Starting Hard Chamber HBOT today

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Maxwell's Dad

Starting Hard Chamber HBOT today

Postby Maxwell's Dad » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:49 am

Starting Hard Chamber HBOT today for my son, Max. He's 4.5 y.o. We have 40 hrs/dives scheduled for the next two months. Monday thru Friday w/ the weekends off. 1.5 ata / 100% O2. I wanted to share with the group. Hopefully I'll be posting positive results as we progress thru this treatment. I'll keep you posted.
Take care all,
Maxwell's Dad

sowensnc

Re: Starting Hard Chamber HBOT today

Postby sowensnc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:13 pm

I'm just completing 40 hard chamber dives for my son this week. I, strongly, recommend having an antifungal regiment ready, as we saw some significant die-off symptoms when we started.

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:00 am

Hi Maxdad, please keep posting and i hope your child received positive feedback from Hard HBOT
We started mhbot for my son yesterday, I read many articles online that hbot could kill yeast, but many of parents said their children have yeast overgrowth.
May i have something in hand to prepare it? my son has yeast problem but we are not really use something on him except diet.

Thanks in advanced.

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:01 am

sowensnc wrote:I'm just completing 40 hard chamber dives for my son this week. I, strongly, recommend having an antifungal regiment ready, as we saw some significant die-off symptoms when we started.

Hi Sowensnc, may i ask do you see any good thing from it? thanks alot

sowensnc

Postby sowensnc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:46 pm

i-jerry wrote:
sowensnc wrote:I'm just completing 40 hard chamber dives for my son this week. I, strongly, recommend having an antifungal regiment ready, as we saw some significant die-off symptoms when we started.

I can't say that I see anything substantial after the 40 dives.

With that said, my son had some really really bad die off symptoms, so that may have masked any gains. I'm glad that I did the treatment, but definitely haven't seen any Oh Wow moments so far from it.

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:12 am

sowensnc wrote:
i-jerry wrote:

I can't say that I see anything substantial after the 40 dives.

With that said, my son had some really really bad die off symptoms, so that may have masked any gains. I'm glad that I did the treatment, but definitely haven't seen any Oh Wow moments so far from it.

Thank you! Does die off symptoms looks like yeast overgrowth?

Maxwell's Dad

Postby Maxwell's Dad » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:04 am

...just a little update:

So far, it’s going pretty well. I am still having a hard time getting him to wear the O2 hood but other than that, pretty good. (If he doesn’t have the hood on, I keep the O2 line directly in front of his nose, so he’s getting some pure O2 benefit.)

He had a good week and a great weekend. He’s been a bit more alert and answering questions quicker than before. (Often I’d have to ask three to five times before getting a response. Lately he answers his “yes” or “no” with in one or two requests.)

I’m not sure if any of this is related to the HBOT but it’s been a nice few days for Max and us.

...nothing to report in the way of a "Big Wow".

Maxwell's Dad

Postby Maxwell's Dad » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 am

So far, so good - three weeks down.

After about six dives in we have the hood on each time/all the time.

He had a good week and a great weekend. Expressive language has been up. He told my wife yesterday as she was putting his shoes on - "Ouch, you are hurting me." (90% of the time - everything is "yes" and "no" with Max.) He also went into his brother's room this morning and told him "Miles, I want to eat breakfast." (His friendly way of telling his brother to get out of bed so we can go eat.)

He has been very stimmy of late.

AGAIN - I’m not sure if any of this is related to the HBOT but it’s been nice.

Maxwell's Dad

Postby Maxwell's Dad » Tue May 02, 2017 7:43 am

30 hours down. No wows to speak of. A few little things here and there but I cannot correlate them w/ HBOT.

rlneub

Postby rlneub » Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 pm

How many days a week are you going?

Maxwell's Dad

Postby Maxwell's Dad » Wed May 03, 2017 7:43 am

5 days a week.

nautygarcon

Postby nautygarcon » Thu May 04, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi Sowensnc, may I ask why HBOT can cause die-off ? My son has severe gut issue (should be both yeast and bacteria problems) and also heavy metal problem (Hg and Lead).

Maxwell's Dad

Postby Maxwell's Dad » Fri May 19, 2017 10:10 am

40 hours completed. No big wows but a lot of small stuff - A bit more spontaneous language... Additional word to a sentence... more interest and affection with his little brother. Nothing too consistent but the past couple weeks have been some of the best we have had with him in a while. His potty training has regressed but we are working on that and making slow progress.

I have read that often gains w/ HBOT come after the sessions stop. I guess we'll see. I'll post again if we seem more progress in the next month or so.

Mommabear213

Postby Mommabear213 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:14 pm

I am trying to get my son to do the hard chamber and have been unsuccessful so far. Our Rx is for 2.0 ATA and we have only gotten up to 1.75. The pressure is killing our ears and the doc said he might need tubes to complete the treatment. Does anyone have any suggestions to help with the pressure? He won't chew gum and blowing his nose makes the pain worse.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Mommabear213 wrote:I am trying to get my son to do the hard chamber and have been unsuccessful so far. Our Rx is for 2.0 ATA and we have only gotten up to 1.75. The pressure is killing our ears and the doc said he might need tubes to complete the treatment. Does anyone have any suggestions to help with the pressure? He won't chew gum and blowing his nose makes the pain worse.

Why is the pressure so high? It is typically 1.5ATA. Studies showed no difference between 1.3ATA and 1.5ATA. So, I am assuming going from 1.5ATA to 2ATA would not be different. But I would like to hear the reasons.

For ears, try nasal decongestant.

Mommabear213

Postby Mommabear213 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:24 am

I didn't know that 2.0 was high for what the usual Rx is. The doc did not go into reasons behind the depth, just said that he would need at least 40- 90min treatments. He is being treated for autoimmune encephalitis (gets IVIG monthly for immunodeficiency) and just found out he has subclinical seizures so that's why we are doing this- (didn't tolerate depakote). Just started the nasal spray so I will see if that helps. Thank you!

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 am

Mommabear213 wrote:I didn't know that 2.0 was high for what the usual Rx is. The doc did not go into reasons behind the depth, just said that he would need at least 40- 90min treatments. He is being treated for autoimmune encephalitis (gets IVIG monthly for immunodeficiency) and just found out he has subclinical seizures so that's why we are doing this- (didn't tolerate depakote). Just started the nasal spray so I will see if that helps. Thank you!

Subclinical seizures... There are various opinions about HBOT and seizures. Some say it helps, some say it makes seizures worse or even causes seizures. I am not an expert, but logically oxygen causes oxidative stress, which can lead to seizures. That is why doctors advise to take large doses of vitamin C (3g) right before each dive. At least one parent here reported recently a partial seizure due to HBOT. But, on the other hand, HBOT reduces brain inflammation and potentially seizures due to it. For my son, it was great!

Mommabear213

Postby Mommabear213 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:47 am

I am giving him large doses of Vit C and other antioxidants. I think the rationale is that the inflammation is causing the seizures so in order to tackle that I need to do the HBOT or increase the IVIG. IVIG has been our best intervention so far and it has not been without risk. Many things we do have some level of risk but I wont ever know if this treatment can help unless I try. With the positive reports on this forum and in your child, I am very encouraged. Thank you for your help!

Mommabear213

Postby Mommabear213 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:36 pm

I am back for some more advice. We have not been able to get our treatments done because my sons ears are hurting. He has some non compliance with clearing his ears and the techs will not let us try again until he gets tubes inserted. My question is- should I wait a year until he is more compliant or get the tubes and complete the treatment. My concern is the anesthesia and potentially causing him more toxic stress. He will be turning 6 soon and still continues to improve with every IVIG. I don't want to make him worse by putting him under. I am tossing around the idea of changing facilities and wondering if anyone knows of a mulitplace chamber in the chicago area other than the one in deerfield? I would even entertain traveling out of state to another facility that is familiar with treating autistic kids.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Mommabear213 wrote:I am back for some more advice. We have not been able to get our treatments done because my sons ears are hurting. He has some non compliance with clearing his ears and the techs will not let us try again until he gets tubes inserted. My question is- should I wait a year until he is more compliant or get the tubes and complete the treatment. My concern is the anesthesia and potentially causing him more toxic stress. He will be turning 6 soon and still continues to improve with every IVIG. I don't want to make him worse by putting him under. I am tossing around the idea of changing facilities and wondering if anyone knows of a mulitplace chamber in the chicago area other than the one in deerfield? I would even entertain traveling out of state to another facility that is familiar with treating autistic kids.

If IVIG is helping so well, I wouldn't "rock the boat" and start another treatment in parallel. You can always do HBOT later, when you finish IVIG. How did you get a prescription for IVIG? Did your son have severe allergies or other immune abnormalities in his blood tests? I was unable to get a prescription for IVIG in USA because MD's told me that my son didn't qualify (autism is not an FDA approved condition for IVIG). How often does your son get an IVIG and what positives do you notice? Do the results stay if you stop IVIG for a few months?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9512308 ...In none of these children did the parents feel that the improvement was sufficient to warrant further continuation of the infusions beyond the termination of the program. Only in one child was there a very significant improvement, with almost total amelioration of autistic symptoms over the time period of the four infusions. Once the treatment program was completed, this child gradually deteriorated over a 5-month time period and fully reverted to his previous autistic state.

By the way, ear tubes are pretty common, but I personally would hesitate to put them into my son's ears.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”