Autism Polypill

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Firefly2016

Autism Polypill

Postby Firefly2016 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi! I am wondering if anyone is following the Autism Polypill protocol described at:
https://epiphanyasd.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Firefly2016

Sammickk

Re: Autism Polypill

Postby Sammickk » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:28 am

I follow his blog frequently, the man is intelligent, and follows the science. BUT living in the US, Most of what is in his polypill are prescription meds. So I bet it would be very hard to try and get a doc to prescribe them here, even though it may work for allot of people.

Also if your considering trying what he has in his polly-pill, please note that you do not need all the meds/supplements in the polly-pill. Look at the tables he has created and note which med/supplement does what. And he greatly encourages everyone that tries anything discussed on the blog to post results they have had with a particular supplement, med, pro-biotic or whatever it may be.

For example my son does not have any SIBs so I do not think he would need Verapmil.

While this man doesn't believe in everything biomedical, he has an open mind and at least researches everything before he makes posts for others to read.

Also you can pick up allot of good tips in the comments on each particular post.

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:34 pm

We've been using Bumetanide, which is part of the Polypill that is recommended on the Epiphany site and the effect has been very good for my daughter. I am part of a FB Autism group where a few of the members mentioned the Polypill a while ago and I started looking into it. We decided to start with Bumetanide as this seemed like a good fit for us. Bumetanide is a cheap medication in Greece where I live, so accessing it was no problem. Within a few days we saw increased cognition and indeed, 'the fog had lifted' from my daughter, who is more aware now of her surroundings, understands more....in fact, is communicating better. We give much less than the recommended dose, only 1/3 of a 1mg tablet per day but the effect has been very noticeable. I read that the effect can wear off, so I thought it would be wise to have the leeway to increase the dose if needed. We haven't tried the statin drug or the Verapimil which are part of the polypill, still looking into these.

Sammickk

Postby Sammickk » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Bumetanide in the US is prescription but for those in the US, there is a work around if you are wanting to trial this drug. You can buy this from ebay, under the name Miccil from Mexico.

Here is the European trail which showed good results.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23233021

Please pay attention on the case report that a small number of patients experienced a mild Potassium deficiency that can countered with a supplement or just eating bananas.

TanyaTS

Postby TanyaTS » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:47 am

this might be a silly question - I admit I have not read yet how exactly bumetanide works - but could similar results be achieved by giving dandelion tea?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:32 am

Kastania wrote:We've been using Bumetanide, which is part of the Polypill that is recommended on the Epiphany site and the effect has been very good for my daughter. I am part of a FB Autism group where a few of the members mentioned the Polypill a while ago and I started looking into it. We decided to start with Bumetanide as this seemed like a good fit for us. Bumetanide is a cheap medication in Greece where I live, so accessing it was no problem. Within a few days we saw increased cognition and indeed, 'the fog had lifted' from my daughter, who is more aware now of her surroundings, understands more....in fact, is communicating better. We give much less than the recommended dose, only 1/3 of a 1mg tablet per day but the effect has been very noticeable. I read that the effect can wear off, so I thought it would be wise to have the leeway to increase the dose if needed. We haven't tried the statin drug or the Verapimil which are part of the polypill, still looking into these.

Kastania, in the past you wrote that you tried Spironolactone, which is also a diuretic, but potassium sparing, which is a good thing. Have you stopped it? Do you like the effect from Bumetanide more?

Irini

Postby Irini » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Kastania wrote:We've been using Bumetanide, which is part of the Polypill that is recommended on the Epiphany site and the effect has been very good for my daughter. I am part of a FB Autism group where a few of the members mentioned the Polypill a while ago and I started looking into it. We decided to start with Bumetanide as this seemed like a good fit for us. Bumetanide is a cheap medication in Greece where I live, so accessing it was no problem. Within a few days we saw increased cognition and indeed, 'the fog had lifted' from my daughter, who is more aware now of her surroundings, understands more....in fact, is communicating better. We give much less than the recommended dose, only 1/3 of a 1mg tablet per day but the effect has been very noticeable. I read that the effect can wear off, so I thought it would be wise to have the leeway to increase the dose if needed. We haven't tried the statin drug or the Verapimil which are part of the polypill, still looking into these.

Kastania, where did you get the Bumetanide from? We are a young Greek couple living in Athens and we are unable to find it in any of the local pharmacies. Don't you need a prescription for it? Where did you get it from?

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:04 am

Irini wrote:

Kastania, where did you get the Bumetanide from? We are a young Greek couple living in Athens and we are unable to find it in any of the local pharmacies. Don't you need a prescription for it? Where did you get it from?

We got it from Greece too no you don't need prescription. Ask for βουμετανιδη

TanyaTS

Postby TanyaTS » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:48 pm

Does it have any instructions to avoid if there are sulfa allergies?

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”