Artificials, Phenols, Salicylates, Glutamates, Sulfur, etc.

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

mysisalina

Artificials, Phenols, Salicylates, Glutamates, Sulfur, etc.

Postby mysisalina » Thu May 26, 2016 5:57 pm

I'd like to know if any neurotypical children exhibit severe reactions to food/ingredients such as (artificial eg. colorings, flavorings, additives etc) but in particular - phenols, salicylates, glutamates, sulfur, etc? By reactions I mean behavioral in nature - stimming (or increased stimming eg. humming, hand flapping, toe walking, hair twirling/ripping it out, screaming, masturbating, clothes chewing) increased stress response as in fight or flight, increased hyperactivity, aggression/violence, self injurous behavior, decreased language/eye contact, elevated anxiety, decreased ability as in cognitive skills, fear of being alone, slower poop than usual, erratic behaviors/mood swings, inappropriate laughter/smiling, just to get started on the list. You get the drift. Does this happen in NT children because of a reaction to food?

I ask because my daughter comes across as completely NT and has been given a "development delay" in regards to behavior/emotion. Her provider has never seen any regressions or behaviors as listed above, she interacts beautifully with her developmental provider and pediatrician/nurses. We used to live all of the above behaviors all of the time.. life was, well you know how life as above is! Now, nn addition to GFCF as well as no artificial/etc. we have removed all of the above items as well. I can link each food type to certain behaviors. I can tell in explaining to her provider or pediatrician that no one believes what I am describing as if I am overreacting about my first child. My background is in child care, in particular special needs (autism, asbergers, mentally handicapped, I'm talking about severe cases of all of these, mentoring, nannying, around the clock care, I worked in the school system as well, anyway... ) So when I see my daughter exhibit behaviors just the same as these children, I KNOW something is up. And yes she is brilliant and sweet and funny and very interactive but there is an entirely different side to the picture and I am so tempted to drop the pediatrician and drop the weekly provider, they've already said they will probably be dropping her services anyway as they don't see any need other than perhaps my "parenting" could use some training. Ughhh I'm sorry maybe this is a bit of a rant. We've been balancing our her GABA/Glutamates as that was the most recent issue I learned and it is working wonders and for some reason I decided it was a good idea to give her a couple tablespoons of banana. went fine the first two times (spaced by four days) then she had some more and BAM all the above behaviors returned nearly instantly. I ought to add that we were out of the country and my daughter did not see a pediatrician until she was 2.5 years old (she was born in a rural South American village) and we already had personally researched and made dietary changes and implemented OT on our own (via weighted blanket, joint compressions, controlling sensory input, she needs proprioceptive input, heavy work, reduced sound/visual input. Anyway we had a pretty good grasp but no real understanding BEFORE even taking her to a pediatrician so they did not see much of it but it is there, lurking beneath the surface and with dietary control we basically mostly don't see these behaviors.

Sorry this got much longer than I had intended! I appreciate any and all input.

zoymom

Re: Artificials, Phenols, Salicylates, Glutamates, Sulfur, etc.

Postby zoymom » Sun May 29, 2016 10:16 pm

A friend of mine has a NT child who has cyclic vomiting triggered by these (and I think my son's vomiting is triggered by the same). She gets the vomiting from these triggers to stop by increasing his sulfate levels (eg with Epsom salt spray and baths). But we are working through it together. Would love to keep in touch.

mysisalina

Postby mysisalina » Tue May 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi zoymom, thanks for your feedback. What is interesting to me is that WITHOUT all of these foods she presents as a neurotypical child. When she eats these she is NOT. So if I had not found a dietary condition, at least in her case, and she ate these foods regularly she would always be full of stims and other ASD type behaviors.

How great for your friend that you are working together on all of this <3 lucky both of you! Anyone I know tells me "she is fine" "let her live a little" and they are not comprehending the amount of damage these foods cause her well being and her development. It is traumatizing. She enjoys her limited diet just fine and we are working on a new program to hopefully allow her to begin adding some foods back in at some point. She is otherwise healthy and ENJOYS not screaming/stimming/being aggressive/no more self injurous behavior. she enjoys being well rested and stable and not having stomach pains. But it takes good days mixed in for her to begin to recognize the other behaviors. At almost 3 years old she actually recognizes that eating a certain food can bring these behaviors out! anyway, gotta run, thank you!

Yvette07

Postby Yvette07 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:14 am

Hi! I would love to know how things have come along since you have posted this! You are describing my son down to an absolute T! He can go from a perfectly "normal" (lack of a better word) little boy to a high functioning autistic within the space of a few hours! I have him on Gluten/dairy free, vitamin e/probiotic supplements, and I'm about to have the genomic testing done. Have you gotten to the bottom of it yet? Or could you recommend any tests you've had done that have helped figure things out! It's all a bit of a puzzle right now! Thanks :)

mysisalina

Postby mysisalina » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:23 am

Yvette, oh boy you do have your hands full!!! xoxoxo mama!!

We have found a "stable" place and loads of improvement. It has been a lot of work and of course worth it. Food sensitivities are just now beginning to "fade out" I want to share much more with you but since I cannot at this moment I wanted to at least acknowledge your message! Today is an awful day... she's in rare sorts, and then we have her 18 mo old sister and her 10 day old sister and i'm on my own lol. I'll be back to chat!!!

Basically we didn't know where to start, what to do so we just started. something. anything, keep plugging along and persevere!!! Things can and do get better but yes I will be more than happy to share exactly more or less what we have done that seems to have in some way or another helped. Genetic testing, lots of dietary restrictions, supplements, therapy, biomedical testing... much love!

how old is your son?!?! It is such a "Jekyll/Hyde" thing isn't it!?

Yvette07

Postby Yvette07 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:10 am

Oh my goodness - you are a trooper!! That's literally my only saving grace at the moment, the fact I only have him to look after! it must be really challenging at times having 3 and these things going over and over in your head! Its been consuming me of late! My son will be 3 in May, im a bit overwhelmed at the moment, I'm trying to start the salicyte/amine elimination this week I just have to get the go ahead From His daycare that he attends twice a week.
These are the kind of behaviours that suddenly appear:
*very pinchy - will walk up and squeeze/pinch my legs or cheeks if he's on my lap. Almost like gritting your teeth but with your fingers pinching someone!
*incoherent "aggressive" loud jibberish he will blurt out
*hyperactive / can barely focus when your talking to him sometimes
*"stiff" exaggerated walking patterns/prancing/running on the spot kind of hypo thing lol
*emotional regulation takes a dive - small things are big things!
He can go from completely calm and composted, just your average 2 year old to this within the space of an hour!, and then back again! It's like night and day! And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it!

So yes not too sure where to head other than the elimatjon diet, but I'd love to know what's helped you figure it all out. The biggest impact so far for him was the GFDF diet and putting him on a good quality probiotic!

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”