Ultrasounds and ASD

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

makingitpossible
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25 am

Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby makingitpossible » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:28 am

I am wondering how many ultrasounds people had in their pregnancies with their ASD kiddos. I had 4-5 I believe. I didn't realize until recently there were studies on brain damage, DNA fragmentation and even ASD with ultrasound use.

EmilyV
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:41 pm

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby EmilyV » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:30 pm

i had a lot - maybe 10-15 due to some initial problems with pregnancy. Can you give a link to any of such studies?

makingitpossible
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25 am

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby makingitpossible » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:42 am

Here are some studies: http://www.ultrasound-autism.org/?page_id=10

Here is a good video from 1993: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-8szqgtX_GQ

The instensity of the ultrasounds have went up 8 times since the 1993 video.

I just ordered this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Studies-Conducte ... B00X06QDYS

Study looking at nueron migration with ultrasound in mice:
http://www.pnas.org/content/103/34/12903.full

There is a lot out there. I am 14 weeks pregnant right now. I did Harmony blood draw a couple weeks ago (now they can tell you sex and if you have trisomy just by drawing your blood) and they wanted me to do an ultrasound to determine if it was twins or just one. I decided to look that morning because I question everything now. I went in for the ultrasound and told the technician we are just peeking to see if there is one. She said she had to follow standard protocol. I asked her how long that would take she said about 20 minutes. I said ok nevermind and she was so confused. She said I guess I can take a peek. So my ultrasound was roughly 30-60 seconds. I totally regret this now. It was so hot I can't believe I didn't notice it before.
I had two very early ones with my daughter with ASD. There is a link I am just not sure why it affects some more than others. They give twins many ultrasounds often and I have met a lot of twins with ASD. It is crazy. How hard is it not to get an ultrasound. No one knows unfortunately.

EmilyV
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:41 pm

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby EmilyV » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:12 pm

thanks. I would try to avoid unnecessary ultrasounds anyway. The thing is, in humans women with more problems during pregnancy receive more ultrasounds, and this will make it hard to say what is the real cause - problems with pregnancy or u/s. In humans they are usually done for less than 30 mins though

makingitpossible
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25 am

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby makingitpossible » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:43 am

I read the average number of ultrasounds now is 4.5 per healthy pregnancy. I know a lot of pregnant women right now and they are getting quite a few and they have healthy pregnancies. I think the trend is more and more.
I had to switch from my birthing center to a family practice physician to avoid my 20 week. I called about 20 midwives and none will touch me without an ultrasound at 20 weeks and I am not at risk for anything. It is weird because I am not sure their basis on it. Everybody thinks the world will end if you don't vaccinate but the research on the ultrasounds say they do not improve fetal outcome and in fact the death rate is slightly higher in the ultrasound groups. Ironically the doctors don't really push like the midwives even the ones that don't perform C-sections.

Winnie
Posts: 4227
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:48 pm

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby Winnie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:34 pm

makingitpossible wrote:I had to switch from my birthing center to a family practice physician to avoid my 20 week. I called about 20 midwives and none will touch me without an ultrasound at 20 weeks and I am not at risk for anything. It is weird because I am not sure their basis on it.


Have you shared your medical history/records?

Since you reported that your previous pregnancy was complicated by serious malnutrition, HELLP Syndrome, being Group B Strep positive, and requiring a C-section, healthcare providers may consider your medical history as a basis.

And since you intend to refuse IV antibiotics (and c-section) in the event you are GBS positive, this might scare away healthcare providers considering the risk to the infant. The risk to unborn mice who receive 30+ minute ultrasounds pales in comparison to the very real risk of Strep B infection in a newborn of an untreated GBS-positive mother.

Like Emilyv indicated, since expectant mothers at increased risk also receive more ultrasounds, one cannot assume that the number of ultrasounds increased the risk of autism (or anything else) for the infant. It may be related to the risk factors present which prompted the ultrasounds instead.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

makingitpossible
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25 am

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby makingitpossible » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:43 am

You are hilarious and no I am not high risk. Check your notes. I had a successful VBAC with no complications in 2015. You should spend another 30 minutes researching me you freaking annoying creeper.
Check your research too on what factors other countries with lower infant mortality rates do compared to the US such as consider risk factors such as preterm birth and do not universally give antibiotics to 40% of women giving birth.
Last pregnancy I was also strep B negative. Come on creeper why isn't IV chelation discussed here you are losing your touch. I also don't understand why the block doesn't work as I blocked you many times Paul Offit.

Winnie
Posts: 4227
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:48 pm

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby Winnie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:28 pm

makingitpossible wrote:Come on creeper why isn't IV chelation discussed here you are losing your touch. I also don't understand why the block doesn't work as I blocked you many times Paul Offit.


Because your treatment experiments and conspiratorial thinking are beyond the scope of this thread.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

raun cesar
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:17 am

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby raun cesar » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:07 am

It’s safe to say around 7 is the number, averages won’t matter they do it anyway. Good Luck with the baby

Winnie
Posts: 4227
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:48 pm

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby Winnie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:26 pm

raun cesar wrote:It’s safe to say around 7 is the number, averages won’t matter they do it anyway. Good Luck with the baby


Unless there is a problem, it's probably only 1 or maybe 2. There isn't any reason to routinely use ultrasound without a medically valid reason.

Info from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists:

http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Ultrasound-Exams#during
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

HALT1980
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby HALT1980 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:43 am

Hi makingnitpossible. With my daughter who has ASD, we had one ultrasound, I believe. I don't remember even having one towards the end to check position.

I have 6 kids and one one on the way now. I've had the most ultrasounds with my 5th. I had, if I remember correctly 3 full ultrasounds plus one to check position at the end. I'm not saying ultrasounds can't be related to ASD but I have my doubts.

None of my other kids have autism or autism spectrum disorders. We have typically only had one full ultrasound with the kids and 1 other small ones at the beginning (I always go in late for my first appointment around 4 mo.) and one at the end with my 1st, 4th and 5th. My third was a home birth and I had one ultrasound with her also.
the old "mommyjen"
~Mommy to 6 wonderful kids~

makingitpossible
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25 am

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby makingitpossible » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:01 am

I don't think there is any one thing that causes autism for everybody obviously. It is a cumulative effect but I have talked to a few families who had around 20 ultrasounds and no other obvious risk factors that are talked about and their kids got hit hard with autism. I personally don't see the value in ultrasounds and won't take the risks. The studies conclude they do not improve fetal outcome so really they are more for keepsakes. They seem to misdiagnose more than they correctly diagnose from people I have talked to. When I started talking about it I literally got 4 stories in one week of women who were misdiagnosed from anything from Edward syndrome to heart defects and their babies were fine. The infant mortality rate in the US is so terrible compared to most industrialized countries everything is worth considering.

raun cesar
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:17 am

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby raun cesar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:03 am

Winnie wrote:
raun cesar wrote:It’s safe to say around 7 is the number, averages won’t matter they do it anyway. Good Luck with the baby


Unless there is a problem, it's probably only 1 or maybe 2. There isn't any reason to routinely use ultrasound without a medically valid reason.

Info from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists:

http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Ultrasound-Exams#during


Yes 1 or maybe 2 in normal cases i totally agree winnie

Nikkie111
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:26 am

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby Nikkie111 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:44 am

makingitpossible wrote:I don't think there is any one thing that causes autism for everybody obviously. It is a cumulative effect but I have talked to a few families who had around 20 ultrasounds and no other obvious risk factors that are talked about and their kids got hit hard with autism. I personally don't see the value in ultrasounds and won't take the risks. The studies conclude they do not improve fetal outcome so really they are more for keepsakes. They seem to misdiagnose more than they correctly diagnose from people I have talked to. When I started talking about it I literally got 4 stories in one week of women who were misdiagnosed from anything from Edward syndrome to heart defects and their babies were fine. The infant mortality rate in the US is so terrible compared to most industrialized countries everything is worth considering.

But how can you see a hole or another defect in the heart or a limp missing or dwarfism or anything else without ultrasounds?
My mates baby was diagnosed with extra liquid in the brain (sorry can't remember the name of the disease) but ultimately the baby would die within days after the birth. Surely ultrasounds have helped with the early identification of those issues. There are also better technics for diagnosing Down syndrome etc based on the harmony test rather than going through painful interventions

Massive congratulations by the way it's absolutely fantastic that you're having another one xxx

makingitpossible
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25 am

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby makingitpossible » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:32 am

Nikkie111 wrote:
makingitpossible wrote:I don't think there is any one thing that causes autism for everybody obviously. It is a cumulative effect but I have talked to a few families who had around 20 ultrasounds and no other obvious risk factors that are talked about and their kids got hit hard with autism. I personally don't see the value in ultrasounds and won't take the risks. The studies conclude they do not improve fetal outcome so really they are more for keepsakes. They seem to misdiagnose more than they correctly diagnose from people I have talked to. When I started talking about it I literally got 4 stories in one week of women who were misdiagnosed from anything from Edward syndrome to heart defects and their babies were fine. The infant mortality rate in the US is so terrible compared to most industrialized countries everything is worth considering.

But how can you see a hole or another defect in the heart or a limp missing or dwarfism or anything else without ultrasounds?
My mates baby was diagnosed with extra liquid in the brain (sorry can't remember the name of the disease) but ultimately the baby would die within days after the birth. Surely ultrasounds have helped with the early identification of those issues. There are also better technics for diagnosing Down syndrome etc based on the harmony test rather than going through painful interventions

Massive congratulations by the way it's absolutely fantastic that you're having another one xxx


Thank you! This is the way I look at ultrasounds. Do they potentially save a few lives. Probably. Are they worth the risks, not for me. I have read a total of 63 studies now. If my baby has a defect so be it but chances are he does not so I am not risking his health for a what if. And with how much they misdiagnose and how much stress that causes....no thanks.

makingitpossible
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25 am

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby makingitpossible » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:49 am

raun cesar wrote:
Winnie wrote:
raun cesar wrote:It’s safe to say around 7 is the number, averages won’t matter they do it anyway. Good Luck with the baby


Unless there is a problem, it's probably only 1 or maybe 2. There isn't any reason to routinely use ultrasound without a medically valid reason.

Info from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists:

http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Ultrasound-Exams#during


Yes 1 or maybe 2 in normal cases i totally agree winnie


Not according to studies. The average woman gets about 5.2. Since I started talking to women about this I found one woman who got 3 the rest got many more. One got 4 and she was 14 weeks. http://www.whattoexpect.com/wom/pregnan ... unds-.aspx

i-jerry
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Re: Ultrasounds and ASD

Postby i-jerry » Thu May 11, 2017 6:58 am

We had my son when i was 25 and my husband was 30. Only 2 ultrasounds 3 and 5 month i think.


Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”