Curious about side effects with 5-mthf

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

pauchis

Curious about side effects with 5-mthf

Postby pauchis » Mon May 15, 2017 11:48 am

My son just turned 4 years old in March, and I've been using Biomed since he was 2 years old, way before he was diagnosed. He is very functional, do not have sensory issues and speaks a lot. His main problems are in attention, communication because his talking sometimes is not so clear and some social.
I have some questions regarding some of the supplements that I use with him now. We did the test for the MTHFR gene, he has one heterozygous, so the doctor recommended to use 5-mthf plus MB12, to activate folic acid. I started with the 5-mthf as recommended, first with a low dose 1mg. and after one week to increase it and give him twice the dose. I saw a little improvement in the first week, in general, he seemed happier, but a couple of weeks later, I noticed him a little more withdrawn, he doesn't want to play with kids too much and went back to certain games that he used to play before. I think he is getting more anxious, I 've never seen him like this.
Also, my son doesn't want to take the MB12 intranasal. He got scared after he saw the color of it and says that it hurt him. I would like to know if I can use this supplement in another form, can I give it to him by mouth?
Now, I reduced the 5-mthf to 1mg one time a day, he seems okay but is not completely fine, still quiet and kind of shy.
I would like to know if somebody has experienced this when using these supplements. Should I wait or just completely stop using them.
By the way, from before he takes Super-nuthera, l-theanine, D3, Zinc and Iron, plus I give him probiotics and fish oil. Sometimes enzymes too. He eats GFCF.
Thanks for any comments.

riggie

Re: Curious about side effects with 5-mthf

Postby riggie » Mon May 15, 2017 3:35 pm

Increasing 5-mthf can cause some irritability so the recommendation is to increase slowly. Did you increase to 2mg by dosing all at the same time or did you add a 1mg as an evening dose? If you had not split the doses, I would say spreading the dosage during the day would help. I have our 9 year old daughter (~53 lbs) on 7.5mg morning and 7.5mg at dinner FYI.

Methyl B-12 is important to have on board as it works with the folate in the methylation cycle. The best method of dosing MB12 is by a subcutaneous (just under the skin) injection in the upper butt area. This may sound scary but it is really no big deal and many, many parents are doing this. We've been dosing this for 5 years to our daughter and doesn't even know it! We do it at night while she is asleep and put a numbing cream on prior. I do this every other night and really have issues with her waking. I don't think oral forms are very effective in getting it to where it needs to go.

pauchis

Postby pauchis » Wed May 17, 2017 10:55 am

Thank you, Riggie for your comment.
I was a little apprehensive about the injection, my DAN doctor offered them, but I chose the intranasal. After your reply I looked for some videos about how to put the injection and looks like is not so difficult.
One question, which are the improvements that you saw in your daughter? and also, how long does your doctor said that she should be using them?
I know each case is different, and I will ask my Dan too, but I was thinking if he will have to use it for life because of the gene mutation.

Thank you very much again.

riggie

Postby riggie » Wed May 17, 2017 1:58 pm

We have been giving MB12 shots for the last 5 years dosed either every other night or every 3 nights (depending on how lazy I am these days honestly). There is no harm in using long-term obviously as the body will get rid of any excess in the system through the urine. We are looking to keep this on board as long as we continue supplementing with 5-mthf.

Our daughter is also heterozygous for one SNP of MTHF which is the C677T. The other main one to be concerned with is the A1298C. Do you know which heterozygous copy your son has? We haven't necessarily seen a huge WOW with MB12 itself, but the combination of B12 and folate has helped being more "tuned in" and less spacy. Our daughter sounds similar to your son in that she is also high functioning, but struggles with attention, focus, social use of communication and speech articulation. These days her attention has really improved. We are just trying to catch up with her peers socially and clean up her articulation errors. Other supplements that have helped us are Carnitine, Creatine and addressing underlying infections (Lyme, Bartonella, Clostridia, EBV, and general gut dysbiosis) using antibiotics and herbs.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”