L-Carnitine or Acetyl L-Carnitne ?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

nautygarcon

L-Carnitine or Acetyl L-Carnitne ?

Postby nautygarcon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi all,

My boy is of 3 years old and I'm thinking to add L-carnitine or ALC. He showed a little bit high total carnitine level (his is 63 and normal upper limit 62) and very high carnitine ester level (his is 24 and normal upper limit is 12) with his blood test. In his past OAT we've seen some fat metabolism problem as well.

Does anyone know which one should we choose LC or ALC to help his mito function ?

Many thanks,
Nautygarcon

OneRockAtATime

Re: L-Carnitine or Acetyl L-Carnitne ?

Postby OneRockAtATime » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:56 pm

They are two different forms of the same Amino Acid, but they work differently. The L-Carnitine helps the body convert fat into energy, so it’s typically used by people who are exercising and/or trying to lose weight. The Acetyl L-Carnitine is essentially a processed form of L-Carnitine that can pass the blood-brain barrier to help energize the brain.

^^^^answer from the internet

We use Acetyl l-Carnitine for brain function, for my son this specific supplement helps greatly, greatly, greatly with his receptive language.

nautygarcon

Postby nautygarcon » Thu May 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Thank you so much Onerockatatime! Our DAN recommended ALC but he told me that we can also add LC at the same time. I began ALC 150mg 3 times with meal the 1st day, the 2nd day 200mg, and 250mg the 3rd day. It seems that my son is more aware and more with us. What dose do you use for your child ? I heard some side effects of ALC and LC so we should be careful with the dose.

OneRockAtATime

Postby OneRockAtATime » Thu May 04, 2017 5:58 pm

The ALC seems to make my son understand language so much more. I can tell if he has been without it for two days. He takes 1,000 mg a day and we have never seen any side effects. He has been taking it for probably 10 years. It is one thing we can't live without.

don_long

Postby don_long » Fri May 12, 2017 2:49 pm

I use Acetyl l-Carnitine!

Marya

Postby Marya » Fri May 12, 2017 6:04 pm

OneRockAtATime wrote:The ALC seems to make my son understand language so much more. I can tell if he has been without it for two days. He takes 1,000 mg a day and we have never seen any side effects. He has been taking it for probably 10 years. It is one thing we can't live without.

I'm taking it myself and I found it very good. However, I already read about it and they mentioned that it increases levels of both norepinephrine and serotonin. Consider that norepinephrine is adernaline, I wouldn't want it to be high as I think it is already high. What do you think about the way it works?
I think it is also good for proper Mitochondria function.

OneRockAtATime

Postby OneRockAtATime » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:09 am

It does not seem to interfere with his sleep, so I'm inclined to think he needs the dose he is taking.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”