Methylfolate dose to start for 2.5 yr old?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Prefect

Methylfolate dose to start for 2.5 yr old?

Postby Prefect » Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi,

I'm the father of a 2.5 yr old boy just diagnosed with ASD.

I also personally suffer (for 20 yrs) from an affective disorder which involves many inexplicable symptoms that would have me fall under some subset of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

I've noticed a lot of biomedical treatments for both conditions are in common.

This puts me in the unique position of using myself as a guinea pig for a supplement before I try anything on my kid.

I've recently tested myself for methylation mutations and it turns out I have a pretty impressive case of it (homozygous for MTHFR A1298C - heterozygous for MTHFR C677T).

My kid's mother also has a cousin who had a kid with neural tube defects.

So if there is anything to this methylation theory, my kid would be the double whammy poster boy.

I would like to try the methylation protocol on him (in spite of my skepticism) just to see what happens. I don't think it could harm him.

What would be a good starting methylfolate dosage for a 2.5 yr old (I know I need to use a 1 to 0.8 ratio of methylfolate to methylB2 ration)?

Please refrain from suggesting any other supplements on this post, unless you really really think it's worthwhile :wink:, because you'll just confuse me.

I like to try one thing a month or 2 at a time to see what's helping and what's not, before I try something else.

Cheers,

Nikkie111

Re: Methylfolate dose to start for 2.5 yr old?

Postby Nikkie111 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:14 am

The usual is to start with 1mg a day possibly divided twice a day- not sure it's gonna do much without mb12 though. I think the idea is that folate is turning into glutamate if unused

HTH

Prefect

Postby Prefect » Tue May 30, 2017 7:13 pm

How much methyl B12 would you give with the 1 mg Methylfolate dose to a toddler?

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:11 pm

Prefect wrote:How much methyl B12 would you give with the 1 mg Methylfolate dose to a toddler?

You see we do the injections and I think we give about 0.5ml for his weight. If you're thinking of injections they calculate the dosage based on his weight. If you go for other forms of mb12 they are not as absorbable so I wouldn't worry that much you can give whatever is recommended in the bottle. Anyhow they wee out whatever b12 is not used its pretty safe as I was told - I just started giving my older boy's injections to my 2,5 yo so I personally am not that worried about dosage

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”