Wakefulness with supplement

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

NEmom

Wakefulness with supplement

Postby NEmom » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello. We began using an amino/mineral supplement last December called Spectrum Awakening. It was extremely helpful with aggression and self regulation, but eventually my 7 yo daughter started waking up every night for app 2 hours at a time. It doesn't seem to be a serotonin response, because no other negative effects occurred. Our naturopath explained that it may be a reaction to histamine build-up, but none of the off-setting supplements prescribed helped. I asked the manufacturer if they may have suggestions. They said that this reaction sometimes occurs but offered no further explanation. We stopped after app 7 weeks. We tried again with no success.

There seems to be no information at all about this supplement and its side effects on the web, so I am curious if other parents have anything to say about this. Thanks!

FatherOf2

Re: Wakefulness with supplement

Postby FatherOf2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:35 am

Is that the one called 'Calm & Cool'? It contains dimagnesium malate. Malic acid is an energy booster, and in high quantities can be excitotoxic. L-theanine may also raise energy levels, but it depends on individual. GABA is useless, it doesn't cross BBB. Some say that if you react to GABA in any way, positively or negatively, that means your BBB is broken and you need to heal your gut. I am not sure if that is entirely correct though. The only things that are doing anything on that lists are myo-inositol and Taurine. Have you tried giving that supplement in the morning?

Also, keep in mind that buying supplements from little known shops without a track record of using high quality raw materials can lead to more harm than good because of contaminants. Ask that place to show you their GMP certificate and Certificate of Analysis for the product you have been giving to your daughter. CoA is more important because it shows how much contaminants (lead, mercury, bacteria, mold, etc) are in the supplement. Most companies buy raw materials from China, pack them into capsules or mix them into powders in USA, and put a label 'Made in USA according to GMP standards'. Reputable companies buy raw materials from reputable sources, hire 3rd parties to test for contaminants, and can provide you with the 3rd-party CoA. They do it to avoid being sued. If a small company sells you a supplement that causes a health damage and you sue them, they just declare bankruptcy. Many such small companies are mixing made-in-China powders in their garages. Nobody inspects their 'production facility' or the quality of raw materials. And they can do whatever they want. A warning sign: if you go to website selling something, and in the 'Contact us' you can't find the address or it is a PO Box address, run! 'Spectrum Awakening' has no phone number, no address.

Jillh

Postby Jillh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:06 pm

How are things going with your daughter? I just ordered Calm & Cool from Spectrum Awakening. Was that the product you gave? The company is Generation Rescue approved, im not sure if that matters, but after reading this thread now I'm second guessing it. Has anyone ever used this product? Thanks!

NEmom

Postby NEmom » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:29 am

Hi Jill,

We used Spectrum Awakening (by Metabolic Maintenance) first. I contacted the company after my daughter's sleeplessness, and they suggested Calm and Cool. Spectrum Awakening REALLY helped but kept her awake. Calm and Cool didn't do much at all but still kept her awake eventually.

It's very frustrating, because I wasn't able to gather any information from the doctor or our ND about which ingredient/s (or the interaction between them) may be the culprit. Interestingly, neither the creator of the supplement or our ND even mentioned anything like times of day or playing with amounts (both of which we did to no effect). The answer was simply, "That happens for some kids and you should stop taking it." I would take heart. My daughter is very sensitive and usually in the 1% of people with side effects. :) It may work for you!

FYI, we are slowly giving her what's in the supplement one pill at a time. We only have two ingredients to go (GABA and 5-HTP). So far, no sleeplessness.

Good luck to you!

Jillh

Postby Jillh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Thanks!! We tried Calm & Cool on 2 occasions. Both times it made him an emotional wreck. Poor guy:( May try micro dosing down the road. I think his pathways are super sluggish. I think his trouble is with L Theanine. Which brand of GABA are you giving? I may also try one at a time so I can isolate what he's not tolerating. Thanks!!!

NEmom

Postby NEmom » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:27 pm

:( I'm sorry to hear that it didn't help him. I purchased the Source Naturals brand of GABA but we haven't started it yet. We give each new supplement 5-6 days just to ensure no side effects. Taurine was the last one we added and after 5 days we started to have trouble with sleep again. I read that wakefulness is extremely rare with Taurine but then I remembered one other change. I read that you should give Theanine before a meal not after, so we started giving that to her first thing in the morning. She actually seems much calmer, but I wonder if that is what's affecting her sleep again. I'm interested in what you have noticed that makes you think L-theanine is what affects your son.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”