Celexa

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Jillh

Celexa

Postby Jillh » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:50 pm

Please no judgement here. But I was wondering if any one has any experience with Celexa? My 8 year old son is having a heck of a time focusing and scripts all day and has very limited interests. His Dr recommended Vyvanse for ADHD. But the more I looked at it his behaviors seem to be more anxiety/OCD driven. Yes he's loud and active. But the constant scripting and same activities look way more of an anxiety issue vs ADHD. That said we did not start the VYvanse Bc I didn't want it to bump up his anxiety, honestly we may not have started it anyways Bc everything we do is to avoid Meds. But the anxiety and OCD dominates his day and I can't imagine what that must be like:( His Dr suggested Celexa to address the anxiety and hopefully in turn help the inattentive and hyperactive behaviors. But I wanted to really learn more about it before we even consider it. Thank you!!!

FatherOf2

Re: Celexa

Postby FatherOf2 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:38 pm

Many doctors wouldn't prescribe SSRI's to children due to side effects. But there are few doctors who are convinced that SSRI's are very helpful for autistic children. One local psychiatrist prescribes SSRI practically to all children at the beginning of a new school year to reduce anxiety. You should read Dr Goldberg book on autism. He bases his treatment on SSRI. He is so convinced that he recommends trying different SSRI's if one didn't work until you find what works. The important thing is to raise the dose very carefully because too little has no effect and too much leads to indifference, dissociation. The right dose has a very narrow window. Some parents here reported great speech improvements on SSRI. DR Goldberg book shows how SSRI encourages brain activity and blood flow into the areas previously inactive. SSRI also encourages growth of new neurons according to the latest research.

Jillh

Postby Jillh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:24 am

FatherOf2 wrote:Many doctors wouldn't prescribe SSRI's to children due to side effects. But there are few doctors who are convinced that SSRI's are very helpful for autistic children. One local psychiatrist prescribes SSRI practically to all children at the beginning of a new school year to reduce anxiety. You should read Dr Goldberg book on autism. He bases his treatment on SSRI. He is so convinced that he recommends trying different SSRI's if one didn't work until you find what works. The important thing is to raise the dose very carefully because too little has no effect and too much leads to indifference, dissociation. The right dose has a very narrow window. Some parents here reported great speech improvements on SSRI. DR Goldberg book shows how SSRI encourages brain activity and blood flow into the areas previously inactive. SSRI also encourages growth of new neurons according to the latest research.

Thanks so much! I was actually hoping you'd respond:) I will continue my research and most definitely read Dr Goldberg's book. I will update things moving forward. Thanks again!

JustKeepSwimming

Postby JustKeepSwimming » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:00 am

I don't have experience with SSRIs (except for miserable experience when I tried them for myself a few years ago...never did find the right one).

What has helped us with anxiety recently is hemp (cbd) oil. It is cbd with tiny traces of thc, so no 'high'. Just calm focus and reduced anxiety...legal in all 50 states.

The oil we use is Palmetto Harmony, which was created by the mother of a young girl with a seizure disorder. On the user group I belong to, there are lots of parents of kids with ASD, ADHD, etc, though epilepsy is definitely the most common condition there.

Anyway, since we're being judgement-free here, I thought I would mention it. We've had the kind of results where teachers & therapists have all commented, even though they don't know we started using anything different...he's a much more relaxed and happy guy.

Just another thing to look into!
Last edited by JustKeepSwimming on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jillh

Postby Jillh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:29 am

That's great!! I'm so glad you found something to help! We actually tried CW Botanicals (Stanley Brothers) CBDoil twice. No effects during both trials. But I've heard great things from so many using CBD. Thanks so much for the info!:)

JustKeepSwimming

Postby JustKeepSwimming » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:17 am

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but we also tried CW first and it did nothing. I recently read that Stanley Brothers changed from their original formula to be able to sell in all states, and they got around the laws by just using stems. Or something like that. Palmetto Harmony uses the whole hemp plant (different plant so it's legal, but CBD is still active)...you can even smell the difference...CW smells like grass. PH smells like, um, 'grass'. :wink:

Anyway, don't mean to sidetrack you, but thought that it would be worth mentioning.

I'm curious about the SSRI approach now, too - it's always good to know of alternatives in case something that works stops working. Please keep us posted!

Jillh

Postby Jillh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:55 pm

Wow! I didn't know they changed their formula! Good to know. I will definitely keep everyone posted on what we decide and document things should we try Celexa. Thanks again!

Jillh

Postby Jillh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Here's some info I just pulled from Dr Goldberg.

"The only medical agent out there that's routinely available and directly seems to help the temporal lobe are called the SSRIs, Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. The drugs that come under this category are Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft. What these drugs do is, for the first time, work on a specific pathway in the brain. They block the reuptake of the serotonin released.

If the serotonin released "stays around longer / more effectively," part of the brain works better. Prozac may also alter part of the "neuro-immune" axis, working to increase blood flow and function in the temporal lobe. This increased blood flow and improved function of the temporal lobes, helps many behavioral and processing problems in these "autistic" children. By helping restore and preserve temporal lobe function, one may be helping maintain a healthier brain.

Importantly, this is not an effort to control the children with medicine. A very small dose, usually 2-4 mg, is used with a four or five year old. If controlling a child's behavior was the goal, a dose of 10 - 20 mg would be used. Instead all that is needed to help function in the brain is a very small (but consistent) dose.

The purpose of using these drugs is an effort to get a child's brain to work better. In the past, if you talked about an antidepressant you were thinking Valium, Librium, Phenobarbital, that's how you "calmed" someone down. That's not what you're doing with Prozac, Paxil or Zoloft.

Pharmaceutical companies are trying to design drugs that will help the brain more physiologically than the agents out there did before. SSRI's represent the first of new "designer" drugs, with the capability of acting physiologically within the brain.

These drugs can help a child medically to function better. They help transmitter effect and likely increase blood flow to the area of the brain that was not functioning properly before. And if the brain starts working, the results with these children can be phenomenal. These children are usually extremely bright. (Note: While capable of helping medically, this author believes strongly that one cannot judge their positive effects, avoiding negatives at low dosages, without controlling / combining diet and other steps at the same time.)"

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:42 pm

If you continue reading the book, his first step is to give Valtrex to get rid of a hidden virus. Then high dose ibuprofen to reduce inflammation. The antifungal. And finally different SSRI's until you find the right one.

I became curious about CBD oil. I need to research that further. My son likes to flap his hands in front of his eyes when he gets excited. I was hoping it will reduce when we started Lamictal due to its mood stabilizing properties, but it got worse. The language improved though. Only once these flappings were gone for a couple of months and I still don't know what we did that caused that improvement.

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:31 pm

I've heard mixed things about Goldberg's protocol but have often wondered about SSRI's and how they might help our kids. I wonder if anyone on this forum has used them and if so, what kind of results they had?

miraclev25

Postby miraclev25 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 am

Hi

Did anyone tried with SSRI or CBD oil after the above mentioned conversation.
Did it helped.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:36 am

miraclev25 wrote:Hi

Did anyone tried with SSRI or CBD oil after the above mentioned conversation.
Did it helped.

My son started Lexapro at 2.5mg/day about 3 weeks ago, which is an improved version of Celexa, and I saw less anxiety and more social interactions. But it didn't helped with OCD's at all. I may increase it to 5mg/day, which is the minimum therapeutic dose according to my son's psychiatrist, but that is the maximum of my comfort dose. I wouldn't touch CBD oil - it is just my personal choice.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”