Autism and allergies

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

kschwyn

Autism and allergies

Postby kschwyn » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:08 am

Hi everyone! For my honors biology class I am doing a science fair project on how food allergies / sensitivities contribute to stronger behavioral issues in kids with autism. I need to collect data for this project and was wondering if anyone has experience with this topic and would be willing to help me out. Any information, data, or references would be greatly appreciated. I know it is a great stretch posting this on a discussion board but I just thought I may be able to help some other people out as well.

BrianShelnutt

Re: Autism and allergies

Postby BrianShelnutt » Thu May 25, 2017 8:16 am

It's important to teach them not to eat food that could potentially harm them.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 am

Autists seem more vulnerable to allergies, migraines, digestive distress, ...

Let us know if you find good quality information.

Edit: sorry now I realize it is about food allergies. It seems that diet is very important in autism and still good quality studies seem to be lacking. Congratulations for choosing a relevant research topic! Note that often the problems autists deal with are not "true"allergies. It is speculated that undigested gluten and protein are opiods. Autists seem more vulnerable to chemicals and processed foods.

I wish we had reliable data. I think yours is very important step in the right direction.

CdB

Postby CdB » Sat May 27, 2017 6:40 am

You should look into Doris Rapp, she was the pioneer in Allergy and behavior.

raun cesar

Postby raun cesar » Sat May 27, 2017 8:23 am

Hi kschwyn, welcome here. Kids with autism are very sensitive to foods. I feel like there are still gaps in studies among children with autism.
Good Luck!!

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”