New To Biomed- Question on Methyl B12

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

ArvadaMom

New To Biomed- Question on Methyl B12

Postby ArvadaMom » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:04 pm

About 6 weeks into the journey- happy to have found this board!

My son is on so far only on Probiotics, Calcium and CLO and should soon be starting methyl B12 as prescribed by our DAN/MAPS doc.
Meanwhile, have talked with many parents met online regarding biomed and getting some very different opinions (on many things but this in particular) on the B12 issue. I'm hoping to get some deeper insight or at least additional opinions / experience from this board.

Some are suggesting we hold off of B12 shots until we have a genetics report and/or labs to provide guidance as to whether he can handle the methyl version or needs hydroxy, adenosyl or cyano-B12.

On the flip side, I heard and read that "only Methyl-B12 has the ability to activate the methionine/homocysteine biochemical pathway directly" and other reasons why the genetics report/ labs alone would not be sufficient guidance to use on this decision- and that we should proceed on our DAN doctors direction while evaluating the reactions carefully.

We have been trying to proceed slowly and do as much research as possible with each step. Very much appreciate any feedback on this.

makingitpossible

Re: New To Biomed- Question on Methyl B12

Postby makingitpossible » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:48 am

I don't have too much to add other than watch Ben Lynch videos on you tube.
All forms have their benefits minus cyano which is not really utilized well and fake.
You can get both hydroxy and methyl in the same shot too.
Too much B12 without cofactors can result in oxidized B12 too which is very harmful. Try not to supplement nutrients individually.
If you are concerned about calcium I would recommend making nettle infusions. Typically caclium is not recommended though with autism especially without magnesium but the nettle infusions are really great.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:08 pm

You can try MB12 and see if it does anything. We never seen anything positive from MB12 shots and later found out that that MB12 is not recommended for our son' according to his genetics. He is now taking chewable hydroxy b12 and still nothing. B12 is overrated.

autismnhusa

Postby autismnhusa » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:20 pm

when science comes to this issue, there is some kind of full stop. The artist invented some theory on it. In practice, it does more harm. Those people should be put into a jail.

autismnhusa

Postby autismnhusa » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:20 pm

when science comes to this issue, there is some kind of full stop. The artist invented some theory on it. In practice, it does more harm. Those people should be put into a jail.

ArvadaMom

Postby ArvadaMom » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:02 pm

makingitpossible- about that calcium issue. . . I've been worried for the last week that the calcium might be causing my son's increased stims/ decreased engagement. . . I am grasping at straws- but then we don't have that much in our regimen to question (probiotics, Calcium and CLO).

I was wondering what the reasons are for discouraging calcium with ASD- I found a link in one of the threads that talks about GABA imbalance- is that the main reason? Is that negated if the calcium includes magnesium?

thanks for your input

crazydaddy

Postby crazydaddy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:21 pm

What is the latest on the MB12 injections, have they been shown to work in many cases, or what are the genetic factors that may prevent them from working?

What about side-effects?

makingitpossible

Postby makingitpossible » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:03 pm

ArvadaMom wrote:makingitpossible- about that calcium issue. . . I've been worried for the last week that the calcium might be causing my son's increased stims/ decreased engagement. . . I am grasping at straws- but then we don't have that much in our regimen to question (probiotics, Calcium and CLO).

I was wondering what the reasons are for discouraging calcium with ASD- I found a link in one of the threads that talks about GABA imbalance- is that the main reason? Is that negated if the calcium includes magnesium?

thanks for your input

Calcium can create a lot of problems if taken in excess and not balanced with supporting minerals/vitamins. I can't believe mainstream medicine is still pushing calcium. It can build up in the arteries and cause heart disease or strokes, can build up in soft tissues, etc. Vitamin K will help keep calcium where it is supposed to be and other minerals such as magnesium and boron also determine how calcium will be utilized in the body. The RDA (Reccommended Dietary Allowance) for calcium is greatly influenced by the dairy lobbiest and changes depending on where you are. From what research I have seen 200-500 mg is needed not 1200 or whatever they are pushing. Calcium is very important but with the RDA you can't obtain it without drinking like 3 glasses of milk a day or taking supplements which just doesn't make sense. They say excess calcium is the bullet in exciting the glutamate receptors. With that said obviously a growing body needs calcium. I highly recommend looking into the nettle infusions. You take 1/2-1 cup of nettles and in a glass quart jar and boil water. Put the water in the nettles , cover and let it sit for about 8 hours and then strain out the nettles. It tastes very mild and is very high in tons of minerals that can help support his adrenals and mineral balance including getting him his calcium.
Some kids also do poorly with probiotics due to die-off, histamine, lactic acidosis, etc. It is hard to say.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”