk. This is due to a different type of protein in Goat Milk and Camel Milk. My son cannot have cow milk, but he drinks Goat Milk daily. He can't have goat cheese or store bough goat yogurt (due to histamine intolerance).

If you can't give Goat Milk Colostrum, then consider homeopathy.

Good luck!

Applesaucer

Postby Applesaucer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi Varen2, thank you very much for sharing your experiences - it's extremely useful. We'd reached a plateau with 3 courses of Nystatin for ds (6yrs ). We were seeing a sudden uptick in irritability, anger levels and some aggression only at home. Your post provided some critical insights about B vitamin interactions with Nystatin.
We've stopped Nystatin now and what's working to stem the irritability ( in the short term) is DMG 75mg with vit B12 + Methyl Folate. Having trouble getting in vitamin B6 in any form. Discontinuing Kirkman Lab's chewable vit B6+ Mg. The Sucralose listed as ingredient apparently seems to trigger his irritability. (This has happened with other supplements containing sucralose).

We had started with Carcinosin and and Gaertner (from John M !) with similar effects - high fever, but we saw a sudden reduction in irritability & tantrums; he seemed very listless at times which was worrying, general loss of appetite, and then picked up a cold and cough - which seemed to coincide with his brother's' cough coming to an end. We weren't sure if ds's cough and cold was an infection picked from his brother or because of the homeopathic pills - probably both. But it seemed too much for him to handle. So we have stopped the medication for a few days for him to recover and then do a restart.

Thanks.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:21 am

Applesaucer wrote:Hi Varen2, thank you very much for sharing your experiences - it's extremely useful. We'd reached a plateau with 3 courses of Nystatin for ds (6yrs ). We were seeing a sudden uptick in irritability, anger levels and some aggression only at home. Your post provided some critical insights about B vitamin interactions with Nystatin.
We've stopped Nystatin now and what's working to stem the irritability ( in the short term) is DMG 75mg with vit B12 + Methyl Folate. Having trouble getting in vitamin B6 in any form. Discontinuing Kirkman Lab's chewable vit B6+ Mg. The Sucralose listed as ingredient apparently seems to trigger his irritability. (This has happened with other supplements containing sucralose).

We had started with Carcinosin and and Gaertner (from John M !) with similar effects - high fever, but we saw a sudden reduction in irritability & tantrums; he seemed very listless at times which was worrying, general loss of appetite, and then picked up a cold and cough - which seemed to coincide with his brother's' cough coming to an end. We weren't sure if ds's cough and cold was an infection picked from his brother or because of the homeopathic pills - probably both. But it seemed too much for him to handle. So we have stopped the medication for a few days for him to recover and then do a restart.

Thanks.

We stopped Gaertner approximately 1 month after trying it. I think its a good homeopathy to start with, but then it just stopped working for us. I think Gaertner was making my son's gut inflammation much worse. He had mouth ulcers from Gaertner and they usually mean there is inflammation in the gut. We used Mercurious Corrosivus with AMAZING results. Ask John to try Mercurious Corrosivus remedy instead of Gaertner. Mercurious Corrosivus reduces inflammation in the gut.

We tried Fish oil, vitamin A and Vitamin B 12 (oral drops) after being 2 years on Nystatin. I can confirm that all of them made his Candida issues much worse on a second day (48 hours after taking a vitamin).

Irritability with Nystatin might be a die-off effect from dying candida/bacteria. If you decide to start Nystatin, you should start very slow with a small dose. If you see too much irritability, just reduce the dose. The right dose is the key here. Too much will certainly make your son too cranky and aggressive.

With Carcinosin, my son was very sensitive to a dose. I had to adjust the dose slightly based on my son's wellbeing. With the right dose, irritability lasted for 2 hours, then he would get much better. If irritability lasts more than 2 hours, I think you should reduce the dose slightly. So my dose was slightly different that the one suggested by John.

We stopped Carcinosin when we tried Goat colostrum. It does the same thing but without such bad downtime. If you decide to try Goat colostrum, you need to be very careful with the dose. It's so powerful. My son started with 10mg of Goat colostrum on an empty stomach 2 times a day. You'll need sensitive weights to measure 10mg of colostrum as it's very little.

We couldn't use Carcinosin with colostrum - they do the same thing. So taking both was too much for my son.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:37 am

Applesaucer wrote:Hi Varen2, thank you very much for sharing your experiences - it's extremely useful. We'd reached a plateau with 3 courses of Nystatin for ds (6yrs ). We were seeing a sudden uptick in irritability, anger levels and some aggression only at home. Your post provided some critical insights about B vitamin interactions with Nystatin.

Thanks.

What helps with irritability from Nystatin for my son is homemade kefir and raw camels milk.

Raw camels milk 5 to 10 ml once every 3 days.

Homemade kefir made with Goat Milk and The Body Ecology Culture Starter (http://bodyecology.com/weight-loss-vege ... arter.html)
2 to 5 ml of homemade kefir twice a day on an empty stomach.

The Body Ecology Culture Starter is for fermenting vegetables, but we use this starter to make kefir.

The Body Ecology Kefir starter that should be used for Kefir doesn't work for us. My son has high histamine levels and The Body Ecology Kefir starter has some strains that make him really sick (stomach ache, runny stools). Most kids with Candida issues have high histamine levels because Candida produces histamine in the gut. Therefore, I would not recommend using The Body Ecology Kefir starter with Candida issues.

Applesaucer

Postby Applesaucer » Fri May 05, 2017 2:40 am

@varen2, camel's milk worked for irritability. Need to tweak dosage and schedule to see consistent results. Thanks again.

Applesaucer

Postby Applesaucer » Wed May 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Stopped camel' milk. Calming initially but provoked severe irritation of the gut, with tantrums at night - which was what used to happen when ds took casein/cow's milk products. He's been on a gfcf diet for a long time.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”