Speech help

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

antoine

Re: Speech help

Postby antoine » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:02 pm

I started the coconut kefir last week, he seems to tolerate it just fine (infact i am giving him three tea spoons daily and haven't seen any die-off) maybe i should try tablespoons?

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:10 pm

Thanks varen for all the additional details. I stuck to SCD for 6 1/2 years. Then I introduced potato and white rice. Now I think the white rice was a mistake. Changed to brown rice. So I am close to a "feast without yeast" diet using lentils, potatoes and brown rice as staples. Currently experimenting with buckwheat. I use the cooking instructions of the Weston Price Foundation. I am not using nystatin, although I tried it in the past (while scd).

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:29 am

antoine wrote:At the monent of using Nystatin we were not supplementing anything (not even probiotics) so how somebody can be SURE what is our problem? Autism is complex, nobody can prescribe the same remedy for everybody.

Well, We received the OAT test results, and well no surprise why my son is still no-verbal...it is a MESS!
He has high oxalates, low b viramins, arabinose yeast and also bacteria, Malabsorption and dysbiosis, he is not detoxing well... So our case is not only the yeast...
We have to address the bacteria at the same time while we are treating the yeast, otherwise we will have bad bacteria flare ups.

I'm sorry to hear about the test results. I looked at my son's OAT test results and he also had high oxalates, low B3 vitamin and somewhat low other B vitamins (but not too low), arabinose yeast and high markers for bacteria. There was also other stuff in the test probably malabsorbtion.

We did another OAT test after being 6 months on the diet and Nystatin. The test showed high oxalates (went down but still was high), high arabinose yeast (went down as well), but bacteria markers were normal. He had low Vit C and low Vit B2.

I think he is still low in Vit C, but I'm trying to give him foods high in Vit C instead of supplementing.

Despite the test results, I still think my son has some bad bacteria in his gut. He's started drinking Camel Milk with AMAZING results. Camel milk is a natural antibacterial and antifungal. Please search this forum for "camel milk" to see if this would work for your child. It's a natural antibacterial and has no negative effect. It has casein but it's a different type of casein that does not cause inflammation in the gut. It's well tolerated by most autistic kids on a dairy-free diet.

For yeast you can try Saccharomyces Boulardii. I think it works really well for yeast. I hope you find what works for your child soon.

antoine

Postby antoine » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi Friends,

I wanted to write an update on my son's condition. he is 3.6 now, still completely non-verbal he uses PECS, still a very happy kid, no tantrums or OCD whatsoever. We have tried tons of interventions and his receptive is coming along nicely, he obeys simple commands and understands more everyday.
ST thinks apraxia.

On the other hand, now I know my son has overactive immune system, most supplements and interventions have tap-water affect on him (no positive or negative at all) I would love to start him on LDN and antivirals.

Our biggest intervention has been ACC (69 rounds in) and HBOT (Mild at home).
Please share if you have a similar kid, whose main issue is speech, and never gets sick.

Thanks!!

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:10 pm

antoine wrote:Hi Friends,

I wanted to write an update on my son's condition. he is 3.6 now, still completely non-verbal he uses PECS, still a very happy kid, no tantrums or OCD whatsoever. We have tried tons of interventions and his receptive is coming along nicely, he obeys simple commands and understands more everyday.
ST thinks apraxia.

On the other hand, now I know my son has overactive immune system, most supplements and interventions have tap-water affect on him (no positive or negative at all) I would love to start him on LDN and antivirals.

Our biggest intervention has been ACC (69 rounds in) and HBOT (Mild at home).
Please share if you have a similar kid, whose main issue is speech, and never gets sick.

Thanks!!

Have you checked your son for allergies? Or, have you tried gluten-free casein-free diet? Often kids with apraxia have food allergies and start talking after the offending foods are removed https://vimeo.com/112063892 I still recommend an EEG test. My son periodically regressed in his speech due to his abnormal EEG until we started him on anti-seizure meds. I think what is happening is that histamine leads to brain inflammation which causes abnormal EEG. Tuning the immune system away from fighting allergies can also help, but I would first start eliminating foods-allergens. My son didn't benefit from GFCF but it is worth trying because of other parents reports: https://jakes-journey-apraxia.com/

antoine

Postby antoine » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:58 pm

I was hoping you would comment Fatherof2, thank you!
yes, we did an IgG and he had some sensitivities, however, we didn't see gains after eliminating those food. he is still on a modified SCD diet (he eats squashes and sweet potatoes twice a week)
also, we saw a neurologist but he only agreed to do a two hours EEG -i know that is ridiculous- but he was not concerned at all. our EEG appointment is on November (Canadian style waiting list)
months ago we had an appointment with an immunologist, i was super excited to discuss his hyper-immunity with her; when i mentioned my 3 year old won't get sick or develop a fever, she said: "Oh! that is great, you are lucky!" :O just imagine my disappointment.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 pm

My son also rarely gets sick, and I am not sure if that is good or bad. I didn't see fish oil on your list. That is also supposed to help with speech. Some kids start speaking on GFCF diet, some after anti-seizure meds, some after SSRI's. The neurologist will be able to advise on a treatment. Waiting for a good neurologist specializing in autism even in US can take up to 6 months. 2hr EEG is OK as a starting point. My son's first EEG was 30 minutes, under induced sleep, and it already showed abnormalities. It might be a good idea to get an MRI scan of the brain too. Getting an MRI order is becoming more and more difficult in US. I guess insurance companies are pressuring doctors not to prescribe "unnecessary tests" in order to save money. Soon in-network doctors will act like the holistic healer in Seinfield's episode "The Heart Attack" when he placed his hands on George's face and announced "you are in disharmony" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1UjXJ26n-g It is classic!

varen2

Postby varen2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:32 am

Do you make homemade bone broth suggested by SCD diet? If yes, this could be a huge problem for high histamine (overreactive immune system). As you know, my son has been taking Nystatin for 2 years now, and we ended up having more food sensitivities after such a long time on the diet and Nystatin. My son was reacting to foods he could eat before. He would get dark circles under his eyes and would get cranky.

Bone broth made with organic grass fed-beef bones, or chicken bones was the worst offender. My son used to get huge dark circles under his eyes (it's a sign of inflammation in the gut/brain). Same with some meats and chicken. It has to be organic grass-fed. Another big offender is apples. Try to eliminate apples to see if it helps.

We've started expanding my son's diet with goat Colostrum supplement. Cow colostrum doesn't work and makes histamine problem much worse.

Here is my post about goat colostrum and how to take it:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34296&p=225919&hilit=Goat+colostrum#p225919

I'm also making GcMAF probiotic kefir at home similar to BRAVO kefir described somewhere else on this forum. It's a HUGE boost for social skills / interactions for my son. This stuff is so good, Please google GcMAF protein, research on this topic and let me know if you need a recipe for GcMAF Kefir. We use Goat Milk to make kefir, we add 1000mg of Mt Capra Goat Colostrum granules per 1 liter of milk, and certain strains of probiotic (histamine tolerant probiotic strains). This kefir is so strong, you need to be very careful with the dose. We gave my son 30ml of this kefir and he got a high fever and upset stomach for 2 days.

We reduced the dose to 1 ml of kefir twice a day and after 2 months, his dose is 4ml of kefir twice a day. So please whoever is going to try this homemade kefir, please be VERY careful with the dose. Get a syringe and measure 1ml of kefir, no more.

This stuff is a real miracle. Please google and read about it and let me know if you want to try to make it at home.

miraclev25

Postby miraclev25 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 am

Hi varen

am making coconut water kefir (fresh coconut water+water kefir grains+sugar (little)) and giving it to my son for about 2 months.
so should we try the mt cptra goat clostrum powder and make kefir with it. Pls suggest.

what is GcMAF kefir recipe

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”