Experts Requested - First OATs Test

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

mommy4ev

Experts Requested - First OATs Test

Postby mommy4ev » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:13 pm

Hello, I am the mother to a 3 year old little boy who is on the spectrum. He says a handful of words (mostly nonverbal), stims (waves hands in front of his face), inconsistent eye contact, constipated, very picky eater, seems "glossy eyed" some days and has aggression. He recently had his first OATs test (Great Plains) and I would love any pointers:

Intestinal Microbial Overgrowth
Yeast and Fungal Markers
(7) Arabinose < 50 High (His level is 66)
(9) Tricarballylic < 1.3 High (His level is 4.1)

Clostridia Bacterial Markers
(16) HPHPA (c. sporogenes, c. caloritolerans, c. botulinum & others) <220 High (His level is 221)

Oxalate Metabolities
(20) Glycolic Range 27-221 low (His level is 18)

Neurotransmitter Metabolities
(39) Quinolinic/5-HIAA Ratio <2.5 High (his level is 5.5)

Nutritional Markers
(53) Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) <1.4 High (his level is 1.7 - which can mean b2 deficiency, fatty acid oxidation defects etc)

It is also noted that he has low dopamine, low serotonin, norepinephrine, high immune system, and low amino acids. I can provide the entire test. His MAPS doctor has recommended flagyl, a b complex vitamins, and an additional probiotic.

Any thoughts?

MelB1

Re: Experts Requested - First OATs Test

Postby MelB1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi mommy4ev,

I am not an expert but I could maybe comment on the elevated quinolonic acid which my sons also had. High levels of quinolinic acid can indicate immune activation which would result in low serotonin, overstimulation via activated NMDA receptors, and increased lipid peroxidation. The way we have addressed this issue is by first correcting selenium deficiency using 200 mcg of selenomethionine to decrease lipid peroxidation. Then and only then were we able to add a very low dose of nutritional lithium ( I am referring here to a mineral supplement put out by New Beginnings and not the psychiatric med). This decreased immune activation and quieted down NMDA receptors. We had indications of low lithium on a hair test but were not able to add it until we dealt with the selenium issue. Selenium and lithium both prevent viruses from replicating and help with autoimmunity. Possibly he was exposed to a virus and due to these deficiencies his immune system was overwhelmed and then didn't know how to shut off. Anyways, I think these are two supplements worth researching. Just be sure to remember the order of selenium first and then lithium so that you don't cause thyroid issues.

Melanie

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”