Treating ASD as brain injury

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

FatherOf2

Treating ASD as brain injury

Postby FatherOf2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:59 am

After going through many on-line articles regarding treating brain injuries, I've come up with the following list of recommended supplements:

Full List
    Fish Oil (anti-inflammatory)
    B-Complex (specifically nicotinamide, which is now claimed to have anti-aging properties)
    Magnesium (blocks glutamate receptors)
    Vitamin D (anti-inflammatory)
    MCT oil (anti-epileptic! also used for Alzheimer's, coconut oil is also good)
    Curcumin (anti-oxidant, may increase irritability in some)
    Resveratrol (anti-oxidant, destroys cancer cells, tips glutamate/GABA balance towards GABA, anticonvulsant add-on)
    Cocoa flavanols (anti-oxidant, enhances cortical blood flow)
    Quercetin/Luteolin (antioxidants, block release of glutamate)
    Pycnagenol (anti-oxidant, improves cognition)
    Lion's Mane mushrooms (anti-oxidant, regenerates nerves, improves cognition)
    Gingko Bilopa (stimulates blood flow to the brain, but may cause seizures - I don't recommend it)
    Vinpocetine (promotes blood flow to the brain, improves cognition, reduces seizures)
    Creatine (neuroprotective, reduces glutamate, improves cognition)
    Phosphatidylserine
    HBOT

Things I tried and liked:
    B-Complex (very slight improvement in awareness)
    MCT Oil (more aware, talks more)
    Luteolin (more aware, talks more)
    HBOT (we did 3 courses, 1st gave significant jump, 2nd less, 3rd even less)

Things I tried and didn't see anything:
    Magnesium (tried epsom salt baths, ionic Mg, Mg threonate, Mg taurate)
    Vitamin D (still giving it just to keep the blood levels within norm)
    Pycnagenol
    Phosphatidylserine

Things I tried and didn't like:
    Creatine (increased irritability, son became touchy, possibly due to hypoglycemia, which is a known side effect)
    Curcumin (increased irritability, it contains sulfur, which my son doesn't process well)

Things I want to try:
    MCT oil and LutiMax again (I need to understand why I stopped them 3 years ago)
    Resveratrol (specifically from Japanese Knotweed)
    Cocoa flavanols
    Lion's Mane mushrooms
    Vinpocetine (tried it for 1-2 days and only saw increased hyperactivity, would like to try again)

This is a very good reading on the subject: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK209314/
Last edited by FatherOf2 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:09 am, edited 9 times in total.

Nikkie111

Re: Treating ASD as brain injury

Postby Nikkie111 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:20 am

Also anything that gets rid of excess glutamate or inhibits it's receptors as when cells die after an injury they release glutamate
Not sure at all where I've seen it but Oxaloacetate was suggested for this ...

ArvadaMom

Postby ArvadaMom » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks for posting this list- definitely some new things to look into.

So it sounds like the Glutamate/ Gaba balance is connected to inflammation?

calbreezy

Postby calbreezy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Has anyone tried Curcumin? We just ordered some Enhansa and are hoping this will help. We have seen major regression since the flu shot this year which is odd because he never previously had issues with it previous years. By regression I don't mean behaviors but rather immune system.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:56 pm

We tried enhansa and it just increased irritability. Many even healthy adults report rages of anger after starting circumin. So it is common and probably has something to do with sulfur processing mutations. Vaccines are by definition toxins designed to activate immune system. In some kids with mitochondrial disorders this may lead to cell danger response (cells stop communicating properly and view other cells as enemies) and immune system attack on its own cells. As a result you get a chronic brain inflammation, increased glutamate, abnormal neuronal firing. Etc I stopped giving vaccines to my son ever since he was diagnosed with autism.

Please read about zika virus and how it affects newborns. It is not really the virus that affects newborns, but the immune system.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:58 pm

calbreezy wrote:Has anyone tried Curcumin? We just ordered some Enhansa and are hoping this will help. We have seen major regression since the flu shot this year which is odd because he never previously had issues with it previous years. By regression I don't mean behaviors but rather immune system.

For us it was awful experience but I assume it's cause it elevates TH2 hence reducing TH1 which is needed to fights yeast etc ... So never again!

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Nikkie111, perhaps this is where you saw Oxaloacetate:
http://www.dana.org/Cerebrum/2007/Prote ... ate_Storm/
https://www.sciencedaily.com//2011/02/110208101314.htm

Fatherof2, I don't read here that often, but always appreciate your knowledge. Along with the R.E.I.D. diet as being beneficial in reducing glutamate, what do you think about ibuprofen?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:53 am

I haven't tried ibuprofen longterm. The longest I gave it to my son was 2 days and I didn't see much. I know some doctors treat autistic children with it for a long time, something like 2-3x/day for 10 days ON, 20 days OFF. Some parents report great improvements, but I am concerned about its effect on the stomach (ulcers) and kidneys and blood thinning effect. I am also concerned that long-term usage of Ibuprofen may cause loss of hearing (ototoxicity). If you are considering Ibuprofen, you may also consider prednisone. This corticosteroid is so powerful, it will turn your child into neurotypical while on it (provided that neuroinflammation is the underlying reason for his/her autism). I've read so many heartbreaking testimonies from parents who tried prednisone. For the first time they saw what their autistic children would be if they were normal, and then saw all of that to slip away after stopping prednisone. If you want something long term, I think you need to try the supplements I listed in my first post. I am personally going to re-start LutiMax on my son very soon (Neuroprotek is similar, but we saw less effect from it). I gave LutiMax to my son 3 years ago and saw improvements. I also gave it to him 2 weeks ago, just one tablet, one day. I couldn't believe how much improvements in awareness and socialization it brought in that day. I am delaying it until after we repeat the EEG test to see the effect from Lamictal. Plus, I am still riding a wave of new improvements from Lamictal. Now with another parent saying that Quercetin (a similar flavanoid to Luteolin) reduced stimms in her child, I can't wait to re-start LutiMax. If your child can tolerate Circumin, it is a good one too according to parents who didn't have issues with it.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:57 pm

I tried Creatine this weekend. Both days my son was touchy, more irritable, border-line SIB again. But I also noticed some improvements. ABA therapist said he did great during church, listened to the teacher, and asked relevant questions, which hasn't happened before (he typically just sits alone at a desk and draws). Despite improvements, I am choosing to stop Creatine because the school will be complaining about behaviors. Anger is reported as a side effect of Creatine by some bodybuilders. I may try it again during spring or summer breaks. But for now, I am going to try other things on my list.

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:52 pm

Fatherof2, thank you so much for this information.  I'm looking for something short term in case grandchild has an accidental ingestion of free glutamate.  Back in the beginning, one accidental ingestion caused regression, but have no idea what it would cause now, nor for how long.  Katherine Reid says her child's reaction peaks in 3 days with a problem with language ability.

Therapist and nutritionist both said to keep up Epsom salt baths, but like you, parents never saw anything either, until near the end of her recovery.  Then they definitely noticed that she was so much more alert and aware after a bath, so the baths may have been helping her all along even though they didn't observe anything.

Keep us posted, your child is lucky to have you.

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:39 am

FatherOf2 wrote:After going through many on-line articles regarding treating brain injuries, I've come up with the following list of recommended supplements:

Full List
    Fish Oil (anti-inflammatory)
    B-Complex (specifically nicotinamide, which is now claimed to have anti-aging properties)
    Magnesium (blocks glutamate receptors)
    Vitamin D (anti-inflammatory)
    MCT oil (anti-epileptic! also used for Alzheimer's, coconut oil is also good)
    Curcumin (anti-oxidant, may increase irritability in some)
    Resveratrol (anti-oxidant, destroys cancer cells, tips glutamate/GABA balance towards GABA, anticonvulsant add-on)
    Cocoa flavanols (anti-oxidant, enhances cortical blood flow)
    Quercetin/Luteolin (antioxidants, block release of glutamate)
    Pycnagenol (anti-oxidant, improves cognition)
    Lion's Mane mushrooms (anti-oxidant, regenerates nerves, improves cognition)
    Gingko Bilopa (stimulates blood flow to the brain, but may cause seizures - I don't recommend it)
    Vinpocetine (promotes blood flow to the brain, improves cognition, reduces seizures)
    Creatine (neuroprotective, reduces glutamate, improves cognition)
    Phosphatidylserine
    HBOT

Things I tried and liked:
    B-Complex (very slight improvement in awareness)
    MCT Oil (more aware, talks more)
    Luteolin (more aware, talks more)
    HBOT (we did 3 courses, 1st gave significant jump, 2nd less, 3rd even less)

Things I tried and didn't see anything:
    Magnesium (tried epsom salt baths, ionic Mg, Mg threonate, Mg taurate)
    Vitamin D (still giving it just to keep the blood levels within norm)
    Pycnagenol
    Phosphatidylserine

Things I tried and didn't like:
    Creatine (increased irritability, son became touchy, possibly due to hypoglycemia, which is a known side effect)
    Curcumin (increased irritability, it contains sulfur, which my son doesn't process well)

Things I want to try:
    MCT oil and LutiMax again (I need to understand why I stopped them 3 years ago)
    Resveratrol (specifically from Japanese Knotweed)
    Cocoa flavanols
    Lion's Mane mushrooms
    Vinpocetine (tried it for 1-2 days and only saw increased hyperactivity, would like to try again)

This is a very good reading on the subject: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK209314/

Thank you for your post. May i ask which type of Magnesium and brand do you use for your son? We are using ancient mineral oil and epsom salt, but still want to use some oral supplement for my son.
We tried Enhansa for 2 weeks and i feel it boost my son's speech( maybe not because we also use b12 shot) stop it because of black cycle under his eyes and hyper. We would like to try HBOT for him.
Also does someone knows where to buy used chamer in the UK? many thanks.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:15 am

We give Magnesium Threonate intermittently. This is the only oral version of Mg that doesn't lead to any visible side-effects for us. But I never saw anything positive except the aide at school would say he had a good day, which typically means he followed instructions and completed them without behaviors. But that could be a coincidence. Epsom salt baths are probably more effective.

bhawin

Postby bhawin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:47 am

Our daughter was recently diagnosed. We are doing GAPS full diet. In terms of suppelements we are doing CLO, MultiVitamin, Fibre supplement , Calcium & Mag supplement. How you decide on the things that you try? Do you see a DAN doctor who guides you or do you take tests and supplement based on the results. Unable to get any immediate appointments with Biomedical doctors and we are very confused about what else should we be doing at this time? Can someone please guide.

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:11 pm

bhawin, I responded on the thread you started about finding a doctor in Chicago.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:06 am

"Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Can Improve Post Concussion Syndrome Years after Mild Traumatic Brain Injury - Randomized Prospective Trial" http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0079995

Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is the leading cause of death and disability in the US. Approximately 70-90% of the TBI cases are classified as mild, and up to 25% of them will not recover and suffer chronic neurocognitive impairments. The main pathology in these cases involves diffuse brain injuries, which are hard to detect by anatomical imaging yet noticeable in metabolic imaging... The trial population included 56 mTBI patients 1–5 years after injury with prolonged post-concussion syndrome (PCS)... Significant improvements were demonstrated in cognitive function ... SPECT imaging revealed elevated brain activity in good agreement with the cognitive improvements...

The increased oxygen level in the blood and body tissues during treatment can supply the energy needed for brain repair. Indeed, several previous studies have demonstrated that elevated levels of dissolved oxygen by HBOT can have several reparative effects on damaged brain tissues... Improved energy management leads to multifaceted repair, including activation of angiogenesis and triggering of neuroplasticity (reactivation of quiescent neurons; creation of new synapses and new axonal connections), and might even induce differentiation of neuronal stem cells. The idea that HBOT can promote brain repair is reasonable and has gained experimental support, yet is still largely dismissed by the medical community as is discussed next.

Also see my post about Arachidonic Acid, which helps patients with autism and schizophrenia thanks to conversion to prostaglandins, which stimulate blood flow.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:44 am

Natural compounds from traditional medicinal herbs in the treatment of cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4002952/

...Cerebral ischemia is often caused by transient or permanent reduction of cerebral blood flow initiated by thrombotic or thromboembolic arterial occlusions ... A growing body of research has reported that a burst of ROS [reactive oxygen species] is produced during ischemia/reperfusion, which leads to the oxidation of lipids, proteins and DNA and subsequently cellular damage and apoptosis [cell death]. Therefore, much attention has been paid to the rescue of brain injury after ischemia/reperfusion via inhibition of ROS bursts [by using:]

Chinese Scullcap
Carnosic acid (from Rosemary)
Curcuma Oil
Ginkgo biloba extract EGb761
Cinnamophilin

... Inflammation is obvious within several hours during ischemia/reperfusion injury; it contributes to secondary damage caused by the microglial activation and resident perivascular and parenchymal macrophages, as well as infiltration of peripheral inflammatory cells... Sufficient evidence has indicated that neutrophils play a key role in the development of ischemic brain damage, and the depletion of circulating neutrophils or inhibition of neutrophil infiltration is demonstrated to ameliorate ischemic cerebral injury. Thus, more and more evidence suggests that anti-inflammatory treatment might reduce ischemic brain injury and facilitate recovery [by using:]

theaflavin
Wogonin (a flavonoid derived from the root of Chinese Scullcup)
Graptopetalum paraguayense E Walther leaf extracts

... ROS bursts and excitatory amino acid toxicity caused by ischemic reperfusion will lead to intracellular Ca2+ overload. Ca2+ overload in neurons is an essential signal of catastrophic events leading to irreversible neuronal injury... [The following will] reduce ischemia induced Ca2+ overload in neurons:

Guattegaumerine (bisbenzylisoquinoline alkaloid from Guatteria gaumeri)
Tetrahydroxystilbene glucoside
Berberine

Ischemic cerebral injury is known to induce histopathological damage and related neurological deficits, leading to the activation of complex neurochemical cascades of cell death, which are primarily expressed as apoptosis. In principle, these apoptotic cascades are reversible and form an important aspect of the penumbra concept, a major target of therapeutic interventions. In general, ischemia and reperfusion induced neuronal apoptosis can be classified into two types: caspase-dependent and caspase-independent pathways. Caspases are intracellular proteases that function as initiators and effectors of apoptosis. When activated, caspases cleave a variety of intracellular proteins, including major structural elements in the cytoplasm and nucleus, components of the DNA repair machinery, and a number of protein kinases... Berberine performs its anti-apoptotic effect by inhibiting both caspase-dependent and independent pathways... Ginsenoside Rb1 (gRb1) regulates the anti-apoptosis signaling pathway, which stimulates the expression of mitochondrion-associated anti-apoptotic factor Bcl-xL through the use of reporter plasmids...

Ischemia/reperfusion induces angiogenesis and increases cell proliferation in the subventricular zone (SVZ), which is home to neural stem/progenitor cells. In order to amplify the intrinsic propensity for neuroplasticity and subsequent neurological recovery, it is necessary to promote basal neurogenesis and synaptogenesis. Several potential therapeutic agents have been shown to promote functional outcome after ischemia, most of which are growth factors such as vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF), and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). VEGF is a major mediator of angiogenesis that stimulates revascularization. VEGF receptors have been reported to be upregulated in the ischemic brain. It is believed that VEGF is beneficial for the recovery of neurological function after cerebral ischemia... The extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase (ERK) cascade is one of the important pathways involved in hippocampal synaptogenesis and synaptic plasticity, which are important for learning and memory. Natural products may act as neurohormetic phytochemicals to activate ERK and contribute to the restoration of learning and memory after cerebral ischemia:

Fisetin
Cholinesterase inhibitors such as Huperzine A

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”