Advice on Calming

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Maryanne W

Advice on Calming

Postby Maryanne W » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:37 pm

Hi All -

We have been having a little problem lately that I was hoping someone might have some input on - my daughter fell about a month ago and cut her head - ended up getting 5 stitches and it was extremely traumatic for her - it took three people to hold her down and they covered her face so she couldn't see - it would be understandable that this would cause her to be fearful - it was traumatic for me just to watch - let alone what she must have gone through -

Well - it has been a while now - and she hasn't gotten over it - and she seems to be fearing more things every day - and her responses are violent - kicking - hitting - screaming - it started with not letting me put cream on the "boo boo" - now she won't tolerate cutting her hair, cutting her finger nails, taking her temperature, she is even giving us an intermittent hard time during baths and sometimes goes totally off if I try to look and see if her diaper is dirty (what could that possibly have to do with banging her head???) - then she went to the doctor for her 3 year well visit the other day (a completely different facility and doctor) and she was fine until the doctor walked in the room (didn't even touch her yet) and she went completely off - again had to be held down -

I feel so sorry for her - I know that this really must have effected her - but her response seem so extreme - the anxiety seems to be increasing by the day in frequency and intensity - Does anyone know of something that might help with this anxiety before she ends just wanting to hide in her room all day? - Thanks, Maryanne
Maryanne W

Dana

Postby Dana » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:45 pm

Maryanne,

Oh the poor little dear, that is so awful that she had to have stitches :( It is so sad to know our child is fearful.....

Well, here is a few ideas, I hope something here might help, most are what we did to help my sons with hypersensitivity issues.

Hair cuts, play salon - get out a little chair and a doll and some play (plastic) scissors. Brush the dolls hair, have her brush the dolls hair. "Cut" the dolls hair, then have her "cut" the dolls hair. (We even tied on a bib as the cape). We did this everyday for about 2 weeks before his haircut. We also followed every daily skit with a social story of getting a hair cut.

Nails - Same as with the hair, use a doll to "cut" her nails and then let your daughter cut the dolls nails. Set it up as a little shop, with a clipper, little scissors, nail files, cotton balls, lotion.....

Bath - Fill the tub first, make lots of bubbles, and put a few floating toys in there. On the floor outside the tub (as a visual to intrige her into the room) lay out a brand new bucket with some more toys in it. On the side of the tub, to look soft and safe and inviting, lay a towel along the length, and put a few soft rags, sponges, poufs, etc. on the towel. Even if she only comes in to look, tell her great job! Maybe next time she will come in a play with the water and then the next time she may enter, or maybe right away the first time she'll climb in :D

Temperature - this is still a tricky one for my son, too. Especially when not feeling well, to then be approached. I usually just have to go by touch. Sorry, I wish I had a trick for this one :(

Biomedical - to calm anxiety, for my son taurine helps in high doses. Start low though, and gradually increase. 250 mg, working up. My son curently takes 1500 mg daily. Magnesium (Natural Calm, Ionic Fizz) also helps to calm, maybe if she feels a little more relaxed some anxiety will ease up as well. Gaba is good for stress as well as a B-complex.

I do hope she is feeling better on her ouchy, and hope that the fears pass very soon! I hope something here is helpful, best of luck,
Dana

Maryanne W

Postby Maryanne W » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:53 pm

Thank you so much Dana - you have a lot of great ideas - might actually help her with pretend play too - always nice to kill two birds with one stone - HA - She is already getting 535mg of taurine in her multi-vitamin -is there a particular time of day that you find beneficial to suppliment with more? - Thanks again, Maryanne
Maryanne W

Dana

Postby Dana » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:10 pm

I give my son 1000mg in the morning, and 500mg after school. I started with 250mg in the am, then added in an afternoon dose, then increased by 250mg every couple of days. My son is REALLY active and very sensory, he was also having trouble at school with sitting and attending and he also would push, kick and hit his peers if they got too close to him. For us, taurine at this dose has been a life saver and has given me back my little angel. Since increasing the taurine, all of these issues are gone. Giving taurine in the evening would help to relax and may carry over into the night. I don't know if it will help with sleep, but it may help out with the evening "wind down".
Dana

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”