Need HELP to get started w/Biomedical for 14yr old

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

TravonMom

Need HELP to get started w/Biomedical for 14yr old

Postby TravonMom » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:57 pm

My son is 14years old, non-verbal with PDD and I was reading on here that it's never too late, to make a change. I have been winging this on my own for the past 14yrs with the help of my family. My son got diagnosed at 2yrs old, we've been doing SPT and OT. I was never told about Bio-medicine or Supplements at one point it was mentioned about a gluten free diet, but my son eats any and everything so there was no sensitivity to food. Around 6yrs old he was put on Clonodine to help with sleep(didnt work), then 7yrs old he was put on Tenex 1mg, that was it until about 2 years ago we up that dosage to 1mg 2x a day. Now the last 2 months have been a real struggle with us, his aggression at school has gotten out of hand so he was placed on Abilify. He's only been on it for a few weeks I can't really tell if it's helping or not. Researching about the sudden aggression led me to this website and after reading a forum about it being "to late" has led me to start this journey with him. My question is where and how do I start? I'm leading toward doing the Chelation but which one? Does his doctor need to prescribe the pills? What supplements do I start with or try, how do I get them? Can I start these with him still on the medication? I'm trying to research all I can because I want to start as soon as school is out for the summer so if there is a bad reaction it won't affect school or should I start sooner?

Any help, advice, suggestions, are greatly appreciated

FatherOf2

Re: Need HELP to get started w/Biomedical for 14yr old

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:45 am

Abilify is a good one according to some psychiatrists I talked to. I have my own theory about aggression. There is obviously a genetic predisposition, but awareness about his/her own actions is more important. Also being able to communicate. Lack of language could be adding to the problem. So you need to treat the whole condition, not just anger. Start with 24hr EEG to see if there are any abnormalities. I am not even talking about seizures, which should be obviously treated, but any abnormalities preventing the brain from thinking clearly. Any abnormalities must be treated with anti-seizure meds. To address anger specifically, you need to eliminate sugar and any dopamine boosting substances like coffee or ADHD meds. Chelation can make anger issues worse, like in my son's case.

riggie

Postby riggie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:40 am

I implore you to seek care from a MAPS physician. Every child's underlying symptoms are different and for example while chelation may bring huge improvements for one child where not so much for another. It is a complex maze and there are some incredible Drs. here that are focused in this area. http://www.medmaps.org/clinician-directory/

By the way, just because your child may eat "everything" doesn't necessarily mean that your son isn't reacting to certain ones. Food reactions can manifest in behavioral reactions. TACA is an organization that helped us tremendously in healing our daughter. http://www.tacanow.org/

TravonMom

Postby TravonMom » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:10 pm

fatherof2
You are so knowledgeable with this, how is your son doing at this moment? I believe my son had a sleep deprived EEG when he was going thru the diagnosis process at age 2, could I use this to see if there are any abnormalities. Honestly I cannot remember the outcome of it. We have visited his regular physician and she is referring us to a Dr in town that deals with autistic children. Not to many in this area. So I will be asking for the 24hr EEG with him. We have been in contact with some ABA therapists and I think we have decided on one, but our insurance doesn't cover it yet, they refereed us to get a Waiver that will, so that will be about another 2-3 month process. I've read a few of your other post and I have SO many questions if you are willing to help. Without Dr involvement what supplements would you suggest to start off with and where to get them? I've gathered me a list from the supplements you've seem to have success with
-Fish Oil
-B-Complex
-Taurine
-Piracetam
You've mentioned HBOT therapy is my son to old for this? What about help with sleep? We've tried Clonodine, Melatonin, Melatonin XR...they actually seem to have the opposite effect on him.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:47 am

TravonMom wrote:fatherof2
You are so knowledgeable with this, how is your son doing at this moment? I believe my son had a sleep deprived EEG when he was going thru the diagnosis process at age 2, could I use this to see if there are any abnormalities. Honestly I cannot remember the outcome of it. We have visited his regular physician and she is referring us to a Dr in town that deals with autistic children. Not to many in this area. So I will be asking for the 24hr EEG with him. We have been in contact with some ABA therapists and I think we have decided on one, but our insurance doesn't cover it yet, they refereed us to get a Waiver that will, so that will be about another 2-3 month process. I've read a few of your other post and I have SO many questions if you are willing to help. Without Dr involvement what supplements would you suggest to start off with and where to get them? I've gathered me a list from the supplements you've seem to have success with
-Fish Oil
-B-Complex
-Taurine
-Piracetam
You've mentioned HBOT therapy is my son to old for this? What about help with sleep? We've tried Clonodine, Melatonin, Melatonin XR...they actually seem to have the opposite effect on him.

You need to repeat EEG. Most neurologists would ignore abnormalities if they are not seizures. You have to insist on treating them. Trileptal is a good anti-seizure medication with very few side effects and helping with anger too. Lamictal is also very good, but I noticed that it doesn't help with anger as much as Trileptal.

Your list is pretty good. Taurine is great. We give it before bed. It is the only thing that helped with sleep after trying melatonin, tryptophan (2nd best), and some others. Piracetam is also very good. You see the effect on memory right away. I don't see much immediate effects from fish oil and B-complex but I give them to my son just in case.

In my experience with so many supplements, most of them are either useless or their effect lasts for a short time. I saw most lasting effects from mentioned AED's and Piracetam (helped my son to start talking at age 3). HBOT is really great (we did 3 rounds of 40 dives), but some people here report seizures. So, perhaps you should first check EEG and, if abnormal, start AED. Then you can do HBOT. It is never too late. People at any age with brain injuries can recover and heal their brain through exercises (e.g. Brain Highways), HBOT and anti-oxidants.

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:05 am

TravonMom wrote:In my experience with so many supplements, most of them are either useless or their effect lasts for a short time.

maybe this is why
http://theheartysoul.com/fake-supplements/?t=DrM
Do you shop at Walgreens, Walmart, GNC or Target?

Well, you might want to rethink your choice to buy supplements at these 4 national retailers. Recently, these stores have been exposed for selling bogus, potentially harmful herbal supplements to their customers. These “supplements” that claim to be full of healthy herbal mixtures are in fact full of “cheap fillers” that include:

– Common house plants

– Radish

– Wheat

– Soy

– Beans

– Peas

– Legumes

– Rice
http://spectrumsleuth.fr.yuku.com/forums/11/General/General

OneRockAtATime

Postby OneRockAtATime » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:17 pm

You can start while he is in school and chelation is not a good place to start. I'm not saying don't try it, just there are many things you might want to get on board before you even begin to think about it. Many supplements are known to not cause behaviors but can be very supportive to your child's system.

Vitamin D3 and C would be good places to start.

The post above about places not selling good supplements is very true. Amazon is your friend when it comes to buying supplements. There are some wicked smart people who will be able to tell you where they come from if the company has lost accreditation with cleanliness, and what forms work best.

Also, and this is the most important thing I can tell you, "Only add one supplement at a time, and then give it about two weeks to see if there is any negative reaction." While things like D3 might not actually do anything you can see right away, if we don't take it we are sick all the time. So while it has little impact on his autism symptoms, it makes life much easier.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”