My supplement/drug list for ASD

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

FatherOf2
Posts: 1664
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 am

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:36 pm

Marya wrote:I tried Bacopa last year and some time this year. I tried Paradise then swtiched to Himalaya. I think Himalaya made me calm, not sure if it boosted cognition. However, I have read a lot of reviews about it and most of them claiming that it reduces anxiety and balance dopamine.
I'm thinking to try Natrure's answer this time, I was thinking of trying Doctor's best but it is out of stock!
I think I will take it on those days when I'm stressed or irritable but not everyday.

I called Doctor's Best last week. They told they will have their Bacopa by mid December. Meanwhile, I have been giving KeenMind from Prothera, which is supposed to be the same Bacopa as Doctor's Best (KeenMind = CDR-08, Doctor's Best = Synapsa, but CRD-08 = Synapsa). The problem with KeenMind is that it has a lot of fillers. I pored the contests of three capsules: Doctor's Best Synapsa, KeenMind CDR-08 and Nootropics Depot Synapsa. Doctor's Best had the greenest color (lowest amount of fillers), followed by Nootropics Depot and then KeenMind. On a positive side, KeenMind is the brand used in clinical trials on autistic kids in Australia, where by the way the company that makes CDR-08 and Synapsa is located (Flordis): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4690059/ KeenMind is also more convinient for me to give because it has the right dose for kids, 160mg, whereas I had to break Doctor's Best 320mg capsule into two halves. But, once Doctor's Best is available again, I am switching back to it.

Marya
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby Marya » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:59 pm

FatherOf2 wrote:I called Doctor's Best last week. They told they will have their Bacopa by mid December. Meanwhile, I have been giving KeenMind from Prothera, which is supposed to be the same Bacopa as Doctor's Best (KeenMind = CDR-08, Doctor's Best = Synapsa, but CRD-08 = Synapsa). The problem with KeenMind is that it has a lot of fillers. I pored the contests of three capsules: Doctor's Best Synapsa, KeenMind CDR-08 and Nootropics Depot Synapsa. Doctor's Best had the greenest color (lowest amount of fillers), followed by Nootropics Depot and then KeenMind. On a positive side, KeenMind is the brand used in clinical trials on autistic kids in Australia, where by the way the company that makes CDR-08 and Synapsa is located (Flordis): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4690059/ KeenMind is also more convinient for me to give because it has the right dose for kids, 160mg, whereas I had to break Doctor's Best 320mg capsule into two halves. But, once Doctor's Best is available again, I am switching back to it.

Thanks Fatherof2 for letting me know. I will order Doctor's Best when they have it in stock by mid December.
I didn't know that you are still giving it to your son. For how long have you been giving it? And what have you noticed?
Do you know that it is one of those natural supplements that meant to balance dopamine? Plus it increases serotonin and GABA. I think that's how it reduce anxiety https://bebrainfit.com/too-much-dopamine/

FatherOf2
Posts: 1664
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 am

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 am

Marya wrote:Thanks Fatherof2 for letting me know. I will order Doctor's Best when they have it in stock by mid December.
I didn't know that you are still giving it to your son. For how long have you been giving it? And what have you noticed?
Do you know that it is one of those natural supplements that meant to balance dopamine? Plus it increases serotonin and GABA. I think that's how it reduce anxiety https://bebrainfit.com/too-much-dopamine/

I have been giving it for about a year. I didn't notice any effect on dopamine, but it slightly reduces anxiety and irritability.

Marya
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby Marya » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:02 pm

FatherOf2 wrote:I have been giving it for about a year. I didn't notice any effect on dopamine, but it slightly reduces anxiety and irritability.

Thanks Fatherof2. I took it the first time for a month then this year for 3 months. I'm the same as your son, didn't notice that much. But I will take it again or probably for those days when I'm stressed.
A question came to my mind, have you ever checked your son's amino acids in urine?
I checked almost everything in my blood stream but never checked amino acids so I'm thinking to check them, just in case something is missing.

FatherOf2
Posts: 1664
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 am

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 pm

Marya wrote:Thanks Fatherof2. I took it the first time for a month then this year for 3 months. I'm the same as your son, didn't notice that much. But I will take it again or probably for those days when I'm stressed.
A question came to my mind, have you ever checked your son's amino acids in urine?
I checked almost everything in my blood stream but never checked amino acids so I'm thinking to check them, just in case something is missing.

We checked pretty much everything under the sun, including amino acids in urine. These tests are mostly useless. They are only indicative of a disease if something is 10 times out of range. I thought that the thyroid test was very important. But now after two doctors saying that I don't have to worry about above-range antibodies to thyroid in the most recent test, I wonder why then do these tests at all. To catch some gross errors in metabolism? You can test those amino acids in urine just to feel comfortable that you didn't leave any stones unturned. I bet that if you see something outside of a reference range, supplementing it wouldn't make a big difference. In the end, it is all trial and error. Tests don't help to narrow it down most of the time.

Marya
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby Marya » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:01 am

Thanks Fatherof2 for your reply. I think I will leave that for a while. I've ordered Piracetam :D so I will be taking it for the first time ever! I'm so excited :D
I heard that Noopept is good as well, have you tried it?
I'm also thinking of huperzine A since it is acetylcholinesterase inhibitors instead of taking prescribed Galantamine. So I can cycle it with CDP-Choline, or maybe I would take huperzine A in the weekends and CDP-Choline during the week days..

i-jerry
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby i-jerry » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Nikkie111 wrote:Fo2 wanted to let you know we've been on cordyceps for nearly two weeks and the gains are really really good. Even my youngest who's hard work had some good progress on it! Buhner has it mainly for brain inflammations - it's his no1 for this- so I wonder if my oldest' cognitive gains is from lowering inflammation or increasing dopamine. God knows! But I do give him now the particular rhodiola that you give us as well and ok he looks and behaves like normal kid. Particularly his interests and social abilities have shot up. On the downside he's tiny but more hyper but prefer this than sleepy look :D

Thanks for the rhodiola tip and for reminding me about cordyceps (which we give in high quantities by the way, 1tsp doesn't do much!)


do you have cordyceps from US or China? I know it helps a lot on immune function and it's very popular in China. But not sure about the quality, is there anywhere could buy organic cordyceps? and how much do you use for your boys? thanks.

i-jerry
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby i-jerry » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:45 pm

Nikkie111 wrote:
FatherOf2 wrote:
Nikkie111 wrote:Fo2 wanted to let you know we've been on cordyceps for nearly two weeks and the gains are really really good. Even my youngest who's hard work had some good progress on it! Buhner has it mainly for brain inflammations - it's his no1 for this- so I wonder if my oldest' cognitive gains is from lowering inflammation or increasing dopamine. God knows! But I do give him now the particular rhodiola that you give us as well and ok he looks and behaves like normal kid. Particularly his interests and social abilities have shot up. On the downside he's tiny but more hyper but prefer this than sleepy look :D

Thanks for the rhodiola tip and for reminding me about cordyceps (which we give in high quantities by the way, 1tsp doesn't do much!)

Thanks. That is great news! I already purchased Cordyceps bag and it is waiting for me to start using it. My son is riding a good wave on Rhodiola. So far the effect is still going. Interestingly, the same brand Perfect has another supplement with Rhodiola and Cordyceps combined slong with Acai.

I had a look at the one you mentioned with cordyceps and it's only sinesis unfortunately which Buhner is really fond of but the one we used had militaris as well. Also I don't think few capsules are enough I have to say I give a lot :lol: , minimum 2 heaped tablespoons a day! I started last year just wish quarted tsp as I remember someone af another forum had mentioned that it can increase glutamate but that kind of quantity did absolutely nothing!
Also forgot to tell you my oldest started stimming on it for couple of days which was odd as he hasn't done this for over a year but I backed off for a day and he stopped doing it! So like rhodiola we probably shouldn't give daily! But the excitement, energy and interest he has for people, friends toys etc is amazing!!!! He's absolutely amazing on play dates, went to new holiday club and absolutely loved it and I even brought him to my work for good 7 hours and he was a star!! I still have him daily on cycloferon/anamu for NK cells especially on flu season so he already managed a good percentage of his recovery on this, but rhodiola with cordyceps topped it, no words at all!!! Really really worth trying (in gigantic dosages :wink: )


Hi Nikkie, it's so happy to see your older boy had a such good gain! May I know where did you order both cordyceps and Rhodiola in the UK?
my son has quercetin for 4 days and on today he has cold and crying a lot. OCD behavior shows again. I think it might not good for him or maybe die-off? by the way, does cordyceps and rhodiola help on speech? does your older boy still on valtrex? I actually ordered cycloferonn but haven't use it yet. His copper and arsenic show very high in urine test. Do you think i should chelated some metal and then to add valtrex or it could use in the same time?
thank you.

Marya
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby Marya » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Hi fatherof2, isn't G72 gene that you were talking about that cause NMDA receptors dysfunction? Please see this study
http://www.nature.com/articles/tp201674 ... lback=true
It is a new study!

FatherOf2
Posts: 1664
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 am

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby FatherOf2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:13 am

Marya wrote:Hi fatherof2, isn't G72 gene that you were talking about that cause NMDA receptors dysfunction? Please see this study
http://www.nature.com/articles/tp201674 ... lback=true
It is a new study!

G72 mutation that my son (TT) is seen in 23.5% of population. So, it is highly unlikely that it causes schizophrenia by itself. Otherwise the schizophrenia rate would be at least 23.5% and not 1%. So, other mutations come into play too. Until scientists figured out the exact set of mutations leading to schizophrenia, I am not going to worry. And if my son ends up having those pathogenic mutations, I will use genetic editing to get rid of them. Genetic editing is becoming more and more popular. It could also help you and your brother. Nothing else, even stem cells, have a power of curing genetic-based diseases. The challenge is identifying these mutations and not screwing something else.

I will give you an example. My son has MTHFR A1298C homozygous mutation seen in 0.01% of population. It affects BH4 recycling and neurotransmitter synthesis. I can irresponsibly think that I need to correct it to cure my son. Suppose that I go ahead and edit it back to normal so that my son start producing enough of serotonin and dopamine. But he also has homozygous MAO-A mutation (warrior gene), which slows down the neurotransmitter breakdown. By correcting MTHFR A1298C alone, my son may end with too much neurotransmitters and even worse symptoms. So, I will have to correct the MAO-A mutation too. I may need to correct Thr4Pro mutation as well because it also affects neurotransmitters. So, where do I stop?

Marya
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby Marya » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:05 am

FatherOf2 wrote:G72 mutation that my son (TT) is seen in 23.5% of population. So, it is highly unlikely that it causes schizophrenia by itself. Otherwise the schizophrenia rate would be at least 23.5% and not 1%. So, other mutations come into play too. Until scientists figured out the exact set of mutations leading to schizophrenia, I am not going to worry.

I agree with you. C72 doesn't cause schizophrenia by itslef. I have that mutation myself and some other mutations that affect neurotransmitters but I'm a typical Aspergers and I have no SZ symptoms, thank God! If I could control my cognition issue, I would be completely normal and those mutations would do nothing!

And if my son ends up having those pathogenic mutations, I will use genetic editing to get rid of them. Genetic editing is becoming more and more popular. It could also help you and your brother. Nothing else, even stem cells, have a power of curing genetic-based diseases. The challenge is identifying these mutations and not screwing something else.

If it would help my brother we would do it for him since his SZ is severe and he is on medications for more than 5 years now with no improvments! Please let me know about it if you have any information and I will do my research. How much basically would cost? And where about the best place to do it?

I will give you an example. My son has MTHFR A1298C homozygous mutation seen in 0.01% of population. It affects BH4 recycling and neurotransmitter synthesis. I can irresponsibly think that I need to correct it to cure my son. Suppose that I go ahead and edit it back to normal so that my son start producing enough of serotonin and dopamine. But he also has homozygous MAO-A mutation (warrior gene), which slows down the neurotransmitter breakdown. By correcting MTHFR A1298C alone, my son may end with too much neurotransmitters and even worse symptoms. So, I will have to correct the MAO-A mutation too. I may need to correct Thr4Pro mutation as well because it also affects neurotransmitters. So, where do I stop?

I think if you edit one gene mutation that was reducing neurotransmitters synthesis, your son wouldn't end with too much neurotransmitters, unless you edit all those genes which do that, so all those genes will increase the production of neurotransmitters, isn't it?
I have homozygous MAO-A but I think I have other genes that cancel that gene out.

Apart from that, have you looked it that paper? :D It seems very interesting and it is basically a new study. I think I would stick to NAC since I have that mutation, and probably in the future will add D-serine but never Sarcosine, I tried it and it was ponitless!

Marya
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby Marya » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:14 am

Deleted repeated post.
Last edited by Marya on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

FatherOf2
Posts: 1664
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 am

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby FatherOf2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:51 am

I just read this article. The authors are not specific about which mutation in G72 gene they are talking about: rs701567 or some other mutation? Even rs701567 has three different possibilities each one creating different outcomes depending on gene GRIN2B mutation: https://open.uct.ac.za/bitstream/item/17799/Horn_Psychosisrelapse_2010.pdf?sequence=1, figure 1. The only interesting part of this article suggests that G72 effect on DAO enzyme in the dentate gyrus (DG) part of the brain is negligible, and that the negative effect is on oxidative stress, which is why NAC helps (as an anti-oxidant). If that is the case, other anti-oxidants should help as well. NAC has sulfur which makes my son extremely irritable and self--injurious. I tried NAC of different brands twice most recently and both times defiance and self-injury shot up. Perhaps I should have tried it with molybdenum, which helps with sulfur digestion.

One more thing, the MAO homozygous mutation happens in 50% of population. So, if you assume that those with DAO amd MAO mutations are schizophrenic, then 0.24x0.5 = 0.12 or 12% of population would be schizophrenic. So, we are missing a couple of other mutations. Besides the most widely accepted cause of scizophrenia is still over sensitive dopamine D2 receptors. That is why all antipsychotic drugs are based on blocking these receptors. The dysfunctional NMDA receptors is still just a theory. Perhaps whatever causes dysfunctional D2 receptors also leads to d serine and NMDA problems. It is hard to say. But dysfunctional D2 receptors can be a result of drug abuse, not necesserily genetic mutations.

Marya
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby Marya » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:36 am

I meant to say NAC is interesting for brain disorders and specifically for NMDA receptors according to that study. I didn't want to drag the thread to schizophrenia genes mutations. I apologise if that what was understood from my post.
By the way, I have DAO mutation, MAO-A, and also BDNF. And I'm not schizophrenic. So I wouldn't assume those genes cause Schizophrenia. As you said it could be due to drugs abuse or other complicated genes.

Nikkie111
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:26 am

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby Nikkie111 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:05 am

i-jerry wrote:
Nikkie111 wrote:
FatherOf2 wrote:Thanks. That is great news! I already purchased Cordyceps bag and it is waiting for me to start using it. My son is riding a good wave on Rhodiola. So far the effect is still going. Interestingly, the same brand Perfect has another supplement with Rhodiola and Cordyceps combined slong with Acai.

I had a look at the one you mentioned with cordyceps and it's only sinesis unfortunately which Buhner is really fond of but the one we used had militaris as well. Also I don't think few capsules are enough I have to say I give a lot :lol: , minimum 2 heaped tablespoons a day! I started last year just wish quarted tsp as I remember someone af another forum had mentioned that it can increase glutamate but that kind of quantity did absolutely nothing!
Also forgot to tell you my oldest started stimming on it for couple of days which was odd as he hasn't done this for over a year but I backed off for a day and he stopped doing it! So like rhodiola we probably shouldn't give daily! But the excitement, energy and interest he has for people, friends toys etc is amazing!!!! He's absolutely amazing on play dates, went to new holiday club and absolutely loved it and I even brought him to my work for good 7 hours and he was a star!! I still have him daily on cycloferon/anamu for NK cells especially on flu season so he already managed a good percentage of his recovery on this, but rhodiola with cordyceps topped it, no words at all!!! Really really worth trying (in gigantic dosages :wink: )


Hi Nikkie, it's so happy to see your older boy had a such good gain! May I know where did you order both cordyceps and Rhodiola in the UK?
my son has quercetin for 4 days and on today he has cold and crying a lot. OCD behavior shows again. I think it might not good for him or maybe die-off? by the way, does cordyceps and rhodiola help on speech? does your older boy still on valtrex? I actually ordered cycloferonn but haven't use it yet. His copper and arsenic show very high in urine test. Do you think i should chelated some metal and then to add valtrex or it could use in the same time?
thank you.


Hiya

Cordyceps helps bring down brain inflammation so it should help with speech as well . No we are not on valtrex anymore, just alternating between cycloferon and groprinosin and antivirals/antibiotic herbs. Yes you can chelate if you want, I'm not a chelation fan anymore but you can try! And yes if your boy's liver is in a good state I'd add valtrex!

Nikkie111
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:26 am

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby Nikkie111 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:07 am

i-jerry wrote:
Nikkie111 wrote:Fo2 wanted to let you know we've been on cordyceps for nearly two weeks and the gains are really really good. Even my youngest who's hard work had some good progress on it! Buhner has it mainly for brain inflammations - it's his no1 for this- so I wonder if my oldest' cognitive gains is from lowering inflammation or increasing dopamine. God knows! But I do give him now the particular rhodiola that you give us as well and ok he looks and behaves like normal kid. Particularly his interests and social abilities have shot up. On the downside he's tiny but more hyper but prefer this than sleepy look :D

Thanks for the rhodiola tip and for reminding me about cordyceps (which we give in high quantities by the way, 1tsp doesn't do much!)


do you have cordyceps from US or China? I know it helps a lot on immune function and it's very popular in China. But not sure about the quality, is there anywhere could buy organic cordyceps? and how much do you use for your boys? thanks.


The only cordyceps that helped us was this one in powder:
http://www.bristolbotanicals.co.uk/pr-7161 2 full big spoons a day

I tried two more makes and they were rubbish! This was by far the best!

i-jerry
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby i-jerry » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Nikkie111 wrote:
i-jerry wrote:
Nikkie111 wrote:Fo2 wanted to let you know we've been on cordyceps for nearly two weeks and the gains are really really good. Even my youngest who's hard work had some good progress on it! Buhner has it mainly for brain inflammations - it's his no1 for this- so I wonder if my oldest' cognitive gains is from lowering inflammation or increasing dopamine. God knows! But I do give him now the particular rhodiola that you give us as well and ok he looks and behaves like normal kid. Particularly his interests and social abilities have shot up. On the downside he's tiny but more hyper but prefer this than sleepy look :D

Thanks for the rhodiola tip and for reminding me about cordyceps (which we give in high quantities by the way, 1tsp doesn't do much!)


do you have cordyceps from US or China? I know it helps a lot on immune function and it's very popular in China. But not sure about the quality, is there anywhere could buy organic cordyceps? and how much do you use for your boys? thanks.


The only cordyceps that helped us was this one in powder:
http://www.bristolbotanicals.co.uk/pr-7161 2 full big spoons a day

I tried two more makes and they were rubbish! This was by far the best!


Hi Nikkie, many thanks for your link and i'll order it for him tomorrow. One more question, may i mix milk thistle and Chinese skullcap together and give him to drink?

i-jerry
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby i-jerry » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Also does it take with empty stomach and twice a day?

i-jerry
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby i-jerry » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi Nikkie, i'm planning to order groprinosin on ebay and will try after holiday. Currently our strategy is

chelation to reduce copper and arsenic and others but especially for those two

methylation support

anti-viral by using herbs Chinese skullcap. is there any other could help? and will add valtrex later

immune function by using Reishi, Rhodiola rosea and Cordyceps. cycloferon or groprinosin is planning to add soon. Groprinpsin seems easy to buy from ebay or online pharmacy in poland. but i couldn't find anywhere to get groprinpsin, do you have any suggestion?
Also to use

My son is benefit from liver life. He takes two bottles and it reduced his dark black circle under eyes. But once it stopped the dark black circle comes out again. I'm planning to use it long term now.

Do I missing anything from here? Many thanks :D

i-jerry
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Re: My supplement/drug list for ASD

Postby i-jerry » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:46 pm

one more thing need to add

does anyone know how to boost magnesium level? We are using Ionic Magnesium from metabolis, Chelated mag from Doctor best and magnesium lotion from ancient mineral everyday. Epsom salt bath 3 or 4 times a week. But his blood plasma magnesium is alway low and very higj in urine test. I believe it's dumping from his urine.
Injection or IV is not the option for us.
Thanks in advance


Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”