Bilateral Stimulation

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Jillh

Bilateral Stimulation

Postby Jillh » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:51 pm

Has anyone heard of or tried Bilateral Stimulation? Specific the Buzzies product? From what I understand is it's two small devices you wear like watches on either side of your body. Can also be put in pockets or socks. But the devices vibrate in a pattern set up to promote calmness, focus, reduce anxiety or help with anger or sleep. It does have data behind it showing brain scans and such. I believe it was first used on Individuals suffering from PTSD to get through traumatic episodes. There are other types of bilateral stimulation methods like the "Butterfly Hug" and the use of visuals. But this is something that the person doesn't have to take the time to do the methods. It's delivered through the device. Please let me know if any thoughts or experiences. Thanks!!

FatherOf2

Re: Bilateral Stimulation

Postby FatherOf2 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:28 pm

It is interesting. I wonder how loud these Buzzies are and whether school teachers would allow them in class. By the way, I can understand how the vibrartions and sound can help. Every time I hear a lawn mower going or somebody vacuuming, I have relaxing waves running up my spine, on the back of neck, sending me into a trance. I have the same feeling if someone gently scratches my back with their nails. For me personally, it absolutely destroys my focus. I can not concentrate on anything until the pleasing sound or scratching stops. I saw an ABC news video about Buzzies helping an autistic 17yo boy, but unfortunately they didn't show testimonies of his teachers or let the boy himself explain how Buzzies help him, which will be much more important than a testimony from his mom or the boy's doctor. The boy obviously was capable of telling about his experience with Buzzies because he very well explained in the video that "every day of my life there's a story going on in my head, a literal actual story with a plot and everything".

"That is until his neuropsychologist, Dr. Amy Serin, PhD, suggested trying her new therapeutic technology called Buzzies. Teaming up with Vicki Mayo, who runs a large IT company, the two co-founded TouchPoint Solution to develop Buzzies"

Great, the boy's doctor, who prescribed Buzzies, had a vested interest in those. Seems like a "circle of mom" pitching their wonder cure, just like a familiar AC chelation circle of mom pitching their books and supplements. IMHO.

Jillh

Postby Jillh » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:23 pm

I don't believe they are loud. I only say that because some of the interviews I watched they have them on and you can't hear anything. It is very interesting and something I'm going to keep my eye on. Thinking to let some time pass and get more feedback. I did find some helpful videos on YouTube. One in particular showed a young child calming down w Buzzies after a meltdown. I honestly don't know that my son would even tolerate wearing them on his wrists. They say you can put them in pockets or socks. Right, that's the equivalent of me sending him to school with $150 in each pocket and hoping he doesn't take it out.
The nice thing is I asked the company what their return policy is in the event he wouldn't wear them or if he didn't receive any benefit, they said 30 days.
I'm still on the fence. But hopeful this is something that works!

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:04 am

The price is unacceptably high on these Buzzies. Their website says $239 for a set of 2 Buzzies. As you, I would be concerned giving them to my child to school. My son doesn't like wearing anything on his wrist either. To activate them you need a phone app. That is cumbersome. The teacher or aid has to be on board, install the app on her/his phone, take it out when needed, find the app, establish the connection (Blutooth), turn the Buzzies - all of this takes time. I know my son's teacher or aid wouldn't do any of that. Plus, wouldn't it much faster and more effective just taking the child's hands into your hands and gently squeezing them? Or gently squeezing forearms, or down on the shoulders - all OT techniques that are proven to be effective in calming? If the teacher or aid doesn't do any of that, why would she or he take the time with Buzzies? I watched several videos too and noticed that most of them used adults as subjects. One lady was smiling into the camera and talking how Buzzies help her to deal with anxiety. Either Buzzies are so effective for anxiety that she can talk into the camera without a hint of anxiety or all these stories are just sales pitches. The other thing to keep in mind is that there are already vibrators in cell phones and you can buy those cheaply for about $10-20 and experiment before committing $239 on something that may not be effective or easy to use. But first try the squeezing OT techniques I mentioned.

raun cesar

Postby raun cesar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:34 am

In my neighbor a boy used these Buzzies, they are very happy using it and it made his life better. They are bit expensive but it worth the cause

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Now you can buy Fidget Spinners on Amazon for $2-15 vs $240 for Buzzies. Same purpose (ADHD, anxiety). Quite popular among kids and disturbing to teachers according to a slew of news articles that started appearing recently. I just bought this one for my son:

https://www.amazon.com/Zekpro-Anti-Anxiety-Focusing-Adults-Best-Relieves/dp/B01N7T7FPY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1495066463&sr=8-5&keywords=spinner+fidget

I know it is a throw away $13 toy, but hey, why not.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”