My son has low T4 thyroxine, and not started speaking

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

vishalrajar

My son has low T4 thyroxine, and not started speaking

Postby vishalrajar » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:03 am

My son is 2.5 years, and he has been low T4 thyroxine. His blood test started when he was 1 year old, Now we think that has several behavior problems.

* Cannot use words.
* Lack of eye contact.
* Not following instructions.
* Seems his own world

I have been complaining doctors about his low T4, as my wife has little hypothyroidism. Doctor's said my kid has normal range only, but I am still doubting his other symptoms.

* He has dry skin
* Stomach is bloated
* Nail ridges
* His mental growth
* Poor eating
* Hair loss

But he weight is normal only. Please see my kid latest 3 blood test data's.

Lab 3, Date: 23/06/2016
TOTAL T4 77.46 nmol/L (Reference range 60.0 ~ 160.0)
TSH 2.297 mIU/L (Reference range 0.270 ~ 4.20 )
TOTAL T3 1.28nmol/L (Reference range 1.5 ~ 2.8)

Lab 2, Date: 09/04/2016
TOTAL T3 (Chemiluminesecence Immunoassay)1.340 ng/mL (Biological reference 0.97 - 1.69)
TSH, Serum ( **EC) 4.001 uIU/mL (Biological reference 0.465 - 4.68)
TOTAL T4 ( **EC) 6.38 ug/dL (Biological reference 5.53 - 11)

**EC (Electro Chemi Luminiscence Immuno Assay -ECLIA)

Lab 1, Date: 31/12/2015
TOTAL T4 6.17 μg/dL (Child (1 yr - 3 yrs) : 7.0 - 13.1)
TSH 1.4701 μIU/mL (Child (1 yr - 5 yrs) : 0.64 - 5.76
TOTAL T3 80.17ng/dL (Child (1 yr - 5 yrs) : 92.4 - 200.5)

I didn't start any treatment yet. I am really worried about my kind conditions. What should I do ? is this low t4 related ?

Sorry for my english

FatherOf2

Re: My son has low T4 thyroxine, and not started speaking

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:58 pm

Have you done only ones thyroid test or more? My doctor said that one test doesn't mean final and need to confirm. There are other perhaps more important test to do, for example EEG. Kids who don't talk often have abnormal EEG or even seizures and sometimes start talking on anti seizure meds. You should also try nootropics. Piracetam helped my son to start talking at 3, but he had single words before 1.5 years. So it was a regressive autism.

vishalrajar

Postby vishalrajar » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:55 am

I did other tests too.

* COMPLETE HAEMOGRAM (Automated blood cell counter)
* DIFFERENTIAL COUNT (DC)
* ABSOLUTE EOSINOPHIL COUNT (AEC)
* RANDOM PLASMA GLUCOSE*
* URIC ACID*
* BILIRUBIN TOTAL*
* LACTATE/LACTIC ACID
* URINE ANALYSIS (Automated sysmex )
* MICROSCOPIC EXAMINATION (ME)

One common observation is he has LYMPHOCYTES is more.

Lab 1 :
Lymphocyte 66.8% (30 - 50) %

LEUKOCYTES:
The total leukocyte count is within normal limits. There is mild lymphocytosis. Leukocyte morphology is normal. Toxic granules
or abnormal cells are not detected

Lab 3:
LYMPHOCYTES 47% (30-50 %)

All other results seem to be fine

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:24 pm

I meant to say that you need to repeat TH4 test. Thyroid test results vary a lot from one test to another. My son first test showed low thyroid. A test just 1 month later showed normal thyroid. All tests after that showe'd normal thryroid too. All other symptoms you listed could be from malnutrition, lack of vitamins, mytohondrial issues, allergies, etc. Autistic kids typically don't eat well and don't digest well due to unbalanced gut flora. I have twins, one is autistic, the other is normal, who is 1 inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than his autistic brother.

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Search such things as "hypothyroidism", "gluten and thyroid", etc. Seems those with hypothyroidism should eliminate gluten. Also, gluten is one of the two things eliminated on the basic autism diet, gluten-free and casein-free. Try eliminating both gluten and casein (dairy). You have to completely eliminate gluten, meaning check supplements, capsules, toothpaste, etc, for gluten. This diet helps a lot of children, but others need more and also eliminate corn, soy, and all food additives, especially glutamate, the food additive MSG that goes by many names. Feed him only organic food, no GMO.

If you want to go further, see my post "A cure for regressive autism". Of course I can't tell you if this will help your child, but it might, especially with the connection of gluten and hypothyroidism. Best wishes.

vishalrajar

Postby vishalrajar » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:22 am

My son got diagnosed as autoimmune thyroiditis hashimoto's disease. Please see his latest lab results.

Lab 4, Date 09/July/2016

* ANTI - THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES H 30.0 ( < 13 IU/ML)
* FREE T3 SERUM FT3 6.0 (3.0 - 9.1 pmol/L)[/list]
* FREE T4 SERUM FT4 20.8 (12.3 - 22.8 pmol/L)
* TSH SERUM 4.00 (0.70 - 5.97 uIU/ml)[/list]

But doctor says no need of medication, as he has TSH is normal. I have seen this link viewtopic.php?t=24831, should I start him my own thyroid hormone treatment ?

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:56 am

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/ ... -hormone-0
"The degree of thyroid hormone abnormalities often, but NOT ALWAYS will correlate with the degree of symptoms. We must also keep in mind that even the "normal" thyroid hormone levels in the blood have a fairly large range, so even if a patient is in the "normal" range, it may not be the normal level for them."

According to the above, test results seem to be a medically unclear area. I'll leave it to other posters with experience doing hormone treatment to respond to your question. However, since you now know that your son has autoimmune Hashimoto's disease, my suggestion is to find another doctor, give him the test results, and describe all your son's symptoms that you listed above, hair loss, etc. Hopefully, you'll find another doctor who will give treatment based on his symptoms rather than his test results. That way, dosages could be monitored.

http://www.webmd.com/women/news/2015022 ... ve-thyroid
Also see above link. Besides gluten, fluoride has also been implicated in hypothyroidism. Best wishes.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:26 pm

vishalrajar wrote:My son got diagnosed as autoimmune thyroiditis hashimoto's disease. Please see his latest lab results.

Lab 4, Date 09/July/2016

* ANTI - THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES H 30.0 ( < 13 IU/ML)
* FREE T3 SERUM FT3 6.0 (3.0 - 9.1 pmol/L)[/list]
* FREE T4 SERUM FT4 20.8 (12.3 - 22.8 pmol/L)
* TSH SERUM 4.00 (0.70 - 5.97 uIU/ml)[/list]

But doctor says no need of medication, as he has TSH is normal. I have seen this link http://autismweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24831, should I start him my own thyroid hormone treatment ?

vishalrajar, could you update on your son condition and what helped. I just got my son's blood test results, and his THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES are above the reference range and FREE T3 is at the bottom of its range. TSH is normal. My son's endocrinologist said that the results are not a concern, but need to monitor thyroid every 6 months. Hashimoto is diagnosed when TPO AB is above 40 IU/ML and TSH above the reference range. Just like your son, my son has poor eye contact, dry skin, poor eating and hair loss between ages 0 and 2. Our sons seem to be correlated. From reading on internet, most common treatments of high TPO AB are GFCF diet and LDN. I suspect that antibodies to thyroid is just scratching the surface. Possibly his immune system is attacking the brain too.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”