Clinical study of Vasopressin V1a antagonist by Roche

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

FatherOf2

Clinical study of Vasopressin V1a antagonist by Roche

Postby FatherOf2 » Sat May 27, 2017 2:04 am

We visited a local psychiatrist who asked us if we wanted to participate in a clinical study of a new drug from Roche to block Vasopressin V1a receptors. Apparently, it will be already the second study on autistic patients, with extended age towards kids. It is named aViation. The previous study was called Vanilla and was targeted towards autistic adults. "Vasopressin, like the hormone oxytocin, is associated with parenting behavior and social bonding, including falling in love. In fact, the two hormones are structurally very similar, and there are receptors in the brain that interact with both of them. But high levels of vasopressin are also associated with anxiety and aggression. Intriguingly, some animal studies have found that higher levels of vasopressin increased aggression specifically in males. If the hormone is indeed treated differently by receptors in the male brain compared to those in the female brain, that’s all the more relevant for autism: nearly five times as many boys have autism compared to girls" https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/vasopressin-emerges-as-hormone-of-interest-in-autism-research/

Has anyone heard of these studies or have an opinion?

Nikkie111

Re: Clinical study of Vasopressin V1a antagonist by Roche

Postby Nikkie111 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:31 am

Personally I'd steer clear a) cause hormones would be the last thing i d mess with and b) I wouldn't want my kid to be a drugs experiment - no issue with meds at all but only when they're tested properly . Not sure what you gain from this anyway, drug is still on testing phase ....

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:44 am

I thought the same way:
1. I would have to commit to the study for almost 1 year without trying anything new besides the experimental drug.
2. For the first 3 months, I wouldn't even know if my son was getting a drug or placebo until he gets into the open label stage.
3. Even if the drug does wonders, I would have to stop it and wait until it is FDA approved, which may or may not happen, and even if it is approved, the approval may take 3 more years.

I was hoping to hear from someone, who already went through the first trial (Vanilla), to share the results.

Marya

Postby Marya » Sun May 28, 2017 9:41 am

Hi fatherof2, thanks for the info.
I wonder how can you know if you have Vasopressin V1a receptors issue? Does it have any gene code?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:08 am

I just found by searching internet that these SNP mutations affect Vasopressin: rs18059; rs27711; rs38041; rs10051637; rs1410713; rs857240; rs857242; rs10877970; rs3803107; and rs1495027. But, I am not really interested in Vasopressin study. When it is FDA approved, I will consider it.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”