..Stop Ritalin after 2 days?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Albert. S

..Stop Ritalin after 2 days?

Postby Albert. S » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:58 pm

My son started taking Ritalin 10mg once a day for two days. Its not good, many side effects. Can I just stop? And will he be oK?

....thanks.

FatherOf2

Re: ..Stop Ritalin after 2 days?

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:56 pm

My psychiatrist said that you can stop Ritalin abruptly. It has a short half life and is out of the body in a few hours. So, if you give Ritalin in am, it is out of the body by pm. It is equivalent to stopping it completely. I have been considering Focalin (extended release version of Ritalin) but after all considerations decided not to do it. It is known to make kids cranky when it wears out, reduces appettite, disturbs sleep, can cause seizures - everything I try to avoid.

raun cesar

Postby raun cesar » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:18 am

You can switch to alternatives, as Ritalin may give side effects to some people. Good Luck!!

Albert. S

Postby Albert. S » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:29 am

...@fatherof2, thanks for input. Yeah, he was ok. I figured 2 days is like a trial. Oh man, if there is one word for Ritalin its: Hijack. My boy turned into a cold, emotionless, irritable tool. Literally, ready to stab you, without consequences should something not go his way. Dang scary. Your better off dealing with meltdowns/behaviors with supplements and anything biomed if you can. We wont be going down this path.

@..raun cesar, .. we will do our best to stay away from meds. Thanks for chiming in.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”