My supplement/drug list for ASD

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

FatherOf2

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:27 pm

I stopped giving Sarcosine to my son because I haven't noticed anything in over a month. Yesterday I started him on EGCG from Teavigo. He became more active, talked and played more. This morning he got red ears from Niacin (it usually lasts for 15 minutes). If before he would get angry and concerned about his red ears, closing them with his hands and sometimes hitting them, today he just calmly said "cool air in the classroom will cool them down". So far so good. Interestingly, besides being an antioxidant, reducing histamine and stabilizing mast cells, EGCG inhibits the DYRK1A enzyme, which is a culprit of Down Synrdome, and as such it improves cognition in Down patients. It also known to chelate metals from both intestines and brain cells. So, need to supplement with Iron to prevent its loss.

Last week I noticed that my son started forgetting the meaning of some words like prepositions and wh-questions. I think it is because of HBOT, which we are doing for 4th time (half way through 40 dives). I noticed before that HBOT negatively affected his language even though it improved all other symptoms (awareness, mood, etc). I can only explain that by oxidative stress from oxygen. We are giving 1g of vit C before each dive, but perhaps that is not enough. I guess oxidative stress leads to poor language skills. I looked up other strong anti-oxidants here, sorted by the Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity: https://www.superfoodly.com/orac-values/. Astaxanthin is on the top with ORAC of 2,822,200. Oregano and Bacopa are also close to the top.

Marya

Postby Marya » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:53 pm

Have you started giving Gastrodin to your son? I have read about it and it seems very good for BDNF.
From my experience, oxidative stress plays a big and important role in langugae skills, cognition, mood and overall well being. Last year when I started taking Vitamin C 1g, Pycnogenol 100mg and MSM 3g. I was feeling very well and I became almost normal.
My test came up with Glutathione deficiency and Mitochondrial oxidative stress. I feel that anything increase Glutathione makes me feel well. I should take Mangense for Mitochondrial oxidative but I haven't yet.
From my research Selenium and Resveratrol are the top antioxidants as well but I haven't tried hem.
Probably you would need Selenium with Vitamin C for the best result.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:26 pm

I have been giving Selenium for more than a year. If increasing glutathione helps so much and you tolerate sulfur (e.g. MSM), you should seriously consider Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA or R-ALA). It is a main treatment of some parents here, a very potent booster of glutathione. NAC comes second, and is also recommended for schizophrenia. Milk Thistle presumably also increases glutathione, but I never saw anything from it.

I started Gastrodin on myself. I took it for two days. I didn't feel anything. I started having cold-like symptoms today. I will probably stop because it is known to downregulate the immune system.

What appears work well on my son are mast cell stabilizers such as Quercetin and EGCG. I think they relieve my son's allergy to dust and pollen. He also has been having elevated eosinophils ever since we started taking his blood tests, doctors don't know why, but one of the mutations make him susceptible to eosinophilia. Along with mast cells, eosinophils cause inflammation associated with allergy and asthma. I started looking at other mast cell stabilizers such as Astragalus. Not only it stabilizes mast cells, but it also boosts immune system, NGF/BDNF, prevents neuronal death from injuries. Nikkie had good results with it as part of Bruhner protocol.

Marya

Postby Marya » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:55 pm

I tried ALA last year but I didn't like it(Maybe because it chelate too much), I might take it again though. But I would prefer MSM and I will probably give NAC a try. By the way my brother is doing very well on NAC, Thank God! It has been now 2 weeks and the result is awesome!
I will also give him B3 next month when we are certain about NAC results.
To be honest my brother is allergy to dust and pollen as well and he had asthma for 10 years when he was a child, he had been taken Ventolin for all that time. But his allergy got better when he was 15 years old. I didn't know about mast cells, probably that what cause him asthma along with other issues. I would try Astragalus on my brother, but how to find about mast cells issues? Was that on genes test?

Gastrodin and Lion's mane mushroom are the new hope for me. I didn't know that Gastrodin downregulate the immune system, my immune system is not that strong to try it but I would love the good benefits for the brain, I have read a lot about it and it seems promising for brain injury-disorders.
Probably Lion's mane is better and more safe in this case.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:07 pm

I started my son on Vayarin again about 1.5 months ago, just a single capsule in the morning. I didn't notice anything. Someone recommended 2 capsuled per dose. I did that yesterday, and my son became very stimmy and SIBs came back big time. He kept hitting his head with his hand on any minor frustration or dissapointment. At school, he laid down on the floor and banged his head on the floor as a protest. That hasnt happened in more than 1.5 years ever since I started him on Trileptal. Each capsule of Vayarin contains 75mg of PS. PS is known to reduce cortisol levels. I think that is the mechanism for sparking SIBs. Anything that reduces blood sugar or cortisol gives SIBs to my son. Based on my son high sensitivity to drops in cortisol and blood sugar levels and the fact that he was bold for the first 2 years of his life, his thyroid might be hypofunctioning. I need to look at boosting his thyroid, which may address his anxiety isdues as well. Any other opinions?

Marya

Postby Marya » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:21 pm

Sorry to hear about your son Fatherof2. Hope he get better soon. I didn't know about Vayarin, but I looked it up and I found that it contains phosphatidylserine (PS), EPA, and DHA. I tried PS myself and I didn't feel right, the first time I had a serious headache on my left side of my head, I then tried another brand and it was better but then I felt wired, probably it was fixing something but in general I didn't like it.
Probably Vayarin is quite strong that's why your son felt that way but his body might get used and adapt to it. Maybe it is good to try it on holiday or on the weekends and if the side effects remain stop it. Sometimes When I try some new supplements I don't feel ok but I keep using them to be certain, and some supplements really fix what is not right that's why we don't feel comfortable the first days because it is not the way we get used to.

I would advice you if you like Vayarin, to try PS on its own and Super Omega 3 on its own and see how your son reacts. Also check his thyroid to be on the safe side. Magnesium is very good to stable blood sugar, I think my blood sugar is low because when I stand up I feel dizzy sometimes and when I've started taking Magnesium I felt much better. I'm doing my reasech these days on Magnesium and will update here when I finish. Hopefully people here also advise what they think about Vayarin.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:31 pm

FatherOf2 wrote:I started my son on Vayarin again about 1.5 months ago, just a single capsule in the morning. I didn't notice anything. Someone recommended 2 capsuled per dose. I did that yesterday, and my son became very stimmy and SIBs came back big time. He kept hitting his head with his hand on any minor frustration or dissapointment. At school, he laid down on the floor and banged his head on the floor as a protest. That hasnt happened in more than 1.5 years ever since I started him on Trileptal. Each capsule of Vayarin contains 75mg of PS. PS is known to reduce cortisol levels. I think that is the mechanism for sparking SIBs. Anything that reduces blood sugar or cortisol gives SIBs to my son. Based on my son high sensitivity to drops in cortisol and blood sugar levels and the fact that he was bold for the first 2 years of his life, his thyroid might be hypofunctioning. I need to look at boosting his thyroid, which may address his anxiety isdues as well. Any other opinions?

Fo2 we had borderline thyroid problem, his TSH was bit high and only came down after (I suspect) some of the gut bacteria disappeared - he had loads! Now his TSH is perfect but he has slight T4 to T3 conversion issue which I know will be resolved after rest of bacteria are gone! His TSH was resolved just about when his stimming stopped .Thyroid is extremely affected by gut situation/histamine and in most cases of Asd there is an underlying issue and if you test pls test for T3 as well
Thyromate is supposed to help with thyroid but ultimately gut has to be clean ...

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:58 pm

We tested for thyroid back in 2014 and got high TSH of 4.82 (normal range was 0.5-4.3mIU/L). The doctor said that TSH tends to vary a lot depending on stress. So, we repeated the test and it cam back normal: TSH = 3.67 (normal range was 0.35-5.0mIU/L), free T3 = 3.8, free T4 = 1.06. We ended not treating it. But I am only now starting connecting the dots:
1. Son lost all hair shortly after birth and was bold for about 2 years. Babies tend to go through periods of hair growth and loss, but being bold for almost 2 years indicates potential hormone imbalance (hypothyroidism).
2. Son had delayed tooth growth. He had bulging gums, but no teeth for a while. This is slso a sign of hypothoroidism.
3. Son had pretty bad reaction to chelation. After rounds 4-8 he became very defiant, touchy, angry, with lots of SIBs. It took about 2 months to recover after each of those last chelation rounds. Chelators like DMSA and DMPS are known to cause adrenal fatigue, i.e. adrenal glands can no longer produce enough cortisol.
4. My son always gets irritable and touchy following any supplements that reduce blood sugar or cortisol levels such as Phosphatidylserine (not just Vayarin, but other brands too), Ashwagandha, Curcumin. PS definiteley drops his blood sugar because when I increased his Vayarin to 2 capsules yesterday, not only he got touchy and self-injurious, but also very hungry.
5. He has anxiety issues, brain fog, pale dry skin, cold hands and feet, sensitive to cold, sweats rarely, thin.

All this points to either adrenal fatigue or hypothoroid (https://www.drlam.com/blog/adrenal-fatigue-vs-hypothyroidism-part-1/3643/). I just scheduled an appointment to see endocrinologist.

Nikkie, Thyromate contains Ashwagandha, which causes my son to become irritable. It is interesting how some supplements like PS and Ashwgandha are called "regulating" the cortisol level, but in reality they reduce it. L-Tyrosine is an interesting one. I was staying away from it because it increases dopamine, which may lead to irritability, but it is also necessary for the manufacture of T4. I will look into GI health, but my son didn't have stool problems or bacterial infections in the past 4 years. What would the signs of GI bacterial infections be?
Last edited by FatherOf2 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:11 am

FatherOf2 wrote:We tested for thyroid back in 2014 and got high TSH of 4.82 (normal range was 0.5-4.3mIU/L). The doctor said that TSH tends to vary a lot depending on stress. So, we repeated the test and it cam back normal: TSH = 3.67 (normal range was 0.35-5.0mIU/L), free T3 = 3.8, free T4 = 1.06. We ended not treating it. But I am only now starting connecting the dots:
1. Son lost all hair shortly after birth and was bold for about 2 years. Babies tend to go through periods of hair growth and loss, but being bold for almost 2 years indicates potential hormone imbalance (hypothyroidism)
2. Son had pretty bad reaction to chelation. After rounds 4-8 he became very defiant, touchy, angry, with lots of SIBs. It took about 2 months to recover after each of those last chelation rounds. Chelators like DMSA and DMPS are known to cause adrenal fatigue, i.e. adrenal glands can no longer produce enough cortisol.
3. My son always gets irritable and touchy following any supplements that reduce blood sugar or cortisol levels such as Phosphatidylserine (not just Vayarin, but other brands too), Ashwagandha, Curcumin. PS definiteley drops his blood sugar because when I increased his Vayarin to 2 capsules yesterday, not only he got touchy and self-injurious, but also very hungry.
4. He has anxiety issues, brain fog, pale dry skin, cold hands and feet, sensitive to cold, sweats rarely, thin.

All this points to either adrenal fatigue or hypothoroid or even diabetes (https://www.drlam.com/blog/adrenal-fatigue-vs-hypothyroidism-part-1/3643/). I just scheduled an appointment to see endocrinologist.

Nikkie, Thyromate contains Ashwagandha, which causes my son to become irritable. It is interesting how some supplements like PS and Ashwgandha are called "regulating" the cortisol level, but in reality they reduce it. L-Tyrosine is an interesting one. I was staying away from it because it increases dopamine, which may lead to irritability, but it is also necessary for the manufacture of T4. I will look into GI health, but my son didn't have stool problems or bacterial infections in the past 4 years. What would the signs of GI bacterial infections be?

You did a genova microbial test? It had no bacteria at all? You're one of the lucky ones then :-)
Have you checked his histamine then? Banging of head etc could mean high histamine/MCAD especially as he reacts well on quercetin. If you have the patience you can do one more stool test just for the gut infections and a urine one just for clostridia as treating those can help masively with self injuries

Have your ever tried palmitoylethanolamide?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:41 am

We did a couple of stool and OAT tests 3-4 years ago. No problems with bacteria, but yeast was elevated (Krusei and Baker's yeast). My son showed strong allergy to Baker's yeast in his blood test. We stopped two supplements that contained baker's yeast (Threelac and Floradix) and that resolved his loose stools back then.

Tyrosine still scares me after reading this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/comments/61k6zd/need_some_help_schizophrenia_and_ltyrosine/. Palmitoylethanolamide looks interesting. I will read more. Have you tried it?

My son was better yesterday on just one capsule of Vayarin, but still touchy. For now, I am going to stop Vayarin and EGCG (I started EGCG on weekend). Perhaps EGCG removes too much iron. I will try it again alone once touchiness is gone.

Marya

Postby Marya » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:21 pm

Nikkie111 wrote:Thyromate is supposed to help with thyroid but ultimately gut has to be clean ...

Sorry about this. Nikkie, could you please let us know about anything you tried it to clean the gut? I've tried inulin, and it seems ok but I'm looking for something else. I do suffer from constipation even when I'm on inulin.

Marya

Postby Marya » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:29 pm

FatherOf2 wrote:
Tyrosine still scares me after reading this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/comments/61k6zd/need_some_help_schizophrenia_and_ltyrosine/. Palmitoylethanolamide looks interesting. I will read more. Have you tried it?

My son was better yesterday on just one capsule of Vayarin, but still touchy. For now, I am going to stop Vayarin and EGCG (I started EGCG on weekend). Perhaps EGCG removes too much iron. I will try it again alone once touchiness is gone.

Be careful with Tyrosine, I have read that post, it doesn't seem safe for schizophrenics. My brother was taking Adderall before he has the full symptoms of Schizophrenia, before that he was high functioning, now he is labelled as Schizophrenic unfortunately. From my experience I tried L-tyrosine with Rhodiola and I felt very very well just as that guy, but made me angry and had racing thoughts after that, I'm not sure if that Schizoaffective. If your son doesn't have a dopamine issue then it would be safe for him, but start slowly and watch the results. Rhodiola in its won is milder than Tyrosine, so I might take it again with low dose. Motivation, attention and well being are my targets but I don't know how to achieve them without touching dopamine. I was thinking to introduce Lion's mane hoping that nerve growth would resolve that issue.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:07 pm

Marya wrote:
Nikkie111 wrote:Thyromate is supposed to help with thyroid but ultimately gut has to be clean ...

Sorry about this. Nikkie, could you please let us know about anything you tried it to clean the gut? I've tried inulin, and it seems ok but I'm looking for something else. I do suffer from constipation even when I'm on inulin.

Inulin is an odd one isn't it as it's supposed to feed all sorts of bacteria ..... For constipation I give my boy Mag02 (it's like oxypowder) or a glass of very concentrated pruine juice in empty stomach and it does the trick. By clean gut I also mean good bacterial balance... You use probiotics? Have you done a stool test?

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:20 pm

FatherOf2 wrote:We did a couple of stool and OAT tests 3-4 years ago. No problems with bacteria, but yeast was elevated (Krusei and Baker's yeast). My son showed strong allergy to Baker's yeast in his blood test. We stopped two supplements that contained baker's yeast (Threelac and Floradix) and that resolved his loose stools back then.

It's great that he doesn't have bacteria issues... Does he have the good kind at all?

I have a feeling your boy reacted to PS as unfortunately it makes mast cells release histamine hence you saw your boy having this reaction .... Have you thought he might have a histamine issues? Especially as you mentioned his allergy? He could have histamine intolerance (easy to fix) or the mast cell/immune one....

Re Palmitoylethanolamide I ordered it as I'm on holiday and starting it on Tuesday when I'm back home(this is supposed to help with mast cells issues)..ordered DAO as well for little one as he has histamine intolerance :(

Marya

Postby Marya » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 pm

FatherOf2 wrote:

Hi FatherOf2, how is your son so far? any achievements?
I'm on NAC for almost a week now, on day 3 I was starting feeling better, more energy, better mood, calm and happy :) it reminds me of those days when I started taking MSM. But NAC I think is better than MSM that ease my panic, unlike MSM that gave me a bad panic, probably I should have reduce the dose of MSM(I was taking 3g) but anyways NAC is good enough that I may not need MSM. However today I'm not feeling the same after taking NAC but I'm under a lot of pressure but even though I don't have any panic, and this is still good enough. I will continue and record my reaction to it.
The good thing that I can still feel the cortisol/adrenaline but very light that I feel that I'm dreaming of it. So finally no fears :D

Apart from this, I was looking up NMDARs, and I've found this paper https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2811712/
If DAO inhibition were to markedly increase brain D-serine, it would not be without risks, because of the potential for oxidative damage217 and neurotoxicity.85,218.219 It might also lead to NMDAR internalisation, limiting its therapeutic value.

From what I understood is not very safe to increase D-serine in the brain due to oxidative damage and neurotoxicity. What do you think? And are you still looking for NMDARs treatment? From my report I have these recommendations Idebenone,
Piracetam,
Magnesium, Taurine,
Lithium orotate

I never thought that Magnesium and Taurine can activate NMDARs, I'm currently on them(Magnesium Citrate and Taurine powder) I take them both before bedtime and they calm me down.
From slefhacked page:
Magnesium L-Threonate – Elevation of brain magnesium increased NMDA receptors (NMDARs) signaling, BDNF expression, the density of presynaptic puncta, and synaptic plasticity in the prefrontal cortex

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22016520

I haven't taken Magnesium L-Threonate yet but I may give it a try if it help with NMDARs.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:14 pm

My son recovered from SIBs after I stopped Vayarin (phosphatidylserine). He is back to his normal. I haven't tried anything new. We are finishing HBOT. Two weeks left. I am glad that NAC is helping you. I read somewhere that people who take NAC develop tolerance eventually. Someone recommended taking it for just 3 days of a week and then 4 days break an so on. I am not sure if I ever give my son NAC again because it is known to cause mast cells to degranulate (opposite to stabilizing them) and release histamine. I tried Mg Threonate. Never saw anything. Someone recommended ionic Mg. It didn't do anything either.

I am no longer interested in boosting NMDA. After reading a lot about it and observing my son, I came to the conclusion that the right approach is reduce NMDA activation or convert as much glutamate to GABA as possible. But, I don't believe in supplements or herbs that activate GABA receptors. This usually causes tolerance. You may find this link helpful http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/54028-treating-anxiety-safely-effectively/. I agree with that poster. The right way to reduce anxiety is through the following pathways:
1. Reduce cortisol
- Quercetin
- Rhodiola
- Schisandra (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26889268)
- vitamin A
2. Increase serotonin
- Bacopa (may also increase GABA activity)
- Lexapro / Escitalopram (According to that longecity post: Escitalopram is the most effective and best tolerated out of all SSRIs. 5mg in most cases provides significant anxiolytic effect w/o side effects.)
3. Make GABA receptors more inhibitory by reducing Cl- ions
- Bumetanide (See epiphanyasd website. It was was mentioned in this article https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23130864-100-parents-giving-unproven-iqboosting-drugs-to-kids-with-downs/ as one of 3 substances that parents give to their Down syndrome children along with Prozac and EGCG)

As I already said several times here, for my own anxiety, I use propranolol. It works without sedation. There were clinical trials of propranolol for autism. But because it reduces heart rate, it is not something I am willing to give to my son on long-term basis. I only take propranolol when I am about to make a speech or meet with a high boss.

Marya

Postby Marya » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:56 pm

FatherOf2 wrote:My son recovered from SIBs after I stopped Vayarin (phosphatidylserine). He is back to his normal. I haven't tried anything new. We are finishing HBOT.

I'm glad that your son is feeling better, PS didn't suite me either. Could you please update about your best supplements/medications right now? And what are you giving to improve: Cognition, verbal skills and speech and energy and motivation

I am no longer interested in boosting NMDA. After reading a lot about it and observing my son, I came to the conclusion that the right approach is reduce NMDA activation or convert as much glutamate to GABA as possible.

I have the same feeling as you about NMDA activation that's why I've postponed Sarcosine for a while. The only thing is interested about NMDA activation is increasing energy, motivation and getting rid of procrastination. These 3 cases are very important for me, but I feel that I have a good energy from NAC. My brother has a serious low energy and lack of motivation, a way more than me, but I'm afraid to give him Sarcosine due to neurotoxicity and he is at high risk of this already.

But, I don't believe in supplements or herbs that activate GABA receptors. This usually causes tolerance. You may find this link helpful http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/54028-treating-anxiety-safely-effectively/. I agree with that poster. The right way to reduce anxiety is through the following pathways:
1. Reduce cortisol
- Quercetin
- Rhodiola
- Schisandra (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26889268)
- vitamin A
2. Increase serotonin
- Bacopa (may also increase GABA activity)
- Lexapro / Escitalopram (According to that longecity post: Escitalopram is the most effective and best tolerated out of all SSRIs. 5mg in most cases provides significant anxiolytic effect w/o side effects.)
3. Make GABA receptors more inhibitory by reducing Cl- ions
- Bumetanide (See epiphanyasd website. It was was mentioned in this article https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23130864-100-parents-giving-unproven-iqboosting-drugs-to-kids-with-downs/ as one of 3 substances that parents give to their Down syndrome children along with Prozac and EGCG

I did read all of that poster. However, I disagree about Niacin and Taurine. I read his statement about Taurine and I haven't found any issue regarding its effects in the brain and on GABA except it binds to the same receptors as GABA. I don't think it down-regulate GABA unless it is token at high doses. There are many studies and research out there that it up-regulate GABA level and also boost BDNF. Also a new studies about its effect on NMDA receptors. You would get 3 benefits from consuming Taurine, boosting GABA, boosting BDNF protein, activate NMDA receptors(I believe very little). My mother who was very anxious is calm and happy while on Taurine.
He mentioned Niacin may cause neurotoxicity at mega dose. I'm not sure about that as some doctors treat schizophrenics at mega dose. Apart from that I think Niacin is must taken for any brain disorders, I think 100mg is fine, what about the dose you give your son fatherof2, please?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:31 am

Marya, I am updating my first post in this thread regularly. At the end of it is my current list of supplements I am giving to my son. I consider those supplements are best for my son:

CURRENT LIST OF SUPPLEMENTS (8/14/2017):
AM:
    Antarctic Krill Oil with Astaxanthin (1000mg, contains EPA and DHA bonded with PC, helps with speech & focus)
    Doctors Best Fully Active B complex (no visible effect)
    Jarrow Toco-Sorb (mixed Tocotrienols and vit E, supposed to reduce seizures, no visible effect)
    Selenium (200mcg, works with vit E, increases glutathione, removes mercury, no visible effect)
    MRM Quercetin QU995 (500mg, reduces histamine, helps with awareness)
    Kre-Alkalyn Creatine (750mg, helps with awareness and muscles)
    Natural Factors Vitamin C Tangy Orange (2x500mg, chewable wafers, the only vit C that my son likes, no visible effect)
    Potassium (100mg, needed to supplement with Bumetanide, see below)
    Fiber Choice Inulin (2 gummies, according to Nemecheck protocol, I think it makes my son calmer)
    Rx meds: Trileptal (150mg, stabilizes EEG, reduces SIB), Lamictal (50mg, stabilizes EEG, helps with social), Bumetanide (0.5mg, helps with social)
PM:
    Taurine (500mg, helps with sleep, stabilzes EEG)
    Flaxseed Oil (supplies alpha linolenic acid that suppresses immune PERK/eIF2a signaling, which blocks protein synthesis in the brain)
    Fiber Choice Inulin (2 gummies, according to Nemecheck protocol, I think it makes my son calmer)
    Rx meds: Trileptal (150mg, stabilizes EEG, reduces SIB), Lamictal (50mg, stabilizes EEG, helps with social), Bumetanide (0.5mg, helps with social), Lexapro (5mg, for anxiety)

My son has been on this list for about 6 months and it seems to be helping him. I tried EGCG and it made my son more autistic, more funky moves with his hands. So, I stopped it. I stopped Vayarin because of SIBs. I looked at other flavonoids, but they all seem to be doing the same thing. So, there is no reason to try more than Quercetin, which seems to combine many positives of all flavonoids in one. Here are my recommendations based on my son experience:

For verbal skills: fix EEG first (Trileptal, Lamictal). Then reduce anxiety with Lexapro, Quercetin and Bumetanide. Social interactions are a best trigger of speech. If a child anxious and doesn't interact with typical peers, you can't expect verbal skills.

For energy: Kre-Alkalyn Creatine.

For motivation, focus and cognition: I haven't found any drugs or supplements yet except for ADHD stimulants, but they are not for my son. I use a reward system on my son and it works.

For sleep: Taurine. Besides binding to GABA receptors, Taurine actually increases GAD67 enzyme, which converts glutamate to GABA.

For behaviors: Inulin and Trileptal. Avoid blood sugar fluctuations, avoid sweets, avoid anything that would increase histamine.

Overall ASD symptoms: Need to reduce brain inflammation. In my son it seems to be connected to mast cell degranulation and histamine. Nikkie seems to benefit from immune boosters (shifting immune response from fighting allergies to fighting viruses), which is the area I want to explore next. But immunity is hard to understand and easy to screw. Even if you had PhD in immunology and figured out which Th is dominant in your body and which cytokines and antibodies are being produced, you still will be looking at only a small piece of a big puzzle. After reading about various natural antivirals, I only feel comfortable with Olive Leaf Extract and Astragalus.

Everyone is different. You should not assume that the above supplements will help everyone.

Marya

Postby Marya » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 am

FatherOf2 wrote:Marya, I am updating my first post in this thread regularly. At the end of it is my current list of supplements I am giving to my son.

Sorry I didn't know that. Thank you so much for your post. What about B3? Do you still give your son B3 individually? If so, what dose you give?
And what about Galantamine? I've read a lot about it and it seems very good even for schizophrenics.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:40 am

Marya wrote:Sorry I didn't know that. Thank you so much for your post. What about B3? Do you still give your son B3 individually? If so, what dose you give?
And what about Galantamine? I've read a lot about it and it seems very good even for schizophrenics.

I give B3 as part of Doctor's Best Fully Active B-Complex. It has 50mg of B3 as niacin and niacinamide. I used to give it individually as niacinamide years ago. But I didn't see anything except for flushes. I don't see anything from the B-complex either. I am just giving it as a vitamin, not a treatment. I have read about B3 (+ vit C) helping schizophrenics and even wrote a lengthy post about it here. As with any other supplement, you have to try it and see if does anything.

I like Galantamine, but I wouldn't put it on the list of best supplements/drugs because its effect lasts only 2-3 weeks in my son. During those 2-3 weeks, the effect is very noticeable, my son is more talkative and social, but hyperactive too. When I told our doctor about the short-lasting effect of Galantamine, he was very surprised. Piracetam effect lasted for months until the gains plateaued. But at least they didn't disappear like in Galantamine's case. Piracetam helped my son to start talking when he was 3, which was great. I tried Piracetam several times in the last 5 years, but all it does is to make my son talk to himself, which I don't like. Interestingly EGCG made my son talk to himself too, do more funky hand movements, seemed to be more detached, and count all day long. Depending on the child's skills (can talk or not, can count or not) those "side effects" can either be a progress or a regression. I didn't put Galantamine or Piracetam on the list because you only asked for the best supplements/medications that I was giving to my son right now.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”